Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
It would be so easy to expand bike voucher into a full episode. Maybe a character can't ride a bike and needs to learn how with the help of Pokemon. Or maybe there's a bike race and one guy is cheating with Pokemon.

There are multiple anime series that are exclusively about bikes, and they don't even have Pokemon in them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gripweed posted:

It would be so easy to expand bike voucher into a full episode. Maybe a character can't ride a bike and needs to learn how with the help of Pokemon. Or maybe there's a bike race and one guy is cheating with Pokemon.

There are multiple anime series that are exclusively about bikes, and they don't even have Pokemon in them

I was talking about the bike voucher, not Cycling Road. Cycling Road actually did get an episode.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Why the hell isn't there a pokemon called Kick Lad?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s8Kptm6L4I
I like how there are about a dozen cats and Meowth isn't one of them. :allears:

Also, "Rock Guy" is actually pretty close to "Geodude".

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Some of these are pretty close to the actual Japanese names. :v:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Silver2195 posted:

That seems backwards. Given that they have 3-4 years to fill, why wouldn't they adapt every bit of the games they could alongside their own ideas?

Edit: I suppose part of the reason, in general, is that a lot of elements from the games don't make much sense outside the context of a video game (the various puzzles in the Gyms and caves that work on Chip's Challenge/Sokoban logic, for example). Plus a lot of "plot points" (e.g., the Bike Voucher, Steven revealing the Kecleon) would be hard to stretch into a full episode's worth of plot. But that doesn't explain why actually interesting storylines like Silph Co. get ignored, while some game plot points not much more complex than the Bike Voucher (like chasing Farfetch'd around Ilex Forest) get full episodes.

Edit 2: Come to think of it, the Bike Voucher would have made an amusing B-plot. While Ash and Brock are off looking for Diglett or something, Misty is listening to the Fan Club Chairman drone on and on about his Rapidash and struggling to resist the temptation to yell about how water-types are better than fire-types.

And the thing is that these are 20 hour RPG without that much story. A year anime would be a stretch, but I can see it. You'd need to stuff the other 2-3 years with anime-only content, so it basically becomes exactly what had been done at the time, but adhering more strictly to the games' events for more of a third of it instead of a loose fifth.

For the first few generations, I think they were simply throwing spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks, then gen 3 and 4 the formula got solidified and they knew what large strokes of the games to adapt easily.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Please choose the best fifty episodes of the anime, and then up to fifty more that provide necessary context, and post them in chronological order. I will, however, still not watch them. Thank you.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Bongo Bill posted:

Please choose the best fifty episodes of the anime, and then up to fifty more that provide necessary context, and post them in chronological order. I will, however, still not watch them. Thank you.

I'll make you watch all the "Getting lost in a forest and meet a trainer named Daton/Damon" episodes, Clockwork Orange style.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I don't like the direction the Pokemon thread has taken.

Instead let's discuss your favorite Pokemon TCG artwork.

For example, look at this cute poo poo.

This was a valiant effort and a cute picture and for this I applaud you

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nasgate posted:

How are you a Pokemon fan if you can't shut off your adult brain and enjoy things with the ten year old deep inside you?

See ten year old me had this thing called "standards." Anything that requires you to shut off your brain so it's bearable can get hosed thanks.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Flopsy posted:

See ten year old me had this thing called "standards." Anything that requires you to shut off your brain so it's bearable can get hosed thanks.

cosign, even as a child I bailed on the pokemon show because it sucked. but the latest seasons are fine if you've gotta watch something with a 5 year old (and gave me an excuse to have a "if somebody tells you no, that means stop asking and don't bother them about it" conversation with him)

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Flopsy posted:

Agreed. You can make something for kids, even a glorified toy commercial, but still make it good. See Beast Wars for an example of that.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Why the hell did they give Beldum the same catch rate as legendaries?! Not to mention it can kill itself with take down.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

RatHat posted:

Why the hell did they give Beldum the same catch rate as legendaries?! Not to mention it can kill itself with take down.

Because it wasn’t found in the wild in the games it was introduced in, so it wasn’t a problem. It wasn’t until DPPt that its ridiculously low catch rate became a problem

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Geostomp posted:

Agreed. You can make something for kids, even a glorified toy commercial, but still make it good. See Beast Wars for an example of that.

:eyepop:

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Bongo Bill posted:

I will take this obvious jokepost to talk about My Favorite Episode.

Leading A Stray.

It's a Diamond/Pearl filler episode that was aired directly after the Canalave Gym. Now, remember this general flowchart of your average episode?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

*meaning act 1, ash and co walk to a new place and meet some person with a pokemon and an issue, act 2 they try to solve the issue, act 3 team rocket did a bad thing and by defeating them in tepid battle, the person's problem is solved. Every few months go meet a gym leader, and every now and then have an actually interesting story kinda.

Ash and the gang are about to go to another of Dawn's contests by boat, but none of the ships can set sail because Wailord are blocking the way out. So they're adapting something from the games, except they're doing Lilycove for some reason despite being in Sinnoh?

They decide to go and have a lunch to stall for time, but when Brock brings out thefood, a Luxio pops out of nowhere and steals the food, together with a Nidoran and a Whismur. Alright, okay, the plot has been setup and we're gonna see how Team Rocket is inadvertently causing this, right?

Not quite. Scene change, Team Rocket is doing construction work because they're broke. Luxio and the other two open up a manhole cover and jump in. Team Rocket sees the group and thus promptly summon their mech

https://i.imgur.com/rVD3Lkt.mp4

They try to smash Pikachu with it but Ash grabs him and actionrolls into the manhole, the manhole cover somehow closing after him after having been popped up by the smash. They try to grab open the manhole cover but only succeed in bending it. Dawn then oneshots the mech with Piplup's whirlpool. This is Team Rocket's only part in the episode and we're only five minutes in.

Dawn and Brock try to open up the manhole cover but since it's bent they can't get it up, so Ash heads off into the sewers to try to find another exit. He runs into the Luxio again, and discover that they stole the food to feed a Wailmer that had somehow gotten stranded in the sewers. Ash helps it get back into the water and they head to where a colony of sewer Pokemon live, ranging between Venonat, Zubat, Rattata, Spheal and Teddiursa

The Teddiursas even have tiny apartments with furniture and all of this is important.

Anyways Dawn and Brock are still trying to get the manhole cover open but they don't really matter at all anymore in this episode.

Any other episode and we would already have been at the end but this episode is only halfway through and just getting started. Ash and Luxio try to backtrack out of the sewers so that the Wailmer can go back to its family. However, there's a tiny problem in that the wailmer seems to have fallen down a large sewer waterfall. Enter operation Ice Ramp, which is definitely one of the most absurd ones in the anime. Ash constructs a sled with Teddiursa's furniture and well, https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/195600530658033665/551662944077742080/Wailmer.gif (linked because it's big).

They see the way out and are reunited with Dawn and Brock but the episode ain't over yet. We're at like act ...5 or 6 at this point. There's a Swampert there and it's his territory, so they have a battle, Swampert is temporarily knocked out and they're finally out of the sewers. Okay, so now Wailmer can reunite with his family, end of episode, right?

Then Wailmer evolves, and the drawbridge is out, Wailord can't fit under it and there's no one inside the control room.

Ash and the gang break into the control room and hijack the controls by having pikachu and luxio provide power. However, the Swampert has woken up again and is very sloooowly approaching the wailmer. So to.... amp up the electricity(?) luxio calls out to the sewers and a bunch of nidoran and rattata run out and form a giant chain that all get electrocuted which increases the power(??) which allows wailord to actuallly move past the drawbridge, which causes a giant tidal wave which gets rid of the swampert because the episode was running outta time I guess. With the Wailord reunited, the ships can finally move out again so the gang goes to actually eat lunch. The End.

It's a dumb episode, nothing makes sense beyond an initial glance, there's so many plot contrivances but it's charmingly dumb, and everything happens at such a rapid pace that you just get carried along. There's episodes that have crazier plot events but none of them so it so rapidly, so naturally. It's the type of thing where you watch it and then just go "what the hell just happened" and it's completely standalone. But it IS fun, that's for sure.

anyways thanks for reading this LP of the pokémon anime, for other fun episodes see the one where an evil Togepi takes over Team Rocket's Mount Rushmore and heads out into space or really any of the Unown/nightmare ones poo poo i really wrote this much about this episode huh

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Waterfall of Salt posted:

I will take this obvious jokepost to talk about My Favorite Episode.

Leading A Stray.

It's a Diamond/Pearl filler episode that was aired directly after the Canalave Gym. Now, remember this general flowchart of your average episode?

Ash and the gang are about to go to another of Dawn's contests by boat, but none of the ships can set sail because Wailord are blocking the way out. So they're adapting something from the games, except they're doing Lilycove for some reason despite being in Sinnoh?

They decide to go and have a lunch to stall for time, but when Brock brings out thefood, a Luxio pops out of nowhere and steals the food, together with a Nidoran and a Whismur. Alright, okay, the plot has been setup and we're gonna see how Team Rocket is inadvertently causing this, right?

Not quite. Scene change, Team Rocket is doing construction work because they're broke. Luxio and the other two open up a manhole cover and jump in. Team Rocket sees the group and thus promptly summon their mech

https://i.imgur.com/rVD3Lkt.mp4

They try to smash Pikachu with it but Ash grabs him and actionrolls into the manhole, the manhole cover somehow closing after him after having been popped up by the smash. They try to grab open the manhole cover but only succeed in bending it. Dawn then oneshots the mech with Piplup's whirlpool. This is Team Rocket's only part in the episode and we're only five minutes in.

Dawn and Brock try to open up the manhole cover but since it's bent they can't get it up, so Ash heads off into the sewers to try to find another exit. He runs into the Luxio again, and discover that they stole the food to feed a Wailmer that had somehow gotten stranded in the sewers. Ash helps it get back into the water and they head to where a colony of sewer Pokemon live, ranging between Venonat, Zubat, Rattata, Spheal and Teddiursa

The Teddiursas even have tiny apartments with furniture and all of this is important.

Anyways Dawn and Brock are still trying to get the manhole cover open but they don't really matter at all anymore in this episode.

Any other episode and we would already have been at the end but this episode is only halfway through and just getting started. Ash and Luxio try to backtrack out of the sewers so that the Wailmer can go back to its family. However, there's a tiny problem in that the wailmer seems to have fallen down a large sewer waterfall. Enter operation Ice Ramp, which is definitely one of the most absurd ones in the anime. Ash constructs a sled with Teddiursa's furniture and well, https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/195600530658033665/551662944077742080/Wailmer.gif (linked because it's big).

They see the way out and are reunited with Dawn and Brock but the episode ain't over yet. We're at like act ...5 or 6 at this point. There's a Swampert there and it's his territory, so they have a battle, Swampert is temporarily knocked out and they're finally out of the sewers. Okay, so now Wailmer can reunite with his family, end of episode, right?

Then Wailmer evolves, and the drawbridge is out, Wailord can't fit under it and there's no one inside the control room.

Ash and the gang break into the control room and hijack the controls by having pikachu and luxio provide power. However, the Swampert has woken up again and is very sloooowly approaching the wailmer. So to.... amp up the electricity(?) luxio calls out to the sewers and a bunch of nidoran and rattata run out and form a giant chain that all get electrocuted which increases the power(??) which allows wailord to actuallly move past the drawbridge, which causes a giant tidal wave which gets rid of the swampert because the episode was running outta time I guess. With the Wailord reunited, the ships can finally move out again so the gang goes to actually eat lunch. The End.

It's a dumb episode, nothing makes sense beyond an initial glance, there's so many plot contrivances but it's charmingly dumb, and everything happens at such a rapid pace that you just get carried along. There's episodes that have crazier plot events but none of them so it so rapidly, so naturally. It's the type of thing where you watch it and then just go "what the hell just happened" and it's completely standalone. But it IS fun, that's for sure.

anyways thanks for reading this LP of the pokémon anime, for other fun episodes see the one where an evil Togepi takes over Team Rocket's Mount Rushmore and heads out into space or really any of the Unown/nightmare ones poo poo i really wrote this much about this episode huh

I nearly fell asleep halfway through this post but to your credit I probably would have fallen under less than halfway through the actual episode.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
How are you supposed to pronounce "Acerola" because I've just been calling her RC Cola.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Tir McDohl posted:

I nearly fell asleep halfway through this post but to your credit I probably would have fallen under less than halfway through the actual episode.

I really did try trimming it as much as possible but it's dense as hell and also dense as hell.

Also there's sewer apartments and I want to know about that backstory

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

galagazombie posted:

How are you supposed to pronounce "Acerola" because I've just been calling her RC Cola.

have you tried looking at the order in which the letters are positioned

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

galagazombie posted:

rear end rolla

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Areola

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

galagazombie posted:

Pick your favorite!

Wikipedia posted:

Spanish pronunciation: [aθeˈɾola], Brazilian Portuguese: [aseˈɾɔlɐ], European Portuguese: [ɐsɨˈɾɔlɐ]
(a-th-roh-la, a-se-roll-uh, uh-si-roll-uh, respectively, if I remember my IPA correctly)
So basically

RatHat posted:

rear end rolla

is pretty much there

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

:kimchi:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
never skip rear end day

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

It's kind of interesting how names for human characters have gotten more unusual over the years. The earliest games had it easy since only a few human characters had names to begin with. Gen 2 changed this by giving every non-grunt trainer a name, and important characters had to get creative in order to stand out. So you had characters with normal names in Gen 1 like "Brock" and "Misty", but by Gen 7, they have names like "Sophocles" and "Acerola".

Then you have Colosseum where the characters have completely made up names like "Ovtrey" or "Bisknar"

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Kanto is in Japan so everybody has common Western names.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zuzie posted:

Then you have Colosseum where the characters have completely made up names like "Ovtrey" or "Bisknar"

Bisknar Ovtrey was a famous Sumerian philosopher

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Bobson Dugnutt is my favorite ground Pokemon trainer.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

YaketySass posted:

Kanto is in Japan so everybody has common Western names.

Kanto is Japan as "default" from the perspective of a modern Japanese person, as opposed to the other three Japanese regions which are more "traditional"/"exotic." Though obviously this dichotomy doesn't hold 100% - one of the Kanto Gym Leaders is a ninja, for example - and applies more to the games than to the anime.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zuzie posted:

It's kind of interesting how names for human characters have gotten more unusual over the years. The earliest games had it easy since only a few human characters had names to begin with. Gen 2 changed this by giving every non-grunt trainer a name, and important characters had to get creative in order to stand out. So you had characters with normal names in Gen 1 like "Brock" and "Misty", but by Gen 7, they have names like "Sophocles" and "Acerola".

There are only so many element puns that work as names, so they had to start branching out as things went on.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Zuzie posted:

It took me six years to notice that it was "Duking" and not "Dunking".

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

It took me six years to notice that it was "Duking" and not "Dunking".

idiot. clown. fool..dunking is the dunsparce evo

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dunsparce galar regional form will happen

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Johnny Joestar posted:

dunsparce galar regional form will happen

I hope they finally give some love to the forgotten no evolution Pokémon, like Dunsparce, Farfetch’d, etc. Either a new evolution or a mega evolution.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

give farfetch'd a leek sword

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I don't like the direction the Pokemon thread has taken.

Instead let's discuss your favorite Pokemon TCG artwork.

For example, look at this cute poo poo.

That’s adorable. I was just thinking yesterday that I should just use both Raichus’ in Let’s Go instead of trying to choose a favorite. They’re both the best boys.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

RatHat posted:

I hope they finally give some love to the forgotten no evolution Pokémon, like Dunsparce, Farfetch’d, etc. Either a new evolution or a mega evolution.

Man, I'm still pissed Maractus didn't get a mega evo back when that was a thing. My favorite forgotten mon.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

no one forgot dunsparce, it’s consistently top on the list of best monsters i love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Dabir posted:

idiot. clown. fool..dunking is the dunsparce evo

the evolution of dunsparce is dunplentiful