Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Andrast posted:

You are really making america sound loving insane

I’m in Sweden :|
In the early/mid 90s, there was a LOT of controversy around role playing games in mainstream media.
After some RPG playing kids ended up killing a 15 year old, it got even worse, and parents banning kids from playing it got quite common.

Short Wikipedia article in Swedish about the murder here
https://sv.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bjuvmordet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

There wasn’t that big of satanic panic thing about role-playing games and the like in Finland back in 90’s either, but it was there. Some run of the mill pentecostals translating Pat Pulling’s ”classic” to Finnish, and adding their own hilarious takes on the issue. Back when growing up in North, my MTG playing friend had their neighbour throw a fit when he was playing MTG with their kid, with Lord of the Pit, Unholy Strength and like, this in revised times. His folks just pretty much laughed it off.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Huh, my flatmate gave me his Arena code from prerelease and for some reason they're Traditional Draft (or "Competitive Draft" since apparently these were printed before they changed the name). Seems an odd choice, especially since it doesn't unlock for another six hours.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Andrast posted:

You are really making america sound loving insane

Moral panics aren't exclusive to America.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Played 2HG at my LGS. Went 2-1 with MVP's Stealth Mission and Karn's Bastion. I really like the amass mechanic and proliferation in 2HG is bonkers.

Ashiok is insane and being against one in limited was awful. A lot of fun otherwise.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
If I put Kasmina's transmutation on a God-eternal does it loose the ability to be put back in the deck when it gets killed?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

DoctorOozy posted:

If I put Kasmina's transmutation on a God-eternal does it loose the ability to be put back in the deck when it gets killed?

Yup, got caught by this.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

DoctorOozy posted:

Yes, and thank goodness for that. I managed to beat a guy who played Oketra in every game in my prerelease because I could turn it into a 1/1 and then trade it off for something (or use Time Wipe) I didn't care about. Otherwise, though, I don't think it's super great.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Buffis posted:

Edit: For me growing up, it was dungeons and dragons that was banned.
And we weren’t even religious :|

The Roommate who threatened to kill me in college (so I'd leave and give him his own room) first tried to get me expelled for playing D&D because it was satanic imagery and it was incompatible with his Baptist upbringing.

Apparently cheating on/sleeping with six girls at the same time was quite compatible with his Baptist upbringing. As were the aforementioned death threats.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I once got hollered at in a barracks common room in the USAF for the "satanic" imagery on the Magic cards we were playing. (The card he pointed to was Time Walk. I wish I still had that Time Walk.)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

mossyfisk posted:

Huh, my flatmate gave me his Arena code from prerelease and for some reason they're Traditional Draft (or "Competitive Draft" since apparently these were printed before they changed the name). Seems an odd choice, especially since it doesn't unlock for another six hours.

think that was the case for the Ravnica Allegiance too.

sealed is only available for about a month, but War will be the bo3 draft format until the next set comes out in July, so that might be why they changed it?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Yeah the code for GRN was a free Sealed, but they changed it to a free traditional draft.

Which is good, because Sealed is already a frustrating format and it's made worse by the BO1 structure on Arena. War seems really good, so I'm looking forward to doing a bunch of regular drafts.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kurieg posted:

The Roommate who threatened to kill me in college (so I'd leave and give him his own room) first tried to get me expelled for playing D&D because it was satanic imagery and it was incompatible with his Baptist upbringing.

Apparently cheating on/sleeping with six girls at the same time was quite compatible with his Baptist upbringing. As were the aforementioned death threats.

It's as Jesus said, point out the splinter in someone else's eye while ignoring the log in your own

Cracker Baron
Dec 23, 2003
Arena Pre-Release codes from some kits I opened..
If you use please quote and cross out so people know.

oaR-zHJZ-koQ

zkK-SG6B-GFJ

GvB-ovPp-d2R

Jt6-g2Za-QE4

HJ8-UKrD-iTo

JJK-ZiWf-J4g

7jK-DMp1-EcK

fsU-nLdM-siM

Wrk-Fqoy-RFb

X4e-GgSz-bqU

b17-BQJA-Dmc

29t-wQZm-TJc

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Cracker Baron posted:

oaR-zHJZ-koQ

zkK-SG6B-GFJ

GvB-ovPp-d2R

Jt6-g2Za-QE4

HJ8-UKrD-iTo

JJK-ZiWf-J4g

7jK-DMp1-EcK

fsU-nLdM-siM

Wrk-Fqoy-RFb

X4e-GgSz-bqU

b17-BQJA-Dmc

29t-wQZm-TJc

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Cracker Baron posted:

oaR-zHJZ-koQ

zkK-SG6B-GFJ

GvB-ovPp-d2R

Jt6-g2Za-QE4

HJ8-UKrD-iTo

JJK-ZiWf-J4g

7jK-DMp1-EcK

fsU-nLdM-siM

Wrk-Fqoy-RFb

X4e-GgSz-bqU

b17-BQJA-Dmc

29t-wQZm-TJc
You're a scholar and a gentleman

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Cracker Baron posted:

b17-BQJA-Dmc

Got this one

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Cracker Baron posted:

oaR-zHJZ-koQ

zkK-SG6B-GFJ

GvB-ovPp-d2R

Jt6-g2Za-QE4

HJ8-UKrD-iTo

JJK-ZiWf-J4g

7jK-DMp1-EcK

fsU-nLdM-siM

Wrk-Fqoy-RFb

X4e-GgSz-bqU

b17-BQJA-Dmc

29t-wQZm-TJc

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Magic was banned in my elementary school because it became considered gambling when a kid lost a card permanently when playing for ante. They got the card they lost back from the other kid after complaining to a teacher, but also kept the ones they had previously won playing the same way, which was a bunch of Bullshit.

Not that I'm bitter about something that happened 20+ years ago, but they were ABU cards.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

Cracker Baron posted:

oaR-zHJZ-koQ

zkK-SG6B-GFJ

GvB-ovPp-d2R

Jt6-g2Za-QE4

HJ8-UKrD-iTo

JJK-ZiWf-J4g

7jK-DMp1-EcK

fsU-nLdM-siM

Wrk-Fqoy-RFb

X4e-GgSz-bqU

b17-BQJA-Dmc

29t-wQZm-TJc

I took one, thanks!

Insensitive
Aug 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Cracker Baron posted:

X4e-GgSz-bqU

Thanks!

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Cracker Baron posted:

oaR-zHJZ-koQ

zkK-SG6B-GFJ

GvB-ovPp-d2R

Jt6-g2Za-QE4

HJ8-UKrD-iTo

JJK-ZiWf-J4g

7jK-DMp1-EcK

fsU-nLdM-siM

Wrk-Fqoy-RFb

X4e-GgSz-bqU

b17-BQJA-Dmc

29t-wQZm-TJc
Used this one, thank you!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'll probably have some Arena codes too, my friend went to at least 3 pre-releases over the weekend and he has no use for the extras.

mandatory lesbian posted:

It's as Jesus said, point out the splinter in someone else's eye while ignoring the log in your own

The D&D thing was just the first of many tactics he used to try and get me to leave. Long story short my I had left a good impression on my RD from an incident in the previous year and crazy-roomate's nonsense accusations made little to no sense, as he was apparently relying on gut-feels religious fervor to see him quickly to victory.

Unfortunately for him we were a Catholic university, not baptist.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Cracker Baron posted:

oaR-zHJZ-koQ

zkK-SG6B-GFJ

GvB-ovPp-d2R

Jt6-g2Za-QE4

HJ8-UKrD-iTo

JJK-ZiWf-J4g

7jK-DMp1-EcK

fsU-nLdM-siM

Wrk-Fqoy-RFb

X4e-GgSz-bqU

b17-BQJA-Dmc

29t-wQZm-TJc

Used the third one. Thanks a bunch!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Cracker Baron posted:

oaR-zHJZ-koQ

zkK-SG6B-GFJ

GvB-ovPp-d2R

Jt6-g2Za-QE4

HJ8-UKrD-iTo

JJK-ZiWf-J4g

7jK-DMp1-EcK

fsU-nLdM-siM

Wrk-Fqoy-RFb

X4e-GgSz-bqU

b17-BQJA-Dmc

29t-wQZm-TJc

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I would LOVE for a kind person to PM me a prerelease code, since I'm sitting at work and am not going to blind claim one of those codes and hope for the best when I get home.

Please and thank you!

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Cracker Baron posted:

oaR-zHJZ-koQ

zkK-SG6B-GFJ

GvB-ovPp-d2R

Jt6-g2Za-QE4

HJ8-UKrD-iTo

JJK-ZiWf-J4g

7jK-DMp1-EcK

fsU-nLdM-siM

Wrk-Fqoy-RFb

X4e-GgSz-bqU

b17-BQJA-Dmc

29t-wQZm-TJc
Thanks for the code.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
all of them are gone btw

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
... where were these codes? I looked through the miniscule packaging of the kits and didn't see any. I hope it wasnt on the booster wrappers or anything silly like that, but I probably threw a few out without noticing. Oops.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Aranan posted:

... where were these codes? I looked through the miniscule packaging of the kits and didn't see any. I hope it wasnt on the booster wrappers or anything silly like that, but I probably threw a few out without noticing. Oops.

Back of one of the tokens.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

One of the tokens was loose in your pre-release box, the back of that token has an arena code rather than an Ad.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I didn't start playing Magic until I was 21 (2008) and I didn't know anyone who would admit to being playing D&D around then too.

Openly playing games like that got you shunned, your sexuality was always in question, and your was stuff stolen or destroyed where I'm from. I learned to repress my interests and kept them all pretty tightly private by middle school.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Listening to the Dive Down for the first time. Pretty good so far. Although the one guys review on alpine moon needed additional info.

anglachel
May 28, 2012
Hot Take: War of the Spark limited is even more bomb focused than Amonket Block or Ixalan. The bombs are just flat out unbeatable. It's exponentially worse than the last 2 sets and Dominaria

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

anglachel posted:

Hot Take: War of the Spark limited is even more bomb focused than Amonket Block or Ixalan. The bombs are just flat out unbeatable. It's exponentially worse than the last 2 sets and Dominaria

My 2nd sealed pool had little to no removal at all, and I built my deck badly, so I ended up going into round 3 at 0-2. My opponent had a Rhonas, he was also at 0-2. i don't even earthly know what the people he lost to had.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Missed the prerelease codes, drat

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Kurieg posted:

My 2nd sealed pool had little to no removal at all, and I built my deck badly, so I ended up going into round 3 at 0-2. My opponent had a Rhonas, he was also at 0-2. i don't even earthly know what the people he lost to had.

This format is hot garbage. Rhonas isn't even one of the major bombs of the set. (he is one of them though)

Even draft is awful, sense you just pick the bombs and ignore everything else. The format is super slow, and does nothing to punish you for having a slow deck that will find its bomb

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

anglachel posted:

Even draft is awful, sense you just pick the bombs and ignore everything else.

Seems like someone says this every new set when no one has figured out the format yet

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Managed to live the dream and stealth mission a Mowu (which was already an 11/11 at this point) twice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The best sealed pool I opened had Sarkhan, Chandra, double Chandra bolt, double Jaya bolt, double of the 4/4 for 4 proliferate guys, plenty of early action, etc. I even put off starting the games until I could guarantee enough time to run the whole thing in one sitting. So of course I 0-3d in less than 15 minutes.

Sealed Bo1 is mostly coinflipping (which is why the prize structure is pretty flat).