Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

"Jon is dumb as hell and gets lucky constantly" is like an ongoing theme of the show though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Me, dumb: "the writers of the show are bad"

You, wise: "GRRM saw 20 years into the future and mistitled his book series as a red herring to distract from HBO contractual obligations and the popularity of internet memes making obviously bad characters more likable in the show because America had a really dumb election"

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Nights Watch are societies dipshits. Night King was prob some loser Uber dipshit from them so no wonder he died stupidly

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Snow Cone Capone posted:

"Jon is dumb as hell and gets lucky constantly" is like an ongoing theme of the show though

He's saved by the power of friendship. He's like Harry Potter but with a sword.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Watch the last scene of the show be a zoom in shot of a dead guy and then all of a sudden his eyes open and they're blue. WOAH

gently caress you I hate that this is gonna be it

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

That just means the gods favor jon snow or else he'd probably have frozen to death in season one on his way to take the black like a retard

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Me, dumb: "the writers of the show are bad"

You, wise: "GRRM saw 20 years into the future and mistitled his book series as a red herring to distract from HBO contractual obligations and the popularity of internet memes making obviously bad characters more likable in the show because America had a really dumb election"

Me, confused: "the show is condensing 2 probably gigantic, unwritten books into 1 season, and the showrunners are playing to the masses that eat up 'sexy political intrigue' over 'fantasy ice zombie apocalypse'"

e: like I'm genuinely not sure why you think "the show is called Game of Thrones because in the end it's all about the throne :downs:" is in any way a defense of the writing.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Me, confused: "the show is condensing 2 probably gigantic, unwritten books into 1 season, and the showrunners are playing to the masses that eat up 'sexy political intrigue' over 'fantasy ice zombie apocalypse'"

This show sounds awful.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

poverty goat posted:

That just means the gods favor jon snow or else he'd probably have frozen to death in season one on his way to take the black like a retard

In the end Sam finds a scroll in the citadel about how the Red Priests went north of the wall, Ygritte was one of them, and "you know nothing, Jon Snow" is an extremely accurate and specific part of the Azor Ahai prophecy.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

This show sounds awful.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

boar guy posted:

you mean the wall that is totally invalidated by letting your enemy capture one of your nukes in a worthless attempt at convincing the villain to join forces?

yea but like, instead of doing that and living in terror for thousands of years, just stab the guy

maybe with all the resources that went into making the wall and forts n stuff you just, like, poke him with a dagger

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Those fake spoilers are great because they've got Jon rejoining the night's watch to protect the realms of men from the absolute nothing that's north of the broken wall.

GoT fans are dumb as poo poo.

It'll be like the judge dredd movie, where they go off into the Eastern continent to crusade (die) against the dirty foreigners

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I bet the alternate Mandela effect version of game of thrones where jon isn't a retard and doesn't lead dani past the wall to lose a dragon and the wall doesn't come down and the final battle happens at the wall with waves of undead cresting at 2000 feet to top the wall is actually a lot better than the lovely show we got

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

sugar free jazz posted:

maybe with all the resources that went into making the wall and forts n stuff you just, like, poke him with a dagger

Woah now, the dagger has to be made out of an extremely rare and precious metal that every main character has at least two of.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Didn't Arya very specifically give her magic metal dagger to Sansa?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Who gives a gently caress.

Salsa Stark probably left it in the bathroom or something.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It was just dragonglass I think

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
150,000 YEARS LATER

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

So what we do here see, is build a two thousand foot high and hundreds to thousands of miles long magic ice wall to seal off the frozen north and it’s unspeakable horrors from the rest of Westeros.

*from the back of the room, shouting* Have you tried stabbing the unspeakable horrors with a small knife???

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

poverty goat posted:

It was extremely important to devote a scene to another throwback line, because the other 3 Important Throwback Lines for Arya weren't enough.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It was a dumb scene because it just led to confusion. You couldn't really see what she was giving Sansa so of course you'd think it was the valerian dagger. But then it wasn't. Because the show is poo poo.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

poverty goat posted:

I thought the same thing but you can see when her and Tyrion are squatting behind a grave it's just a dragonglass dagger.

Good job on making an episode of your show darker and harder to follow than Star War: A Han Solo Story you loving hacks.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

sugar free jazz posted:

So what we do here see, is build a two thousand foot high and hundreds to thousands of miles long magic ice wall to seal off the frozen north and it’s unspeakable horrors from the rest of Westeros.

*from the back of the room, shouting* Have you tried stabbing the unspeakable horrors with a small knife???

Listen buddy is your king named Brandon the Builder or Brandon the Stabber

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

back when they built the wall they didn't have an anime ninja girl with +10 plot armor and a magic dagger.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
That payoff for countless hours of horseback horde stepperider content got a hearty laugh out of me.
Everything else was by the numbers big fight episode.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

big nipples big life posted:

back when they built the wall they didn't have an anime ninja girl with +10 plot armor and a magic dagger.

Huge oversight because those are OP against everything except 35 year old Danish women playing teenagers, but even then they can use their advanced healing factor to recover from three deep gut stabs and sloshing in a sewage canal with the open wounds.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Me last week: wow these episodes seems really short
Me this week: this episode could have been better if it was 20 minutes long
Me next every week: this show sucks

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

King Bran would be dumb as poo poo.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

a new study bible! posted:

It’s God-Emperor Bran, you idiot

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

a new study bible! posted:

Less than 24 hours ago dumb as poo poo was still a valid reason for something not to happen on this show.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Don't know what you guys are bitching about, thoroughly enjoyed the episode. Last time I had this much fun with ~tv~ was the last season of twin peaks.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I still have no idea how the night king could have tackled the wall if traitor night queen Daenerys hadn’t given him a dragon. wasn’t that poo poo like 1000 feet tall? That stupid adventure last season cost tens of thousands of lives

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

much of the wall is completely unmanned though so just find a random spot and start scaling it? the concept of a wall hundreds of miles long has always been dumb because how the gently caress is something that long stopping anyone when you also know the night's watch is very understrength.

also i dont understand why this episode was what it was. like, if they're trying to setup a conflict between the north and cersei, why not have the danaerys and jon lose at winterfell and flee south, creating the tension of an impending undead invasion trashing king's landing on top of the political conflict? this actually justified cersei refusing to march north -- they didn't loving need her

Seven Hundred Bee fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 29, 2019

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

also is everyone north of the wall dead. there seems to have been a thriving community of wildlings? but now they're all dead, right?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

much of the wall is completely unmanned though so just find a random spot and start scaling it? the concept of a wall hundreds of miles long has always been dumb because how the gently caress is something that long stopping anyone when you also known the night's watch is very understrength.

Right but let’s say this whole invasion happened like 5 days later and the human army was able to march north to the wall and actually man it as intended. NK is pretty much hosed and will probably run out of ice spears.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

much of the wall is completely unmanned though so just find a random spot and start scaling it? the concept of a wall hundreds of miles long has always been dumb because how the gently caress is something that long stopping anyone when you also know the night's watch is very understrength.

also i dont understand why this episode was what it was. like, if they're trying to setup a conflict between the north and cersei, why not have the danaerys and jon lose at winterfell and flee south, creating the tension of an impending undead invasion trashing king's landing on top of the political conflict? this actually justified cersei refusing to march north -- they didn't loving need her

If they lost there'd be no conflict, at least this way they can pretend they have enough of an army left to take on Cersei's 20,000 fresh mercenaries.

At some point in the next few episodes I'd expect to see whoever comes out on top in the North doing magic TV teleportation to visit places that weren't affected by the zombie invasion, but are still against Cersei (Dorne, Riverrun, etc.) and ask for soldiers.

BlackStar
Aug 21, 2004

the concept of a wall hundreds of miles long has always been dumb because how the gently caress is something that long stopping anyone when you also know the night's watch is very understrength.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If the show is anything to go by instead of Manning the wall the humans would march through the tunnel and engage them on foot.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

well we have no idea how many soldiers they have left because army sizes have been wildly inconsistent (as well as place sizes and teleporting, but yea). cersei has 20,000 soldiers from the golden company, but how many are left in the lannister army in addition to that? there was enough that jaime was preparing to lead them north last season, so is 20,000 a significant addition? doesn't danaerys control territory that would produce an army hundreds of thousands strong, plus what she brought over (hundreds of thousands more?)?

you could easily still have a significant army left as they were retreating, or them gathering more forces from those left to guard other areas (presumably), and you also get the conflict between jon wanting to preserve his men but also acknowledging letting the white walkers march south is condemning thousands of civilians to death

edit: we also still have no sense of what the gently caress the north is. like, its a bunch of fields of snow plus a random castle in winterfell? where the actual people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I think it would be totally possible to make a giant corpse pile and just get over it that way. Didn't they say there's like 20-30,000 zombies?