Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Those look dope af, nice rusty canz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Those drones are beautiful. Just nurgly enough without going over the top with it imo.

I posted the original WIP pic for this Big Mek w/ Shokk Attak Gun kitbash i'm working on in the 40k thread, and now i've started painting it and it may be my favorite unit ever.

Sorry the gretchin head is shiny, he was still drying from a flesh wash.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
After lots of procrastination, I finally got the rest of the Blood Angel Tactical Squad assembled.

With them assembled, I was going to be diligent and not buy anything else until I assemble the Start Collecting Skitarii box buy more minis in fear that they'll disappear and add to my backlog.

However, I thought to buy some more tools first, and after striking out pretty badly while shopping at a couple of the nearby craft stores, I planned to grab it online. However I wanted to run it by the thread first.

To save myself some hassle with painting the Blood Angels, I thought about getting a can of Rustoleum 2X Flat Red Primer, to make painting the red a bit easier (specifically painting on the Mephiston Red basecoat).

I thought about getting these sanding needles, which I think someone in the thread linked me to. For the Blood Angels, I took to just using a folded up piece of sandpaper to get into some of the small crevices, but there were still some areas (ex. the little ridges on the bottom of the bolter clips) I felt like I couldn't really clean up properly.

Lastly is a pin-vise drill, so people don't puke from seeing the un-drilled gun barrels :vomarine:. Someone linked me to this drill bit set and vise handle as an alternative, though, I don't know what the difference is with them:

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 29, 2019

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Max Wilco posted:

I thought about getting these sanding needles, which I think someone in the thread linked me to.

I don't especially like sanding needles, since the useful bit on them is generally the tip, and that wears out really fast. I just use needle files, which last a lot longer. If you're just starting out, probably any brand of hobby files would be fine, but I upgraded to Grobet files (made for jewelers) and they're just delightful. That said, for cleaning mold lines on plastic, I just use the back of an X-Acto knife 99% of the time.

Max Wilco posted:

Lastly is a pin-vise drill, so people don't puke from seeing the un-drilled gun barrels :vomarine:. Someone linked me to this drill bit set and vise handle as an alternative, though, I don't know what the difference is with them:

The drill bits in that pack are probably hot garbage, since the whole set is only $12. On the other hand, you're drilling plastic, so it doesn't really matter that much; plastic is really easy to drill. I wouldn't buy the other bits suggested to you though, since you're getting 6 of the same size bit. That's a waste, unless you have gorilla hands. I bought this set, which has one of each bit for #61-80 while still being good-quality. That gives you a nice variety of sizes to use for different purposes.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 29, 2019

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So the Patriot 105 is just... not on Amazon whatever reason. Did it get replaced with a newer model or something?

I had picked up a Sotar a while back during a sale but I wanted to get something more a general purpose, likely also badger so that I didn't need to get a bunch of adapters and such.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Avenging Dentist posted:

I don't especially like sanding needles, since the useful bit on them is generally the tip, and that wears out really fast. I just use needle files, which last a lot longer. If you're just starting out, probably any brand of hobby files would be fine, but I upgraded to Grobet files (made for jewelers) and they're just delightful. That said, for cleaning mold lines on plastic, I just use the back of an X-Acto knife 99% of the time.

The drill bits in that pack are probably hot garbage, since the whole set is only $12. On the other hand, you're drilling plastic, so it doesn't really matter that much; plastic is really easy to drill. I wouldn't buy the other bits suggested to you though, since you're getting 6 of the same size bit. That's a waste, unless you have gorilla hands. I bought this set, which has one of each bit for #61-80 while still being good-quality. That gives you a nice variety of sizes to use for different purposes.

I've used the back of an X-Acto knife for scraping off mold lines, and it does work really well. It's just small, detailed areas like the bolter clip or the sides of the backpack that are hard to do accurately with with a knife.

I do have a file set (Husky brand), though, like I said, a folded piece of sand paper seems to work fine, and I've been using that a lot more than the files; I just thought a sanding needle might work better.

The drill bits you linked seem sort expensive (at least the 20pc set does, the 13pc one is only $11, but it doesn't seem like it comes with a handle), but I will keep them in mind for the future. I think I might just get the 12 dollar one for the time being and see how it fares. If the drill bits break, I can (hopefully) replace them with the Irwin set. I don't mean to blow off your suggestion; I just want to start out with something cheap in case I screw up and break something because I don't know what I'm doing.

Out of curiosity, would you be able to find a pin-vise or drill bits for them at the hardware store? I thought maybe they'd be with jewelry tools at crafts stores, but I had no luck in finding them.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
For your purposes, the $12 set is probably ok. Like I mentioned, plastic is pretty easy to drill into. You’ll notice the difference if and when you upgrade to something like the Irwin set; it was like night and day for me when working with pewter.

A hardware store probably won’t have many teeny drill bits, but might have some you can use. If you have a model railroad or RC car/plane shop nearby, they’d probably have tiny bits though.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Smashed out 36 Morannon Orcs for Middle Earth Strategy Battle Game this last week. About 35 minutes per mini. Happy with the time/results but would have loved to be able to highlight and tidy some more, but ah well!

This last shot taken before I finished the base trim but it shows how the minis actually came up for that time.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Regarding mold lines: Is there any clever trick to removing mold lines you can't get to from the side?

I've got this metal guy that had a mold line going all around the model. I removed most of it but wasn't able to get the bit on the cloak between the legs. It didn't look all that bad unpainted so I left it but now that it's painted it looks terrible. I can't get to the line from below, the angle is too awkward and I don't know of any tools to remove it from the front.

Edit: the round base the feet are standing on is a part of the model. I'd like to remove it but am a bit scared of using a saw.

peak debt fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 29, 2019

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Couldve got it with a file from below before it was based

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

everythingWasBees posted:

So the Patriot 105 is just... not on Amazon whatever reason. Did it get replaced with a newer model or something?

I had picked up a Sotar a while back during a sale but I wanted to get something more a general purpose, likely also badger so that I didn't need to get a bunch of adapters and such.

Badger stuff on Amazon is coming through resellers, and they're just out of stock. They're still making the 105, and will hopefully continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Cursory googling suggests you can buy one from a lot of online art stores, or my recommendation would be from here. USAAS is legit and has great prices, but be warned they will take a million years to turn your order around.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

everythingWasBees posted:

Going out on a limb here, but Badger is probably still backlogged from the birthday sale. Once they catch up, you'll see them show back up on Amazon.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

peak debt posted:

Regarding mold lines: Is there any clever trick to removing mold lines you can't get to from the side?

I've got this metal guy that had a mold line going all around the model. I removed most of it but wasn't able to get the bit on the cloak between the legs. It didn't look all that bad unpainted so I left it but now that it's painted it looks terrible. I can't get to the line from below, the angle is too awkward and I don't know of any tools to remove it from the front.

Edit: the round base the feet are standing on is a part of the model. I'd like to remove it but am a bit scared of using a saw.

Poke around in there with a Dremel tip carefully?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
On the topic of the Patriot 105, that thing really is a tank. I accidentally left a bunch of paint in it overnight. Next day after a quick clean it still worked. Had to soak the cup in isopropyl to completely clear it out but it worked fine even with a bunch of dried crud in the cup.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

grassy gnoll posted:

USAAS is legit and has great prices, but be warned they will take a million years to turn your order around.

I think they might be affiliated closely with Badger or just drop shipping stuff from them. I got my Badger Metalsmith set through US Airbrush Supply and it took a long time to ship, but direct from Badger according to the postage.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

peak debt posted:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I haven't posted any recent paintings lately, so here are some:

I have three Thousand Son figures to paint and then after that I am going to continue a Mech Ad, and Necron army.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Crossposting from the AoS thread. A good chunk of my first actual painted army done.

TKIY posted:

18 corpse flayers and 2 Courtiers finally fully finished.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

Crossposting from the AoS thread. A good chunk of my first actual painted army done.

Hell yeah, these are great! The blood splatter is especially good.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Reminds me of the Dexter promo blood

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Cross-posting tonight's paintjob, a Headswapped Lord Felthius Unique Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

He seems to be really enjoying his time at the Nickelodeon Kid's Choice Awards. :v:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Zaodai posted:

He seems to be really enjoying his time at the Nickelodeon Kid's Choice Awards. :v:

I was thinking more Hamlet during flu season.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

richyp posted:

Cross-posting tonight's paintjob, a Headswapped Lord Felthius Unique Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour

That’s a beautiful paint job OP. The goopy base adds a a lot to the overall aesthetic.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Edit: lol, nvm - forgot I already posted these.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

tehsid posted:

Smashed out 36 Morannon Orcs for Middle Earth Strategy Battle Game this last week. About 35 minutes per mini. Happy with the time/results but would have loved to be able to highlight and tidy some more, but ah well!

This last shot taken before I finished the base trim but it shows how the minis actually came up for that time.

I would love to just have display armies of Rohan and Uruk-Hai. Don't know anyone who plays, but it would be nice to have. Painted by someone else of course, I'm already in too deep

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
The Sculpting Thread’s Inaugural Sculpt-Off
Bit of a cross-post thanks to the overlapping thread content of “miniatures”, and because more input is aways appreciated. In case you haven’t seen it, we have a thread for miniature sculpting. In the spirit of encouraging more people to try sculpting, we recently held our first sculpting jam, where anyone interested could ask for a set of five images to act as inspiration for a miniature sculpt. It’s part encouragement and part competition, so we’re now opening up voting to see who wins this time’s (not particularly) fabulous prize!

Meeple sculpted up a female knight, as inspired by these pictures:

Now here’s their finished miniature:

Skails sculpted a pipe-smoking werewolf running, inspired by these pictures:

And here’s their finished miniature:

So, if you have time, would you mind voting on whose sculpt you think best captures the inspiration of these photos/which one you like? You can vote here. I’ll check results on 5/6/19, with the winner receiving a forums upgrade of their choice.

If you’re interested in the next sculpting jam, I hope to have it start on the 15th of May.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Work continues on my Death Guard. Decided to focus on the models I’m using for my Kill Team at the moment.

Really happy with how the flesh tubes turned out.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
The flesh tubes amd brass look really good against the sickly, pea soupish green. Very nice Death Guard scheme.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I don't normally crosspost, but this belongs here more than in the 40k thread.

Eifert Posting posted:

Some of the basic boys are from like 2009 and I hope whoever paint judges for Nova just glances over them. Eventually I'ma buy a mark IV box and use it to replace the worst offenders.

Probably my best recent infantry next to one of the first marines I painted for this army.

On the right is a model I spent ~20 hours on for a painting contest in 2009, on the left is a standard infantry model from 2018 (~6-8 hours)

First model I painted in this army other than test models (~2007) vs 2019.

And as a bonus, have some test models from ~'07. Far right was the first marine I painted in my finalized scheme.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Grouped all the painted neophytes I had for a shot while basing them.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Cannot overstate how great these are. I've replaced most of my standard "long" exactos with these and the finger-cuts ratio dropped by about 90%

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Intriguing

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I have an irritatingly specific paint equivalency question. Is there a paint in the Vallejo Model Air range that’s color-equivalent to Scalecolor Graphite? I want to try it in a stippling test, and it has to be Model Air because I find that Model Color is too thick to effectively stipple, and not heavily pigmented enough to retain opacity when thinned down to Model Air consistency.

theminigrump
Dec 18, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

These look great! I really like the style.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Been working on a new method to store and transport my case. Turns out my wife and father had been listening to me and made this for me as a gift. Other then sealing and painting it, a small lock for the front and a handle on top, it's done! Very happy. So I also took some time to tidy my workspace up!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Eifert Posting posted:

every day i'm shufflin'

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Avenging Dentist posted:

For your purposes, the $12 set is probably ok. Like I mentioned, plastic is pretty easy to drill into. You’ll notice the difference if and when you upgrade to something like the Irwin set; it was like night and day for me when working with pewter.

A hardware store probably won’t have many teeny drill bits, but might have some you can use. If you have a model railroad or RC car/plane shop nearby, they’d probably have tiny bits though.

Yeah, right now I'm just doing plastic stuff.

Pewter is something that I'd like to avoid if I can (I imagine I'm not the only one, since I'm sure a lot of people are looking forward to the plastic Sisters of Battle), but I get the feeling I'll have to deal with them at some point if I want to paint something specific.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Stephenls posted:

I have an irritatingly specific paint equivalency question. Is there a paint in the Vallejo Model Air range that’s color-equivalent to Scalecolor Graphite? I want to try it in a stippling test, and it has to be Model Air because I find that Model Color is too thick to effectively stipple, and not heavily pigmented enough to retain opacity when thinned down to Model Air consistency.

I'm not familiar with the scalecolor line, but USN Sea Blue is a great cool dark grey that has a graphite look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Stephenls posted:

I've got a tube of graphene grey, SC-58. If that's approximate to the graphite, I can put together a color sample for you if you like.