Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

It's like fallout was never supposed to be a serious setting and people who think it is should take their heads out their rear end. It's 50s but postpapocalyptic and with occasional edge lord dark humor.

yeah the old games were goofy as hell and were beloved for it, but Bethesda's team didn't realize that so we wound up with Fallout 3

New Vegas is best when it's not trying to be a serious gritty drama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 47 minutes!

Colonel Cancer posted:

It's like fallout was never supposed to be a serious setting and people who think it is should take their heads out their rear end. It's 50s but postpapocalyptic and with occasional edge lord dark humor.

I mean if people accept the premise "USA still existed in some form in 2077" they should just accept any ludicrous thing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fallout 2 was really dull and boring, like all isometric RPGs.

Wizardry clones forever.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Right on buddy where's Grimrock 3 already drat.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
2d games were a mistake. Now every "gamer" has to pretend that they were actually much better than games today.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Last I saw there was a statement from the dev team that they were too burned out from Grimrock 2 and decided to take a break from the series for an unspecified amount of time.

But the real reason I think there is not a Grimrock 3 is that Grimrock 2 didn't have nearly the return on investment that Grimrock 1 had.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

If youve not already got it, Operencia came out last month and aint bad. Much easier than the usual Wizardry clone but has interesting level design and is good exposure to eastern european take on mythologies.

A Wizardry and Chill if you will

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Grimrock and its sequel were pretty amazing, especially if you were willing to break the mold wrt classes.

Like an all/multi mage GR1 (yeah it'll get real annoying) or rat party with insanely high stats in GR2.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The Switch Pro controller is the best controller ever made.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Real shame the controller drops so many inputs it screws up a post slamming it this badly.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Vegetable posted:

try not shoving it up your rear end

I will never stop shoving it up my rear end

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

I'm sorry that you have the hands of a small child.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

FoolyCharged posted:

The n64 controller was fine and cool

the N64 controller is a piece of poo poo made for some weird person with 3 hands that assumes I want to use a trigger and an analog stick 1/2" away from the buttons on my right hand in the most awkward and terrible position possible; also gently caress anyone that thinks goldeneye was a good FPS.

QuarkJets posted:

yeah the old games were goofy as hell and were beloved for it, but Bethesda's team didn't realize that so we wound up with Fallout 3

New Vegas is best when it's not trying to be a serious gritty drama

it is too bad there will never be a real Fallout game again after NV because the setting was pretty sweet; but maybe I'm also getting old.

Vakal posted:

Last I saw there was a statement from the dev team that they were too burned out from Grimrock 2 and decided to take a break from the series for an unspecified amount of time.

But the real reason I think there is not a Grimrock 3 is that Grimrock 2 didn't have nearly the return on investment that Grimrock 1 had.

and this sucks because LoG1 and 2 were amazing games and you fuckers bitching about RPGs who didn't play them are the cause of this travesty.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 29, 2019

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MrQwerty posted:

it is too bad there will never be a real Fallout game again after NV because the setting was pretty sweet; but maybe I'm also getting old.

is Caesars legion or the NCR even mentioned at all in Fallout 4? new Vegas feels like a seperate universe apart from bethesda Fallout.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rutibex posted:

is Caesars legion or the NCR even mentioned at all in Fallout 4? new Vegas feels like a seperate universe apart from bethesda Fallout.

Exactly as much as people reference the events of Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Rutibex posted:

I don't think they are, but also 4 takes place in Boston so it's not too unreasonable that political struggles on the other side of the country wouldn't be known about.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I don't think they are, but also 4 takes place in Boston so it's not too unreasonable that political struggles on the other side of the country wouldn't be known about.

Super Mutants, BOS and Deathclaws don't make any loving sense in the setting if you played Fallout or Fallout 2, or read any of the Fallout Bibles when it was still in limbo and a P&P RPG; but Bethesda very specifically bought the assets and not the lore as evidenced by Fallout 3 and 4. Fallout 4 was basically a soft-restart as a story-"heavy" shooter, and 76 was... I don't know what 76 was, but I doubt anyone that actually worked on Fallout 1-2-NV has any interest in working on the franchise again after what happened with New Vegas.

This is surprising because Bethesda is amazing at writing 46 1,000 page books of lore but terrible at making a game about said lore or conveying that lore in any way, shape or form. You'd think they'd love the Fallout lore, but they loving hate it.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 29, 2019

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

except that the BOS, the enclave, super mutants etc. are already on the east coast without regard for in-universe consistency

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I think one of the characters is from NCR, but it’s mentioned like once. No mentions of House as far as I can remember (his name might show up on a message in some RobCo factory somewhere, idk) and no mention of Caesar

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the only way to save the fallout lore at this point is to retcon all of bethesda's contributions

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Fallout 3 and Uncharted have more interesting stories and are better games than nier automata

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

poverty goat posted:

the only way to save the fallout lore at this point is to retcon all of bethesda's contributions

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I definitely agree with it

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Sheen Sheen posted:

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I definitely agree with it

I agree 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000%

can't retcon NV though because that was not bethesda

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 29, 2019

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

ratbert90 posted:

It's almost there. If it had analog triggers it'd be perfect.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The next Fallout game should be made by Gearbox

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

The next Fallout game should be made by Gearbox

That would be a good way to piss off everyone and therefore I agree

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ratbert90 posted:

do you have a newer one because the early models at least had serious issues with the d-pad, is that no longer the case?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

food court bailiff posted:

do you have a newer one because the early models at least had serious issues with the d-pad, is that no longer the case?

I love me a DualShock4 but the switch pro controller is so well designed I want to gently caress it, and I hate offset controller patterns

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Everybody knows Megaman 8 has really terrible voice acting, but it doesn't get enough poo poo for the almost impossible to beat snowboard sections.

If you've never played, you're on a snowboard that speeds up as you move through the segment, and these little signs pop up and tell you when to slide or to jump. Except the problem is, if you move from a specific part exactly in the middle of the screen (like to dodge an enemy) the timing is all off and you'll jump too early or too late or slide right into some spikes. Even if you're exactly where you need to be, the timing will gently caress you over more often than not.

I've beaten every classic Megaman game but have never been able to beat the snowboard segment in Wily's Fortress in 8. I never will.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i beat that game as a two day rental when I was ten and I wasn’t some kind of game savant or anything

were you playing this recently because I can imagine it would be difficult on a cheap badly tuned lcd but have never understood complaints about that section, people act like it’s that level from battletoads or something

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I didn't think this could possibly be unpopular but the dualshock is the de facto perfect videogame controller, the face buttons, the triggers the dpad the analogue sticks. You couldn't make a better device.

The gamecube and n64 controllers were cool for how novel they were.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

MrQwerty posted:

Super Mutants, BOS and Deathclaws don't make any loving sense in the setting if you played Fallout or Fallout 2, or read any of the Fallout Bibles when it was still in limbo and a P&P RPG; but Bethesda very specifically bought the assets and not the lore as evidenced by Fallout 3 and 4. Fallout 4 was basically a soft-restart as a story-"heavy" shooter, and 76 was... I don't know what 76 was, but I doubt anyone that actually worked on Fallout 1-2-NV has any interest in working on the franchise again after what happened with New Vegas.

This is surprising because Bethesda is amazing at writing 46 1,000 page books of lore but terrible at making a game about said lore or conveying that lore in any way, shape or form. You'd think they'd love the Fallout lore, but they loving hate it.

I'm completely willing to accept "Bethesda sucks" as an answer tbqh.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Fallout 3 and Uncharted have more interesting stories and are better games than nier automata

Most games have more interesting stories and are better games that nier automata. There are games that I don't like that others do where they're not for me but I can understand the appeal. N:a is not one of them - I honestly cannot understand why anyone likes it. And I played it through all the major endings.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm completely willing to accept "Bethesda sucks" as an answer tbqh.

Bethesda loving sucks.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
gently caress lore

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

MrQwerty posted:

Bethesda loving sucks.

I went to a wedding in a hotel next door to their HQ a few years ago, and I drunkenly pissed on the side of the building

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

The Pirate Captain posted:

Most games have more interesting stories and are better games that nier automata. There are games that I don't like that others do where they're not for me but I can understand the appeal. N:a is not one of them - I honestly cannot understand why anyone likes it. And I played it through all the major endings.

I can understand people liking the clever use of narrative, the streets of rage/ golden axe level combat is something I just can't appreciate.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

This is surprising because Bethesda is amazing at writing 46 1,000 page books of lore but terrible at making a game about said lore or conveying that lore in any way, shape or form.

they're not good at writing lore anymore, that was a single dude who wrote most of them in a cocaine-fuelled frenzy in a shack for morrowind (or so the legend goes) and they keep reusing that library with maybe a handful of additions in oblivion and skyrim

incidentally morrowind is the last of their games that was actually about the lore and conveyed it well through the game

MrQwerty posted:

Bethesda loving sucks.

weirdly zenimax online or whoever does ESO is pretty cool?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

food court bailiff posted:

weirdly zenimax online or whoever does ESO is pretty cool?

there's some poo poo I've seen, lore-wise that makes me want to revisit ESO.

then I remember it's an MMO and I remember the years of EvE.

I'm good on MMOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

there's some poo poo I've seen, lore-wise that makes me want to revisit ESO.

then I remember it's an MMO and I remember the years of EvE.

I'm good on MMOs.

eso is p good and f2p though, like $10 will get you a much better elder scrolls experience than oblivion straight-up

the morrowind expansion is :krad: if you liked that game at all because it takes place right as the tribunal starts noticing their waning power