Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DiHK posted:

Jakodee deserves one of those angry shakey avatars that's made up of a bunch of :words: smiles scrolling endlessly

I mean the imgur links are a bit weird when quote exists but it's probably the most politely worded version of Nazi mods gently caress off I've ever seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I know this is some sad and hostile poo poo but I have been just SLAMMING my face into my f5 key. Crazy GOT episode, wild fascism insurrection, guy brought everyone timbits at work. What a day.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I don't post much in most of this subforum, but I've been around a while and the fact that Aba hasn't eaten a ban or 5 year probation is honestly astounding. Beer, you've been a good and reasonable dude for a long time: why is this suddenly a hill you want to die on?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Apropos of nothing else (because I really don't want to touch the rest of the discussion) the people complaining about it being "only" a sixer should keep in mind that sixers are the only mod action that immediately goes through without admin intervention, which I know isn't immediately apparent but some of you have been around long enough to know how the mod queue works.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Reene posted:

Apropos of nothing else (because I really don't want to touch the rest of the discussion) the people complaining about it being "only" a sixer should keep in mind that sixers are the only mod action that immediately goes through without admin intervention, which I know isn't immediately apparent but some of you have been around long enough to know how the mod queue works.

Just been having this discussion elsewhere and there are apparently a ton of people that don’t know this.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Oh, okay. That makes me feel a bit better .

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

jakodee posted:

Warning: Get ready for image links and a lot of words.

So.

Beer4TheBeerGod.

Back in the Fascism in Trad Games thread before you gave me a probation you said:

In response to:

Except when I clicked on the link to that thread, I didn’t find a place to discuss the problems people had with your moderation at all. I certainly didn’t find a thread in which you acknowledged any “fair concerns”.

I found this:

I found that a moderator had made a sarcastic shitpost in response to his upsetting people by rebuking them for calling out an open fascist defending fascism in the thread for calling out fascists. He subtitled this thread “The mods are bad,”. Interpret this as you will, but I cannot see it as anything other than more hostility.

This wasn’t a good look, so I decided to review that of your behavior I had found troubling before and after the creation of this thread. This is what I found:

https://imgur.com/UPBCNSN

Beer both didn’t consider a fascist posting fascist-apologia to be ‘more objectionable content”, and then he told posters to “ignore him so that his content doesn’t spread”; showing that he was well aware that the “content” of LordAba’s posts was objectionable to say the least, and then he accused people asking him why he wasn’t banning an open fascist in the thread of derailing the thread. The thread about how to spot fascists in gaming communities.

He also, rather than doing what BIG MEATY SHITS says here, insisted that anyone who had a problem with his moderation decisions, debate him via private message, and threatened to enact “harsher punishments” on anyone who continued to criticize him in the venue he was responsible for, which was full of people criticizing him.

In addition, in the first line of his three point list, he referenced the forum rules, not as an explanation for why he could NOT ban LordAba, but for why he was not OBLIGATED to ban LordAba. That he had the power to make a judgement call about baning a fascist sea lion, and chose not to.

https://imgur.com/tIALW35

https://imgur.com/BZm6ioq

Then, rather than taking criticism of his moderation in regards to the fascists that exist in a traditional gaming community that he moderates, in a thread about fascists that exist in traditional gaming communities, he insisted that all complaints be restricted to a place that I think we are all aware exists to kill off issues a moderator doesn’t want to deal with.

Beer has certainly not had problems moderating directly in these threads before, but now he insisted that such discussion be restricted to a locked off environment where Beer would have support from outside of the membership of the community he moderates, membership he knew would likely take his side regardless of whether he was right or wrong.

https://imgur.com/Qwt5bjj

He then admitted his suggestion would likely have been inadequate and stifled complaint instead of leading to constructive feedback. When I followed his request to go to the new thread, I found… well I found the sarcastic and dismissive original post from the beginning of this post.

https://imgur.com/aTRUV1v

I was starting to feel fairly hostile to Beer at this point, which was extremely unnecessary and rude of me, and told him that immediately admitting you had been trying to brush a moderation problem under the rug made it look like he was just looking for an excuse to close the thread.

He put me on probation for what was, I admit, an unnecessarily hostile post, although no more hostile than a great of what had been directed towards others than Beer, which had not resulted in any probations. He also doubled down on his authority as a moderator to demand posters move discussion elsewhere without any explanation of this decision to the numerous members of his community who were affected by it and arguing against it.

https://imgur.com/WzM7rWL

As you can see, this decision was immediately followed by more criticism and accusations of bad faith by the community he was moderating.

https://imgur.com/TpQVVbS

He then… attempted to make it clear that further attempts to criticize him or other members of the thread would result in the thread’s closure by his action? I think? This post was somewhat ambiguous, and I could have misinterpreted it.

Oh, and this.

If anyone is wondering if LordAba is really a fascist, and if Beer particularly cares about repeatedly posting fascist political ideas in the threads he moderates, here

https://imgur.com/JMwJzX4

is LordAba insisting that he knows, KNOWS all of his detractors are are arguing in bad faith, trying to “gently caress up the thread”, hate him, and want to misrepresent him. This was, of course, the first attempt he had made to defend his writing from its detractors in this thread, but he KNOWS no one would argue with him in good faith, so why should he bother defending himself.

LordAba spent most of this post defending his opinion that it’s not morally correct to consider it never acceptable to lock children up in cages, separating them from their caregivers and subjecting them to potentially lethal abuse, so long as their parents are violating racially motivated laws from the US that violate so many international laws human rights principles it's impossible to count them. He even says that he supported the continuation of sending children to these concentration camps so long as the law had not changed.

He supported changes in the laws of course. He even described current conditions as “not good” and “unfortunate”. But so long as the Law (of the US) remained on the books we are morally obligated to follow it, crimes against humanity and all.

Note that his very next sentence is him asking “Maybe if someone pointed out where I said I support sending children to literal concentration camps?”.

In response to Control Volume and my requests that LordAba be banned for both reiterating fascist political ideas and speaking about his personal political beliefs in the thread for calling out Fascists in Traditional games, the two things Beer said would result in thread closures or bans if they continued, Beer… put LordAba on probation for six hours.

https://imgur.com/PPygKyZ

Note both me and BIG MEATY poo poo reiterating our disbelief that Beer had not banned LordAba for the very behavior he had claimed would be required to ban him: repeated posting of obvious fascist talking points and derailing the thread with defences of a political belief.

Beer’s ultimate response to all this?

https://imgur.com/sUhpo9Z

I believe that the moderator Beer4TheBeerGod is likely either sympathetic to to fascism, or nepotistic enough to allow LordAba to continue to disseminate positively portrayed fascist material, concern troll attempts to identify fascists, and interrupt discussions of how to combat fascism in our communities because he has some other desire to protect or promote LordAba than his politics.

In either case I have become convinced that Beer4TheBeerGod is neither competent in his duties as a moderator nor willing to carry them out in order to create a safe, welcoming, and constructive community for discussion of traditional games.

I am now requesting that Beer4TheBeerGod either publicly resign from his duties as a moderator, publically direct me to the best means of communication with whomever is capable of reviewing if Beer4TheBeerGod is able and willing to execute his responsibilities as moderator and who has the power to, if necessary, remove him from that position.

I am publically requesting that all this be done in the open in the interest that it be widely known my actions regarding Beer4TheBeerGod, and to make my satisfaction known to the wider community.

I would not make this request unless I suspected that at least a portion of the community Beer4TheBeerGod moderates would agree with my conclusion of his inability to do so.

(Most of the material from the forum interactions is in the form of screenshots rather than quotations, so as to prevent the possibility of previous writings in these forums being changed or removed.)

I have chosen to post this in the “Fascists in Trad Gaming” thread because it is both obviously relevant to the thread and I (and everyone else I believe) have found ourselves mysteriously unable to post in the thread for criticizing Beer4TheBeerGod for reasons we have not been informed of. Imagine that.

I thought this thread was kind of stupid when it was nerds advising other nerds to complain to management when the game store has a Nazi infestation but I changed my mind, it’s good now.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I thought this thread was kind of stupid when it was nerds advising other nerds to complain to management when the game store has a Nazi infestation but I changed my mind, it’s good now.
Oy. You know your thread has jumped the shark when this rear end in a top hat starts taking interest.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Ilor posted:

Oy. You know your thread has jumped the shark when this rear end in a top hat starts taking interest.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Well played, sir. Well played.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Reene posted:

The fact that it took that much effort to even get the most minimal response is kind of part of the issue

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yeah who cares about that I just caught up on the thread and Mark me down in the "Beer sucks" column

A dude with a history of being fash "just asking questions" about what adjacent means is not here for discussion. He's here to be a shithead, in a thread about hating people like him. Probing people for questioning you allowing him to post unmolested is a bad move

Beer also claimed that he didn't understand what "adjacent" meant in context in the "tell me I'm bad" thread that he shut down.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The fact that it took that much effort to even get the most minimal response is kind of part of the issue

Oh wow, it sounds like he really dropped the ball. You should get a refund, how much were you paying him?

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

NovemberMike posted:

Oh wow, it sounds like he really dropped the ball. You should get a refund, how much were you paying him?

Come on man. I knew I was going to create some tension by being as aggressive as I was with ultimatum, but we don’t need to be dragged down by this kind of spiteful insult.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

NovemberMike posted:

ah yes the mods here are free from criticism because they're unpaid, a theory borne out by a brief glance at history

im not calling for his head, or even for him to step down, i think hes still a decent human being, but he handled this situation really badly and the way he's responded to criticism isnt helping

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Reene posted:

Generally I drop a sixer and then queue a harsher punishment if it's warranted.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

ah yes the mods here are free from criticism because they're unpaid, a theory borne out by a brief glance at history

im not calling for his head, or even for him to step down, i think hes still a decent human being, but he handled this situation really badly and the way he's responded to criticism isnt helping

They're not free from criticism but if your criticism is that they aren't responsive enough then lol. IIRC the last mod did not log in. I'm not sure that Beer is perfect but he's been better than we had.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

That post also goes for sexism / transphobia / homophobia in nerd spaces. A decent person goes "oh okay, sorry to make you uncomfortable" and knocks it off. Jerks love to lord their power over you, complete with "am I triggering you" "jokes".

With the new Slaanesh models coming out, I’ve already been seeing a ton of weird transphobic and homophobic poo poo coming around. It seems nobody is able to describe the keeper of secrets without resorting to slurs.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Reene posted:

Also, for the record: The main reason problems with mods usually go to QCS (and why I would have closed the TGQCS thread if Beer hadn't already) isn't because QCS gives the mods some kind of advantage, it's so the admins can see it. They're the ones who handle this stuff. If you don't want to post in QCS specifically, you're better off PMing FactsAreUseless directly. Please do not send him thousand-word posts though.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Yo can someone tell me more about prominent tradgame Youtube people who happen to be fascists so I can make sure to never watch anything they produce

Because I feel like we had a good list going on for awhile there before the discourse was destabilized for multiple pages by some bad-faith fascist (it's almost as if that's what fascists do :thunk: )

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
For lack of a better place I'm curious people's takes. Is it appropriate to play Germans in WW2 minis games, like ever?

Just to clarify I have zero interest in doing so myself, I'm an American Jew so I don't even really wanna touch it with a ten foot pole but I end up feeling conflicted. One side of me wants to believe that there are legit non-fashy reasons for doing it, like genuine historical interest, the other part of me starts feeling uncomfortable when some dude in a gaming store knows just a bit too much about German history circa 1938 to 1944 and makes me wanna edge away slowly. Is there a good middle ground?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
You're allowed to play Germans if you agree to lose.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
If you gently caress up and win, your opponent is allowed to stomp the miniatures of their choice.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

For lack of a better place I'm curious people's takes. Is it appropriate to play Germans in WW2 minis games, like ever?

Just to clarify I have zero interest in doing so myself, I'm an American Jew so I don't even really wanna touch it with a ten foot pole but I end up feeling conflicted. One side of me wants to believe that there are legit non-fashy reasons for doing it, like genuine historical interest, the other part of me starts feeling uncomfortable when some dude in a gaming store knows just a bit too much about German history circa 1938 to 1944 and makes me wanna edge away slowly. Is there a good middle ground?

I'm saying this as someone with one side of the family who were refugees from nazi germany (I've seen the paperwork and loving :stare:) and who has been personally involved in kicking the loving fash out of a number of places and scenes.

Yes.

a) someone's gotta be the germans.

and

b) it's fine if you're not weird about it.

Like, I'd a million times rather the genuine answer was "because I think their tanks look the coolest" rather than some weird misty eyed poo poo about superior engineering and tactical doctrine or whatever other bullshit.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I think if someone wanted to portray a historically accurate 1939-1944 German army they would pay attention to things like, camo patterns, correctly colouring uniforms, individual regimental details, putting mud on boots and making sure the guns look sufficiently patina'ed, greasy whatever. Just painting swastikas everywhere is telling you something else entirely. As mentioned upthread - swastikas everywhere on military gear is not historically accurate and really presenting you with someones personal bias.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

RagnarokAngel posted:

This question reminds me of the discomfort I feel when I play the videogames Unity of Command and Panzer Corps - they're great beginner-level wargames that are easy to learn and fun to play, buuut you're stuck playing as the Nazis. The games thankfully don't fetishize this - no super units, just relatively straightforward mission briefings - but it's still one of those things where it gives me complicated emotions.

As for multiplayer games, as long as a given player isn't acting like a wehraboo then, welp, someone's gotta be the germans. And their tank design is pretty cool.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

RagnarokAngel posted:

If it wasn't okay then we'd only get to play Allies Vs Allies or worse, exclusively play singleplayer tabletop wargames.

Someone having a German army, or even someone who has encyclopedic knowledge of German tanks and camo patterns isn't a red flag. If they have multiple German armies but no Allies, or glorify the SS, or they make inappropriate jokes then you've got a problem.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Historicals have a huge variety of scales, basing conventions, and rules-sets so you often end up with Germans because you're best bet is to model both sides of a conflict and run it as a club game or con event. (At least that's how my group does it.)

Warhammer-style games like Flames of War or Bolt Action encourage each player to bring their own armies- but unless you coordinate and own multiple forces, you'll just get weird matchups like BEF fighting USMC or Romanians from Stalingrad. (FoW takes some steps to prevent time-travel battles, but BA is more anything goes.)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

PinheadSlim posted:

Someone having a German army, or even someone who has encyclopedic knowledge of German tanks and camo patterns isn't a red flag. If they have multiple German armies but no Allies, or glorify the SS, or they make inappropriate jokes then you've got a problem.

In other words, it's really really rare that it's just about your plastic army mans.

Just ditch the swastikas and you'll be fine (plain crosses are fine at most mini gaming scales), unless you're doing a 100% historically accurate version of, oh, I dunno, Stanley Lock's spitfire, then you can have 26 of them on one model but I'm gonna give you a weird look if you get that specific and don't include the dog somehow.

The point that's been repeated, perhaps not enough, is that the actual fash always always tell on themselves. They can't help it. You don't need to hunt them out, you just need to know their grade school secret codes and watch out for obvious tells.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 30, 2019

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jakodee posted:

Beer also claimed that he didn't understand what "adjacent" meant in context in the "tell me I'm bad" thread that he shut down.

There were a couple people in this thread that didn't know. So what.
I am not a fascist. Never was a fascist. You guys took a quote that I was banned for, which I didn't bring up again, and followed me around the internet with it. A quote in which I didn't expose any superiority based on any criteria. A quote in which I never endorsed or moralized the laws I sourced. Even in the QQ thread people like DiHK were taking me out of context.
You were bullies. I ignore bullies. Maybe that was a mistake. What I don't like is you trying to drag Beer down as well. They had nothing to do with this.

Elector_Nerdlingen mentioned creating and fostering good communities. Will anyone new here see your actions as supporting a good community?
I live in Platteville, and called out the owner of the local shop for being anti-semetic, in the face of a semi-pro Magic player no less.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/bobs-baseball-dugout-platteville
The thing is, I'm also helping out the new shop by distancing them from the old (I'm in a small town, but most people don't know games and still confuse the two) and trying to grow a wargaming community through Kill Team.

Maybe Beer will ban me for this and I wouldn't blame him. Then you can cheer, leave Beer alone, and move on.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

LordAba posted:

I am not a fascist. Never was a fascist. You guys took a quote that I was banned for, which I didn't bring up again, and followed me around the internet with it. A quote in which I didn't expose any superiority based on any criteria. A quote in which I never endorsed or moralized the laws I sourced. Even in the QQ thread people like DiHK were taking me out of context.
You were bullies. I ignore bullies. Maybe that was a mistake.

Elector_Nerdlingen mentioned creating and fostering good communities. Will anyone new here see your actions as supporting a good community?
I live in Platteville, and called out the owner of the local shop for being anti-semetic, in the face of a semi-pro Magic player no less.
The thing is, I'm also helping out the new shop by distancing them from the old (I'm in a small town, but most people don't know games and still confuse the two) and trying to grow a wargaming community through Kill Team.

Maybe Beer will ban me for this and I wouldn't blame him. Then you can cheer, leave Beer alone, and move on.

I'm not new, but I've been more active in this thread than anywhere else on SA in the few years I've had an account. I was very glad to see there was an entire thread for calling out and making GBS threads fascists/insensitive idiots. I also really liked that people didn't like you participating in their threads when you started saying insensitive stuff.

I'm not a barometer of great moral character or anything, but I'm definitely inspired to participate more when I know that poo poo won't be tolerated on any level. It didn't scare me away, it was comforting.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

LordAba posted:

You were bullies. I ignore bullies. Maybe that was a mistake. What I don't like is you trying to drag Beer down as well. They had nothing to do with this.

have you considered stopping trying to help yourself because seriously dude you're still trying to defend yourself for posting that putting refugee and immigant children in camps, to concentrate them in one area, by the government, is not a concentration camp.

like you even did that in the thread that got closed

so loving shut up and go away you loving rear end in a top hat, you don't get to collect Not A Fash points to counterbalance this

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Y'know this fun little forums feature really doesn't work if people keep loving quoting the guy.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Drone posted:

Y'know this fun little forums feature really doesn't work if people keep loving quoting the guy.

It also doesn’t fix the problem.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

LordAba posted:

Don't namedrop me as if I was supporting you, you dumb rear end in a top hat. I know you didn't miss the point and think that post somehow wasn't about kicking people like you out. Or the post where I mentioned some of my family were german refugees. You weren't taken out of context, you're frightened because people understood exactly what you meant and you're wondering how often that's happened in your real life. If you had any sense of shame you'd gently caress off and never come back.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 30, 2019

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

LordAba posted:

gently caress off

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

The point that's been repeated, perhaps not enough, is that the actual fash always always tell on themselves. They can't help it. You don't need to hunt them out, you just need to know their grade school secret codes and watch out for obvious tells.

Yeah, I think this thread is good because its pointing out fash that may not be as readily apparent. But youtube performances, whatever their dubious skills in some cases, are still leagues better at putting on a good face than what you're likely to encounter at the local store. They're the exception rather than the rule.

The type of fash trash you're likely to encounter in the store will tend to be just another flavor of creepy maladjusted loser skirting by on geek social fallacies and faux-tolerance. A lot of them you may not even realize are specifically politically oriented right wingers until after the fact, as they'll be spewing plenty of more generalized sexist, racist crap long before they start expounding on white genocide or the deep state or whatever. The alt-right is less savvy fifth columnist infiltrators and more Donald Trump minus the wealth that makes anyone give a poo poo about him.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

LordAba posted:

people like DiHK were taking me out of context.

Context eh? I think I'm going to have to call in a 3rd party investigator.

Oh he already has found something useful!

quote:

Let's break this down a bit:

Aba you maintain that following the law is the most important thing in the CONTEXT of arresting and detaining "illegal immigrants".

That is AUTHORITARIAN. It is also FORCEFUL SUPPRESSION OF THE OPPOSITION. I would also say that characterizing "illegal immigrants" as "criminals" is both RADICAL and RIGHT WING, considering that these people are seeking asylum from life threatening conditions in the place they ran away from. Do you see why we're calling you a fascist?

I'm not going to go into why these people are not "criminals", plenty of material exists for that. Honestly I shouldn't engage you at all because you're trolling us with this whole "innocent man just asking questions" bullshit. You're coming back to this thread again and again with the "it is not I who is the oppressor but YOU who are OPPRESSING me." That is text book nazi talking points.

B4tBG is not a Nazi or nazi-adjacent or a nazi sympathizer.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

If I ever take up WWII historical, I'd probably paint the Tomainian double-crosses.

That or the Cobra suggestion earlier in the thread. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
LordAba is no longer welcome in TG. I have told him not to post here. I have already requested a ban, and will continue to do so every time he posts. I don't have the power to do anything other than a sixer without admin approval.

Please, just put him on ignore and report his posts.

DiHK posted:

B4tBG is not a Nazi or nazi-adjacent or a nazi sympathizer.

That's the nicest thing anyone has said about me all day.