Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
well they have to discourage that super-easy card churn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

spacetoaster posted:

Then I'm glad I've curated what I could be posting. Because that child wishing his mom could not be on night shift is the least of the heartbreaking wishes of kindergarteners.

Post em if you've got em.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

Then I'm glad I've curated what I could be posting. Because that child wishing his mom could not be on night shift is the least of the heartbreaking wishes of kindergarteners.

It's more the brands invasion. The kid is real sad, but the brands parasitizing our kids is what fires up some pure Celtic bloodlust.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

Post em if you've got em.

I couldn't even bring myself to take a photo.

It's mainly stuff like "I wish I could afford to play sports", "I wish we had enough money", etc, etc.

mycomancy posted:

It's more the brands invasion. The kid is real sad, but the brands parasitizing our kids is what fires up some pure Celtic bloodlust.

Yeah, the "brands" stuff infuriates me.

Want to really be mad? Corporations literally pay the school system to put corporate ads/branding on the take home folders of the kids.

For 500 bucks you could have MYCOMANCY emblazened on the front of every kid's folder. (instead it's GEICO)

spacetoaster has issued a correction as of 20:17 on Apr 30, 2019

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

I couldn't even bring myself to take a photo.

It's mainly stuff like "I wish I could afford to play sports", "I wish we had enough money", etc, etc.

Yeah, the "brands" stuff infuriates me.

Want to really be mad? Corporations literally pay the school system to put corporate ads/branding on the take home folders of the kids.

For 500 bucks you could have MYCOMANCY emblazened on the front of every kid's folder. (instead it's GEICO)

...is that all?

What if we do "DEATH TO CAPITALISM"?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mycomancy posted:

...is that all?

What if we do "DEATH TO CAPITALISM"?

Sorry. All ads have to be approved by Dr. Coka Cola at the head office before they go on the kid's foreheads.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

Here it is just for review:

No thank you friend I already had one mental breakdown today.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
It occurred to me that spacetoaster has posted those brands pics and the binder thing before.

I remember being concerned and mildly annoyed, but right now I feel nauseated and very angry.

Has the world gotten that much worse since the last time I saw those?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Sedisp posted:

No thank you friend I already had one mental breakdown today.

This is the advertisement that goes into all the kid's folders. I redacted a bunch of stuff because to corporations included the city name I work in.

This is on the snack machine in the school:

mycomancy posted:

It occurred to me that spacetoaster has posted those brands pics and the binder thing before.

I remember being concerned and mildly annoyed, but right now I feel nauseated and very angry.

I posted the ABC thing. The other stuff is old, but I don't think I posted it (maybe posted about it).

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'm not sure what the correct thread to post about it is, but there are a lot of kids (I'm talking single digit ages) with pepe for their computer screen savers, doing the "OK" sign and not meaning OK, and saying "subscribe to pewdiepie".

Honestly the corporate stuff is kinda taking a backseat to the concerns I have over internet poisoning that is occurring in very young children these days.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Nah, it's as hosed as it's been for ~40 years, you're just more aware of it.

Obama was pushing drone strikes, America forgot about genocide during Clinton, and so on. Being a leftist means you get to know why everything is terrible and has been since before your grandparents were born. It's no loving wonder we have a hard time recruiting people, combined with the constant infighting and obscure philosophy fetish.

the worst part is, as soon as you start to learn some of this stuff you'll never be able to forget or stop looking completely, it's like the ring for guilt

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

T-man posted:

Saturday morning/weekday afternoon cartoons were just 30 minute advertisements for toys in the 80's.

I remember in Middle and High School, they would provide us with piles of free book covers that were just covered in advertisements.

My high school had a big all hands assembly for the roll-out of Surge. We got free swag bags, food, and Surge. After the assembly a Surge vending machine was installed in the commons, and the Surge cost significantly less than the other vending machines.

I'm sure a lot more happened in the 90's, I just didn't realize it at the time.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

I'm not sure what the correct thread to post about it is, but there are a lot of kids (I'm talking single digit ages) with pepe for their computer screen savers, doing the "OK" sign and not meaning OK, and saying "subscribe to pewdiepie".

Honestly the corporate stuff is kinda taking a backseat to the concerns I have over internet poisoning that is occurring in very young children these days.

That sounds like too much watching fortnite on twitch. I bet they have no idea how any of those things mean something other than "weird funny gaming thing".

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Cartoons in the 90s and beyond weren’t much better. If the show wasn’t trying to sell toys, there was plenty of advertisements pushing poo poo on kids.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I mean that Rice Krispie ad is faded all to hell so it's at least 10 years old. Hell when I was a kid the chicken fried steak lunch was called "Grandys" even though I'm pretty sure none of my peers has ever been in one of those dumps.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

T-man posted:

Obama was pushing drone strikes, America forgot about genocide during Clinton, and so on. Being a leftist means you get to know why everything is terrible and has been since before your grandparents were born. It's no loving wonder we have a hard time recruiting people, combined with the constant infighting and obscure philosophy fetish.

the worst part is, as soon as you start to learn some of this stuff you'll never be able to forget or stop looking completely, it's like the ring for guilt

Yeah, I guess you're right.

This rage definitely has coincided with me becoming more leftist, going from a center-left Democrat into a full on, trash the system no one is allowed to have over $1 million.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mycomancy posted:

This is called getting woke :(

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Moridin920 posted:

It's cheaper for me to buy a prepaid debit card with my credit card than it is to take a cash advance for the same amount off the credit card. Why? gently caress me that's why.

e: sitting here contemplating a $100 cash advance meanwhile at work today so far I have helped close loans such that the lender got about $250k in fees (not counting the actual interest rate on the loans at all). Just today.

Jose asks me why I'm so angry lol

Careful, sometimes credit cards count purchases like that as advances and apply interest accordingly. And they make that balance the last to be paid off, so if you already carry a balance you may end up paying thousands on it.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

mycomancy posted:

Short answer yes and no, yes it has and no you're becoming more aware (but really yes it is daily)

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

T-man posted:

the cool thing about this is that by being depressed and posting all the time, you contribute less to the economy and thus acclerating the collapse of this evil regime. post harder and do less work, together we can collapse this awful economy

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Shipon posted:

the cool thing about this is that by being depressed and posting all the time, you contribute less to the economy and thus acclerating the collapse of this evil regime. post harder and do less work, together we can collapse this awful economy

I'm a stoner NEET and halfway to never leaving my apartment again. I'm doing my part solider. <o,

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Gáe Bulg

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Shipon posted:

Shitposting to save America. :911:

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Shipon posted:

When I start seeing the logic in things like this, it's usually a good sign that I need to Log Off for a while. I'm gonna go watch some Steven Universe and play Stardew Valley, see y'all next week.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Necronomicon posted:

When I start seeing the logic in things like this, it's usually a good sign that I need to Log Off for a while. I'm gonna go watch some Steven Universe and play Stardew Valley, see y'all next week.

stop supporting stardew imperialism!!!!1

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like there's gotta be a lot of people out there making ironic jokes about guillotines but actually are just kind of waiting for someone to start things off.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Moridin920 posted:

I feel like there's gotta be a lot of people out there making ironic jokes about guillotines but actually are just kind of waiting for someone to start things off.

I feel personally attacked by this post

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Moridin920 posted:

Stop following me.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://www.filmsforaction.org/news...be-industrious/

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Wait, who hasn't already built one in their backyard already?

Edit: poo poo revealed I rent a house and not an apartment, going to go out back and do the needful

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Moridin920 posted:

It's cheaper for me to buy a prepaid debit card with my credit card than it is to take a cash advance for the same amount off the credit card. Why? gently caress me that's why.

e: sitting here contemplating a $100 cash advance meanwhile at work today so far I have helped close loans such that the lender got about $250k in fees (not counting the actual interest rate on the loans at all). Just today.

Jose asks me why I'm so angry lol

Assuming your card allows it the reason why is because they get the fees for processing the purchase and they aren't hit immediately for losing the cash. A cash advance means that the credit card won't get any fees from the processing and they take an immediate hit to a loss of liquid assets; which is why they charge so much for it (and also why they generally severely limit the total amount you can cash advance).

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Moridin920 posted:

Ha, that's a good joke there friend. We wouldn't discuss this in a forum already frequently connected to our friends in federal investigations.

SEND NUDES OF CONSENTING ADULTS

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

World Famous W posted:

Wait, who hasn't already built one in their backyard already?

Edit: poo poo revealed I rent a house and not an apartment, going to go out back and do the needful

Nah it's ok, unless you own an investment property that you rent out to others while renting in a cheaper area yourself. I see this in articles all the time about building equity.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

T-man posted:

Ha, that's a good joke there friend. We wouldn't discuss this in a forum already frequently connected to our friends in federal investigations.

SEND NUDES OF CONSENTING ADULTS

elf pr0n should be legal now :banjo:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I asked my bosses for a new desk chair in the fall of 2017 because mine was poo poo. In March 2018 I hacked up a PVC pipe and used it to prop the thing since the hydraulic was completely shot.

Well last week I started a GoFundMe since they refused to do their job and buy me a chair since "we're getting a remodel this spring summer fall soon"

And I funded myself a new desk chair since my cheap rear end bosses wouldn't do it for me. That's my capitalism success story right there.

Fuckers.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh looks like I'll need a new chair after all, the old one spontaneously combusted while nobody was looking. Please ignore the axe marks and how the smoldering remains somehow got thrown through the CEO's office window, the... firefighters did that, to ventilate the smoke you see

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You should have found another chair in the building and just taken it

That's the power move

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Moridin920 posted:

You should have found another chair in the building and just taken it

That's the power move

Oh someone did that. They went "Len we found you a new chair" and gave me one that was more comfortable to sit on but also had a busted hydraulic. Then they tossed my old one in a dumpster.

In order to get a nonbroken chair I need to wait for someone to point out first because the only free chairs are broken and I'm lowest on the totem pole.

The old boss is just an awful person who likes making people miserable. And even though she isn't out boss she still runs the office because new boss has no spine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Len posted:

Oh someone did that. They went "Len we found you a new chair" and gave me one that was more comfortable to sit on but also had a busted hydraulic. Then they tossed my old one in a dumpster.

In order to get a nonbroken chair I need to wait for someone to point out first because the only free chairs are broken and I'm lowest on the totem pole.

The old boss is just an awful person who likes making people miserable. And even though she isn't out boss she still runs the office because new boss has no spine.

don't take a free chair, take a chair from someone higher on the totem pole, learn2praxis