Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Usopp is like the definition of an unspecial person but Luffy inspires those around him to become special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I don't think Luffy is taking this super utilitarian approach to picking out crewmates. They're just people he likes.

There's literally a running gag where Luffy asks random people to join his crew immediately after meeting them. He's not sizing up their combat potential, he's just a friendly guy. It's easy to go from "Luffy isn't a dumb as he seems" to "Luffy is secretly a super genius and his every move is perfectly calculated" but he's honestly just an easygoing idiot most of the time.

Also I doubt that he knows that Ussop and Yassop are related now, much less back when he first met the former.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Begemot posted:

Also I doubt that he knows that Ussop and Yassop are related now, much less back when he first met the former.
Didn't he find it out in the very arc he met Usopp?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Luffy guessed that Ussop and Yassop were related almost immediately

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

U-DO Burger posted:

Luffy guessed that Ussop and Yassop were related almost immediately
This is why this whole conversation confuses me.

Luffy saw the similarities right off the bat and he is complex in his simplicity. He grew up idolizing the Red Hair Pirates, of freaking course he's going to jump at the chance to have one of their sons join his crew. This is like Luffy 101

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Usopp was strangely good at taking a beating even before he got stronger, though that could just be a One Piece trait in general. If strength isn't genetic in One Piece, then potential is, at least. That does make me wonder if Ace could hear the poneglyphs like Roger could. Seems likely if Whitebeard was grooming him to be the next pirate king.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
People in One Piece are loving resilient in general.

EDIT: Also I don't think Whitebeard was grooming Ace to be Pirate King. That's just something Akainu said to rattle Squardo and push him into confronting Whitebeard, is what I believe.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

People in One Piece are loving resilient in general.

EDIT: Also I don't think Whitebeard was grooming Ace to be Pirate King. That's just something Akainu said to rattle Squardo and push him into confronting Whitebeard, is what I believe.

Sengoku said it

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kild posted:

Sengoku said it

gently caress, my One Piece memory has failed me.

I'm going on a training arc to reread the manga again so I can be strong enough to remember every little bit, even all the SBS stuff.

See you guys in 2 years.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
can a kumod send everyone away to where they'll improve their skills? ill watch over the thread because im the most beautiful....

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Luffy and Brook drank some milk and their teeth grew back. One Piece characters are Cartoon Resilient.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
That's just science, man.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm back from my 2-day training arc timeskip.

Shounen Jump is on break this week for Golden Week, yeah?

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Yes, new chapters will hit May 12'th.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Green Intern posted:

Luffy and Brook drank some milk and their teeth grew back. One Piece characters are Cartoon Resilient.

To be fair, everyone else was mad about it because it doesn't make any sense.

Which is why it doesn't work for everyone else.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
When Gangster Gastino coming back, criminally underused character

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Real Cool Catfish posted:

When Gangster Gastino coming back, criminally underused character

Our hero will return. In a cover arc.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Came up before, but Robin's ability to actually read the Ponegliffs really does make more probably the most indispensable member of the crew to the goal of becoming Pirate King- and it seems strongly implied that she's probably the only person left in the world who can actually read them. Gold Roger apparently had an ability that let him read and even write the language but he didn't actually understand it on his own accord, and Big Mom made an effort to breed a daughter who has even the potential chance at being able to do so through a mystic third eye power- everyone else who even has a chance at making use of the Ponegliffs has to take short-cuts except for Robin.

Though does bring up whether Whitebeard has some sort of means on hand, given he's considered to have been the man who could be the next Pirate King if he chose to, but seemed to be grooming Ace for it instead. (Would imagine that he'd rather the title be passed on to a young man rather than another dying old man, and that he had a soft spot for ol' Roger and maybe wanted to give Ace something positive about his heritage) Big Mom seems to be the only Emperor (original ones anyway, besides Blackbeard) seriously looking at becoming the Pirate King to the point of setting plans in motion to do so, while Shanks seems to be comfortable in his position and Kaido is more interested in building up for what seems to be the One Piece world's own World War.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

derra posted:

What is going on here.

Luffy invited Usopp because they were friends, and what sort of sorry rear end Pirate King are you if you can't bring your friends along on your journey.

Tell that to Going Merry.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

LostRook posted:

Tell that to Going Merry.

Actually also worth bringing up that Usopp brought a ship with him. (and makes sense that it was Usopp who was the most broken up about the Merry being a write-off)

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Wasn't Franky's role originally supposed to be the little fairy dude that was repairing the Going Merry in Skypedia?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Actually also worth bringing up that Usopp brought a ship with him. (and makes sense that it was Usopp who was the most broken up about the Merry being a write-off)

No, Kaya gave it to Luffy, Zoro, and Nami. They just also told Usopp he could come along at about the same time. Usopp was about to set out on a small boat and Kaya didn't even know he was leaving.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gyges posted:

No, Kaya gave it to Luffy, Zoro, and Nami. They just also told Usopp he could come along at about the same time. Usopp was about to set out on a small boat and Kaya didn't even know he was leaving.

Oh right, I forgot about that.

Interesting that it kinda demonstrates how Usopp is one of the more independent Straw Hats from the word go, and he's explicitly out for personal glory as his primary goal. Zoro and Nami are personally loyal to Luffy and probably wouldn't even be pirates otherwise, but Usopp has wanted to be a pirate on his own accord from the start.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
soon

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the first one piece of the reiwa era......

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
u dont know what u have til its gone

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
lets cherish each and every chapter from now on.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

is that carrot

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It's a character from Zootopia.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
carrot is the reason that im cursed with this though

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
i had no idea what zootopia was until i saw that abortion comic on twitter and i hate myself

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

carrot is the reason that im cursed with this though

i guess every angel, can be a devil...

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Man I hope that chapter drops soon, I'm gettin the shakes

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

drjuggalo posted:

i had no idea what zootopia was until i saw that abortion comic on twitter and i hate myself

It's just what happened when someone wished that Bright was a good movie, and also predated Bright, but they made that wish on a monkey's paw so now the world has to live with furry fanart of it

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I'm really fuckin excited for the chap

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Good News Everyone!

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/one-piece-2/en/0/942/page/1

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That's not what I expected!

And that wasn't what I expected either!

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

That wasn't good news at all 😭😂😭😂😭😂

What a horrific revelation. I guess now we know where Caesar got SAD from now...

Edit: Also, the SADdest news of all... another break next week.

jassa fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 10, 2019

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I guess there was a reason for that name...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

does the silhouetted guy look like the green bull silhouette we’ve seen?