Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

IPCRESS posted:

Then they get the bill from CHEP.

When i first heard about CHEP and how pallets are handled in australia, it blew my mind.

I could probably build one of these this afternoon if i felt like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

El_Elegante posted:

After lacerating his left shoulder, the victim cradles the weapon in his right arm such as that the sharp ends of weapon are digging into his torso just past the area covered by padding.

Not even their last injury!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAsBn2SsMAw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsyW35Tor3k

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Powershift posted:

When i first heard about CHEP and how pallets are handled in australia, it blew my mind.

See, now I'm curious. What's special about pallet handling in Australia?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

One company, CHEP, owns pretty much all the pallets. They "lease" the pallets out, but say they still own the pallet.

They sue anybody caught using the pallets, but not paying the leasing fee.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

ԀƎHƆ

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I see a bunch of blue ones in that bonfire tower, did they get sued?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh, just that. I thought there was something else more mind-blowing.

I don't know if there's a similar thing for pallets here in the US, but I know from an old job that a lot of plastic skid making companies do the same thing, usually with a phone number and warning about misuse embossed on the skid itself. I don't think anyone ever gave a poo poo, and just threw them out if they got bad.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
I only have some tertiary experience, but the blue pallet situation in the states is very similar.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The Allied Materials Handling Standing Committee was created during world war 2 to standardize defense logistics. After the war ended, the us military went home, but left behind all the pallets and such used for logistics. Rather than letting them all go to waste, the Australian government turned it into a commercial operation to boost the Australian economy - CHEP

The way it works today is that most pallets in Australia are leased from CHEP, rather than being owned by individual businesses. CHEP takes care of things like replacing damaged pallets, and it makes things easier when you don't need to worry about returning a particular pallet to the supplier that owns it. But, since the pallets are leased, you need to pay CHEP when you're using them, and they charge huge penalties if you're caught using CHEP pallets without paying for them. So they've got a bit of a bad rep amongst skinflint business owners who tried to save a few bucks and got burned.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BMan posted:

I see a bunch of blue ones in that bonfire tower, did they get sued?

Hopefully, those monsters, burning somebody else's property! :argh

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

One company, CHEP, owns pretty much all the pallets. They "lease" the pallets out, but say they still own the pallet.

They sue anybody caught using the pallets, but not paying the leasing fee.

Yeah we have those blue CHEP ones in Canada too. Used to work part time at a RONA and the director flipped out when one of the forklift guys put one of them in the "recycling pallet" pile.

They couldn't ever get if they were 50$ or 500$ each though, that changed every time.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

I like how in the example usage the ladder would have been on a flat surface if it weren't for the extra width of the special leveling feature.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Yeah we have those blue CHEP ones in Canada too. Used to work part time at a RONA and the director flipped out when one of the forklift guys put one of them in the "recycling pallet" pile.

They couldn't ever get if they were 50$ or 500$ each though, that changed every time.

I was always told $50 each at my transport job. We have a building dedicated 100% to sorting out empty pallets. Chep (american and canadian), Peco, Molson, standard 4-way junk pallets, like 9 types of plastic... We see a lot of pallets. Enough to employ four shifts of 2 people (4-on-4-off 12hr days).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Guy Axlerod posted:

I like how in the example usage the ladder would have been on a flat surface if it weren't for the extra width of the special leveling feature.

Both examples really. But for say, cleaning the gutters and your lawn is more than 5 years old, it's going to be uneven, and I can see the use in that.

ASK ME HOW I KNOW

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
as someone who's carried a lot of big ladders through small doors and hallways i definitely want a big wide thing on the end to make that whole process even more fun.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I have a ladder with all-terrain legs, by necessity, and they're a pain in the rear end to use. The controls on that look way nicer. Although I would rather it had feet instead of a bar, that bar is assuming a lot about the ground between the ends.

Mimesweeper posted:

as someone who's carried a lot of big ladders through small doors and hallways i definitely want a big wide thing on the end to make that whole process even more fun.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that, in general, the all-terrain ladder's general use case is not inside buildings.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mimesweeper posted:

That's a heck of a thing to say about your assistant.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Dashcam footage of the Seattle crane accident last weekend has emerged. Rip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk29sqZ9_VQ&t=13s

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Even though like a million other people also do, it's freaking me out a little because I go through that spot pretty much every work day.

Anyway, regarding the CHEP pallets: the thing I don't understand is why there are non-chep, not nearly as rugged, normal rear end pallets that are painted the exact same blue. Like, who are they trying to fool?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Well, who you got?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

a kitten posted:

Anyway, regarding the CHEP pallets: the thing I don't understand is why there are non-chep, not nearly as rugged, normal rear end pallets that are painted the exact same blue. Like, who are they trying to fool?

You only have to fool the truck driver who is taking 26 empty pallets in exchange for 26 full, CHEP pallets. Throw the odd fake one into that stack and you've made a bit of cash out of him.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

JackSplater posted:

I was always told $50 each at my transport job. We have a building dedicated 100% to sorting out empty pallets. Chep (american and canadian), Peco, Molson, standard 4-way junk pallets, like 9 types of plastic... We see a lot of pallets. Enough to employ four shifts of 2 people (4-on-4-off 12hr days).

Yeah 50$ always made more sense to me considering the materials used.

That sounds like a lot of pallets O_O We only piled up to like... 50 before their truck came by to get them, if any was missing we'd have to find it.

Driving a forklift (gas and electrical) and other stuff like pickers and pallet transporters was a really fun job as a teenager though so I can't complain too much

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

That sounds like a lot of pallets O_O We only piled up to like... 50 before their truck came by to get them, if any was missing we'd have to find it.

Driving a forklift (gas and electrical) and other stuff like pickers and pallet transporters was a really fun job as a teenager though so I can't complain too much

It is a ridiculous amount. We've got like thirty buildings across four provinces and the one I work at is the central hub of sorts, so everything comes to us.

A trailer that gets sent back to chep has almost 600 empty pallets in it. Our pallet building fills at least one per day, usually two or three.

We don't get the good forklifts, almost all of ours run natural gas because it's cheaper than propane. Gasoline would need completely new refueling infrastructure, and electrical would take up precious floor space (and would cost a bunch to switch to, even if it is cheaper in the long run).

Oh, and since it is the OSHA thread, the fuel tank on one of our lifts had a big sticker that said "Do not use after jan 2016" on it. That only got replaced last summer.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Starbucks is installing needle-disposal boxes in locations across America following OSHA penalties and worker concerns about drug use in bathrooms
https://www.businessinsider.nl/starbucks-needle-disposal-boxes-more-locations-2019-4

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You can tell them to gently caress right off in Canada though.

most of the reusable pallets i've seen in Canada re the orange CPC ones, but they never sued anybody and that's probably why they died

emf
Aug 1, 2002

Dumb fucks getting out of their car in the middle of a busy street to gawk is pretty OSHA.

JackSplater posted:

Oh, and since it is the OSHA thread, the fuel tank on one of our lifts had a big sticker that said "Do not use after jan 2016" on it. That only got replaced last summer.
Just the sticker was replaced, right?

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Looks like some poor guy rode the thing down.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

RaffyTaffy posted:

Like an OSHA Slim Pickens

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

RaffyTaffy posted:

Definitely at least one person, I believe two of the fatalities were in the crane. The other two were in cars that got crushed by the falling debris.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Goons I think I may be in possession of stolen property please don’t call the cops :ohdear:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Holy poo poo, don't post photo evidence of your crimes on the internet

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I like to imagine BROPEBT is a CHEP knock-off, like LEPIN was for Lego.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

RandomPauI posted:

I like to imagine BROPEBT is a CHEP knock-off, like LEPIN was for Lego.

I think that’s PROPERTY OF and then the second line may actually be CHEP?? :siren::siren::siren:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/swiftonsecurity/status/1122721846254821376?s=21

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I know what it's supposed to say, I still like the idea of knock off a pallet company offering number one best bargains real wood blue pallets.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk29sqZ9_VQ&t=13s

AvE has an interesting take on it and I agree with him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cexN2-T6dxY

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Armchair engineering and all, his explanation and evidence looks pretty damning to me. The only part I’m having a hard time with is that he mentioned that maybe someone pulled all the pins at once before removing the sections, but that doesn’t jive with the earlier comment that driving the pins without the tower being supported from above is super hard.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm not sure what he was getting at either, but it does seem pretty clear that the pins were definitely not installed when the crane collapsed.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

VikingSkull posted:

That was pretty informative. Who s that guy that seems to know so much about cranes? Probably too early to call, but it seems to make sense. Terrible situation. Jfc that college freshman girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Armchair engineering and all, his explanation and evidence looks pretty damning to me. The only part I’m having a hard time with is that he mentioned that maybe someone pulled all the pins at once before removing the sections, but that doesn’t jive with the earlier comment that driving the pins without the tower being supported from above is super hard.

Maybe the did that earlier in the day, then winds picked up. And now it’s too windy to replace them. Why not do one section at a time is my issue.