Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
I got the game today and I love it but is there a way to mass build blueprints at one time or at least a hotkey for building a selected blueprint building?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just figured it out.

Spaseman fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vandalism posted:

Also I had a quest with a cool reward, some rodrigo guy, and he just disappeared. Wtf.
If you got him from a citizen quest, you might want to see if he's hanging out in one of the optimisation buildings on that island. I think quest rewards sometimes get equipped automatically if you have a free slot for them - otherwise I have no explanation for something similar that happened to me.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

vandalism posted:

My big problem has been overproduction. I plop down big production chains and let it rise and now I have tons of poo poo. I may start a new game and carefully calculate.

Also I had a quest with a cool reward, some rodrigo guy, and he just disappeared. Wtf.

Yeah, I've had quests claim they gave me a guy, and then that guy wasn't anywhere in any of my ships or islands. I think it's either a bug, or the game expects you to have a ship ready to collect him at a specific (or wrong) place and he becomes flotsam and disappears eventually.

So, in good news, my island park is coming along nicely:

In bad news, that's because I've finally committed to getting investors this game, and the Engineering tier is slow as all gently caress. And worse, it's slow as all goddamned gently caress if your big city is on a different island than your starting oil, like my situation. No Old World island seems to start with 6 oil, so you can't just power your industry and your city with what you start with, you need to set up the infrastructure to expand. Which means you have to build:

Starting island refinery -> Starting island Oil Harbor-> Starting Island Power Plant -> Starting Island Steamship Harbor -> Steam Engine Factory -> 600 Obreros on an Island in the New World

Every single step there is long and arduous and involves more steel bars and concrete and glass windows that the game just becomes "go putter around with decorations while you wait for concrete to fill up". And if your Engineers all reside on a different island, add in two "build a commuter pier" steps as well.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
if you're overproducing stuff remember that you can sell it

some things even sell for a lot of extra money to specific people - off the top of my head the prison warden dude pays a fuckload for soap, so if he's in a convenient location you can overproduce soap on purpose early to sell to him and tone back the sales when you need more soap for yourself

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
Alonso Graves is Kurtz from Apocalypse Now, he hates propaganda because it covers up the truth and Graves is all about unvarnished brutality.

He likes dumb stuff like asking you to sink one of his ships or letting him set a fire on your island. He's aggressive and builds up an armada quickly to destroy other competitors or wipe out the pirates, he likes it when you build warships en masse or sink pirates. I crushed him once with a frigate rush because his quests are too loving edgy and another time let him grow so I could kill him again with bigger ships.

The AI has the same problem as 2070, they cheat because their economy isn't reflected in their islands, you can't make them demolish large parts of their city due to attrition from losing ships and supply chains, 1404 was the last time they played by the rules.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

That moment when you realize that the starting island the game gave you comes with wheat AND hops so you can satisfy everything up to artisans without even building ships is a wonderful one.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Alkydere posted:

That moment when you realize that the starting island the game gave you comes with wheat AND hops so you can satisfy everything up to artisans without even building ships is a wonderful one.

But how are you going to fit all the houses and factories and farms on the same island, huh?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Delacroix posted:

The AI has the same problem as 2070, they cheat because their economy isn't reflected in their islands, you can't make them demolish large parts of their city due to attrition from losing ships and supply chains, 1404 was the last time they played by the rules.

Yeah this annoys me because I took over all O'Mara's new world islands yet she's still got a booming economy and happy investors and engineers even though she couldn't be producing the stuff they need.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Boksi posted:

But how are you going to fit all the houses and factories and farms on the same island, huh?

You can make it work.

I always recommend moving artisans off your farmer/worker island though, you need 6000 farmers, 8000 workers, and 6000 artisans if you want ~10k investors and getting all of them on one island kind of sucks. Artisans get offloaded to the bigger investor island so I can bulk ship all my new world goods. Conveniently with the expansion pop bonuses 200 of each of the artisan/engineer/investor houses gives you near perfect workforce counts to supply them all.

----

PSA: Use the temperate grove culture item to fill in all open space on your islands once you're mostly set, it's a much higher density fill than natural forest so fills in real pretty and also does this:

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 28, 2019

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Just a head's up, Anne the Pirate buys beer at an order of magnitude higher price than any other alcohol in game, about 550 quid per unit as opposed to 48 for rum or schnapps. You can make stupid amounts of money from a wheat-hops island near her stronghold and the high amounts of positive relationship that comes from the trade will keep you in a permanent alliance.

The great M
Sep 10, 2010

The prince.

And then you.

skeleton warrior posted:

In bad news, that's because I've finally committed to getting investors this game, and the Engineering tier is slow as all gently caress. And worse, it's slow as all goddamned gently caress if your big city is on a different island than your starting oil, like my situation. No Old World island seems to start with 6 oil, so you can't just power your industry and your city with what you start with, you need to set up the infrastructure to expand. Which means you have to build:

Starting island refinery -> Starting island Oil Harbor-> Starting Island Power Plant -> Starting Island Steamship Harbor -> Steam Engine Factory -> 600 Obreros on an Island in the New World

Every single step there is long and arduous and involves more steel bars and concrete and glass windows that the game just becomes "go putter around with decorations while you wait for concrete to fill up". And if your Engineers all reside on a different island, add in two "build a commuter pier" steps as well.

Tip: if you increase productivity of oil, it counts towards every oil tower individually. If you have 4 towers and increase productivity by 50%, you generate 600% oil. This allows you to supply 2 power plants from every starting island, even if you have only 4 oil wells.

Just make sure to build a police station right next to your towers :v:

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

The great M posted:

Tip: if you increase productivity of oil, it counts towards every oil tower individually. If you have 4 towers and increase productivity by 50%, you generate 600% oil. This allows you to supply 2 power plants from every starting island, even if you have only 4 oil wells.

Just make sure to build a police station right next to your towers :v:

That is extremely interesting, thank you! I keep forgetting I can just outright increase productivity for the happiness hit. I'm usually so bad at income that I can't afford to lose the taxes a happiness hit would drive.

Speaking of which: RIP Island Park game. Apparently, after the first loan Her Majesty gives you, going back into debt is an instant game-over. Thanks for telling me in advance, game! Though it's entirely my fault for not paying attention to my fur needs and realizing that when 4 Canned Food factories weren't enough, maybe 2 Fur Dealers were also not enough.

Lessons learned:
* The best way to get goods from the New World seems to be to send a big ship to pick up only one type of good, have it wait until full, and then sail back to the Old World, and fill that route with as many ships as needed to match production. Trying to just assume that three ships on a line will keep things moving meant that I had industry shut down for nowhere to produce, while 3 bunched-up-Clippers sailed with the front one full, the next one at half, and the last completely empty.

* Each oil tanker holds 400 oil, and each Power Plant uses 200, so one tanker at full can support 2 Power Plants (which should be enough for any island - one for industry, one for the city). It seemed like 3 covered constant travel to and back from the New World.

* All processing buildings, and charcoal burners, seem to benefit from electricity. I'm going to move all of that stuff down to the Power Plant coast area on my starting island eventually, maybe I should just build it there to start with. It means a little more upkeep from warehouses, but it'll save me the huge cost of moving it later, and from having tiny little holes in my field layouts.

Taking a break. Will start a new island better later.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I'm at engineers and smoothing things out. I guess investors are the top tier. I feel like I beat the game successfully playing up to engineers. I might start a new game with some different npcs. I like the air write up posted here.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Might've been too optimistic with putting everything except for AA on the highest setting. Tried DX11 instead of 12, not a whole lot of difference. Anyone figured out what the most CPU-intensive settings are?

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I heard lighting to low makes things better.

I put it on dx12 cause i also heard that was a performance boost.

I am tempted to restart again. poo poo has become a big mess. Welp. Fuckin engineers. Maybe I'll just encounter the same thing again so maybe I shouldn't restart.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Yeah that seems to help.

On another subject; what's y'alls favorite island setup? I like small islands with low resources and non-aggressive NPCs in theory, but I'm wondering if the micro will be too bothersome until DLCs and patches fixes a few of the issues people have with keeping everything in order atm.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I'm...not exactly sure if I want?

I think this ends up a net positive despite cattle farms being a pain in the rear end because this lets my sausage factories act en-masse as goulash kitchens which cuts down on the number of the kitchens and pepper farms I need. I just wish I knew the %chance for the "sometimes provides extra stuff."

Either way the expedition that netted me the chef was a massive success even if I don't want this guy because I got THIS doctor from an earlier event who alone was worth going on a 3-skull rescue mission:

The bonuses are solid for emergency building bonuses but I doubt I'll use him for that. I find buffing emergency buildings to be kind of a non issue, and he gives a whopping 45 medicine and 20 crafting and comes with a special trait for events so he's totally gonna sail the 7 seas.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Alkydere posted:

I'm...not exactly sure if I want?

I think this ends up a net positive despite cattle farms being a pain in the rear end because this lets my sausage factories act en-masse as goulash kitchens which cuts down on the number of the kitchens and pepper farms I need. I just wish I knew the %chance for the "sometimes provides extra stuff."

Either way the expedition that netted me the chef was a massive success even if I don't want this guy because I got THIS doctor from an earlier event who alone was worth going on a 3-skull rescue mission:

The bonuses are solid for emergency building bonuses but I doubt I'll use him for that. I find buffing emergency buildings to be kind of a non issue, and he gives a whopping 45 medicine and 20 crafting and comes with a special trait for events so he's totally gonna sail the 7 seas.

Beef, while (much) worse in field layout, doesn't cause any pollution. There's also the regular rare guy who makes slaughterhouses 30% cheaper and produce tallow for soap, and a good 20% boost from a green guy. Those three around your slaughterhouses will make them real strong. Especially so if you put them on a production island and boost them by another 50%. You really get to a point where you want to maximize trade union use because at 20 influence each they add up fast, so have 3 good people for one building type is very good.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah that seems to help.

On another subject; what's y'alls favorite island setup? I like small islands with low resources and non-aggressive NPCs in theory, but I'm wondering if the micro will be too bothersome until DLCs and patches fixes a few of the issues people have with keeping everything in order atm.

Atoll with all the islands settings set to easy. The way islands are set up in 1800 and the workforce needs you really want a few big islands to work with for population, then you can add smaller support islands after the fact (between the free expansion populations and later commuter docks), but low fertility and especially mine count will just hurt you bad in the long run because the later trees expect a whole shitload of iron/coal/bronze/gold. Trade ships cost influence and you can't just add them forever. You can turn all the other settings up in custom to make the rest of the game more difficult, but bad island settings just makes everything tedious after playing this game a lot these last couple weeks.

This is my current atoll game, you can see what I mean.

Atoll puts all the big islands on the outside corners, and the route to the New World is always SW, so you grab one of the south or west ones (whichever supports workers better) then go nuts there. Push a small number of houses up to engineers to get commuter docks, then roll them back and start expanding to new islands. Also buy shares of your AI opponents main islands, they print you free money (seriously, their main islands start to be worth a ton once they have engineers/investors).

Offload all pollution and most production to a hellpit, crank all production up to +50% and throw police and fire stations as you go so that all buildings have a couple in coverage. The riots/fires do not last long enough to make up for how insanely good 150% base production on everything is. Well placed power plants and trade unions do wonders here as well.

Little support islands can be super specialized this way as well. A couple good boosters in that trade union + production sliders have both farm types at 210%. Commuter docks add the free population from new islands through the expansion bonus so it's worth putting them down everywhere, you can safely support about 5-6 before investors.

And finally, once you settle in you can make a paradise for artisan+. Takes a while to get off the ground but now I'm pretty much just scaling up the new world for taking on 10k investors. I haven't fully finalized the investor layout (I like to play with blueprints in game and not the offline tool) but once I do I can post my layout. Every house there has full needs and full electricity coverage from 2 plants thus far, will likely need a third plant to cover all investors. 200 of each house is the plan, its a nice, neat 6000 A /8000 E / 10000 Investors at the end. 6000 F / 8000 W on the first island, with 1000 more of each class completely free from the 5 commuter docks + 300 points into expansion.

The new world is unfortunately a lot less awesome so I'm still working out everything there too. I'm going to need a shitload of gold.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Apr 29, 2019

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Don't be shy. Now show us your New World islands. Even your organizational and min/max skills have to find those a challenge Mazz. They'll still make me feel like a disorganized mess in comparison...

Also I want to call bullshit: the game went "Beware the pirates are coming back" and instantly gave the island back to Jeane as soon as his frigate spawned. Suddenly my 3 Ships of the Line were surrounded on all sides by guns.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Alkydere posted:

Now show us your New World islands.

Even your organizational and min/max skills have to find those a challenge Mazz.

Yep, I have been putting those off till I got my engineer layout done, I'm tackling those tonight. It definitely won't be as neat but I got the single island you start with in the campaign to go a real long way so I think I can get a lot done with 2 of the bigger options in the new world. I'm going to be torturing some mine workers though, I hope they know that. The big thing is really just maximizing space usage as best you can. Like that farm island above has something like 14 unused tiles, I couldn't even find a place for a fire station :lol:

Also the new world has some crazy good boosters for farms that stack, i think you can get coffee/cocoa/cotton/plaintains to 50% productivity w/ 50% less modules.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

God yeah, those gold mines. 2:30 production time and you can't even use electricity in the New World.

Edit:
I just stuffed an investor with massive piles of food and I got this guy in return:

Literally provides all Farmer/worker food needs to affected farmer/worker buildings as long as they have access to a pub.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 29, 2019

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

Redeye Flight posted:

Margaret Hunt is utterly loving terrifying and she also hates you, personally. Bring your A game to her or she will go out of her way to grind you to powder.

I had no idea when I just started a new custom game. She declared war on me inside of 10 minutes, and nothing I did could get her to stop. After she took an island (relatively undeveloped, thankfully) from me, and sank my first expedition to find the new world, I built up a fleet and smashed her main and secondary islands, leaving her with an outpost with 4 houses on it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Sipher posted:

I had no idea when I just started a new custom game. She declared war on me inside of 10 minutes, and nothing I did could get her to stop. After she took an island (relatively undeveloped, thankfully) from me, and sank my first expedition to find the new world, I built up a fleet and smashed her main and secondary islands, leaving her with an outpost with 4 houses on it.

After watching Raptor on YT fight with her, I'm fairly sure she'll be back :).

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
One other thing that was mentioned, don’t fight pirate lady, get a trade agreement. She sells extremely good ship modules and buys liquor at amazing prices. Every ceasefire is +5, every flatter and gift that works is 1-4, and once you trade it’s 99 forever. She is a way better friend than any of the NPCs, all she does is make ships and patrol. You can see her giant blob of death in my screenshots annoying Qing.

Literally all 11-12 of my trade ships have +15-25% movespeed from her. She has the +15% move rare guy like every third draw.

EDIT: I also can’t tell if there are any advantages at all to Alliances. They just seem to gently caress up your diplomacy w/ the other NPCs. I get trade agreements with everyone and deny alliance requests. Curious if some quests are tied to allies though. Well the easy AI, most of the hard AI decay faster than you can fix so they’ll hate you eventually anyway.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 29, 2019

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

Mayveena posted:

After watching Raptor on YT fight with her, I'm fairly sure she'll be back :).

Is she defeated if I wreck all her old world islands? My fleet is repairing and heading back to smash her last outpost.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Black Griffon posted:

I've been going with random medium size/medium resource islands, George, Beryl, and Gasparov, and no pirates. I'm enjoying the logistic/placement hurdles of settling medium islands enough that it's fun, and medium resources means I actually have to consider which islands I want and which don't give me enough extra stuff to prioritize. Three medium opponents expand fast enough that I can't simply ignore expansion or defense; and no pirates means that I don't have to loving babysit my fleets every 30 seconds.

I finally hit Investors with my new game: I lucked out and started on a big island with 6 oil, so while people bitch a bit about pollution I was able get my megacity up and running with electricity without as much pain as every previous time. I also made sure to pause when I hit a new level, bring up everyone I could, and then put in all of the infrastructure for their needs and wants before starting the challenge of looping in new industries (which is fun and distracting and I tend to focus on rather than making sure I actually have the needed sausages for everyone else). I have nearly a million dollars, a huge income, and George and I stomped everyone else flat and he likes me a bunch so I'm well into coasting time. Now I have to decide if I'm going to actually see through building the monument I made the 'official' win condition, or just declare unofficial victory and try it with different settings/opponents.

I haven't yet faced any of the 3-stars. They don't sound fun.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Silva is not actually in the expert settings last I saw; you have to pick him manually, and that dude will challenge you all game. I needed 4 defense guns per island to keep him from blowing up all my warehouses.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Sipher posted:

Is she defeated if I wreck all her old world islands? My fleet is repairing and heading back to smash her last outpost.

Unsure. I stopped watching his playthrough so I didn't see the end, but he beat her up and took islands from her and somehow she just kept coming.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Anno 1800 fastest selling Anno ever. So smart to release both the Closed Beta (it wasn't that hard to get a code) and especially the Open Beta. People could feel confident in the state of the game. More publishers should do this.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

It seems to be a big uPlay thing these days. I certainly don't mind.

Also, I can't see myself playing without free repositioning and full money back from destruction. I guess playing without is more of a challenge, but beautification and nice looking cities is what I live for.

I guess money isn't really a problem either way, but early on, getting resources back from roads and quays is pretty useful.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Black Griffon posted:

Also, I can't see myself playing without free repositioning and full money back from destruction. I guess playing without is more of a challenge, but beautification and nice looking cities is what I live for.

I guess money isn't really a problem either way, but early on, getting resources back from roads and quays is pretty useful.

It pushes you to use blueprint more but yeah it's kind of pointless to turn that stuff off in the long run. It's not making you better at Anno, it just makes you pay for trying to be creative and play around with layouts. I think I do half refunds now just to remind myself blueprint mode is a thing I should be using because it keeps me from making a bunch of incomplete chains as I bounce around to different things.

On another note, I found out my islands are in fact fully sustainable as I left the game running the background when I went to work this morning and gained 50 million gold and only had 6 farms burn down.

Also, I just got this psycho from a quest :eyepop:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

i get enough challenge out of managing supply networks and trying to stuff as much industry as possible onto my islands, as far as im concerned the extra fees and reduced workforce and what not just get in the way of that.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Note to self: people do not like you taking over their islands via majority ownership. Posh British lady declared war on me as I was snatching up her islands to get that expansionist bonus and I was.. ill prepared. I basically decommissioned my entire Navy so I could keep buying more shares with the influence points and my game is basically done at this point. Time to start over! :comeback:

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Just made it to engineers for the first time, trying to decide how to lay out production of concrete and other resources. Do yall like to try to spread out a few artisan buildings across various islands and produce the various precursors there, or just import everything to your main island and keep it as a manufacturing hub?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Eschatos posted:

Just made it to engineers for the first time, trying to decide how to lay out production of concrete and other resources. Do yall like to try to spread out a few artisan buildings across various islands and produce the various precursors there, or just import everything to your main island and keep it as a manufacturing hub?

Nah, bring it all into the middle. I have workers out on a bunch of islands because it's impossible to avoid (because A: otherwise your hub is completely overwhelmed with pollution from pigs and industry and B: sometimes the map is screwed up and you need to grab one of the tiny clay-pit islands or mine islands to support your empire) but artisans and above all stay on the hub. Otherwise, I'd have to set up a dozen more tiny logistic chains to bring them goods that I'd then have to monitor to make sure I'm not underproducing and gently caress that.

----

I decided to try a new game with the 1-star enemies to change it up and listen to their voice acting for a while, and holy crap they are inert. I thought to myself that to keep the challenge up, I'd go completely pacifist and if they beat me to an island, I've lost that island forever. Certainly, I said to myself, that would keep it a bit fair.

I'm currently just a bit shy of getting Engineers up, and they have all settled one island each. They haven't even made it to the New World.

I don't know whether to stop playing out of pity, or use this opportunity to make the biggest goddamned city I can.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I'm such a fan of making quaint little farms in the starting phases of a game. It's a shame that's much harder to accomplish when you have to take trade union radii into account and whatnot.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
God drat do the bonuses you can get own

Realized I wasn't accounting for electricity in my calculator stuff and just cut my production buildings down by close to half.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 30, 2019

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Black Griffon posted:

I'm such a fan of making quaint little farms in the starting phases of a game. It's a shame that's much harder to accomplish when you have to take trade union radii into account and whatnot.

Aw, man, that’s gorgeous. I gotta steal that for my non-maxed farms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I'm gonna start a game where I go full aesthetic.