Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

pixaal posted:

Doesn't the Switch already have heat issues? How long before a game abuses this and cooks the Switch assuming there isn't a time limit on that 75% overclock (that's pretty impressive honestly).

Its probably a 75% overclock and not a 100% for that very reason. Or, maybe they'll say it can only be used during loading screens :iiam: I'm sure Nintendo has not let random devs melt your switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Oh also saw that Mario Tennis Aces is having a free demo week in Europe, at least.

I imagine that everyone who was going to buy it bought it already, but if you're on the fence it's there.

It's still a fine game, but probably too expensive for what it is. It's really fun, and I imagine better if you've got competent people to multiplayer with. It's given me some of the best online gameplay moments, if not the best, but match-making is noticeably longer (several minutes at best) than Splatoon or Smash, the latter which remains near instantaneous. The story mode is trash, and if they ever made a serious DLC for it of the quality of the Octo Expansion, that gives us the RPG of the GBC game, then that'd make it a a real purchase, but for now the Single player mode remains very superfluous.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Beastie posted:

Amazon had official docks on sale for $68 yesterday. Mine gets here today, still not sure if I want to keep it for the bedroom or what. Would be nice to have a more accessible dock to tear down for traveling. The one in the living room has it's cords wrapped up and bundled.

Just a general PSA, the jumpgate has been out in the wild for several updates and doesn't brick the system.

At half price of an official dock, it's a really good deal, especially with the dpad covers that come included.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Its probably a 75% overclock and not a 100% for that very reason. Or, maybe they'll say it can only be used during loading screens :iiam: I'm sure Nintendo has not let random devs melt your switch

The Switch already has thermal monitoring to account for people covering the vents or whatever, it just shuts itself down if it gets too spicy. Worst case if a developer abuses boost mode is their game "crashes" by triggering a thermal shutdown.

Boost mode probably isn't a guaranteed thing either, the system could drop down to a lower overclock or regular non-boost clocks if the temps get too high.

inb4 speedrunners put active cooling on their switches to sustain higher clocks and get faster load times

repiv fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 30, 2019

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

bushisms.txt posted:

Just a general PSA, the jumpgate has been out in the wild for several updates and doesn't brick the system.

At half price of an official dock, it's a really good deal, especially with the dpad covers that come included.

Yeah I've been leaning towards returning it and going that route. Might end up getting the lady a Switch too by fall, so we'd have another full dock.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Some optional stuff but you can auto-attack through the entire story

Sounds boring as gently caress

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Beastie posted:

Yeah I've been leaning towards returning it and going that route. Might end up getting the lady a Switch too by fall, so we'd have another full dock.

The dock and charger fit in my satisfye carrying case along with an extra pair of joycons. Makes traveling hassle free.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Tempted to pick up the Star Fox pilots, but haven't really played Starlink for a while.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dpulex posted:

Well it is a final fantasy

:smug:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm pretty sure like half of my XII playtime was reading the forums or watching youtube while barely playing any attention to the game

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Lodin posted:

Speaking of Gears, any games journalist who has lauded it for inventing the cover system is a dingus cause Rogue has a very similar one. Not sure, but I think Operation Winback might have been the first to implement it.

They all said it was Kill.Switch at the time

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Luckily the thing goes on sale constantly so it's just a waiting game I suppose.
The Collection 1 Pack went on sale for $35 in the US eShop back in March. At the time the Deluxe Edition (which included all the DLC released at the time) was on sale for $40, so while I already had the physical version of Starlink I figured getting the whole digital version for $5 more was not unreasonable.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Still, I don't think the M&R DK DLC goes up on sale as often as the main Mario and Rabbids game does.
I'm not sure I've ever seen the M&R DK DLC go on sale. The gold edition, which includes the DLC, has gone on sale for the same price as the DLC itself.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Your Computer posted:

it's a challenge to keep playing it without getting bored and switching to a different game :(

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah it’s incredibly challenging to put down because it’s a real good game.

Haha, Final Fantasy games can be so polarizing. I think FFIX is the only one that people generally seem to love.

Meallan fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 30, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Meallan posted:

Haha, Final Fantasy games can be so popularizing. I think FFIX is the only one that people generally seem to love.

That one is really bad.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what're good couch co-op games that aren't too difficult and are cutesy? My wife and I want to play some games together. Something a little difficult is fine is one of the players can carry the other. The only thing I've gotten a definite no on is Mario Kart.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Blast of Confetti posted:

what're good couch co-op games that aren't too difficult and are cutesy? My wife and I want to play some games together. Something a little difficult is fine is one of the players can carry the other. The only thing I've gotten a definite no on is Mario Kart.

Kirby: Star Allies is the game you seek.

Consider also Snipperclips.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve heard something about over cooked.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Boxboy + Boxgirl of course

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Overcooked 2

:unsmigghh:

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

will end your relationship. Seriously haha my wife wouldn't talk to me the rest of the night. She's not much of a game player and she had a tough time.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
overcooked will probably lead to a divorce

the kirby game sounds good and i found another game that apes the graphics of Ittle Dew and you can rez each other with a revival hug so that sounds perfect

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's funny to me how the overcooked relationship-killing meme is 100% true and not a joke.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Echophonic posted:

Tempted to pick up the Star Fox pilots, but haven't really played Starlink for a while.

I'm not too far into it yet, but it seems like the level of quality with team Fox is right up there with the main game. I'm not sure when they added this whole star difficulty thing but it seems like having stuff scale to your level was added either in this update, or in some previous one. Then end result is that you can freely use whatever pilots you want and switch in your really good guys (Fox) when it gets hairy.

I've only done the first race on the crimson moon, and it's a lot more difficult than I was expecting. Don't just go for speed over all else, you want to be able to drift around corners without smacking into a wall and wiping out. The Arwing and Lance seem like good bets, but Nadir might be good on a track that's heavy on straightaways.

:siren: You can apply paint jobs to your ships now :siren:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buddy, let me tell you about Broforce. Does your wife find blood, gibs, puns, and 80's action movies to be "cutesy"?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

FWIW Overcooked 2 is much, much easier to get stars on, so you don't have to feel too bad about screwing up a dish here and there

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rocket League so you can passive aggressively criticize your spouse’s play with ironic emotes.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Picked up Dawn of Survivors, why does it keep telling me to build a bike but I don't even see a recipe for it? Was having fun until I ran into what seems to be a semi-common zombie that takes half my life in one attack... and it's attack hits me regardless if I'm in it's gigantic wave range or not. Probably not going to put much time into it unless that gets fixed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dpulex posted:

It is

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'm starting to warm up to Dragon's Dogma. I still can't for the life of me navigate its maps in any way, neither world or local, but I did stumble across that water temple I don't have a quest for while trying to go somewhere simple that I do have a quest for. Also I'm glad you can randomly craft / junk components from out of your inventory when stuff gets too heavy.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's funny to me how the overcooked relationship-killing meme is 100% true and not a joke.

Ironically the reason I stopped playing with my girlfriend is that she'd want to burn through 3-hour streaks and I just can't take that much in a sitting.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Don’t know if Breath of the Wild is getting more dlc, but i’d totally buy one that added a mirrored hyrule or LttP style dark world.

DLC that requires them rebuilding literally the entirety of the well-known-for-being-loving-massive map?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hammer Bro. posted:

Ironically the reason I stopped playing with my girlfriend is that she'd want to burn through 3-hour streaks and I just can't take that much in a sitting.

Same mine would literally play it for hours at a time. It was insane.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That one is really bad.

9 is my favorite

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

bushisms.txt posted:

The dock and charger fit in my satisfye carrying case along with an extra pair of joycons. Makes traveling hassle free.

As long as you don’t mind half your backpack being full of computer game accessories

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Speaking of girlfriends and games, mine saw Syberia was on the switch when we were going round the shops and she said it was one of the few games she’d enjoyed playing when she was a teenager. It was stupidly expensive for a port of an old game but I’ve noticed it’s gone on sale and thought I might get it for her, does anyone know if it’s a good port or if it holds up?

It would be mainly for her to play or us to play together, seeing as I downloaded thimbleweed park recently and bounced off it pretty hard so I’ve decided maybe point and click adventure games aren’t my cup of tea

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Towerfall, lovers in a dangerous space time, snipper clips and boxy boy+ boxy girl. Grab the overcooked games if you want a divorce.

Butterfly Valley posted:

As long as you don’t mind half your backpack being full of computer game accessories

Huh? I can fit everything I need in a 10 inch carrying case. Backpack is full of weed

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 30, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
My niece has a Switch and her seventh birthday is coming up soon.

You think Dark Souls would be a good gift?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

No

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Unless you hate her

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Playing Nintendohard games all the time as 6-10 year olds is how people grew up to be Dark Souls fans in the first place so you might be spot on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Unless you hate her

I thought Dark Souls was supposed to be good considering how much people talk about how good it is in this thread. Does it have framerate problems or something? Because I don't think she'd mind those at her age.