Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Also I can one-up that tale of hilarious failure. Not only did I not realize at first that I could link power plants together, I did not realize that I could use the remove tool on wires. Every time I linked too many things together and that section shut down, I removed a power pole and attempted to manually rebuild my connections. On more than one occasion, this resulted in me accidentally connecting something to the wrong pole and sending that one crashing, too. It was a MESS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
I didn't link my biofuel generators for my current playthrough even though this is like my third time starting over and I knew about the shared grid. I just had a brainfart and forgot. I also didn't know you could sprint until well into the coal phase.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Propitious Jerk posted:

I didn't link my biofuel generators for my current playthrough even though this is like my third time starting over and I knew about the shared grid. I just had a brainfart and forgot. I also didn't know you could sprint until well into the coal phase.

.. go to Options, Controls, uncheck 'hold to sprint', then tap Shift at the start of every play session and never look back. Especially once you get blade runners.

I cannot imagine walking everywhere in this game... let alone doing it at all.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Imagine what a pain in the arse this game would be if the power grid had to be a continuous circuit with the possibility for short circuits.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
I was browsing the wiki looking for info on the upcoming content and saw some stuff for a hadron collider and quantum doodads and now I'm wondering how those would ever be implemented into a factory system.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Propitious Jerk posted:

I was browsing the wiki looking for info on the upcoming content and saw some stuff for a hadron collider and quantum doodads and now I'm wondering how those would ever be implemented into a factory system.

I think those are more likely parts for high end computers, like how circuit boards are.

Webguy20
Dec 31, 2007
25 hours in and I just realized you can tag your beacons and the tag will show up on your compass. Do'h.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Beacons are cool until your hud is full of incomprehensible text.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

kloa posted:

I tried using them to tag my factory buildings with what item is produced there. It's helpful, but real messy.

Ideally we'd be able to put big signs on stuff. SCREW TOWN!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

kloa posted:

Yeah, being able to toggle them off in a menu like Subnautica would be nice. Of course, Subnautica itself didn't have this figured out...at first, beacon frequencies were actual inventory items you had to plug into your head...

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Speedball posted:

Yeah, being able to toggle them off in a menu like Subnautica would be nice. Of course, Subnautica itself didn't have this figured out...at first, beacon frequencies were actual inventory items you had to plug into your head...

Oh god, I remember those days. And you were limited to two, and they competed with the compass and other HUD upgrades. Wild poo poo, man.

That said, I do want simple signs that I can put up. Freestanding, on structures, floating in the air, I'd settle for anything. I've started color-coding for products in my structures, but it's just not as good as being able to produce labels. I hear there's also a map function in the works, and that will be very nice when it's done.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
WHO RUN SCREW TOWN?

Webguy20
Dec 31, 2007
I just got the alternative recipe for screws and gently caress yes ingots straight to screws. Simplification of the production line!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Webguy20 posted:

I just got the alternative recipe for screws and gently caress yes ingots straight to screws. Simplification of the production line!

There's more than one alternate recipe for screws but that is one of my favorites. I'm also a big fan of the alternative for reinforced iron plates that skips screws and just uses copper.

I really hope they give you an option to home in on crashed ships eventually with that scanner...

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ingots to screws is a great early alternate, but after enough hard drives you don't need to make screws at all.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I smelt all my copper to iron ingots in foundries and all the remaining iron ore gets smelted to ingots. Then I just use those ingots for everything: Iron wire, Steel ingots, screws. Really makes your production inputs a lot easier.

Who else is going to jump to the experimental branch coming out today? I've already got lines of Sulfur and Quartz connected to my base and I can't wait to see how the lifts work.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Freaksaus posted:

I smelt all my copper to iron ingots in foundries

That's nothing if not impressive

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
The alternate recipe are really overpowered. Seem to reduce the required amount of factoriesto produce reinforced frames by a factor of 3 when using one of the planning Web app and activating alternate recipes for: screw, encased bars, reinforced plates, modular frame, reinforced frame, etc.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Joda posted:

That's nothing if not impressive

Not sure if that was sarcastic, but it really is my favourite alternate recipe.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
The copper + iron into iron ingots recipe is basically magical.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Estraysian posted:

The copper + iron into iron ingots recipe is basically magical.

That one plus the iron wire recipe is real magic.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The expirimental patch is now available and man it has a ton of great changes and bug fixes.

https://www.satisfactorygame.com/patch-notes

quote:

NEW FEATURES

Added the Conveyor Lift (currently with placeholder visuals)
Rebuild or build a new factory with Mk.1 - 4 of the vertical Conveyor Belt!
Added the Quartz Research
New Parts and Recipes: Quartz Crystal, Crystal Oscillator
Explorer Vehicle: The vehicle currently best suited for traversal
Ingame Map: Enjoy revealing the game map via exploration and the Radar Tower
Added the Sulfur Research
New Parts and Recipes: Sulfur, Gunpowder, Explosives, Ammunition
Nobelisk Detonator: Blow up trees, bushes, rocks, creatures and friends
Rifle Mk.1: An automatic rifle for the purpose of Pioneer safety

BALANCING

Added several new alternate Recipes
Alternate recipes can no longer be hand crafted
Moved all Oil Nodes in the Dune Desert (northeast corner of the map) west to the Spire Coast
Adjusted purity of Oil Nodes in the Desert Canyons east and west of the Northern Forest
Fabric recipe now requires Biomass instead of Leaves
Fixed the milestone cost of the Alternate Heavy Modular Frame
Clearance adjustments for several buildings to fit more snugly
Splitter and Merger
Smelter, Constructor and Assembler
Miners and Oil Pumps
A few others
Adjusted the cost of the Programmable and Smart Splitter
Adjusted the cost of Caterium Milestones 2 and 3
Added Alien Organs research after Alien Carapace (making it possible to turn Alien Organs into Medicinal Inhalers)
Adjusted the cost of making Medicinal Inhalers (more Mycelia, less Nuts)
Greatly increased the amount of parts around Crash Sites for new games
Reduced Caterium Ore required to make Caterium Ingots from 4 to 3
Reduced the Quickwire cost of Quickwire alternate recipes
Increased Power Pole Mk.2 & 3 connections by 1 and 2 respectively
Increased the parts cost of some Buildings and Equipment
Generators: Fuel Generator, Geothermal Generator
Production Buildings: Manufacturer, Miner Mk.2, Oil Pump, Oil Refinery
Equipment: Xeno Basher, Jetpack, Gas Mask
Tweaked the Rebar Gun damage
Increased the duration that a Gas Mask Filter lasts
Beacons can now be built in the Manufacturer
Power Shards can no longer be used as fuel

BUG FIXES

Fixed rounding of power numbers
Some VO message fixes
Fixed that sorting the Inventory when in a building menu making the resource pick-up HUD appear
Fixed that the Vehicle gas throttle isn’t active while standing still (no more spinning tires when standing still)
Fixed playtime showing up wrong in the Load Menu
Fixed some Crash Sites that didn’t have costs / rewards
Fixed a focus issue to enable players to exit a menu via escape after closing an in-menu popup
Fixed that trying to place a Conveyor Belt with a Pole on the seam between two foundations caused a “Floor is too steep” warning (bye bye, sweet meme)
Fixed that changing a sound volume, exiting the options menu and going back to apply resets the audio settings
Fixed a bug with the cost of Conveyor Belts and Power Lines not updating correctly while building
Fixed the Hub upgrade effect to be visible for both client and server
Fixed so the Hub upgrade effect doesn’t trigger when joining as client
Fixed the duplicate mesh in the Hub Biomass Burners
Fixed that the player character and creatures no longer receive projected decals
Fixed the Gas Mask sound not triggering after entering Gas for the first time
Fixed that players can receive duplicate rewards from the Harddrive Research
Fixed that simulated vehicles would consume fuel even when standing still

QUALITY OF LIFE

Hub parts are now returned to the player on respawn or passed to other players if possible when their death crate is spawned
Implemented additional Hand Slots for Equipment that can be unlocked via Milestones
Resource tooltips now show the recipes that are necessary to make them
Connecting Conveyor Belts with conflicting directions is no longer possible
Reduced download size by approx. 2.5gb

FACTORY

Added power connections to the Hub Biomass Burners
Adjusted Hub floor collision so the player can walk onto it without having to jump
Renamed Storage Container Mk.2 to Industrial Storage Container
Added a second input and output to the Industrial Storage Container (previously Storage Container Mk.2)

VEHICLES

Updated the Truck description
Updated the Vehicle Recording point visuals

RESOURCES

Added a new Cable mesh and texture

UI

Added an Experimental label in the main menu and ingame
Overhauled the compass icons and functionality
Added a set of reticules for the Colour Gun
Updated several UI elements to scale better with localised text
Updated the Milestone message so that longer milestone names fit
Updated the Jetpack HUD box to include a fuel counter

OPTIMISATION

Adjusted culling distance on Crash Site meshes
Fixed some culling distance problems
Added sprite last LODs for some assets
Optimised the Willowtree asset (used primarily in Northern Forest)
Some texture optimisations
Reduced distance field distance and the trace distance
Adjusted settings on a bunch of assets to save on performance (Disabled Lightmap UVs, reversed index buffer and ADJ buffer)
Updated LOD settings, reduced triangle count and improved LOD timings on the Gas Pillars
Updated LODs and improved reduction parameters on several resources
A bunch of more LOD adjustments on many different assets

WORLD

Adjusted and fixed gameplay and resource nodes in several locations
Northern Forest Limestone location
Red Jungle pathway fixes
Terrain fixes in Western Dune Forest
Lake Forest jump, path and gameplay fixes
Connection tunnel between Grassfields and Rocky Desert
Landscape and visual adjustments in several locations
Rocky Desert, Northern Forest, Desert Canyons, Dune Desert, Titan Forest, Red Bamboo Fields
Did a pass over a bunch of foliage interactions (destructible by Vehicles & Chainsaw, pickupable, etc.)
Changed the mesh of a small bush used primarily in Grassfields
Improved cliff textures and material
Boosted the emissive effect on large shell cliffs (primarily used in the Blue Crater)
Placed better Gas perimeter indications in several map locations (Gas areas around the map should be easier to see now)
Made the Yellow Power Slug more… yellow.

WILDLIFE

Hogs now have a cooldown on their stagger
Made the Alpha Hog more aggressive
Made a small fix to the Hog panic state
Stingers (spider-like creature) now drop Alien Organs
Added LODs for the Stinger
Expanded the amount of resources Lizard Doggo can find
Added new sounds to the Space Giraffe/Tick/Whale/Penguin

NARRATIVE

Added Tiers of research Milestones into the unlock dialogues

Freaksaus fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 30, 2019

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

quote:

Fixed that trying to place a Conveyor Belt with a Pole on the seam between two foundations caused a “Floor is too steep” warning (bye bye, sweet meme)

Best part of the release.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
God yes, that alone makes this patch worth it.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

All great, except my active save has its oil rigs out in a very distant desert-y area which may well be the area they talk about having moved oil deposits to the beach from.

I would describe my main installation as being near a place which could be a beach, though, so I will load in and scan before abandoning to restart; being able to deliver crude via mk4 belt rather than a 2.2km truck route would be dope.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

quote:

Added a second input and output to the Industrial Storage Container (previously Storage Container Mk.2)
This sounds nice too. Not just higher capacity but also higher throughput.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oooh, nice, radar.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

quote:

Implemented additional Hand Slots for Equipment that can be unlocked via Milestones 

Does this mean both blade runners and a jetpack can be worn at once? Or at least blade runners and a gas mask? Please say yes.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
No it's only or hand slot items. Food, blades, and the chain saw.

The mid slot is still just one item.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

So you can wield a chainsaw and a sword at the same time? But not wear a gas mask together with blade runners? How are multiple hand slots supposed to work?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

They're additional Hand Slots. That sounds like Blade Runners / Jetpacks / Parachutes / Gas Masks will still share a slot, but we might be able to stick the Scanner in our off hand while we use the Mammal Slapper with our main hand.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
No, it's a quick switch on the main hand. Scroll wheel to change items from the filled slots

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

necrotic posted:

No, it's a quick switch on the main hand. Scroll wheel to change items from the filled slots

Ah, that's good at least. Still need multiple equipment slots though.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Taffer posted:

Ah, that's good at least. Still need multiple equipment slots though.

Yeah, there's no reason you can't have a gas mask and blade runners and parachute/jetpack at the same time. I can see making you choose between parachute and jetpack, because those would both be backpack slots (and I'd like to see an actual backpack option that increases your personal storage space), but I guess breaking up the "body" slots is farther down the roadmap.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

nielsm posted:

This sounds nice too. Not just higher capacity but also higher throughput.

Even with this change, I still don't understand the point of them.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Cobbsprite posted:

Yeah, there's no reason you can't have a gas mask and blade runners and parachute/jetpack at the same time. I can see making you choose between parachute and jetpack, because those would both be backpack slots (and I'd like to see an actual backpack option that increases your personal storage space), but I guess breaking up the "body" slots is farther down the roadmap.

Yeah, especially since if you're quick with the clicking, it's possible to jump with the blade runners and swap to the jetpack and start flying before you land again, taking advantage of the blade runner speed boost.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
The new elevators are nice, but they are too wide to use with the 3-conveyor walls. Fortunately they go really high, and you can now easily run up two belts in a single foundation space.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

RVT posted:

Even with this change, I still don't understand the point of them.

I think this means they would have to act as merger/splitters instead of just buffers. It's possible to get the same effect with the existing parts, but it's tedious and ugly.

If there is an input and an output on the same side, it could really simplify warehouse layouts.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

I'd like a logic system so that it doesn't send materials down the line unless there's an object on the other end that will use them. When I first started, I had cargo containers with multiple inputs, and discovered that it made it a BITCH to use those containers to output anywhere else. Could make it an on/off toggle function, but it would be a pretty large quality of life improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
Haven't gotten to try out explosives yet but man, those vertical conveyors are awesome. No more dealing with giant networks of sloping conveyors and being able to change the direction of the input and output separately is a game changer for stacking production vertically. The addition of multiple hand slots also frees up much needed inventory space.

The only thing I wish the vertical conveyors had was a built in ladder like the stack-able conveyor supports.