Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I just had a weird loving idea for an RPG and I'm wondering if there are any RPGs out there that implement this idea.

The idea is as follows: You start the RPG as normal, character creation, all that jazz, and then play normally up to a dramatic confrontation with a boss. Except when the cinematic camera finishes the boss intro, you take control of the boss instead of going back to your character. And if you kill your original character, you can loot them and continue on as the 'boss' character. If you lose, you continue on as your original character instead.

Basically, an extremely non standard 'game over'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

OFF does something like that.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I have trouble thinking of how a story-driven RPG, where both protagonist and villain are anchored in the setting, could make that work. It'd be a ton of work to write two parallel storylines branching right from the start. But I could see a game where, like, there's a world-famous dungeon that hundreds of adventurers are trying to plunder, and in-between the monsters you'd get into fights with other adventurers. Kiiiind of like Seventh Saga but with character switching.

There is Soul Nomad and the World Eaters. In that game, the protagonist uses a sword that's the prison for a powerful demon. Once you've beaten the game, you get the option to do an alternate storyline which is basically "what if the protagonist actually took up the demon on its offer for unlimited power?" It gets a little grim.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

In Saga Frontier the Blue campaign ends like that, kinda, except it doesn't swap your perspective until you lose, you just continue as the winner either way.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think that may have been the ending of Dragon's Dogma.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

i genuinely can't remember much about the ending of dragon's dogma other than the reveal of my beloved innkeeper being kidnapped

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The ending was very weird.

You get a couple possible forks, either becoming king or becoming the dragon or going down an infinite dungeon to confront god who is also your character and upon beating him you become god, infinitely surveying over all creation unless you stab yourself with a magical dagger to descend and become mortal once more (or your pawn becomes you and descends in your form?) and begin the new game plus.

My favorite part about Dragon's Dogma is the character creation, where you get to edit your character's body type, like height, weight, and muscle tone and it has an actual impact on your in-game stats. It was amazing, but you could only do it twice per-game because of one of many of the game's weird design decisions, only 1 character and 1 pawn per online user identity. Has there been a game since then that did a character creation like that? Because I would play something like that in a heartbeat.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I have an itch for space 4x games, I've given Stellaris a second chance recently because I did buy it a long time ago and heard it was now actually good (lol Paradox), but so far the gameplay leaves me cold.

Any good recommendation on this genre? I've played some of the classics, like MoO and Space Empire, I don't really care about graphics, I prefer turn-based to real-time though.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Angry Lobster posted:

I have an itch for space 4x games, I've given Stellaris a second chance recently because I did buy it a long time ago and heard it was now actually good (lol Paradox), but so far the gameplay leaves me cold.

Any good recommendation on this genre? I've played some of the classics, like MoO and Space Empire, I don't really care about graphics, I prefer turn-based to real-time though.

Endless Space 2 is turn based and pretty good, though the most recent DLC was divisive at best. Its big selling point is asymmetric factions, so your feeling on that will tell you if you should try it or not.

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

Distant Worlds is great, it's quite pricey though.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/261470/Distant_Worlds_Universe/

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

This game is great, it's the only 4X to date that has allowed me to fulfill my fantasy of being the proprietor of a fleet of pleasure barges

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Ben Nerevarine posted:

This game is great, it's the only 4X to date that has allowed me to fulfill my fantasy of being the proprietor of a fleet of pleasure barges

... what? this is a game mechanic?

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Gravy Jones posted:

My kid really likes JRPGish kind of games where you fight alongside (or they fight for you) some kind of collectible, levelling up support character. His favourites are the newer Digimon titles, World of Final Fantasy and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. He doesn't mind Pokemon, but prefers the more over the top anime style characters (particularly those in Digimon and Xenoblade) and especially ones with impressive special attacks or combos. He really wants to play Persona 5, but is a little young for the story content.

Are there any similar titles I'm missing that he might like? It doesn't have to be Japanese, but he does like mechs, swords and shoulder-mounted missiles and he probably prefers the mechanical + fantasy of the titles mentioned rather than straight up fantasy or science fiction. He'd also prefer turn based or ATB to strictly real time combat. DS, Switch, PS4 or low-spec PC.

The Yo-kai Watch and Dragon Quest Monsters games may be worth a look - both are about becoming freinds with/taming monsters and fighting things with them. They're also quite child freindly IIRC.

Also the original Ni No Kuni has monster collecting, battling and is generally awesome if you can get over the dumb teammate AI.

e: you've probably thought of this already since you mentioned Persona, but just in case you havn't then keep well clear of the Shin Megami Tensei series. Most games in it are fantastic but they deal with heavy themes and handle them in ways that makes the Persona games look subtle. Maybe keep them in mind when he gets older, assuming his tastes don't change.

a glitch fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 1, 2019

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
The Golden Sun series should be right up their alley.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

double nine posted:

... what? this is a game mechanic?

Your civilian economy can make big money on tourism, especially if you’ve built resort stations near spectacular galactic sights like black holes or nebulas. Cruise ships there and back can be profitable.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I'd like to make an anti-recommendation for the Golden Sun series. The plot is really bad, the cutscenes are annoying (why does everyone have to WOBBLE so much?!), and the battle system and puzzles don't really make up for it.
Also I don't think the djinn level up anyway?

Better would be Lufia 2. Capsule Monsters!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing your kid's too young for a rogue-like right now, but maybe later give Azure Dreams a try? It's a Mystery Dungeon game where you bring along monsters you raise to do the main fighting while you support.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Sinteres posted:

Endless Space 2 is turn based and pretty good, though the most recent DLC was divisive at best. Its big selling point is asymmetric factions, so your feeling on that will tell you if you should try it or not.

Sounds good, any nust-have DLCs? It has a lot of things in the store.

Distant Worlds I'll pass, I watched a LP some years ago and, while it seems good, it's not my cup of tea.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Angry Lobster posted:

Sounds good, any nust-have DLCs? It has a lot of things in the store.

Just try it without and see if it's your thing, then worry about DLC if that doesn't feel like enough/you're interested in the other factions imo.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Are there any games along the lines of Anno / Caesar / Pharoah / etc., but where you're building and managing a small village and it never scales up beyond that?

I've played a shitload of Dwarf Fortress and it would in fact be a valid response if I hadn't already played so much, so don't worry if whatever you're going to suggest is old or clunky or impenetrable.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

what do you mean by "scale up"? There's startopia, where in sandbox mode you can unlock more area to build in, but that's the equivalent of settling an extra island in Anno.

double nine fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 1, 2019

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Are there any games along the lines of Anno / Caesar / Pharoah / etc., but where you're building and managing a small village and it never scales up beyond that?

I've played a shitload of Dwarf Fortress and it would in fact be a valid response if I hadn't already played so much, so don't worry if whatever you're going to suggest is old or clunky or impenetrable.

Banished?

If you want more DF vibes then Rimworld

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Banished for sure, though also keep an eye on Foundation.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ambaire posted:

I just had a weird loving idea for an RPG and I'm wondering if there are any RPGs out there that implement this idea.

The idea is as follows: You start the RPG as normal, character creation, all that jazz, and then play normally up to a dramatic confrontation with a boss. Except when the cinematic camera finishes the boss intro, you take control of the boss instead of going back to your character. And if you kill your original character, you can loot them and continue on as the 'boss' character. If you lose, you continue on as your original character instead.

Basically, an extremely non standard 'game over'.

Tenra Bansho Zero

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Banished for sure, though also keep an eye on Foundation.

Banished is exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for and might otherwise have overlooked, thanks guys.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Frostpunk, maybe? A little bigger than just a town. Or if you want a warmer but more chill version of Frostpunk, there's Tropico, but it's also a fair amount bigger than a town, especially with the direction Tropico 6 is going. There's also Startopia, which is a smaller scale, but it's not exactly a town.

There's also a slew of space colonization games out there, but I've never played any of them. A whole lot depends on what you're looking for or what you don't like specifically. Rimworld I think is supposed to be inspired by Dwarf Fortress, and there's also Oxygen Not Included and Surviving Mars.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Frostpunk, maybe? A little bigger than just a town. Or if you want a warmer but more chill version of Frostpunk, there's Tropico, but it's also a fair amount bigger than a town, especially with the direction Tropico 6 is going. There's also Startopia, which is a smaller scale, but it's not exactly a town.

There's also a slew of space colonization games out there, but I've never played any of them. A whole lot depends on what you're looking for or what you don't like specifically. Rimworld I think is supposed to be inspired by Dwarf Fortress, and there's also Oxygen Not Included and Surviving Mars.

Tropico is absolutely too big. I'm looking for something that emulates being, like, a petty lord or local administrator in some war-torn feudal country. Frostpunk might work, the tone and the gameplay definitely seem about right even if the sci-fi aesthetic isn't exactly what I was looking for.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Tropico is absolutely too big. I'm looking for something that emulates being, like, a petty lord or local administrator in some war-torn feudal country. Frostpunk might work, the tone and the gameplay definitely seem about right even if the sci-fi aesthetic isn't exactly what I was looking for.

Rimworld. It even has that Dwarf Fortress feel, just a smaller population.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Rimworld with mods(Like the Medieval times one) makes for a really neat feudal lord feel

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

McFrugal posted:

I'd like to make an anti-recommendation for the Golden Sun series. The plot is really bad, the cutscenes are annoying (why does everyone have to WOBBLE so much?!), and the battle system and puzzles don't really make up for it.
Also I don't think the djinn level up anyway?

Better would be Lufia 2. Capsule Monsters!

You are correct, djinn don’t level up but the summons you can make from combining them change as you collect more.

For sure, all those criticisms are valid but I played the game in middle school and wasn’t put off by them at the time.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Troipco 3 felt pretty local to me back when I played it in high school, not 100% if I would feel that way now.

Factory Town is kinda close. It’s billed as “Factorio + Banished.”

I’ve got Gnomoria, but stopped quickly when I realized I didn’t want to mess up the control scheme with DFs in my head. Still, that might be worth a gander.

I might think of others once I’m at my computer. If so, I’ll let you know.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
What is there in the Borderlands-like space these days? That is, first-person shooter/loot-em-up with a solid campaign? Co-op / online multiplayer are entirely optional. Would prefer something that I buy once (plus DLC if it's good) instead of a freemium.

EDIT: it's worth noting that I have no modern consoles.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 2, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I think it's basically just Division 2, Destiny 2, and some flavor of Borderlands.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I guess there's Ghost Recon Wildlands? haven't played it and it's third person but seems to be a good time with buds

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Dawn of Man is like Banished 2019. It's fairly new so they are still patching/updating it. Done by the Planetbase people, another game you may want to look at.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I guess there's Ghost Recon Wildlands? haven't played it and it's third person but seems to be a good time with buds

Wildlands is fun, but it isn't at all loot-based and the RPG elements are extremely thin.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What's a good game on steam in the vein of Stardew Valley or Forager, a casual, relaxing single-player game like those? I really enjoy Stardew in particular but I'm not really sure of many other games that really nail it like that one does. Harvest Moon seems like something stardew valley improved on in ways I prefer and the one I'm seeing on steam kinda looks like garbage.

I've got a bunch of games on my profile already, if it's at like 10 hours or less there's a good chance I never actually played it and it just got idled for cards, so if there's a recommendation I already own that'd fit the bill so much the better

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Captain Invictus posted:

What's a good game on steam in the vein of Stardew Valley or Forager, a casual, relaxing single-player game like those? I really enjoy Stardew in particular but I'm not really sure of many other games that really nail it like that one does. Harvest Moon seems like something stardew valley improved on in ways I prefer and the one I'm seeing on steam kinda looks like garbage.

I've got a bunch of games on my profile already, if it's at like 10 hours or less there's a good chance I never actually played it and it just got idled for cards, so if there's a recommendation I already own that'd fit the bill so much the better

My Time at Portia is pretty good and relaxing.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What is there in the Borderlands-like space these days? That is, first-person shooter/loot-em-up with a solid campaign? Co-op / online multiplayer are entirely optional. Would prefer something that I buy once (plus DLC if it's good) instead of a freemium.

EDIT: it's worth noting that I have no modern consoles.

Its not what you want at all, But Warframe is a really good game where the story (when you get to it) is actually pretty good and and the looting is solid. It is free to play. But other than a few speed up the grind/wait buttons all real money is used for cosmetics and you could drop 30 into that game and have enough money to carry you forever. There is no loot boxes as well. And it will run on a toaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Are there any modern games or gamelike things that are heavy on evolutionary a-life stuff? I want weird emergent monsters banging each other in fast forwarded ecologies.