Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Haha yeah, it's this and not Sonic adventures or sonic comics or Sonic cartoons or Sonic O Dicks or Shadow the Hedgehog or Sonic Boom the video game or

The Sonic excuse me now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think that Jim Carrey is trying to play Robotnik like Elon Musk or any number of tech bros, but it feels subdued and on autopilot (I mean, Jim Carrey slumming it still feels better than most other comedic actors, but still).

What I want is for him to go full loving Fire Marshall Bill.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Zelder posted:

You're not making a point at all though. Why shouldn't it be taken seriously?

Edit: don't get me wrong, this movie is gonna be rough and it's not gonna keep me up at night. But I am generally tired of this air of "this thing sucks, and actually that's really good" that permeates every element of the Sonic franchise.

I'd love it if the games were being taken as seriously as they were in the Adventure days or Unleashed, when they were clearly putting a lot of polish and love and effort into it. I really, really can't stand what the games have turned into. But this movie looks mostly fine to me, aside from Sonic's weird-rear end mouth.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
I am not at all a fan of Sonic's movie design, especially his eyes and mouth. They look terrifying.

The cop guy looks boring and dumb.

Jim Carrey looks great, echoing the games' trend of Eggman being the best part.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Sonic O Dicks

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Sonic would never work with a cop. Wasn't that one of the old Sonic Sez segments? "Sonic Sez never trust the pigs"?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Zelder posted:

Sonic would never work with a cop. Wasn't that one of the old Sonic Sez segments? "Sonic Sez never trust the pigs"?

I believe the exact quote was, "Only trust your fists - police will never help you. Sonic Sez!"

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://twitter.com/codaanim/status/1123244459905441794

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sonic in 2001: On the run from the cops, wrecking CIA blacksites
Sonic in 2019: Best friends with the cops
smh, this franchise has truly fallen low

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I'm bracing myself for the double entendre "blue lives matter" joke they're gonna drop in the film

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Augus posted:

Sonic in 2001: On the run from the cops, wrecking CIA blacksites
Sonic in 2019: Best friends with the cops
smh, this franchise has truly fallen low

I mean, true, but the US military going out of it's way to detain a refugee is pretty on point.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAyDGWOooas&t=687s

#OnlyOneBlueLifeMatters

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I know this tweet is a joke, but it's inevitable someone will seriously make this comparison. The Detective Pikachu movie is infinitely more clever in concept and execution - it subverts expectations by casting Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu, and the noir style is a really fun and unique take on the setting, much moreso than "Sonic's in our world!". Plus the pokemon designs are INFINITELY better, and they lean into the creepiness of the look and have fun it with (clearly Mr. Mime is SUPPOSED to be off-putting).

Oh, and it's actually cleverly written, from what we've seen so far.

Zelder posted:

I'm bracing myself for the double entendre "blue lives matter" joke they're gonna drop in the film

Oh god no I could actually see this happening

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Sonic is BACK!

this is gonna be the one, guys :dance:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/fatherqueerest/status/1078429935788646400

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I don't like the idea that sonic is dropping blue electric hairs all over the place

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Kurtofan posted:

I don't like the idea that sonic is dropping blue electric hairs all over the place

They are QUILLS you INGRATE

AND HIS ARMS ARE STILL THE WRONG loving COLOR

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Sonic, looking directly into the camera: "I, have a dream!...cast"

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Who exactly is this movie for? Sonic fans don't want it or like it, and they're the only people I can think of who would have any interest in it.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Frankston posted:

Who exactly is this movie for? Sonic fans don't want it or like it, and they're the only people I can think of who would have any interest in it.

Kids will probably like it.

Personally the main thing I dislike about it is it reminds me of what I didn't like about the one transformers movie (aside form them all looking the same the whole time). Mainly I don't want to watch the normal people parts with him in a bag and all that. And I'd be happier with it mainly being sonic, the cop, and Dr. Jim Carey.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/virtanderson/status/1123288023096016897

:sigh: What could've been.

Also

https://twitter.com/alyankovic/status/1123289100088369153

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hi I got linked to this and I'm insanely upset so now I'm posting it here.

https://twitter.com/StrangeWoof/status/1123247377429745664

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Frankston posted:

Children and Chinese people, probably.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The 9 million steps thing was a great line tbh

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i just wanted them to get weird and wild with the movie and instead it just looks really boring and lovely. wish they would let people who care at all about sonic play with franchise instead

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
https://twitter.com/Gray21oh/status/1123219894567178240?s=19

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Frankston posted:

Who exactly is this movie for?

Judging by the reaction? beep by grandpa, myself and a few others

so it might break $100!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Zelder posted:

The Sonic excuse me now?

isn't that one of ken penders's storylines

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean
It's Sonic. It's not high art or anything like that. That was segas issue starting with Adventure by going all in on the seriousness with the little girl who died of space aids and Sonic being the cause of the apocalypse because he didn't make out with the human lady fast enough. It wasn't until Unleashed when they went what the gently caress are we doing these are cartoon animals and decided to just be goofy like this movie appears to be
Even Forces was self aware with the setting and plot, that despite there being lines about Sonic being tortured it was still intentionally goofy and simple about it

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sonic is still a big name and big with kids. The movie won’t do as well as Detective Pikachu but it’ll do well enough and won’t bomb.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It just has to do well enough until we get CGI Big.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hrist posted:

Kids will probably like it.

i dunno about that man. my impression of it is lovely guardians of the galaxy except with anthro uncanny valley sonic that'll probably scare kids. prepare for a 90 minute journey of the writers projecting their daddy issues and one liners that sound great in a trailer

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Calaveron posted:

I mean
It's Sonic. It's not high art or anything like that. That was segas issue starting with Adventure by going all in on the seriousness with the little girl who died of space aids and Sonic being the cause of the apocalypse because he didn't make out with the human lady fast enough. It wasn't until Unleashed when they went what the gently caress are we doing these are cartoon animals and decided to just be goofy like this movie appears to be
Even Forces was self aware with the setting and plot, that despite there being lines about Sonic being tortured it was still intentionally goofy and simple about it

It'd certainly be nice if anything in this movie looked the slightest bit fun or inventive.

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes
I liked the child scene and I like Jim Carrey. The rest clearly isn't meant for an adult man so my judgment overall wouldn't mean poo poo. Reminded me more of Bay's TMNT movies than anything: target audience, presentation, and focus and all. I'll probably give it a shot whenever it goes on Netflix

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Goddamn that trailer looks adequate. This kinda is what I expected of the movie, gotta say I am most upset by them using Gansta's Paradise. Everything else is pretty much on the spot, we're getting just Sonic, there's Eggman robots and I think it's a bold move to pair Sonic with an adult this time. In the old days we'd be getting someone like that kid from Sonic X, which was kinda lame. I do like that he's kinda like the Flash in this one as well, probably jumping worlds with the power of speed (or just timelines, which you know, happened in the games as well).

It's okay. And I think that given Sonic's track record, we could use an "okay" version. Like Mania was amazing and I hold nostalgia for Adventure games as well, but if they tried to replicate the success of any of those, they would flop [b]hard[/b.] I really appreaciate that they try something new instead of poorly tring to connect this plot/world/movie to any given game, since it would attract more criticism.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

sharrrk posted:

i just wanted them to get weird and wild with the movie and instead it just looks really boring and lovely. wish they would let people who care at all about sonic play with franchise instead

That's pretty much what the situation with the comics is and those are pretty good, fwiw.

Also I admit it's a bit of a stretch, but part of me wonders if this is a sharknado deal where they're deliberately making it look bad to get more buzz.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

self-awareness is overrated. twitter brands are self-aware and they suck.
the newer sonic games are so busy being self-aware they forget to actually be fun stories.
Sonic Mania being the exception where the whole adventure was filled with joyful energy

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 30, 2019

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Oh, and it's actually cleverly written, from what we've seen so far.

Well what do you expect, this movie was written by a goon.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Robot Style posted:

Well what do you expect, this movie was written by a goon.

Oh my god you're right, haha

I am sincerely glad they are getting work, I liked Golan. Everyone slums it now and again (hence: Jim Carrey).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm getting cybershell videos in my recs all of a sudden. I miss those vids.