Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Argus Zant posted:

so, follow-up question: if AMD is going to announce/launch Zen2 in June, would it be a good idea for me to wait until then? would there be any kind of noticeable price drop in Zen+ prices, and/or would I benefit from just holding out and putting a Zen2 in my build? Or is it more likely that current prices are unlikely to get any lower/Zen2 won't actually launch until July or August?

If you can afford to wait, may as well wait. No one can really say anything about the power or timing of Zen2, other than it's likely to be announced soon. It's highly probable Zen+ will go on sale then, to clear up inventory space if nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I ended up getting a Sapphire Pulse Vega, and upon opening my PC I realized I need to figure out my PSU. The 1050ti that I had before didn't require additional connectors from the PSU, the Sapphire has two 8 pin connectors.

What PSU should I get to comfortably handle -

GPU
2 standard 3.5" internal HDDs (4tb)
1 SSD
Blu-Ray Optical (honestly forgot I had this)
PCI USB card
2.5" slot media reader

My current PSU is from a few builds ago, 550w, but doesn't have nearly enough connectors for everything and I'm not sure how many piggyback connectors I should use.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Medullah posted:

I ended up getting a Sapphire Pulse Vega, and upon opening my PC I realized I need to figure out my PSU. The 1050ti that I had before didn't require additional connectors from the PSU, the Sapphire has two 8 pin connectors.

What PSU should I get to comfortably handle -

GPU
2 standard 3.5" internal HDDs (4tb)
1 SSD
Blu-Ray Optical (honestly forgot I had this)
PCI USB card
2.5" slot media reader

My current PSU is from a few builds ago, 550w, but doesn't have nearly enough connectors for everything and I'm not sure how many piggyback connectors I should use.

The PSU maker that's the most generous with connectors at all SKU levels is Seasonic. Corsair and EVGA tend to skimp under 750W, and even looking at the 2018 redesign of the Corsair RMx750 it seemed a bit lax.

Here's my recommendation: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151186

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The PSU maker that's the most generous with connectors at all SKU levels is Seasonic. Corsair and EVGA tend to skimp under 750W, and even looking at the 2018 redesign of the Corsair RMx750 it seemed a bit lax.

Here's my recommendation: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151186

You rock, I literally was just looking at that one as it popped up as a deal alert. Ordered.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
What's the go-to cases that SH/SC PC builder here recommends and why.

Also - Fractal Design R6 seems to be the biggest one people here dig. Would be curious to hear more about the reasons why for that one.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Fractal's cases are very well built and largely devoid of bling, and while not cheap, also aren't ball-breakingly expensive.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Ultimately buy what you think looks nice. There are some other considerations but 99% of the time it's function will be aesthetic. If you want a nice, understated case FD is a good way to go, but it's hard to be 'wrong' with case choice.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I'm using a Corsair Obsidian 750D, which is also a minimal bling case in the same price range but it is a full tower. I also picked it because it has forward facing USB ports which is highly preferred since my PC sits on the desk.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Helping someone get a parts list together for a good 1080p 144hz competitive gaming build at a reasonable value.

The main games they play right now are Overwatch and Monster Hunter World.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($120.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($120.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card ($549.00 @ Amazon)
Case: be quiet! - Pure Base 600 w/Window (Black/Orange) ATX Mid Tower Case ($97.00 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.39 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: ViewSonic - XG2702 27.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor ($260.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Razer - Huntsman Elite Wired Gaming Keyboard ($184.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech - G502 HERO Wired Optical Mouse ($62.50 @ Amazon)
Total: $1850.61

-They own 2 HDDs they want to use in it for bulk storage but also want to get a good SSD for gaming.

-The 1070ti they actually are getting $300 used from a friend.

-They are currently using an EVGA 1000 GQ 80+ Gold 1000w power supply in their current system that they purchased last august - they say that they want to use this in their new build. Should I tell them to get a new power supply altogether and if so, what model?

-Feel free to suggest an alternate or better case.

-Also feel free to recommend a display if you can think of one that might be a better choice. (As well as mouse and keyboard.)

-Where can I tell them to get a windows 7 pro key for an upgrade to 10 if not SA-Mart. (Or how easy is it for non-goons to contact and get a key from SA-mart.)

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I currently have an RX580 and I'm fairly happy with it (1080 gaming) but if I wanted to upgrade what would be my path? Is it worth getting a 1660 or should I save money and wait a year or so and go bigger?

CPU is a i5-8400

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
Hello again,

I am looking at purchasing the next batch of my PC build and in a little bit of a rut.

Purchased Parts:
CPU: Intel i7-970k
Motherboard:Gigabyte Z390 Elite
Harddrive:860 Evo 1TB

Upcoming Parts to Purchase:
Case:Lian-Li O11 Air
RAM:Corsair LPX 16GB
CPU Cooler:Noctua NH-D15S (Need help)

Other Parts For Future:
GPU:ASUS RTX2080 (or some varient of 2080)
PSU:EVGA 650W

So I need some help on the CPU Cooler. I want to avoid liquid all together, the fear of leakage runs my mind. I wanted to do a Noctua NH-D15 but it seems the CPU Cooler height clearance on a Lian-Li O11 is 159mm and the Noctua NH-D15S is 160mm. So I do not know what air cooling fans to even look at. If I cannot avoid liquid cooling...where should I look? Should I also switch my case to a Lian-Li Dynamic at the same time as well?

Side note, was watching a GamerNexus video about graphic card sag. Is this a thing I need to worry about? Should I be looking at a case that will prevent this?

Thank you!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Spacedad posted:

Helping someone get a parts list together for a good 1080p 144hz competitive gaming build at a reasonable value.

Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.89 @ OutletPC)

Are you really shooting for four 8GB sticks of RAM?

The motherboard might be something you can save a few bucks on too. If your friend doesn't require some X470 exclusive feature, a board based on a cheaper chipset (like the B450) would likely work well.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Are you really shooting for four 8GB sticks of RAM?

The motherboard might be something you can save a few bucks on too. If your friend doesn't require some X470 exclusive feature, a board based on a cheaper chipset (like the B450) would likely work well.

I am pretty sure that was a misclicked item that I overlooked and he just wants 2x16gb.

Even just 32gb sounds like fierce overkill though.

Edit: He's let me know that yeah, they misclicked and really just wanted 32gb. They are okay with only 16gb as they added 32gb without really thinking anything about it.

Indiana_Krom posted:

I'm using a Corsair Obsidian 750D, which is also a minimal bling case in the same price range but it is a full tower. I also picked it because it has forward facing USB ports which is highly preferred since my PC sits on the desk.

I just realized - that's literally an updated version of the case I already own that you guys here helped me build like 5 years ago. The only apparent differences I can see seems to be 2 more frontal USB slots and a glass side panel instead of just metal. It's pretty much the same case.

It's an all right case that has served me nicely over the years, but my next one I want to be somewhat prettier while keeping a fairly inoffensive nice low profile and giving me great cooling performance. Which is why I'm looking into Meshify and NZXT cases. ;)

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 29, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Spacedad posted:

The main games they play right now are Overwatch and Monster Hunter World.

PCPartPicker Part List

-They own 2 HDDs they want to use in it for bulk storage but also want to get a good SSD for gaming.

-The 1070ti they actually are getting $300 used from a friend.

-They are currently using an EVGA 1000 GQ 80+ Gold 1000w power supply in their current system that they purchased last august - they say that they want to use this in their new build. Should I tell them to get a new power supply altogether and if so, what model?

-Feel free to suggest an alternate or better case.

-Also feel free to recommend a display if you can think of one that might be a better choice. (As well as mouse and keyboard.)

-Where can I tell them to get a windows 7 pro key for an upgrade to 10 if not SA-Mart. (Or how easy is it for non-goons to contact and get a key from SA-mart.)

Unless the 2600 is just a place-holder for a Zen 2 CPU later, I'd spend the $15 for a 2600X. You get an overclock-capable stock cooler (which I assume they're planning on using, since they didn't list an aftermarket cooler), and access to Precision Boost Overdrive, which is basically auto-overclocking. If it is a place-holder, I'd save some more and get a 1600 instead. It'll be close to the same performance, but at least $50 less.

Pushing consistent high frame-rates is one area where 9th-gen Intel actually excels over Ryzen 2XXX. That said, Overwatch isn't going to have a problem hitting stable 144 fps with either chips (or a 1600, for that matter). MHW with settings cranked up is only going to be running at 90-100 fps on a 1070 Ti, but even with a 2080 Ti, there's not a whole lot of difference. Zen 2 might shrink that advantage, too, but of course we won't know until it drops!

The Strix-F is definitely an overkill for a 2600 (or even 2600x), unless they really want some of the features. The MSi B450 Pro Carbon AC is $40 and has most of the same features - you just lose a bit of sound quality, VRM (though still more than enough for even a 2700X), and the usb 3.1 Gen 2 front panel connector is Gen 1 instead. And you pick up built-in wifi/bluetooth!

The PSU should be fine. It's an overkill and might be a little less efficient running at ~500W for a 2600X/1070 Ti, but it'll be fine. The GQ has a five-year warranty, so it should be good for a while yet!

If this computer is meant to be lugged around to competitions, they might want to consider an ITX or mATX build! The Pure Base 600 is a fine case that is very quiet], but trades cooling for quiet and doesn't have the best cable management. With a 2600X/1070 Ti, cooling shouldn't really be an issue and the case performs pretty similarly to the Fractal Design Define C.

E: The best current bang-for-buck deal on NVMe SSDs right now is the 1TB ex920 for $135 after rebate (or $145 w/o rebate from Newegg), though the ADATA sx8200 Pro for $160 is killer deal, too.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 29, 2019

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

That's all very helpful, thanks.

What are some additional ideal motherboard options for them to work with for the 2600x.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 29, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Fixit posted:

Hello again,

I am looking at purchasing the next batch of my PC build and in a little bit of a rut.

Purchased Parts:
CPU: Intel i7-970k
Motherboard:Gigabyte Z390 Elite
Harddrive:860 Evo 1TB

Upcoming Parts to Purchase:
Case:Lian-Li O11 Air
RAM:Corsair LPX 16GB
CPU Cooler:Noctua NH-D15S (Need help)

Other Parts For Future:
GPU:ASUS RTX2080 (or some varient of 2080)
PSU:EVGA 650W

So I need some help on the CPU Cooler. I want to avoid liquid all together, the fear of leakage runs my mind. I wanted to do a Noctua NH-D15 but it seems the CPU Cooler height clearance on a Lian-Li O11 is 159mm and the Noctua NH-D15S is 160mm. So I do not know what air cooling fans to even look at. If I cannot avoid liquid cooling...where should I look? Should I also switch my case to a Lian-Li Dynamic at the same time as well?

Side note, was watching a GamerNexus video about graphic card sag. Is this a thing I need to worry about? Should I be looking at a case that will prevent this?

Thank you!

All of the top-tier air coolers are over 155mm (D15(s), U15s, L Grande Macho RT), the Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B is pretty darn close and you could always throw one or two of the fancy new Noctua NF-A12x25 fans on it for extra umph.

The Lian-Li Dynamic with 3 intake fans is pretty darn close in performance to the Air, so it really comes down to which aesthetic you like best (plus accessories).

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Spacedad posted:

That's all very helpful, thanks.

What are some additional ideal motherboard options for them to work with for the 2600x.

If you want to stick with Asus, the X470 Pro is solid and is currently only $150 ($140 if the Newegg Business link works). It's VRM is roughly equivalent to MSi B450 Pro Carbon AC, but it has that USB 3.1 Gen2 front-panel header and ASUS sound upgrades (though it loses the wifi). The Tomahawk is a great cheaper option, but you lose a bit more onboard sound quality, a bit of VRM (but it's still sufficient for a 2600x), one of the two M.2 slots, and no wifi/bluetooth.

AM4 mATX are not so fantastic. The best of the bunch is the MSi Mortar, but it hasn't been in stock for ages. The MSi B450m Gaming plus has the best VRM of the remaining options, but it only has one M.2 slot and no USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports, just Gen 1. The ASRock B450m Steel Legend has two M.2 slots, slightly better audio, and Gen 2 USB ports, but it's VRM isn't is just okay. It should be good enough, though, so I'll still recommend it over the MSi just for the extra features.

For ITX boards, the MSi B450i Gaming Plus AC has fantastic VRM, but just one M.2 slot and lower-tier audio. ASRock's b450i is a step up in price, but the VRM is good enough and the onboard audio is better, though it still only has one M.2 slot. The Asus B450 is another step up in price, but brings the VRM performance back up, has top-tier audio, and two M.2 slots.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

Stickman posted:

All of the top-tier air coolers are over 155mm (D15(s), U15s, L Grande Macho RT), the Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B is pretty darn close and you could always throw one or two of the fancy new Noctua NF-A12x25 fans on it for extra umph.

The Lian-Li Dynamic with 3 intake fans is pretty darn close in performance to the Air, so it really comes down to which aesthetic you like best (plus accessories).

Are there any other cases similar to the O11 Air? Only one I know of that comes close is the H500. I don't understand how the negative air flow works so figure I should avoid it (stupid I know).

Accessories?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Stickman posted:

mATX are not so fantastic.

Amen to that. I'm irked by how the selection of mATX boards is so limited isn't because of technical reasons but because of marketing decisions.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Palladium posted:

Amen to that. I'm irked by how the selection of mATX boards is so limited isn't because of technical reasons but because of marketing decisions.

Could you explain what you mean, please? I'm hoping to put a new build together in a few weeks and was hoping to do mATX... why does it suck?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sounds like it's the lack of selection that sucks.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Agronox posted:

Could you explain what you mean, please? I'm hoping to put a new build together in a few weeks and was hoping to do mATX... why does it suck?

You can't get a top-end board in mATX but honestly it doesn't matter as much as people around here say it does. Buildzoid put out a spreadsheet not recommending most boards for OCing a 2700X as far as possible, disclaiming that it would matter for the average person at the same time. If it's in your budget $30 on an upgraded Mobo isn't a bad idea, but you'll never notice, and it's not worth compromising on your chosen form factor.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Hot drat a new video card makes everything work so much better. Thanks for answering my stupid questions, BIG HEADLINE!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

CPU and cooler, final pieces of my build, are delivered to the mailbox. Please say a few prayers that nothing is DOA and I'll be up and running tonight. Fuckin 2.5 hours left to work yet D:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Agronox posted:

mATX is a great form factor, it's just been neglected by board manufacturers for reasons utterly unknown to all, so you can't always get the board you might want in microATX format

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The primary reason I think is most mid tower cases are compatible with full up ATX boards, and mini tower or super small cases accommodate itx boards better. mATX is kinda a weird space where it's job is done better by the boards on either side of its form factor.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
My current CPU is an i5-4570 and is starting to become a bottleneck for the things I want to play. Give me a suggestion for a reasonably priced upgrade. This is for a modest gaming rig.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lareine posted:

My current CPU is an i5-4570 and is starting to become a bottleneck for the things I want to play. Give me a suggestion for a reasonably priced upgrade. This is for a modest gaming rig.
B450/X470 mainboard of your choice, cheap 2x8 GB DDR4-3000 (CL15) or 3200 (CL16) RAM, Ryzen 5 2600(X). Do you need to upgrade your GPU too? What size/case/PSU?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

orcane posted:

B450/X470 mainboard of your choice, cheap 2x8 GB DDR4-3000 (CL15) or 3200 (CL16) RAM, Ryzen 5 2600(X). Do you need to upgrade your GPU too? What size/case/PSU?

I've got a full Corsair tower, mobo is msi b85m-g43, psu is Corsair CS450M, got 16 gb ram pretty sure it was DDR3, GPU is EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Agronox posted:

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it sucks. It's perfectly serviceable, there's just very few VRM and feature options. mATX boards top out at "solidly lower-mid-range" for VRMs, and many of them are missing features that are available on mid-range ATX or ITX boards, like USB 3.1 Gen 2 support (the new USB standard that doubles bitrate and can support fast charging), better audio, and double M.2 slots. No mATX board has the better on-board audio offered by some of the mid/upper-mid-range ATX boards. The MSi Mortar checked all those boxes (except audio), but is discontinued. The MSi Gaming Plus has decent VRM but only one M.2 slot and no USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports. The ASRock Steel Legend has okay VRM - I wouldn't recommend it for overclocking a 2700X, but it should be okay for a 2600X.

If you're not planning on overclocking and don't care about the extra features, a cheaper board like the ASRock Pro4 will work just fine. For Ryzen, though, the 'X' chips are so close in price to the non-'X' variants, auto-overclocking is so easy (using Precision Boost Overdrive), and it's a nice 5-10% boost in gaming performance. While an 'X' chip would run on a cheaper board like the Pro4, you'll be losing some of the overclocking overhead and more importantly, putting more stress on the power regulation components, which could reduce the lifespan of the board.

orange juche posted:

The primary reason I think is most mid tower cases are compatible with full up ATX boards, and mini tower or super small cases accommodate itx boards better. mATX is kinda a weird space where it's job is done better by the boards on either side of its form factor.

I think that's more a chicken-egg thing. MicroATX shaves a good 20% off the length of the board, and if mATX was manufacturer's focus for high-end boards, we'd probably have more good mATX cases to match.

ATX made sense back when SLI/Crossfire was still a sensible option, because it give you room for two cards plus one or two more PCIe accessories. Now dual-GPUs is vanishingly uncommon, we're largely omitting 5.25" optical drives and 3.5" hard drives / HDD stacks, and the combination of decent on-board audio and USB 3 external cards / dacs has largely eliminated the need for all those extra PCIe slots in most builds. If you're sure you don't need any expansion room, then ITX is nice (and that's what I went with), but these days mATX is a lot more sensible format than ATX for even high-end builds. I think ATX is mostly carrying on by weight of inertia.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 29, 2019

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So I got my build together, I'm pretty impressed. Everything is stupid fast, though booting could be a little faster, its around 10 seconds right now. Expected a little more from nvme. Anyway, I went with G Skill 3600mhz memory, the board (z390ftw) supports up to 4100 and change. But upon enabling the XMP profile to bump the speeds to what the RAM is billed at, it wont boot. I get the Windows dots but they freeze and thats it. Reverting to the base 2133 the motherboard sets it at by default works. So I need to toy with that tonight, if anyone has any suggestions, lemme know.

In my haste (I am the most reckless person ever) I also decided to format the wrong SSD first so it put the EFI partition on the secondary SSD. So now it wont boot properly because there is no OS on that drive and I have to fool around with it each time. I did source a guide real quick on how to use diskpart to resolve this so hopefully that wont be too difficult.

I was a bit concerned reading some benchmarks for the 2080 on Apex @ 1440, but it was completely flawless on max the entire time I played last night. Exactly what I wanted. I picked up a glass desk because I thought it was nice, not realizing what that meant for the mouse (reckless). I reached level 100 and 65 on the battle pass on Xbox and in an hour and a half I had 2 of my best rounds ever on PC with a white piece of crinkled paper for a mousepad. I cant wait to get home from work again.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.
How does the I5 2500k stack up to the current CPU competition? I've got a 3GB 1060 and I mostly use my PC for light-med gaming on a 1080p monitor. I don't really feel like there's anything wrong with it but I'm aware I'm now using an 8 year old CPU and it's insane to me that this can still be effective these days. Replacing it would need a new motherboard and inevitably a new case so I'm hesitant to throw a lot of money at minimal improvements.

Moving away from a full ATX motherboard is tempting though considering how much I've moved my pc about in the last 6 months

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

whiteshark12 posted:

How does the I5 2500k stack up to the current CPU competition? I've got a 3GB 1060 and I mostly use my PC for light-med gaming on a 1080p monitor. I don't really feel like there's anything wrong with it but I'm aware I'm now using an 8 year old CPU and it's insane to me that this can still be effective these days. Replacing it would need a new motherboard and inevitably a new case so I'm hesitant to throw a lot of money at minimal improvements.

Moving away from a full ATX motherboard is tempting though considering how much I've moved my pc about in the last 6 months

I'm still running mine, now with a GTX1660Ti. If you have it overclocked to 4.5ghz, it's roughly 25% slower than say a R5 2600X on single core stuff. Multicore it's less than half. The biggest impact in games seems to be worse 1% and 0.1% frame rates. For example, in Apex I can be up at 90 FPS, but then someone opens fire, and it stutters for a couple frames as the CPU is suddenly loaded with effect calculations. Could also be slower RAM though.

It's a popular CPU, so lots of videos with comparisons on youtube. Just search 2500k. The 2600K i7 of that era holds a bit better with the extra threads. It's about 15% behind a stock 2600X.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 30, 2019

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

whiteshark12 posted:

It does very well on single threaded applications (mostly this means older games like pre-2013-15) and starts to fall behind fast on multithreaded stuff.

If you own one you MUST overclock it.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Not that it ever occurred to me that anyone would want RGBs on their SSDs, but Kingston thought so and...it's a bit of a garbage fire. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnST5rA64Oc

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Not that it ever occurred to me that anyone would want RGBs on their SSDs, but Kingston thought so and...it's a bit of a garbage fire. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnST5rA64Oc

I don't even have to click that to know the video. Just, how, could they not have tested that enough to find out through trial and error. They should have caught it even beforehand looking at the power requirements for the LEDs.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Gigabyte beat them to it with an RGB NVMe drive that only comes in 256 and 512GB SKUs because of all of the RGB bullshit.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Is an RX 580 worth buying? AMD cards seem to be cheapest on ebay and I've found them in the $100-150 range.

Don't give a poo poo about 4K 60 FPS gaming. Just want to be able to run moderngames decently.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Is an RX 580 worth buying? AMD cards seem to be cheapest on ebay and I've found them in the $100-150 range.

Don't give a poo poo about 4K 60 FPS gaming. Just want to be able to run moderngames decently.

In 1080p? Sure, especially if you can pair it with a decent Freesync monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
It’s been ages since I built a computer, and I’d like to get some goon help.
I’m in USA
Budget is $1200 or so (could go higher)
I’ll use the computer for professional live-streaming with multi cam setups (I use Xsplit, two cameras, audio through Foobar, while running other software), casual gaming, audio and video editing
I also need it to run very quietly so it won’t be picked up on mics.
I’d like to game at higher resolutions