Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

gently caress going to a match on a Friday night. Isn't this what brexit was supposed to stop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

#pogboom

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

4% spent dabbing?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Someone at my hotel is wearing an 18/19 Spurs kit with Rooney on the back :thunk:

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

fat gay nonce posted:

4% spent dabbing?

that sounds way too low

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Looke posted:

Someone at my hotel is wearing an 18/19 Spurs kit with Rooney on the back :thunk:

Maybe they were called Rooney

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Butterfly Valley posted:

Maybe it's a mirror?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Team of the Season, indeed.

brasstassels
Oct 26, 2007
I am glad the cool and good canaries are back in the Prem

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Big fan of Burnley me.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
go eat worms, fucker

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Eau de MacGowan posted:

go eat worms, fucker

Don't sign your posts

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

An absolute lol at the race for 4th

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Give Wolves the final CL spot imo

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

treizebee posted:

An absolute lol at the race for 4th
Three poo poo Clubs

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

They were not, I asked them about it in the end and apparently someone got them it as a joke :shrug:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Van Dijk won player of the year.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Big Dutch Power

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Vegetable posted:

Three poo poo Clubs

Shrapnig posted:

He should.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

Van Dijk is the best defender I have ever seen at Anfield.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
sterling won young player of the year lol

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Jose posted:

sterling won young player of the year lol

I was about to ask why that's so funny then noticed "young".

There's got to be some sort of change to that award rather than it just being age based. It should focus more on breakthrough players.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

like he absolutely deserves it since he fits the eligibility but it should probably be u-21 instead of u-23

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

it should be u21s because the youth teams are u21, its crazy that someone can win young player of the year but not be eligible for the youth team

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

u21 and <50 appearances before the start of the season imo

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

Young player of the year and veteran of 2 world cups Raheem Sterling.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

This is a really good article on just how much football has changed in the premier league in the last 10 years or so. Lots of advanced stats too

https://twitter.com/kenearlys/status/1122778286914965504

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Im 100% convinced that Liverpool are cursed. There is no other explanation for a team potentially ending up on 97 points and not winning the league. City have been incredible this year but gently caress sake, we have lost 1 game...

Draws are what have cost us, even then drawing 7 games over a season is pretty good. Especially when those draws came against City, Utd (during their "boom period"), Arsenal, Chelsea (during their little boom period), then Leicester, West Ham and Everton who really we should have beaten, those ones stung.

Slight meltdown here: If we don't win it, i don't see it as us bottling it. We haven't dropped points since the start of March (City have gone on longer which is insane too), pretty much every pundit expected both these teams to drop points somewhere before the end of the season but i just dont see it, both teams will win out and we will end up being confined to the annals of history as another "could have been".

Im not even sure we can replicate this next year, we had a shitload of stuff go our way this year and it looks like we are going to fall short.

There are some positives, we overturned a 20+ swing from last year and have made the title race interesting at least. We have had another deep run in the CL and could potentially beat Barca.

All in all, cursed. Post the "top at christmas" table etc. etc. etc.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

This is a really good article on just how much football has changed in the premier league in the last 10 years or so. Lots of advanced stats too

https://twitter.com/kenearlys/status/1122778286914965504

This is really interesting

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

CyberPingu posted:

Im 100% convinced that Liverpool are cursed. There is no other explanation for a team potentially ending up on 97 points and not winning the league. City have been incredible this year but gently caress sake, we have lost 1 game...

Draws are what have cost us, even then drawing 7 games over a season is pretty good. Especially when those draws came against City, Utd (during their "boom period"), Arsenal, Chelsea (during their little boom period), then Leicester, West Ham and Everton who really we should have beaten, those ones stung.

Slight meltdown here: If we don't win it, i don't see it as us bottling it. We haven't dropped points since the start of March (City have gone on longer which is insane too), pretty much every pundit expected both these teams to drop points somewhere before the end of the season but i just dont see it, both teams will win out and we will end up being confined to the annals of history as another "could have been".

Im not even sure we can replicate this next year, we had a shitload of stuff go our way this year and it looks like we are going to fall short.

There are some positives, we overturned a 20+ swing from last year and have made the title race interesting at least. We have had another deep run in the CL and could potentially beat Barca.

I don't see why we can't replicate this success. The first team are all signed long term, there's plenty of money sloshing around, and a better fitting backup striker might make the team better. Obviously Salah and Mane could gently caress off to Madrid and we drop back to the pack, but in general stuff feels sustainable.

The issue is that City could quite easily regularly hit 95+ points, unless they somehow fail to replace Fernandinho.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

CyberPingu posted:

The steps forward are fairly simple. Replace Sturridge with an actual decent rotation option up front (Werner would be amazing but really anyone Klopp wants is fine with me). Give Keita another season to cement his place in the midfield, whilst rehabilitating Ox. Replace Lovren with another CB option. Maybe buy another full back or promote one of the kids.

That should allow us to turn some of the draws into wins (our biggest problem was not being able to score when Salah/Mané were struggling). I don't think we'll go through another season losing 1 game but if we can keep that number under 5, and turn more of the draws into wins, then we'll get another 90 point season. Maybe we'll get unlucky again and City continue to be the best team ever, but gently caress you might as well try.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Maybe a City fan here can tell me a bit more, but whats the current state of their team in the long term? Aguero has probably what 2-3 more seasons and they seem to struggle a bit when hes out. Fernandinho is an obvious hole when hes injured, their defense is spotty especially at LB.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
mendys a crock, walker is poo poo and getting worse, stones and laporte are young and will grow into it, holding midfielder is a problem because fernas old and gundogans leaving, but pretty much every other position is double stocked for the next five years at least

im expecting pep to leave in the summer, if he doesnt id be surprised if he's still around after the next one. replacing him is going to be a lot harder because thats an even more limited pool.

gently caress off rafa

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Aguero is a funny player isn't he. Seems to be constantly struggling with injuries of varying degrees of severity, yet seems to always be able to bounce back and be insanely prolific and score in big games. He's also very rarely praised as much as other players despite being undoubtedly one of the best strikers to play in the premier league. I think a lot of pundits and fans kind of take him for granted.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Eau de MacGowan posted:

mendys a crock, walker is poo poo and getting worse, stones and laporte are young and will grow into it, holding midfielder is a problem because fernas old and gundogans leaving, but pretty much every other position is double stocked for the next five years at least

im expecting pep to leave in the summer, if he doesnt id be surprised if he's still around after the next one. replacing him is going to be a lot harder because thats an even more limited pool.

gently caress off rafa

Are the rumours around Sane leaving credible at all?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i havent heard anything about that, but the fact that for all his talent both pep and jogi low appear to distrust him says something

he also has tattoo of himself on his back, and he doesn't even have steve-o's excuse that he was really really high on heroin at the time, but that may be unrelated

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sane seems like the least Pep player in that squad, he looks like he can’t be bothered about 80% of the time

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

97 points would be the 3rd highest EPL point total ever behind the last 2 years of City.

No shame in that. They didn’t bottle anything. Just really loving unfortunate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

CyberPingu posted:

Think about it this way, though. How many times when Liverpool have mounted a league title in the past were they anywhere close to being the best-managed club or having the best squad in the league? The 2008-2009 had a massive quality drop when you hit the bench. 2013-2014 was very obviously driven by Suarez and Sturridge being uninjured. At least for me, neither of those times seemed like a natural progression from what Liverpool had been in the process of building.

And as far as losing to City, City are where they are due to 10+ years of incredible financial spending and some managerial trial and error that has led to an incredibly deep squad. What Pep has gotten them doing is what City have been building to since ADUG first took over. It's why they got Txiki Begiristain as their director of football back in 2012.

It will hurt if/when Liverpool don't win this season, but at least it does not feel like a one-off. There's been a lot of luck involved, but I still feel like this is much less of a surprise than any other Liverpool league challenge I've seen. FSG are decent owners. The manager and the transfer staff get along. The squad depth looks pretty decent and could get even better with some smart buys. No one seems prone to destroying the wage bill with quick panic buys that only drag the team down or move it sideways. I feel like the plan is there.

Now that I've typed this, watch all the wheels come off in a horrific fashion.