Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
When I did tech support for Comcast, it wasn’t a matter of anyone being underqualified, it was a matter of “making nothing to get yelled at by assholes.” We could help the poo poo out of people who were decent. And there were people to contact or transfer the caller to if you really didn’t understand the problem.

But lol at doing more than “oh, hmmm, yes, we can send a truck?” for some dickhead when you have to do it all 50 times an hour for seven dollars and twenty-five cents.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 20:11 on Apr 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
My peeve is that companies know they can get away with paying low wages to people who likely have never even used the product they are supporting that just to read off a sheet of paper after letting the customer wait on hold for an hour. Yes I want those people to have well-paying jobs but if a company is going to pay a wage commensurate with a technical expert, they should actually hire one, or at least pay for training to make an employee one.

Scripts simply should not exist in any type of customer service. Let people be human. I'm sure a lot of the people forced to read a script often wish they could break it and tell the person the real solution, but some idiot in HR who knows even less than they do about the product or the customer told them it would be bad for The Brand to not follow it to the letter.

e: people probably tend to be assholes to tech support because the entire system is set up to be aggravating. Yes, if they're an old, maybe following the steps and having them check if it's plugged in solves a lot of the problems, but I wouldn't have subjected myself to your lovely hold music for a good part of my day if i hadn't already tried all the things I can do from my end.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 20:16 on Apr 27, 2019

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

if a company is going to pay a wage commensurate with a technical expert

are there any companies that actually do this

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

InediblePenguin posted:

are there any companies that actually do this

no, but they should be mandated to if they are going to use a title that implies that they are one.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Andrast posted:

There are no jobs that should be paid that badly

Hello friend have you heard of a little something called the police force

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Peeve - when I mean to just have a brief lie down early in the night and accidentally go to bed. I just had a long day at the gym and was tired, so went to my bed to lie down, fully clothed, before doing my dishes/teeth and getting properly ready for bed. I passed out completely, and now it's 11:30pm and I've only just got my dishes washed and my teeth cleaned and am going to go to bed properly. It's annoying.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

BioEnchanted posted:

Peeve - when I mean to just have a brief lie down early in the night and accidentally go to bed. I just had a long day at the gym and was tired, so went to my bed to lie down, fully clothed, before doing my dishes/teeth and getting properly ready for bed. I passed out completely, and now it's 11:30pm and I've only just got my dishes washed and my teeth cleaned and am going to go to bed properly. It's annoying.

Last night at around 10 I had a ton of writing I wanted to do, but my back ached a little from typing so I laid back and listened to the music for a minute.

Around 1:30am I just switched to bed. Whoops.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Why does it have to be so difficult to ask for the day off for mental health?
I'm sitting here on the verge of tears and feeling like absolute poo poo because they "need" me at work.
The knowledge that I'm going to hear from my boss tomorrow is not helping my state of mind.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

The true problem is that I actually like my job, but depression doesn't care.
It doesn't care.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
gently caress your job though. Even the irl Moltres spends time hibernating in its home cave sometimes instead of doing its job.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The phrase "I don't care about your opinions" has taken me pretty far in arguing against my bosses.

Their whole existence is based around them being King Big Dick Fuckman, and if you don't validate it for them they stop knowing how to deal with it at all. Easier said than done, I know, but it's interesting how many people can be legitimately shut down by just walking away from them when they talk at you.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! has a new favorite as of 03:19 on Apr 28, 2019

metalhead librarian
Jul 22, 2007
Rocking the shelves since 2005

The Mighty Moltres posted:

The true problem is that I actually like my job, but depression doesn't care.
It doesn't care.

As someone who just took Monday off for mental health reasons, I feel you. Just remember that you need to take care of yourself, regardless of who "needs" you. Unless you are in some position where it is absolutely vital for the day-to-day running of the company, then they can survive without you for a day.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

There's almost no overlap between people that will actually get angry at another person and people that have enough spine to follow up against anything you say/do to them. It's one or other. When my boss screams in my face for not working 112 hours a week, I can just wander away from him because he's doing that because he doesn't know how to interact with other humans. He's not going to suddenly learn how to interact with humans when he goes to human resources.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

gently caress your job though. Even the irl Moltres spends time hibernating in its home cave sometimes instead of doing its job.

You ever stop and think about how weird it is that the Pokémon series is full of gigantic birds that presumably need tons of space but they all live in caves and poo poo?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

No

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Do they ever eat sushi in Pokemon? Those are all made of magikarps right.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The cold sweat you get from doing anything physically taxing in cold weather. As soon as you stop working so hard you instantly start freezing.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
relatively affluent tourists who visit impoverished parts of the world and then get extremely outraged that a local taxi driver might try and scam them out of what is to them an extra couple of dollars or that there might be other beggars around acting so gosh darn unscrupulously

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

People referring to the SNES Classic as an "SNES Mini" has made it too drat hard to find a good deal on an actual SNES Mini/Jr.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Mu Zeta posted:

Do they ever eat sushi in Pokemon? Those are all made of magikarps right.

Yes, a few times in the anime if I remember correctly, but no it wouldn't be made of Magikarp. The joke is that it's such a worthless Pokémon that it's not even edible.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Pokémon anime always had them eating meat and fish and stuff, but apparently made from non-Pokémon animals that you just never see.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Selfish assholes that don’t stay home when they are sick. I’m glad you came to the party Harvey. Now I’m bed ridden and feverish because you decided to attend the birthday party while you still had “just a cough”. I hope you get pneumonia you self absorbed oval office.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Alcohol tolerance. I miss the days where I could hit my limit with beer, but those days are long gone. I just finished a 24 pack of natural ice and I feel alright, buzzed but not going to wake up significantly incapacitated. Being a cheap drunk must be so nice and economically viable.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Cuticles! loving cuticles!!!

Today I had to put argan lotion and bandages on my fingertips just to give them a chance to heal. I swear they were peeling back to the knuckle.

And my god, pockets in that state!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Websites that are so utterly determined to sell on your info that they just throw you off if you don't agree to their cookie/privacy policy.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Why is everything louder when you're trying to be quiet?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

Usually because it's night-time and there's less background noise so the noises you make stand out more by contrast.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

lovely apartment landlords were supposed to turn on the AC May 1st, but because there was a 'minor cooler day last week' (it was 60~ instead of the 80+ quagmire) so they're pushing the date back by like a week?? Its gonna be over 80 the next few days but haha whatever.

The wife and I are trying our best to preserve as much cool temperature as we can by using sun blocking curtains and using much less electronics, keeping ice in bottles and bottles for our rats to lower the ambient temperature in their cage, etc.

Our room mate (her brother) Has three huge-rear end monitors going basically 24/7, multiple electronics going, like as many lights on as possible (why?) and decided today is the day he wants to use the oven to bake a pizza instead of buying taco bell like literally every other day. ugh

Edit: and of course he gets pissy when we ask him to hey maybe don't???

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

A lot of overlap with my previous peeve, people that get out of the military and then continue to base their whole identity around the fact that they used to be in the military. Can't state any opinion without starting the sentence with 'As a marine, I..." no matter how irrelevant it is.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

As a former military, that pisses me off too.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

clockwork chaos posted:

lovely apartment landlords were supposed to turn on the AC May 1st, but because there was a 'minor cooler day last week' (it was 60~ instead of the 80+ quagmire) so they're pushing the date back by like a week?? Its gonna be over 80 the next few days but haha whatever.

The wife and I are trying our best to preserve as much cool temperature as we can by using sun blocking curtains and using much less electronics, keeping ice in bottles and bottles for our rats to lower the ambient temperature in their cage, etc.

Our room mate (her brother) Has three huge-rear end monitors going basically 24/7, multiple electronics going, like as many lights on as possible (why?) and decided today is the day he wants to use the oven to bake a pizza instead of buying taco bell like literally every other day. ugh

Edit: and of course he gets pissy when we ask him to hey maybe don't???

Our office is usually a day behind with adjusting the building temperature. It sucks in the spring when it swings from like 40 to 80 sometimes. Well, they finally got the heat on, but now it's sweltering outside? Too bad!

We use the oven a lot at home, and it really heats up the apartment when we do. It's extra lovely in the summer, so we're looking into buying either an air fryer or a countertop convection oven.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

It's always trying not to wake up my daughter. I swear I'll go out of my way to not make a sound and something louder happens. Drop the toilet lid, step on the loudest step, stub your toe, freak out a cat, all these things are possibilities that hardly ever happen when I'm just casually going about my business.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
my pet peeve is that i can't seem to get used to people dropping "to be" from sentences. like "the lawn needs mowed". i don't care that people say it, i just wish it didn't feel like i blacked out in the middle of the sentence or something.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Also dropping "from". "Yesterday's storm stopped me mowing." It's common and I've been exposed to it forever but it still makes me feel like I have to put extra thought into parsing the sentence.

Edit: Not being able to get used to how people talk in the region I've lived in for my entire life is a result of spending more time interacting with people on the Internet than in real life, I'm pretty sure.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! has a new favorite as of 21:56 on Apr 30, 2019

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

my pet peeve is that i can't seem to get used to people dropping "to be" from sentences. like "the lawn needs mowed". i don't care that people say it, i just wish it didn't feel like i blacked out in the middle of the sentence or something.
That's a regional thing that I picked up somewhere (it's not from the area where I was born and raised and lived for forty years, so who knows where I got it). I use it rarely; it bugs my family, and frankly, I mentally wince when I hear it come out of my own mouth. :iiam:

Unrelated peeve: I wish people were better about filing off of airplanes in an orderly drat fashion. gently caress the people a row behind us who rushed out into the aisle only to stand and wait with everyone else. Oh word, you have a bus to catch? No one else on this plane has somewhere they've got to be. You want off this plane faster, maybe don't book a seat in row 47, rear end in a top hat. And don't loving push ahead so you cut our twelve-year-old off from us on the way out.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Hirayuki posted:

Unrelated peeve: I wish people were better about filing off of airplanes in an orderly drat fashion. gently caress the people a row behind us who rushed out into the aisle only to stand and wait with everyone else. Oh word, you have a bus to catch? No one else on this plane has somewhere they've got to be. You want off this plane faster, maybe don't book a seat in row 47, rear end in a top hat. And don't loving push ahead so you cut our twelve-year-old off from us on the way out.

I wish airlines could let people off the back door of the plane on a more regular basis, I've only been able to exit through the back once in my life and it felt so luxurious.

Failing that, they should let people without carryon luggage off first. I didn't stuff an entire suitcase overhead and I shouldn't have to wait for y'all to struggle to remove yours for an hour. Is the $30 to check it really worth saving if you're rendered an rear end in a top hat in the aisle by it?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

YouTube videos where a bit of text pops up correcting something they're currently saying. To put that text there they had to catch the error before they published the video, so why not re-record that bit?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

YouTube videos where a bit of text pops up correcting something they're currently saying. To put that text there they had to catch the error before they published the video, so why not re-record that bit?

because that's way more effort

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Andrast posted:

because that's way more effort

Yeah, but not doing it looks appallingly amateurish and lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Youtube videos that pop up with related/suggested videos in the last 10-ish seconds. Especially when the actual video is still going and it's not just credits or whatever. I do not, and never will, give a flying gently caress about those.

Same with the poo poo that pops up when I pause the video. If I was done watching, I'd close the tab or go to another page. I'm never going to click any of those suggestions because I'm not done watching this video. That is the worst time to suggest poo poo to me, youtube.