Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INov9gQ2aUA
Also resulting in low-key one of my favorite internet things.

ahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Werner Herzog also had no idea what to expect from Comic-Con and ended up loving it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INov9gQ2aUA
Also resulting in low-key one of my favorite internet things.

:lol: this owns

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Werner Herzog also had no idea what to expect from Comic-Con and ended up loving it.

link? this sounds delightful.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Guys, did you know Werner Herzog voiced a character on Rick and Morty? He's a very funny and intelligent person!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Oh word?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Paladinus posted:

Guys, did you know Werner Herzog voiced a character on Rick and Morty? He's a very funny and intelligent person!

He also cameo'd on Parks & Rec, what's your point?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Has he ever interviewed Slavoj ˇi˛ek?

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Paladinus posted:

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Werner Herzog

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

He was for some reason the bad guy in an action movie. I think he just does whatever the first thing to come to mind is if he's not already working on something.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Werner Herzog: both one of the world's great directors, and one of the greatest two-bit scary-German character actors.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
That is literally one of five Parks and Rec scenes I’ve ever watched. It was a delight to just walk into a friends house and see that madness on the screen.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

rodbeard posted:

He was for some reason the bad guy in an action movie. I think he just does whatever the first thing to come to mind is if he's not already working on something.

Jack Reacher, which starred Tom Cruise. The only other fun thing about that movie was the fight scene halfway through where two jamokes attack Cruise's character in a bathroom and it turns into a low-key Three Stooges reference with Cruise as Moe, complete with eye gouges and clonking the two mooks' heads together.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

he was very extremely out of shape

iirc one of the hikers in his thread said his symptoms were consistent with the body just going "gently caress this" and seizing up due to over-exertion/lack of proper nutrition

There are people like that. I work on the fifth floor of my office building and always take the stairs up. One day while doing so I reach the second or third floor and recognize a coworker from another department who is just standing there completely out of breath. You would think she'd just run a marathon. It was crazy, I actually stopped to ask if she was okay.

I would describe my own level of fitness as 'goon-tier' even if I'm not technically overweight. I guess the moral of the story is, no matter how out-of-shape you are, there are always people who manage to do worse

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

lifg posted:

Werner Herzog: both one of the world's great directors, and one of the greatest two-bit scary-German character actors.

Also very casual about being plinked by a pellet gun...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrRNM9cMBDk&t=47s

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

There are people like that. I work on the fifth floor of my office building and always take the stairs up. One day while doing so I reach the second or third floor and recognize a coworker from another department who is just standing there completely out of breath. You would think she'd just run a marathon. It was crazy, I actually stopped to ask if she was okay.

I would describe my own level of fitness as 'goon-tier' even if I'm not technically overweight. I guess the moral of the story is, no matter how out-of-shape you are, there are always people who manage to do worse

Its a big thing for the fat acceptance movement to highlight skinny people who have no energy and terrible nutrition as proof that being skinny isnt a sign of being "healthy" as that somehow justifies being 100 lbs overweight.

Drink 10 cups of coffee, smoke 2 packs a day, eat a lite salad and a granola bar no poo poo you are going to have health issues. Its not better just because you do the same but with fast food meals 3x a day.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

what does that have to do with their post

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i think people are just yelling their grievances into the void, y'know, an SA thead

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

link? this sounds delightful.

https://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/23/216123/

quote:

“I have never seen the collective dreams all in one place,” said Mr. Herzog, who claims to have expected men in suits — business suits — when he heard the term “convention.”

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

That's pretty cool. I guess it kind of makes sense, I feel like if you can get past the smell of unwashed nerds, it's a pretty good place to see ~30,000 people who are all collectively in a great mood and having fun acting out their fantasies

e: I worked security for PAX East a couple of years and it was a similar thing. Even when I had to do the less attendee-friendly jobs (repeatedly telling the same people at the Riot Games booth that they risk having the whole convention shut down if they don't clear the loving fire lanes, for example) I don't think I encountered a single rude or bad-tempered person; everyone (except maybe the people losing at the Magic the Gathering tournaments) was in a really great and friendly mood.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

McCandless died to a neurotoxin previously unknown to science. Getting killed by something the literature said was completely safe isn't really something that more preparation could have helped with. Dude even managed to identify the source of the poison, though by that point it was too late.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 22:14 on May 1, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tunicate posted:

McCandless died to a neurotoxin previously unknown to science. Getting killed by something the literature said was completely safe isn't really something that more preparation could have helped with. Dude even managed to identify the source of the poison, though by that point it was too late.

okay I think you ended up in the wrong thread but I have got to know context on this

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's not the wrong thread, we got onto Herzog because the thread was talking about shopping cart cross country goon and I conflated McCandless, who lived in a bus in Alaska and died of poison, and the other guy that died of misadventure in Alaska, eaten by a bear, whom Herzog made a documentary about

All's in order, here are my papers

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tunicate posted:

Do you have a source for this? Everything I've seen says it was either ODAP (known about, but hard to tell because toxicity only presents in people who are already badly malnourished) or L-canavanine, neither of which were "previously unknown neurotoxins."

e: according to this article, the reason they didn't find a cause of death initially was because they were looking for toxic alkaloids instead of toxic amino acids.

quote:

To establish once and for all whether Hedysarum alpinum is toxic, last month I sent a hundred and fifty grams of freshly collected wild-potato seeds to Avomeen Analytical Services, in Ann Arbor, Michigan, for H.P.L.C. analysis. Dr. Craig Larner, the chemist who conducted the test, determined that the seeds contained .394 per cent beta-odap by weight, a concentration well within the levels known to cause lathyrism in humans.

According to Dr. Fernand Lambein, a Belgian scientist who coördinates the Cassava Cyanide Diseases and Neurolathyrism Network, occasional consumption of foodstuffs containing odap “as one component of an otherwise balanced diet, bears not any risk of toxicity.” Lambein and other experts warn, however, that individuals suffering from malnutrition, stress, and acute hunger are especially sensitive to odap, and are thus highly susceptible to the incapacitating effects of lathyrism after ingesting the neurotoxin.

ODAP was known about at least since WW2, since the guy who figured it out, did so by realizing that Jews in a specific concentration camp in WW2 were experimented on by being fed almost exclusively the same plant McCandless was consuming en masse, and they knew exactly what would happen:

quote:

a Jewish doctor and inmate at the camp, Dr. Arthur Kessler, understood what this implied, particularly when within months, hundreds of the young male inmates of the camp began limping, and had begun to use sticks as crutches to propel themselves about. In some cases inmates had been rapidly reduced to crawling on their backsides to make their ways through the compound …. Once the inmates had ingested enough of the culprit plant, it was as if a silent fire had been lit within their bodies. There was no turning back from this fire—once kindled, it would burn until the person who had eaten the grasspea would ultimately be crippled …. The more they’d eaten, the worse the consequences—but in any case, once the effects had begun, there was simply no way to reverse them …. The disease is called, simply, neurolathyrism, or more commonly, “lathyrism.”…

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 22:47 on May 1, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

tl;dr: there's a big difference between "unknown to science" and "known to science but unknown to some 20-year-old idiot"

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Going to a con with an adult who has never been is wonderful. The whole event really is giant and weird and magical. I went with a friend, and seeing everything through his fresh eyes really filed off some of my cynism.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Snow Cone Capone posted:

tl;dr: there's a big difference between "unknown to science" and "known to science but unknown to some 20-year-old idiot"

Concentration camps was a different plant ( the grass pea, Lathyrus sativus), which had the same toxin.

Nobody knew that neurotoxin was in the wild potato seeds until they was tested after McCandless died (all the literature said they were harmless and good to eat). He left a note saying "EXTREMELY WEAK. FAULT OF POT[ATO] SEED. MUCH TROUBLE JUST TO STAND UP. STARVING. GREAT JEOPARDY", which was a bit of a hint.

It's not uncommon for things to turn out to be ridiculously deadly after being regarded as safe - Paxillus involutus was, until recently, considered to be a totally harmless and tasty mushroom, but it turns out that sometimes it randomly makes you allergic to your own blood and then you die.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 23:08 on May 1, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tunicate posted:

Concentration camps was a different plant ( the grass pea, Lathyrus sativus), which had the same toxin.

Nobody knew that neurotoxin was in the wild potato seeds until they was tested after McCandless died. He left a note saying "EXTREMELY WEAK. FAULT OF POT[ATO] SEED. MUCH TROUBLE JUST TO STAND UP. STARVING. GREAT JEOPARDY", which was a bit of a hint.

The only test for it was extremely flawed:

https://cen.acs.org/content/cen/articles/91/i43/Chemists-Dispute-WildProtagonist-Chris-McCandless.html

It's more likely that he confused wild potato plants with sweet pea plants (the concentration camp experiments plant), since they're apparently extremely similar.

e: anyway the overall point is still that he died because he was a moron; if he had even basic survival skills he wouldn't have been so malnourished that ODAP could be toxic.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tunicate posted:

It's not uncommon for things to turn out to be ridiculously deadly after being regarded as safe - Paxillus involutus was, until recently, considered to be a totally harmless and tasty mushroom, but it turns out that sometimes it randomly makes you allergic to your own blood and then you die.

Sure, but apparently literally the only evidence that wild potato even contains ODAP is in that one, apparently badly flawed, test that the Krakauer himself paid for.

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that a half-starved teenager would confuse 2 very similar plants, and I'm legit not sure how he would have come to the conclusion that what was making him weak were the copious amounts of seeds he was eating, rather than the near-total lack of any other source of nutrition.

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 23:14 on May 1, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah, and that's why after that 2013 criticism, they tested wild potatoes seeds again, in 2015.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1080603214002774

quote:

Results

Our analysis confirmed the presence of L-canavanine in H alpinum seeds and demonstrated that it is a significant component of the seeds, with a concentration of 1.2% (weight/weight), roughly half of that found in Canavalia ensiformis.
Conclusions

The data led us to conclude it is highly likely that the consumption of H alpinum seeds contributed to the death of Chris McCandless.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 23:18 on May 1, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tunicate posted:

Yeah, and that's why after that 2013 criticism, they tested wild potatoes seeds again, in 2015.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1080603214002774

That study actually further refutes the first one. ODAP and L-canavanine are different compounds. They conclusively identified L-canavanine in that second test.

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 23:24 on May 1, 2019

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i am not a scientist but

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lol at the role model killed by potato

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Poor ol' trust fund baby, thought of the wilderness and died.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

he also played himself in an incredible mockumentary called Incident at Loch Ness in the early 2000s. It's about him trying to make a documentary about the cultural influences of the Loch Ness monster and the shithead Hollywood producer who keeps trying to jazz it up by going behind his back to have cheap animatronic monster parts made that he can sneak into the shots (among many other things). it owns

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

The best part about this is Aubrey Plaza managing to creep him out, which I have to imagine is an extremely difficult thing to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqnI_zizaSI&t=307s

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Reiche posted:

The best part about this is Aubrey Plaza managing to creep him out, which I have to imagine is an extremely difficult thing to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqnI_zizaSI&t=307s

goddamn that's amazing

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
What was "fell in a terlet" from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Phy posted: