Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

https://twitter.com/Read2Win_Kissin/status/1121788629649465345

This deck may or may not actually be good, but it is absurdly fun to play.

These were announced as basic lands in the reveal stream. The only speculation is whether or not they're snow-covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

tzirean posted:

These were announced as basic lands in the reveal stream. The only speculation is whether or not they're snow-covered.

Fetches errata'd to type: "Basic Land"! ;)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

tzirean posted:

https://twitter.com/Read2Win_Kissin/status/1121788629649465345

This deck may or may not actually be good, but it is absurdly fun to play.

man that's loving lame.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GoutPatrol posted:

man that's loving lame.

It's why fetches skyrocketed again. Everyone assumed a partial reprint at least, but with this you have increased modern interest while the most important cards (really, drat near every deck uses them) for the format aren't getting reprinted. I almost think fetches will go higher when the set comes out, but I hope not for health of the format.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
http://team-cygames.com/2019/04/30/5826/

Yuuya's sleeves posted (bottom of the page)

Looks pretty bad

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Looks pretty bad

Those are some obvious marks, jeez.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Looks pretty bad

My "chewing on the corners" hypothesis confirmed

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Cynic Jester posted:

Those are some obvious marks, jeez.

Seriously, you'd think a dude trying to cheat at the highest level of play would at least try to disguise the marks in the pattern or something? You can't even look at these and pretend they're not marking his cards with the most generous interpretation possible.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
lol did his sponsor post those thinking they would exonerate him?

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

And this is with him resleeving his deck two rounds before the round he got deckchecked in. No way.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I still can't understand why he did this. So bad.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

ShaneB posted:

I still can't understand why he did this. So bad.

Probably because it's something he's always done? It sucks to think about but people don't usually start cheating after they get into the Hall of Fame.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I’m gonna let you in on a secret: pros cheat a shitload. not all of them, and the ones that do don’t do it all the time, but it’s endemic

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Looks pretty bad

Yup, that's gonna be a suspension. Probably a lengthy one, since the fact that he switched to these sleeves after losing a match on Day 2 implies that he had them waiting in case he got into a situation where he thought he needed an extra edge to make T8.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

tzirean posted:

Yup, that's gonna be a suspension. Probably a lengthy one, since the fact that he switched to these sleeves after losing a match on Day 2 implies that he had them waiting in case he got into a situation where he thought he needed an extra edge to make T8.

He talks about switching sleeves a lot in a tournament because he is "paranoid". Probably a Freudian slip. He probably switches back and forth between marked sleeves for feature matches and in times he really "needs" them.

The ban should be lifetime. This kind of cheating is the worst kind possible.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Luv 2 cheat playing big brain decks like *checks notes*... Tron.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Those images are hard to argue with. "The odd's of this happening by accident [are] close to non existent" indeed.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I hate cheaters in competitive games. And if WOTC wants people to stop cheating, the punishment for cheating at higher levels needs to be more severe, not less.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Kurieg posted:

I hate cheaters in competitive games. And if WOTC wants people to stop cheating, the punishment for cheating at higher levels needs to be more severe, not less.

👏Magic👏The👏Gathering👏Arena👏

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Cynic Jester posted:

👏Magic👏The👏Gathering👏Arena👏

100%, watching magic done on arena is a vastly better product and entertainment than paper.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yuzenn posted:

100%, watching magic done on arena is a vastly better product and entertainment than paper.

The Mythic Invitational was easily the most entertaining event MTG has had, even given the lackluster format

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Fandom Legends has been hosting a 4K Arena tournament every Thursday and they have been really well run and Arena is such a huge upgrade over watching paper it’s crazy.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

They won't do it, but I really want to be able to play Modern and Legacy in Arena.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Cactrot posted:

They won't do it, but I really want to be able to play Modern and Legacy in Arena.

:yeah:

It would be so much nicer to play this way. Or at least bring over the various cubes so I can play them more easily.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Bought a display. Pretty bad box, but some ok hits. Not a disaster or anything.
Fun to open. Only good foil is Ral.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Cactrot posted:

Extremely same. But they won't for a very long time (if ever).

I'm sure I'm in the minority on this but I have no more than a passing interest in Arena until they have some sort of non-rotating format for boring people available. I just don't have the time or energy to keep up with Standard.

anglachel
May 28, 2012
I cant see modern happening in arena without them hiring on a team of equivalent size of the team pushing out new sets.

I also dont see them wanting to compete with themselves by having new releases not get sales vs old releases

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
What of modern horizons is the start of the arena modern format going back to, I dunno, to wherever there isn't a fetch?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

C-Euro posted:

Extremely same. But they won't for a very long time (if ever).

I'm sure I'm in the minority on this but I have no more than a passing interest in Arena until they have some sort of non-rotating format for boring people available. I just don't have the time or energy to keep up with Standard.

Apparently they're working on something like a "New Modern" for Arena, where everything from Arena's launch onwards is legal and doesn't rotate out.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Apparently they're working on something like a "New Modern" for Arena, where everything from Arena's launch onwards is legal and doesn't rotate out.

Launch as in beta? So Kaladesh and up?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yeah this is the big rumor (and probably confirmed than just a rumor) but I'm not buying into Arena until they apell out just what that format is.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

anglachel posted:

Launch as in beta? So Kaladesh and up?

Launch as in launch. They could add Kaladesh, but there isn't a need to while there is a need to have something to do with cards that rotated out. Kaladesh being part of arena modern is optional. Ixlan being a part of arena modern isn't.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Ironically I'd be fine with fetchlands in Arena, since I don't have to shuffle and everything costs the same.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

mossyfisk posted:

Ironically I'd be fine with fetchlands in Arena, since I don't have to shuffle and everything costs the same.

Yah, but it would be an opportunity to bring a fetchless non-rotating format to paper in the future, which they might be interested in.

I’m guessing they won’t include Kaladesh in arena modern. There are a lot of development mistakes in there, so why open that can of worms?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

anglachel posted:

I cant see modern happening in arena without them hiring on a team of equivalent size of the team pushing out new sets.

I also dont see them wanting to compete with themselves by having new releases not get sales vs old releases

Don't want to compete with themselves? They want to sell you products. They could give a poo poo it as long as you buy it. While standard and draft should be their best target in theory, masters sets and other products have shown they can rake in big profits. Enfranchised players play multiple formats and buy multiple types of products. They get to double dip without much diminishing returns.

I use to be under the illusion that they could do modern. Their development just for standard has been much slower than what was presented in the early days of arena. The new rules engine was being sold as it being lightyears ahead of modo and that importing old cards would be easy. Instead, they have been painfully slow to implement things.

They are leaving a ton of money on the table by leaving out modern and/or commander though. Whatever they would spend on development would pay out big time. I don't know what I would do with myself if I could play modern arena. The amount of money I would spend would be shameful.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Arena Commander would be a license to print money.

(I'd kill for Arena Pauper but I know that's never coming)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I only heard about the brawl format once they discontinued it, that seemed like it would be great for arena.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
Anecdotally, I found out years after the fact that most of the regular faces in the local magic scene who were consistently doing well at GPs and JSS events when we were teens were viciously cheating. Card marking, stealth scrying stuff away, sliding cards to the top, just plain double drawing

At least one was eventually caught and ate a dci suspension and LCS ban. Ironically they said that their biggest tell was when they would start saying stuff that sounded accusatory or acting like they might get a judge involved. If you’re explaining that you didn’t double drop a land or whatever, you don’t notice them messing with their pile

They graduated to hustling people at poker, I assume pulling a lot of the same stuff

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

But to continue this, printing modern in arena has some unique challenges.

1. Get problem cards to work in arena with off the wall abilities. A big chunk of these are cards that aren't played in anything though but are just legal in modern.
2. You don't just want to leave the problem cards out of arena (although they have done this before) or add them to the ban list.

Its interesting because they are trying a straight to modern set. Its new ground and unless they really gently caress up the set its going to be really popular. What if they make a new modern format (arena format) and then roll in straight to modern arena sets featuring staple cards from the current modern format. It accomplishes a few key tasks.

1. It makes the new modern format with the powerful cards people are use to but ready for arena.
2. You have a chance to remove problem cards without banning anything. Cards with abilities that don't make sense for arena or cards you just thought modern could do without.
3. You don't piss off people's who have collections full of big money cards with a dying format. (except legacy but who cares) YOu in fact give them another reason to spend more money.
4. You do this without worrying about standard balance.

Wotc rides the masters sets gravy train but in two areas (digital and physical) while giving their premier product more hype.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

WotC likely thinks selling new nonstandard sets would scare and confuse the nonenfranchised players that flocked to arena, like how blizzard wouldn't sell old HS packs for years, and now only does so through their website, not the app.