Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

Fayk posted:

EDIT: Does the bow still feel like UTTER poo poo? That's actually one of my biggest legit issues with the forest (Which as I said, I otherwise like). I've literally never played another game in survival-early-access-land that had such a crappy bow 'feel'.

It doesn't feel amazing to aim/shoot but I don't think it's absolute garbage, either. Then again, I didn't play it way back when it was first available.

I've actually found that the bow with flaming arrows is likely the most overpowered weapon in the game if you use it right: The light from the burning arrow never seems to go out on its own, and it also doesn't seem to alert enemies as much as other light sources (if at all?). Also, when combined with a boat, you can sit in the middle of a river/lake and farm bones from the cannibals (or other... things). It's also great for killing mutants in the caves, because there's almost always a ledge or crevice they can't squeeze into.

Also, there are a select few places where you can put a camp that seems to have no cannibal patrols whatsoever, including one that's on a large chunk of land, up against a cliff, that's right behind what seems to be an abandoned cannibal camp. I believe it's in the middle-eastern side of the map, near where the cockpit used to sit in previous versions, and across from the abandoned Mormon camp cave entrance. I can't be the only one that knows where I'm talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The bow does decent damage, and all headshots WILL kill cannibals. The starting twig bow you get isn't so hot, though, compared to a thrown spear or the late-game Modern Bow. I do wish there was a reticle, but instead you're expected to practice with a bullseye to figure our where to shoot.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

Speedball posted:

The bow does decent damage, and all headshots WILL kill cannibals. The starting twig bow you get isn't so hot, though, compared to a thrown spear or the late-game Modern Bow. I do wish there was a reticle, but instead you're expected to practice with a bullseye to figure our where to shoot.

I haven't tried the modern bow yet, but I know the starter bow has a little extra bit poking off the front that kind of helps aim, too.

Kind of.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I play The Forest on peaceful mode. It becomes more like Myst with survival mechanics.

Anyone have any success building treehouses?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Speedball posted:

Astroneer has changed significantly upon release. It is somewhat less grindy than I thought it would be, though research items have been nerfed in quantity (you can get just as much by just plugging in minerals to your research station though, if you don't mind wasting resources).
Resources seem to get you 100 bytes. Research balls on the starting planet are usually 360 but can be higher.

But research balls on other planets yield multiple thousands of bytes. Not sure if research keeps going if you leave the planet, though.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Resources seem to get you 100 bytes. Research balls on the starting planet are usually 360 but can be higher.

But research balls on other planets yield multiple thousands of bytes. Not sure if research keeps going if you leave the planet, though.

ah, I found out where the REAL research bonanzas are: inside "research assistance pods" which have a minor puzzle like plugging power into them, plugging enough power all at once, or providing a specific resource. They pop open and a researchable object worth 1-several thousand bytes is in there.

Looks like planets also all have these big alien teleporters dotted around them now, including one in the planet core. Now that should be interesting.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

HoboTech posted:

I haven't tried the modern bow yet, but I know the starter bow has a little extra bit poking off the front that kind of helps aim, too. Kind of.
This is true. The modern bow is actually harder to aim than the twig bow because it lacks this easy sight in. If you put the little sub-twig or whatever we want to call it over a cannibal's jaw while he is standing still, chances are very good that that arrow is going in his skull and he is going down. Hard.

This is the core reason why the bow is the real weapon you want to use in The Forest, especially on hard survival where full bone armor really is like 3-4 hits before it's gone. With a little practice you can one hit quit a lot of enemies. It's irrelevant how much damage it does because a headshot is going to cause even the toughest cannibal to go down like a marionette with its strings cut.

It is also true that fire arrows are the single most useful item in the game. Their flame indeed does not go out naturally, and while it is visible to enemies it barely matters because they do enough damage that even on Hard Survival they are among the best things for taking out mutants. This is when everything has 65% resistance to fire on Hard Survival. It's still really good.

Other Forest things:

Strength will not allow you to carry a 3rd log, I actually don't know if this was ever a thing. The only thing it does is increase your melee damage. It's actually extremely noticeable if you grind it up to 99, but even then enemies have enough health and there are enough of them that you just don't want to do it. You want to snipe them with the bow instead.

On Treehouses:

They are fine just so long as you are not seen entering them. The nice thing about treehouses is that enemies basically never look up, so unless you literally light a fire in there or something you can hang out for as long as you want with zero issue. The trouble being, if you are detected and retreat to your treehouse, the enemies only need to knock down the tree to ruin everything you've got going up there. Consequently I never use them, I would much rather just build a Small Cabin on the ground and use the extra logs to build a small handful of Deadfall Traps, which will instantly kill any cannibal dumb enough to trigger it and half-kill any mutant that gets caught in it. 3 of them can kill an awful lot of poo poo with a little sprinting around and some combat resetting of the traps.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
What about the new update to 7 Days to Die?

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Is anybody else still holding out for a successor to NEO Scavenger?

In other survival-related news, it looks like some Japanese modder hacked together a pda mod that lets you digitize books. So between that and running a bunch of tools off an internal power CBM, you can be almost entirely self-sufficient without having to lug a a gigantic death RV everywhere (as fun as that is). It's nice to play that game in a more nomadic way.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

dylguy90 posted:

Is anybody else still holding out for a successor to NEO Scavenger?

Yes. I'd probably settle for a lot less janky version of the original, too. Making that game in Flash is still insane to me, even after all these years :psyduck:

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

It was made by a goon right? God I wish I had the sustained focus to make games. Someday.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Is anybody still playing conan exiles?? I decided to pick it up on sale from steam after the free weekend and I'm enjoying it enough. Just curious if there's a goon presence on a server somewhere

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Pikey posted:

Is anybody still playing conan exiles?? I decided to pick it up on sale from steam after the free weekend and I'm enjoying it enough. Just curious if there's a goon presence on a server somewhere

I'll go back to it again someday, it's solid. That said, I think my days of enjoying anything PvP in that genre are over, since the core design has an achilles heel when it comes to offline raiding. (Offline protection is a fine band-aid, and better than not, but whatever).

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Hey, I couldn't find a good thread to post this in.

I made a little album documenting my sixth town in the game Stonehearth, FELDSPAR.

Feldspar!

It mostly started out as a 'check out what I'm building', but then it culminates in FELDSPAR: ENDGAME, as my Hearthlings struggle to withstand the onslaught of the mad Titan...

Anyway, I had fun, and figured I'd share. Not sure if there's a better thread for this sort of thing.

e: ah, maybe I should have just posted in the chat thread!

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I just tried playing UnReal World again after a long hiatus after I got eaten by a bear the last time. I was trying to re-learn the game again with my new character and lasted 43 days before I got eaten by a bear again. I think this must be the 3rd or 4th character I've lost to a bear so lol.

My previous character from ages back had just finished his nice new log cabin smokehouse after weeks of grueling labor. He was all set to survive his first winter. Then a bear walked right through the front door in the middle of the night and, after a brief struggle, murdered him in his bed. My most recent character got killed after a bear loving lunged out of the woods in front of him in an ambush with no warning. I was walking along a forested riverbank when I heard a roar from the trees. Before I could even react, the bear jumped out of the trees and was only one tile away from me. I was totally unprepared for a fight and tried to run, but was instantly knocked down in one hit. The next hit killed me. This game scares me :ohdear:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ivan Shitskin posted:

Then a bear walked right through the front door in the middle of the night and, after a brief struggle, murdered him in his bed.

That is why I leash my dog(s) to a tree near the door at my homesteads. I also build a fence around my "yard". The dog(s) usually wake you up with their barking if something hazardous approaches and the fence will slow the intruder down enough for you to get out there.

EG: (though these days I'd remove the external door and just climb the fence to get in)

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That is why I leash my dog(s) to a tree near the door at my homesteads. I also build a fence around my "yard". The dog(s) usually wake you up with their barking if something hazardous approaches and the fence will slow the intruder down enough for you to get out there.

EG: (though these days I'd remove the external door and just climb the fence to get in)

I've never had a dog in this game. Is there a certain culture that is more likely to have dogs? I've never seen them before with any of my characters. I've always died before I could find one. The farthest I've ever made it in the game was when I built that tiny smokehouse. I had been hunting and trapping for a while to get furs to trade and I was gonna build up enough smoked meat for a long expedition to the different tribes to try to find some good axes and a dog, but the bear got me before I could do it. On my last character, I visited about a dozen villages or so before the bear got me but I still never saw a dog, just sheep and pigs.

I've never lasted long enough to get decent armor or weapons either, so I could never stand and fight the bears off. I did manage to kill a small bear once, but the other times I've ended up against them I didn't stand a chance. I think I've only had one character so far that wasn't killed by a bear. He got ambushed and sniped by an arrow from some unseen Njerpezit.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I never make a permanent homestead until I'm well established with gear (especially most, if not all, the specialized axes). Usually I start in spring with the goal of starting my homestead in early-mid fall. When I first make a character first order of business is making a few javelins for throwing then I'll just wander around, looking for villages and hunting. I like to start in the southwest corner as that is the most "civilized" region with relatively more settlements and a better selection of equipment. If you're new or just want an easier start its good to pick Kaumo as your tribe, as they're strong, hardy people who start out with good skills and usually you'll start with a good weapon in the form of a solid spear (perhaps even a Kaumo Spear if you're lucky). Don't worry about preserving meat when first starting out, just kill a deer/elk/moose, skin and butcher it and roast as much meat as you can carry. Obviously most of it will spoil before you can eat is, so trade most of it to a village for whatever you want or need. When in doubt, arrows make a great lightweight, modestly valuable "currency" for bartering with.

It sounds like you got unlucky not finding dogs for sale. They're totally worth it though, as they make hunting easy and improve your survival odds in any kind of fight (except maybe at range against a bowman).

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 4, 2019

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I know the Driik have the most stuff so maybe they would be the ones to have dogs? Most of my characters have been Kaumo and my last one started around the Kaumo territory in the east. All the Kaumo villages I went to had a whole lot of nothing though. They didn't even have any axes. I thought it would be an interesting challenge to start out there though, making my way to the west over time as I accumulate furs and stuff to trade with the Driik. I feel like I have a somewhat decent grasp of the basics of the game by now. Even without a dog I can sometimes chase down animals through persistence hunting as long as it's out in an open mire and the animal doesn't disappear into the woods for too long. The drat bears always get me in the end though.

How do you kill the bears? Do you set up bear traps? Do you find that it's easy to kill them by yourself after you have armor and a good weapon? With the whole perma-death nature of this game I would be terrified to even try it even if I have really good stuff, and I would just take the dog and run away as fast as possible the moment it alerts me that a bear is around. I'm just sick of getting killed by bears. I wanna get killed by something else for a change. I haven't even made it to winter and had a chance to freeze to death yet.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

With a good fighting character (65-80 relevant skills) you stand a pretty decent chance against a bear if you put a few arrows into it first and have a dog or two backing you up. The farther away you get from that situation the more risk you introduce. I'd say the 50/50 point would be the aforementioned character, fur armor, a single dog, and one arrow hit.

The main issue is if you end up trading blows there's no way for you to out tank the bear in any armor set. You basically have to dodge it.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I set up a new character next to the Driik territory this time and miraculously spawned not only with a fine Kaumo knife, but also two Kaumo spears AND a woodsman's axe. :stare:

I will totally get revenge on the bears this time. I should've put more points into the combat skills though. None of them are above 60 yet but I suppose I can train. And I can hire a bear-hunting party.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The second spear would fetch some good stuff in trade.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Ivan Shitskin posted:

I set up a new character next to the Driik territory this time and miraculously spawned not only with a fine Kaumo knife, but also two Kaumo spears AND a woodsman's axe. :stare:

I will totally get revenge on the bears this time. I should've put more points into the combat skills though. None of them are above 60 yet but I suppose I can train. And I can hire a bear-hunting party.

I made a pretty great little mod a year ago that adds in some decently balanced training options to get your weapon skills up. Also adds a bunch of other items which you can choose to import or not. I think it actually adds more content to the game (at least in terms of craftable stuff) than any other mod (it's several consolidated mods and some of my own stuff). If you want I can dig it out and post it.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

dylguy90 posted:

I made a pretty great little mod a year ago that adds in some decently balanced training options to get your weapon skills up. Also adds a bunch of other items which you can choose to import or not. I think it actually adds more content to the game (at least in terms of craftable stuff) than any other mod (it's several consolidated mods and some of my own stuff). If you want I can dig it out and post it.

This sounds like a great mod. If you do find it, I'd be interested in it too.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I finally got one :3:

It seems the Driik really do have more dogs than everyone else I've seen. I took her out hunting to see what she could do and had her chase down an elk with her cub. I couldn't keep up and thought I lost the dog but she came back. After some tracking in the snow, I found the elk and gave chase again. The cub got separated from her mother and I had the dog chase it down, and this time it worked. I caught up and speared the cub but I was exhausted from trudging through the snow and it was getting dark, so I couldn't butcher the whole carcass. I tried building a shelter at the kill site but before I could finish it the elk mother came back looking for her cub. I was too exhausted to go after the mother and I could barely stand up, so I just had to sit there and watch her linger around in the distance looking at her dead cub. :smith:

A little while later a wolf showed up, perhaps trying to get to the half-butchered carcass. It got into a scuffle with my dog while the elk mother was still there just meters away, but my dog was unhurt. The wolf got scared off and the elk eventually ran off too. I really love the animal behavior in this game.

dylguy90 posted:

Yeah post it please!

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Yeah there is something about the way unreal world is programmed where there is just enough about it's wierd sim-yness and unpredictability that keeps delivering really novel experiences. And then the developer adds a bunch of mystical stuff in so when weird things happen you REALLY have no idea what's going on. Honestly one of the most unique games I've ever played. Anyway, yeah I appreciate the interest and will see if I can find the mod on my Google drive. I think I did a pretty good job proofreading it but there are a lot of items and the icons especially are gonna be hit or miss. But the training section is really solid and imo the best implementation of a couple different training mods. I use it in every new game I play. Just don't tell the authors I hacked their babies into a frankenbaby

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Alright here you go. The readme has a lot of useful info but if you drag and drop all the files into your Unrealworld directory that will work too. Check it out and let me know if you hit any bugs, I tested most of the items but some of the more complex stuff could have issues. Details in the readme if you hit that.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WI745JsqENYHBTB4MiAIuwSTb_KJtHDN

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

dylguy90 posted:

Alright here you go. The readme has a lot of useful info but if you drag and drop all the files into your Unrealworld directory that will work too. Check it out and let me know if you hit any bugs, I tested most of the items but some of the more complex stuff could have issues. Details in the readme if you hit that.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WI745JsqENYHBTB4MiAIuwSTb_KJtHDN

This looks really cool, thanks! I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but does it work with ongoing saves or do you need to generate a new world?

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I would made a copy of your entire game directory first so you can roll back easily, but it should work with all versions. There have been some item additions but no major changes to items the mod touches as far as I can tell.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I wouldn't mind a survival game similar to Banished but with only 1-4 co-op people instead of an entire village. Gather enough supplies to survive the winter (with a little bit of help like hunting and fishing during winter) and live another day. Anything with seasons, really.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Hey heads up gang I just learned about and tried Eco. It's really good and extremely innovative. The gameplay is essentially pve Rust/Minecraft/LiF where you build up a communal server (or libertarian/neolib depending on the elected government) from medieval to modern technology. The server lasts for 30 days, at which point it gets anihilated forever by an asteroid - unless you've built up enough industry to build some sort of anti-asteroid defense mechanism, at which point you win.

The catch: the world has an EXTREMELY robust environmental simulation running at all times. It keeps track of every animal, plant, pollution emission, ground water saturation level, fish population, player action, and more, and compiles it all into a dynamic heatmap you can overlay on the world map. You can literally hunt animals to extinction, clear-cut forests and turn them into deserts, and emit enough CO2 to raise the temperature and sea level catastrophically (which causes you to lose as well, indirectly as you need food or you can't keep working).

Server pops look like they max out around 200 and I have been playing on some 100 pop servers consistently so there is definitely a playerbase too. Servers can elect leaders and vote for laws that you can craft using a fairly robust tie-in to the game's programming language (you can literally prevent players from taking certain actions in certain areas, it's all really complex and I'm nowhere near figuring it out yet)

I guess if I had to choose a downside it's that while you can hunt animals there's really no fighting in the game, you can't die, it's more about your relationship to the means of production and the environment. I'm surprised more goons aren't playing because this game is ripe for a Goonunism server (which we will inevitably destroy by over investing in vanity projects and flooding the world with poop). Depending on interest I'd even be down to publish a megathread in Games.

:getin:

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I wouldn't mind a survival game similar to Banished but with only 1-4 co-op people instead of an entire village. Gather enough supplies to survive the winter (with a little bit of help like hunting and fishing during winter) and live another day. Anything with seasons, really.

Totally echo this, agreed. Unreal World revealed I apparently have an insatiable appetite for hard survival games with seasons. Maybe it's a socal thing

S w a y z e fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 30, 2019

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

I'm game. Thanks to you, I reinstalled URW and getting ready for my second winter. I planted crops (a first for me) and successfully trapped an elk wandering around my camp. I'm up near owl-tribe territory and I've only killed two Njerpez. Usually by now I'm getting bored (and dead).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Huh, that's interesting, I didn't know ECO had a hard time limit of a month if you don't stop the asteroid. I did know about how robust its environment models were. Interesting.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
ECO is pretty cool. AMA about accidentally joining an alt right server when I got it a year ago. (which wound up imploding, wow what a shock)

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I so wanted to get in on Eco when it first came out, but I wanted a chill server, preferably with close friends. But none of my friends like these sorts of games, despite it seeming like such a fun time.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ECO had a pretty shite skill system when I tried it out, I heard the system got updated recently but progression is still based on house quality and nutrition. The fact that every player needs their own house really messes with the environment as forests get clearcut super early.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

this is Don’t Starve and honestly it sucks pretty bad. survival games really need some kind of overarching plot or goal to work toward or else they burn out really fast because the game rewards solving the problems in front of you with drudgery.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

It's true, though if you're a proper ~stewart of the forest~ and not a dick you can just replant them.

Glad you got into URW again (not sure if you're talking to me)! Hope you like the mod as well, pm me if you get stuck with anything.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
I don't know if you guys would consider it a traditional survival sim, but Kenshi has been pretty fun so far. My son talked me into it over the weekend and I've probably dumped 40 hours into since. I picked it up in the humble store and with my discount it was only a shade over 20 bucks.

It bills itself as an open ended RPG and in a lot of ways it is, but the events that unfold are mostly dynamic and the difficulty curve is pretty steep. The dynamic events that generate based on your choices are pretty neat and I've found myself actually getting into the lore a bit as a result, mainly so I have an idea what to expect from different factions as I run into them. The AI isn't without its flaws and you'll find yourself in some WTF moments here and there, but overall it hasn't made me hate the game.

On the survival side it's got limb based damage models and limb loss. Food is a requirement but no water for whatever reason. There's base building, mining, and even a basic economy. My son's been making his living as a smuggler running hashish to areas where it's illegal for an insane profit, if that's the route you want to go. I've been grinding out building a base in my game and been having fun with that personally.

Protips:
If you lose a fight but only get knocked unconcious, don't just give up and reload. Most losses in the game are completely recoverable and you'll be shorting yourself if you stick to the old RPG mindset of minimizing loss by reverting to a previous save.
You can assign squad members dedicated jobs by holding Shift and clicking whatever it is you want them to do repeatedly. Pretty much every action can be automated this way; healing, looting, taunting, mining, crafting, etc are all pretty much hands off if you want them to be. They follow orders in sequence and you can re-order their priority list on the fly to get them to do what you want, when you want. It reminds me a lot of the combat priority lists you could generate for your team members in the first Dragon Age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

dylguy90 posted:

Glad you got into URW again (not sure if you're talking to me)! Hope you like the mod as well, pm me if you get stuck with anything.

Yup, talking to you. :) It's a great mod.

Is it worth building fences around your fields? I've noticed an uptick in trapped birds since I planted seeds. The birds would fly over them, I think. What about deer and elk?