Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Etrips posted:

Are you tuned at all? Consensus is that the APR and COBB TCU tunes are pretty much garbage and protunes are where the money is at.

Not yet but I'm thinking of going stage 1. At least if I get an accessport for the ECU tune I can always spend the extra money for the dsg tune later if I really feel like I need it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

BraveUlysses posted:

Not yet but I'm thinking of going stage 1. At least if I get an accessport for the ECU tune I can always spend the extra money for the dsg tune later if I really feel like I need it

So is my understanding that Stage 1 is computer tweaking to change shift times and whatnot and Stage 2 is when you start slapping new parts in the car correct? I was musing over putting a larger turbo in for reasons unknown to myself the other day and I may as well start down that road.

Nothing about nothing, but do we want to discuss the poll at all?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
"stage one" for cobb is basically swapping air filters and an off the rack tune

stage 2 is where decent parts start swapping

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
COBB OTS tunes are pretty weak by all standards.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah I get that they're not going for peak hp but I just want some extra power without bothering with swapping parts

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

BraveUlysses posted:

Yeah I get that they're not going for peak hp but I just want some extra power without bothering with swapping parts

If you're concerned about the warranty at all, just get a JB4. Even if you don't want to mess with anything and don't want to go past stage 1, still get a JB4.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I thought I found a great deal on a 2017 Golf R. Check out that last line. Good luck buddy.

Also, the dealer that I test drove the '18 at has jacked the prices up on all their '18's by at least a grand. That includes the one I drove several weeks ago that they still have. I'm sure it will sell now?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Even if it wasn't broken, 85k loving miles?

That's not much cheaper than I've been seeing Focus RS's in great shape and low miles going for. For some reason Golf Rs and CTRs keep their value like crazy and FoRS' get hit with insane depreciation. What's up with that?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=508700542

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=512189926

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 22, 2019

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

Even if it wasn't broken, 85k loving miles?

That's not much cheaper than I've been seeing Focus RS's in great shape and low miles going for. For some reason Golf Rs and CTRs keep their value like crazy and FoRS' get hit with insane depreciation. What's up with that?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=508700542

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=512189926

The warranty is for 85k miles. Except for the engine of course!

The RS and Golf R are very similar in price for the same year and mileage out here in the Denver region. The RS might be slightly cheaper but most of the ones I've seen have been very close.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fknlo posted:

The warranty is for 85k miles. Except for the engine of course!

The RS and Golf R are very similar in price for the same year and mileage out here in the Denver region. The RS might be slightly cheaper but most of the ones I've seen have been very close.

This one is local to me and it makes me feel bad that I paid MSRP for mine 2 years ago.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=512629089

Golf Rs for that price have double the miles.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Etrips posted:

If you're concerned about the warranty at all, just get a JB4. Even if you don't want to mess with anything and don't want to go past stage 1, still get a JB4.

eh i dunno i think the cobb looks pretty appealing...something doesnt sit right with me about black box tuners like JB

however i'm absolutely sure i'm going to pick up a set of whiteline aluminum LCAs when theres another ebay coupon available. just under half the price of the superpro version.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

This one is local to me and it makes me feel bad that I paid MSRP for mine 2 years ago.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=512629089

Golf Rs for that price have double the miles.

God drat that's cheap. I really need to drive an RS. Something at that price would totally be worth the trip to fly out and drive it back. That would be like $34k+ out here.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm not sure I'd want to drive an RS across the entire country. They are fun, but not particularly comfortable for long distances, especially if you're bigger.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

KillHour posted:

I'm not sure I'd want to drive an RS across the entire country. They are fun, but not particularly comfortable for long distances, especially if you're bigger.

I've done a few ~1100 mile days in mine with no issues, but my driver seat is very broken in and I'm a fairly trim guy.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
If I ever get an RS it would immediately need a new suspension, the stock one is intolerable on lovely northeast roads.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Considering the trick suspension in them is a big part of the cost over something like an ST, I'm not sure an RS is for you, then.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KillHour posted:

Considering the trick suspension in them is a big part of the cost over something like an ST, I'm not sure an RS is for you, then.
IMO the RS is more about the AWD system and to a lesser extent the motor. I think it's been pretty widely agreed upon by auto journalists and individual owners that the RS stock suspension is harsh as gently caress.

One of those journalists who also was an owner at the time seems really happy with this system, but it is also $3400 in parts alone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWrXM4yBpnE

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

wolrah posted:

IMO the RS is more about the AWD system and to a lesser extent the motor. I think it's been pretty widely agreed upon by auto journalists and individual owners that the RS stock suspension is harsh as gently caress.

One of those journalists who also was an owner at the time seems really happy with this system, but it is also $3400 in parts alone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWrXM4yBpnE

I have one, and yeah it's way too stiff to be in it for more than an hour and it's brutal on bad streets. But after you spend $5-10k replacing the suspension, you now have a $50k Focus that's slower than it was before you started and still not very comfortable. I just don't see the point.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

KillHour posted:

I have one, and yeah it's way too stiff to be in it for more than an hour and it's brutal on bad streets. But after you spend $5-10k replacing the suspension, you now have a $50k Focus that's slower than it was before you started and still not very comfortable. I just don't see the point.

This is where I'm at now. I live in Detroit, so our roads are miserable. I'm seriously considering trading it in for a specced up GTI this summer.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I feel like the RS was designed to be a super cool used track car when it hits $20K or whatever price point. My friend with one got smaller wheels and more sidewall which apparently helps a ton if you're actually driving it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

xsf421 posted:

This is where I'm at now. I live in Detroit, so our roads are miserable. I'm seriously considering trading it in for a specced up GTI this summer.

Spend that money on leaving Detroit

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

BraveUlysses posted:

eh i dunno i think the cobb looks pretty appealing...something doesnt sit right with me about black box tuners like JB

however i'm absolutely sure i'm going to pick up a set of whiteline aluminum LCAs when theres another ebay coupon available. just under half the price of the superpro version.

George who runs Burger Motorsports provides tremendous amounts of free support for his JB1/4 product. If you buy new he'll even help you set up a custom map through emails. You'll just need to go back and forth a couple of times as he'll want you to run logs and send them back to him. Again, would recommend the JB4 if you are concerned about your warranty at all. If not, grab a COBB AP and go protune.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Pryor on Fire posted:

My friend with one got smaller wheels and more sidewall which apparently helps a ton if you're actually driving it.
This seems to be a common theme in hot hatches, too much wheel and not enough sidewall for all but the most perfect roads. Generally the correct answer is to run either the smallest wheel you can fit around your brakes or possibly one size larger, and add sidewall to make up for the difference in diameter.

Next time it comes time for summer tires on the Fiesta I'm getting a set of 16" wheels for exactly this reason. The 17s just don't leave enough rubber. 15s like I run for winter would be too sloppy, but it seems from the forums that 16s are a nice balance.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 22, 2019

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Actually Detroit will make you some serious ROI if you got in when it was an absolute dumpster fire

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BraveUlysses posted:

detroit is a good value

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KillHour posted:

The Golf R seems better from a daily driver perspective, for sure.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
hot hatches - lap times, good daily driver, hoon mobile
pick two

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i will take the last 2 please.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

wolrah posted:

This seems to be a common theme in hot hatches, too much wheel and not enough sidewall for all but the most perfect roads. Generally the correct answer is to run either the smallest wheel you can fit around your brakes or possibly one size larger, and add sidewall to make up for the difference in diameter.

Next time it comes time for summer tires on the Fiesta I'm getting a set of 16" wheels for exactly this reason. The 17s just don't leave enough rubber. 15s like I run for winter would be too sloppy, but it seems from the forums that 16s are a nice balance.

Seconding this, I ate a pothole in the CTR bad enough to destroy the tire, damage the wheel, and mess up something else that now makes it impossible to get aligned properly. The rubber bands they put around the dubs on that thing are unsuitable for US roads.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

sneakyfrog posted:

i will take the last 2 please.

Partycar supremacy :whatup:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Midjack posted:

Seconding this, I ate a pothole in the CTR bad enough to destroy the tire, damage the wheel, and mess up something else that now makes it impossible to get aligned properly. The rubber bands they put around the dubs on that thing are unsuitable for US roads.

I also live in Detroit and owning anything larger than an 18" wheel with low profile tires is just tempting fate imo. First thing I would do if I bought a RS/CTR/etc would be swapping to 18's.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

hot hatches - lap times, good daily driver, hoon mobile
pick two

Having picked lap times, and hoon mobile, with the Focus RS. I would absolutely change that to the last two. Tracking new cars is pretty dumb, expensive af, and generally not worth it IMO.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KidDynamite posted:

Tracking new cars is pretty dumb, expensive af, and generally not worth it IMO.
you don't realize you're gonna be dropping basically $1k a day until you're already nuts deep, certainly looks affordable from the outside though

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
CONSTANTLY having to re-set the one-touch on my driver's window on my GTI.

How can I fix this, it's driving me insane. I tried lubing the track with silicone, no difference. The problem seemed to improve after I put in a new battery but it's gotten way worse lately. I got one roll-down yesterday before it forgot the adaptation.

There's a code for window regulator in the odb2 but the motor and everything works totally fine, sounds fine. It kinda seems like some sort of safety sensor might be a little too touchy or something and a parameter needs tweaked.

mrtrunks84
Oct 5, 2004

The train in my head just missed it's stop

revmoo posted:

CONSTANTLY having to re-set the one-touch on my driver's window on my GTI.

I have the same problem with my R (2016). It seems no combination of resets and relearns through VAGCOM will fix it either. I personally think it is a problem with the microswitch and a calibration of the voltage running through it triggering a safety like you mentioned.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah I'm well convinced it's some sort of sensor issue because the window works 100% fine, just forgets the one-touch all the time.

I'd be willing to pay to replace parts if it'll fix it, I just am at a loss as to the root cause.

It's really annoying since I can't make use of the remote control window roll feature or the rain sensing auto roll-up.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!
My gf (:siren: etc) joined the GTI club this weekend:

1L 3-cyl, 113bhp, weighs just under a tonne, 0-60 in 8.8s (VW tell me); it's a blast :)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
those wheels remind me of the ones they sold on mk2's

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
What

is that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006