Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

edit: *pewpew*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Heartplugs and Buttplugs

He was a Harkonnen. She was a Fremen.
A love forbidden is a love that cannot be tamed.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

kiimo posted:

Heartplugs and Buttplugs

He was a Harkonnen. She was a Fremen.
A love forbidden is a love that cannot be tamed.

This is literally Paul and Chani though?

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

I've got it! The battle pugs were so awesome, they provided the genetic stock for all future chairdogs.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

This is literally Paul and Chani though?

:vince:

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I just got to the part in God Emperor where Leto does a flying belly flop off his cart into a group of rebels and then just starts crushing everyone under his giant worm body just by spastically rolling around everywhere. God Emeperor of Dune rocks.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I just got to the part in God Emperor where Leto does a flying belly flop off his cart into a group of rebels and then just starts crushing everyone under his giant worm body just by spastically rolling around everywhere. God Emeperor of Dune rocks.

And his main reaction is "Ew blood", not because blood, but because it's uncomfortably like water.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Shaddak posted:

I've got it! The battle pugs were so awesome, they provided the genetic stock for all future chairdogs.

The Kwisatz Adirondack

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Vlex posted:

And his main reaction is "Ew blood", not because blood, but because it's uncomfortably like water.

Well,the human body is, what, 70% water?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
70%? Yeah, if you're water-fat!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Vlex posted:

It's like stepping on a spider in your bare feet. Gross and a small chance of poison

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

whydirt posted:

The Kwisatz Adirondack

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Farnk Hrebert’s NUDE

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vlex posted:

A sand trout peels off and he has to go chase it down and slap it back on

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

A sand trout peels off and he has to go chase it down and slap it back on

May as well roll it up into another penis.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

This has been uploaded now, just add the url to your av

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

sebmojo posted:

First proud member of BALLS OF IBAD :smug:

Temaukel fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 27, 2019

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Rockopolis posted:

70%? Yeah, if you're water-fat!

The best place to store water is in the body.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

The best place to store water is in the body.

Specifically, in the balls.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

if he could mold it around his eyes and nose and mouth why couldnt he mold it around his dick and balls and taint?

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Specifically, in the balls.

Spice is made in a Maker's balls.

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back

BONGHITZ posted:

if he could mold it around his eyes and nose and mouth why couldnt he mold it around his dick and balls and taint?

The sandtrout are constantly sucking him off and plugging his rear end with spice hth

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

sebmojo posted:

Nice!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
They've wrapped filming in Jordan.

It would have mostly been establishing shots and closeups of characters and such, pretty much everything will be greenscreen or interior sets in Budapest.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I'm waiting on some promotional stills of Baron Harkonnen to change my av

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I'm waiting on some promotional stills of Baron Harkonnen to change my av

What's the deal with the burn victim baron in Lynch's film.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Temaukel posted:

What's the deal with the burn victim baron in Lynch's film.
Lynch is just a huge fan of grotesquerie.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Milk the cat

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Everybody always brings up the cat milking apparatus but what the gently caress was that little animal Rabban (or maybe Feyd) crushed up and drank with a straw, like a hosed-up juicebox?

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

Everybody always brings up the cat milking apparatus but what the gently caress was that little animal Rabban (or maybe Feyd) crushed up and drank with a straw, like a hosed-up juicebox?

I think Lynch called them Squoods

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
from the screenplay:

"Rabban breaks open a squood (living food). The squood makes a tiny SCREAM, then Rabban drinks the blood and bodily fluids. He throws the empty container of tiny animal meat into the dark water trough running through the center of the room."

more weird grossness that was added for the film.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
That was an animal? I thought it was one of the Baron's weird tumors. I don't remember it screaming.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5whVyDoLLc

loving hell, David Lynch rules

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
In related news, this popped up in my FB memories the other day. This is my Mom's cat Rascal. He weighs 32lbs. When I shared a photo of him, a goon responded with this photoshop job, completely unprompted by any Dune discussion:

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

That's a big boy :eyepop:

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anne Frank Funk posted:

lol

https://twitter.com/DuneAuthor/status/1035744218172379138

We all know the cover art to this magnum opus. But what was the one small suggestion?

https://twitter.com/DuneAuthor/status/1058124566663294977

Was it to make the guy in maglev chair "the most magnificent representative of the black race she’d ever seen, even in the movies, as if there had not been much interbreeding in his lineage with lighter-skinned races"?

"I went into this expecting it to be a space-based novel written with the proven expertise of Brian Herbert. Instead I ran into the most unprofessionally written piece of work it has been my extreme displeasure to have encountered in many years. While the basic story wasn't bad, the author's command of the English language left much to be desired. To the point that the lack of proper grammar, trite statements, and "run-on sentences" became SO distracting that it was an effort not to simply give up on it. One example (and these appeared on nearly every page) reads as follows; "He shouldn't be able to gaze upon such brightness in a mirror, such raw and primordial intensity, without going blind. But he had special eyes that were permitting him to do so anyway. He hated the alien presence, wanted desperately to be free of it. A wayward dangerous thought intruded, that he should make his own attempt to kill the creatures himself, no matter what had happened to the old inventor. Another is, "Billy wished he could consult with Devv about this, the Security Commander, but he sensed strongly that this problem went beyond anything Devv knew, or anyone else on board Skyship knew, for that matter." There were far too many of these to count."

:thunk:

edit: from the amazon reviews

Temaukel fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Apr 29, 2019

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Yeah @duneauthor sucks but I think I hate the guy who said "written with the proven expertise of Brian Herbert" more.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of people with bad taste have heavy 'more of the thing I like!!' franchise nostalgia goggles, and leaving that safety net often exposes an author's flaws to harsh light.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
It seems clear that in their collaborations, as much as one can claim that any heavy lifting was being done, Kevin J Anderson was doing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Amethyst posted:

It is not interesting. It is a dead simple rant about bureaucrats, likely motivated from frustration. it isn't really philosophy. There is no serious examination of why instinct is better than caution. It's just an assertion.
You're right. A great deal of Herbert is just-so stories that are very much of their time. Because he confidently makes assertions about lofty issues, it sounds like reason. This becomes glaringly obvious when he starts talking about men and women.

Amethyst posted:

I don't think anyone should dive into a 500 page political treatise written by Frank Herbert before they read, say, Capital by Marx
There's more insight into the nature of power and the course of history in the first 3 paragraphs of the 18th Brumaire than there is in Herbert's entire body of work

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 29, 2019