Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
If they somehow control for g-code posted out of their Slic3r fork or PrusaControl, it might still be doable.

But yeah, gently caress downloading gcode files. It would literally take less time to slice on your own PC than to download the resulting code off the internet (especially for rural users).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I don't disagree with you all on any particular point or points, but I do see how, with the benefit of a closed ecosystem, this allows separating "owning a 3d printer and making thingies" from "knowing basic CAD and/or slicer operation" for pretty much the first time on any kind of scale.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

How important is the thermal tape on the hot end of my ender 3. It's starting to peel off. I ordered a silicon sock to replace it, but can I still use it in the meantime?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Beast Pussy posted:

How important is the thermal tape on the hot end of my ender 3. It's starting to peel off. I ordered a silicon sock to replace it, but can I still use it in the meantime?

It should be fine. Silicone sock > kapton + cotton every time. As long as the existing bits aren't interfering with prints, it'll be fine.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Beast Pussy posted:

You might get false thermal runaway errors.

I don't know if the ender 3 has thermal runaway protection enabled, but if it's set aggressively, airflow from the fans can move directly across the heatblock causing it to take longer to heat up than expected, tripping the error.

It happened to me once after a silicone sock went bad on a printer and fell off. I wouldn't expect it on yours simply because tape would be a much worse insulator that it probably could never be set so aggressively.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

foosel posted:

Printing user contributed GCODE downloaded from the internet must be the 3d printing equivalent of "curl http://example.com/some_script.sh | sudo bash".

there was some quote in yospos years back that went like

"the year is 2029. you download some dank weed to print on your 3d printer. but the man hacked you. when the printer is done a cop comes out instead. youre under arrest. game over"

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Aurium posted:

You might get false thermal runaway errors.

I don't know if the ender 3 has thermal runaway protection enabled,

It does not with the stock firmware.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

The Eyes Have It posted:

I don't disagree with you all on any particular point or points, but I do see how, with the benefit of a closed ecosystem, this allows separating "owning a 3d printer and making thingies" from "knowing basic CAD and/or slicer operation" for pretty much the first time on any kind of scale.

Is this relevant in any way though

Just make the slicer capable of exporting/importing settings and offer the settings file together with the model and an instruction to press butan.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

suck my woke dick posted:

Is this relevant in any way though

Just make the slicer capable of exporting/importing settings and offer the settings file together with the model and an instruction to press butan.

It already supports this, so yeah, not sure why the gcode was needed

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*

The Eyes Have It posted:

I was having a devil of a time with some STL files that wouldn't cooperate, and repair tools only got me so far. I'd repair it successfully in one tool only to have it muck up elsewhere, you know the drill. Ugh I went on so many wild goose chases.

I sprang for Netfabb paid and hoo nelly the paid tool really sings. The only problem is it's a monthly subscription and I can't justify it for only very occasional use.

Maybe I'll open a fiverr account for a repairing lovely models service and see if it can at least pay for itself :shrug: e: that's probably against the EULA :notfunny:

A bit late, but I have to point out an oft-overlooked tool in win10 - 3D Builder. I don't know what magic it uses, but it's got a really good repair system built in, and it's also the only 3D tool I've found that can do arbitrary boolean operations on STL files without remeshing them. I often use it to add / resize holes in models.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

TwystNeko posted:

the only 3D tool I've found that can do arbitrary boolean operations on STL files without remeshing them. I often use it to add / resize holes in models.

I keep forgetting this is on my computer. I generally use OpenSCAD to do minor stuff like that.
If I have to make major geometry changes to an stl, it's usually easier to manually rebuild the loving part from 0 rather than use fusion 360's meshing functions, which I am not convinced actually work at all

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cephalopods posted:

If I have to make major geometry changes to an stl, it's usually easier to manually rebuild the loving part from 0 rather than use fusion 360's meshing functions, which I am not convinced actually work at all

Glad it's not just me.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
Yeah nah there are literally no good automated methods of converting STLs into surface models. Rhino has some really good tools to help you rebuild the design using the STL as a reference, though.

Also, while it's totally possible to edit polygon meshes by hand (that is how nearly all video game models are made, for instance), meshes constructed automatically are absolutely not suited for that, so reconstruction is still the best idea.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
One of my long-term goals is to print out several of the R-Type Final ships. A friend of mine made a model viewer that exports to .OBJ format. Problem is so many of the parts are one-sided, or have zero thickness, so I am gonna have to rebuild a lot of bits.

This is the only one I ever got printing nicely:

http://imgur.com/gallery/PPA7cRa

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Some loving around, but finally printed something.

For reference, my pile of poo poo electronics and the Aria for scale.

I need to figure out how to make the build plate less wobbly & make the knockoff sensor probe trigger reliably, but so far it's ok!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
if that's accidental it is a hilarious amount of layer shifting to still come out pretty well formed

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Yeah, I'm not a fan of how the Y-axis "wheels" attach to the frame, or the bed assembly to those "wheels".

The slightest pressure tilts the whole build plate (adjusting the leveling screws tilts the entire thing).

Once I figure out how to lock the build plate down is should be golden, though (you'll notice the shifting gets worse the taller it gets).

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of how the Y-axis "wheels" attach to the frame, or the bed assembly to those "wheels".

The slightest pressure tilts the whole build plate (adjusting the leveling screws tilts the entire thing).

Once I figure out how to lock the build plate down is should be golden, though (you'll notice the shifting gets worse the taller it gets).

If its anything like the ender 3, theres an eccentric nut in there that adjusts the wheels to prevent wobbling.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Got an Ender 3 last week - spent about a week printing tiny rats to dial in the settings, interspersed with printer upgrades . Extremely happy with my results:

I've definitely had some minor issues, mostly with quality control on the parts. (Stripped threads on a bed leveling knob, off center electronics box cover that overlapped where one of the extrusions should connect) but for the price I certainly can't complain. Hella fun.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Goddamn those are some amazing prints!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Great Beer posted:

If its anything like the ender 3, theres an eccentric nut in there that adjusts the wheels to prevent wobbling.

I'll try to remember to take some pics, but I didn't see any obvious adjustment (rigid cast/molded plastic parts hold that huge bed on the rails).

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I'll try to remember to take some pics, but I didn't see any obvious adjustment (rigid cast/molded plastic parts hold that huge bed on the rails).
If it's like my Shapeoko 2's eccentric nuts they look pretty much like normal nuts from the outside. You might have to pop them out one at a time to locate them.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Giant Isopod posted:

Got an Ender 3 last week - spent about a week printing tiny rats to dial in the settings, interspersed with printer upgrades . Extremely happy with my results:

I've definitely had some minor issues, mostly with quality control on the parts. (Stripped threads on a bed leveling knob, off center electronics box cover that overlapped where one of the extrusions should connect) but for the price I certainly can't complain. Hella fun.

Yeah that looks amazing. Those results are beautiful.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Giant Isopod posted:

What settings are you using for these? I've got an ender 3 too and wouldn't mind comparing. I've gotten some nice prints as well, but my printer is in the middle of a batch of upgrades so it's temporarily out of comission.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Ugh, I'd love to know the reasoning behind Cura seemingly randomly tossing out cooling fan values throughout gcode. Like if there was a setting that said increase fan speed on shorter layers, sure! But I don't see one like that. I just get fan values set within half percentage changes every few layers.

I was hoping to do a cooling tower test, and just set a new fan value every 40 layers. But now I have to go remove all the other ones it put in first.

Nevermind, found the setting, Regular/maximum fan speed threshold.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 30, 2019

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

armorer posted:

What settings are you using for these? I've got an ender 3 too and wouldn't mind comparing. I've gotten some nice prints as well, but my printer is in the middle of a batch of upgrades so it's temporarily out of comission.

Here's my reference rats: (click for big)

Draft, Fine, and Extra Fine are the default Cura profiles for 0.2mm, 0.1mm, and 0.06mm respectively, with the last one being Extra Fine manually changed to 0.08 (Since I had read that the Ender3 operated based at multiples of 0.04)
SiePie is a settings file posted here
And FDG is the Fat Dragon Games profile here modified to have a lower extruder temp, bed temp, and 95% flow. (Edit: that 1.0 should say 0.1)

The door here:

Was printed at either Fine or Normal, I can't remember which honestly, but it was one of the cura defaults

And the Rogue here:

Which I think is by far the best print I've done - was the basic FDG profile at 0.1mm, but angled back 45 degrees or so such that no support structures touched his face or front body

Giant Isopod fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 30, 2019

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Awesome, thanks! I've played around with the SiePie settings already, but not the FDG ones. I just got my printer assembled again this evening and printing, but mostly so I can print a few brackets to further upgrade it.

I'll get to printing some minis in maybe another week at the rate I'm going.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

That Rogue might be the best print I've seen off of one of these cheap printers.

(not that I'm an expert always looking at millions of different prints)

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Couple more prints:
A snake, printed in two pieces to reduce supports

My girlfriend made an 18 Str wizard for a D&D campaign and we were having trouble finding an appropriate mini so I made one with a monk model as a starting point:

This was printed before the rogue and I used the default supports, which was a mistake as it left a lot of garbage on his skirt area

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Giant Isopod posted:

My girlfriend made an 18 Str wizard for a D&D campaign and we were having trouble finding an appropriate mini so I made one with a monk model as a starting point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_gObHt1uZA

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I printed this guy with the SiePie settings a week or so ago. I should try angling him back 45°, there were a bunch of supports under his legs amd arms that were hard to cleanly remove. I still need to do a bunch more calibration as well.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

The 3D printer megathread: it left a lot of garbage in his skirt area.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
For the last few years I’ve had my Wanhao i3 basically tuned “good enough” for my quick functional needs where I design in tolerances and chamfers as needed for my specific printer.

Now I’ve decided to build a Voron2.1 and I’ve suddenly got to figure out how to print ABS and get my printer closer to production quality.

I feel like a dumb noob again.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Thermopyle posted:

That Rogue might be the best print I've seen off of one of these cheap printers.

(not that I'm an expert always looking at millions of different prints)

I haven't been keeping up with FDM printers at all, but that rogue looks like it's on the heels of my B9 Core, which is pretty amazing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

eddiewalker posted:

Now I’ve decided to build a Voron2.1 and I’ve suddenly got to figure out how to print ABS and get my printer closer to production quality.
Large plastic bag over the printer as ghetto enclosure, and go for ESun ABS+. It's spec and it barely warps. And make sure your extrusion multiplier is spot on. If your extruder e-steps are calibrated, 0.9x seems typical for slic3r PE and ABS+.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Apparently at some point a long time ago I reset my S3D profile but forgot that I run a .6 nozzle instead of .4

Kind of impressed at how well my prints have been turning out despite that, but annoyed that I spent 2 days trying to diagnose that massive elephant foot.

ABS+ has been very easy compared to the random eBay ABS I tried years ago.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Are there any good low-odor ABS options out there? I was planning to avoid it in favor or PETG or nylon, mostly on account of the smell.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Did my first TPU print and it was

Not nearly as bad as I was expecting!

https://twitter.com/rottentunagames/status/1123385506031599616?s=21

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005
fprintf(stderr, "this should never print\n");

Sockser posted:

Did my first TPU print and it was

Not nearly as bad as I was expecting!

cool! what filament is that & where did you get it? any trick slicer settings (prusa i3mk3s, right)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

armorer posted:

Are there any good low-odor ABS options out there? I was planning to avoid it in favor or PETG or nylon, mostly on account of the smell.

I run exclusively eSun ABS+, and it's low odor and low warp. It gets my vote, $20/kg on Amazon.