Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Thereaboos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thank you.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Speaking of all the nazis who play hearts of iron, come play multiplayer hearts of iron with a group that actually bans nazis!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3888422

that mod was made by a goon in our mapgoons discord, come pester them about it and say you love it and maybe it'll get updated

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

That would require entering the blasted hellscape of the damned that is mapgoons tho

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

That would require entering the blasted hellscape of the damned that is mapgoons tho

at the peak of SPQR season no less :hist101:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Is there a reason hoi4 multiplayer always has such a large amount of rules? Surely just saying "last alliance standing wins" and letting everyone tear each other to pieces or backstb their way to the top on their own initiative would be more interesting than dourly trying to roleplay your way through ww2.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

Is there a reason hoi4 multiplayer always has such a large amount of rules? Surely just saying "last alliance standing wins" and letting everyone tear each other to pieces or backstb their way to the top on their own initiative would be more interesting than dourly trying to roleplay your way through ww2.

if you think that thread has a lot of rules in it I have some bad news for you about the 'par for the course' as it were

as far as organized team game vs free for all, well we do play both but ffa's are much better suited for one-off games that last 2-5 hours because everyone ended up being at war with everyone in 1937 and 3 out of 4 of Germany, UK, USSR, and France have been annexed by someone who now has 800+ factories in 1939 while team games let enough pre-war buildup occur that multiple factions can have huge war economies churning out planes and boats and tanks for properly epic-scale military operations and maximum blood for the blood god to keep people coming back every Sunday

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

AnEdgelord posted:

we do team games to keep it modestly structured (tho it's still last alliance wins) and rule out some exploity/not-really-working-right things, like anything to do with coups.

this is not the rule sets from the meta-communities that ban everything past level two or strat bombers altogether or lend leasing fuel or etc

those people are loving dumb

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Hoi4 would work better as a game if peace treaties didn't magically disappear partisians

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Hey look a terrible Let's Play has appeared.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3888542

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

Hoi4 would work better as a game if peace treaties didn't magically disappear partisians
It would own if you could rack up "resistance" points the same way you get legitimacy from holding back and bleeding the enemy before you get capitulated and give occupiers, occupied, and foreign allies more ways of influencing resistance in annexed territories. Czechs took back Prague before either the Allies or Soviets got there and it'd be cool to see poo poo like that.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

AnEdgelord posted:

The Axis is as strong as the Allies and Comintern combined, so "last alliance standing" just means "everyone fight the Axis together or lose separately", and not having any restrictions on war declarations leads to WW2 starting in 1936 since the communist and fascist nations have a lot to gain from early warfare.

No restrictions just leads to shenanigans like "the Axis has declared war in 1936 and the combined Japanese, Italian and German fleet has taken over the channel and did we mention that Italy alone has the same industrial output as the entire Allies faction" which is good for a laugh the first time I guess

There's nothing wrong with your idea as the basis of a game, but Hearts of Iron 4 as it exists today isn't that game

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gort posted:

The Axis is as strong as the Allies and Comintern combined, so "last alliance standing" just means "everyone fight the Axis together or lose separately", and not having any restrictions on war declarations leads to WW2 starting in 1936 since the communist and fascist nations have a lot to gain from early warfare.

No restrictions just leads to shenanigans like "the Axis has declared war in 1936 and the combined Japanese, Italian and German fleet has taken over the channel and did we mention that Italy alone has the same industrial output as the entire Allies faction" which is good for a laugh the first time I guess

There's nothing wrong with your idea as the basis of a game, but Hearts of Iron 4 as it exists today isn't that game

That just sounds like the game's start-state and mechanics are really bad if you need so many house-rules to get around outcomes like that.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Baronjutter posted:

That just sounds like the game's start-state and mechanics are really bad if you need so many house-rules to get around outcomes like that.

I feel like a lot of house rules I see for HoI4 multiplayer are overreactions or contradictory (a game in which strategic bombers are banned for being overpowered next to one where nobody uses strategic bombers because they're so bad) but I can't disagree with your post.

The game's really good, but France is utterly hamstrung, the Axis are way overpowered, non-Axis AI barely works, and fascist countries have no brakes on them at all. I basically only play it for similar reasons to why I play Wolfenstein - shooting super-Nazis is fun.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Are there any mods for MP a la Armageddon for HoI2 that have relatively balanced starts?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

It's not about what does and doesn't work, it's just about the sheer amount of content like unique country specific things and historical events. CK2 and EU4 have had a long, long time to build up "flavour" and it's not reasonable to expect a new game to compare to that.

Rynoto posted:

CK2 is the most fun Pdox game precisely because it went full 'screw history' and jumped straight off the deep end.

I think CK2 was fun right out of the box because complex systems interacting (characters, titles and claims) makes for more interesting emergent narrative. I was bored by EU4 on release because of the emphasis on mana, although I'm sure it was more fun in multiplayer because mana costs are an easier balance problem to solve.

Average Bear posted:

Why shouldn't people expect more from this game than vanilla eu4 and ck2? Did everything they learn about game design get reset? Did they delete all the libraries that made the macro builder convenient and useful? There's two or three entire bodies of work they could have just lifted from and didn't.

I think this is true in a broad sense but new games still need to be built from the ground up.

Average Bear posted:

How about stuff the game didn't need. Johan loves his mana systems, I know, but the game doesn't need it at all. Research speeds are linked to the skill of your cabinet. "Stability" is a misnomer bonus that never drops below 3. Actual political stability can be balanced within the characters that run the country. Why even have claim fabrication at all? There are two other CBs to choose from. Expansion should be linked to the court's desire to invest in it, not waiting for enough magic points to tick up.

Inventions? Hey, there's something else we could tie to characters. It's the age of the polymath. Omens? Just scrap it and do it over. They're too powerful and you can run them forever without worry about cost. Powerful character getting too disloyal? Spend 25 points to make him forget about it. Ambitions and personality, they all yield to 25 scrolls.

I think point systems really weigh the game down. They need to take more cues from CK2 and less from EU4.

👍

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Enjoy posted:

I think CK2 was fun right out of the box because complex systems interacting (characters, titles and claims) makes for more interesting emergent narrative. I was bored by EU4 on release because of the emphasis on mana, although I'm sure it was more fun in multiplayer because mana costs are an easier balance problem to solve.

EU4 and CK2 were both fun for me on release, but I did play a fair handful of MP EU4. Honestly I haven't felt like CK2 had a "bad" period, though I feel like the weird expansion which added the Dark Wraiths from Dark Souls was..weird.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

The bad period was sometime around Rajas when the game slowed to a crawl.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Baron Porkface posted:

The bad period was sometime around Rajas when the game slowed to a crawl.

That was because the Byzantines had their Department of Castration constantly checking every other person in the world, alive or dead, to see if they could be castrated.

Probably my favorite patch note that I've ever read.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Don Gato posted:

That was because the Byzantines had their Department of Castration constantly checking every other person in the world, alive or dead, to see if they could be castrated.

Probably my favorite patch note that I've ever read.

Which retroactively makes it the Best Period.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Baronjutter posted:

eh. To a degree, yes, but it's more that a player naturally can exploit the poo poo out of something, particularly HoI where there isn't a lot of random variables floating around. EU4 has had plenty of examples of exploity strats to do, usually associated with the world conquest cheevos and etc, just the game is across a longer timeframe so you can deal with it some. (and, ofc, your neighbors all being players in the case of a MP game)

there are some fair share of bad stuff in hoi tho

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
How does Vicky multigames work? Everybody just picking their respective Great Powers and spend the time until 1870 scowling at each other as industry ticks up? WW1 kicking off in 1836?

e: some rear end in a top hat sphering China off the bat and running the world economy into the ground?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Nosfereefer posted:

How does Vicky multigames work? Everybody just picking their respective Great Powers and spend the time until 1870 scowling at each other as industry ticks up? WW1 kicking off in 1836?

e: some rear end in a top hat sphering China off the bat and running the world economy into the ground?

The UK playing an RTS as the world police as everyone else tries to sneak as much Imperialism in as possible without risking their wrath

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

A very, very patient China player waiting until they westernize and then going Deng Xiaoping on everyone's rear end

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Nosfereefer posted:

I played France in an MP game once, got blindsided by Prussia who then formed NGF (but not yet Germany!), spammed only military techs, and took Alsace-Lorraine back in the peace. All before 1860.

Anything is possible if you get angry at the Germans enough.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Nosfereefer posted:

Every one of those things and more, simultaneously and at all times.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

dont forget the inevitable rehost when someone playing an italian minor is overthrown by rebels who then form italy for them for free

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
You can just day one break the world economy by fiddling with your trade settings if you really want to

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
I played as UK once drunk in a multiplayer game. I was told the day after it was the most historically accurate UK player they've had.

"OI FRANCE...."
"Yes?"
"Watcha doin in Greece huh?"
"I am helping the Greek player against the Otto..."
"Did you ask me?"
"What?"
"Did you ask me for loving permission?"
"Eh... no?"

*popup that UK is mobilizing"
*France peaces out*

"loving thought so"

Also imaging a lot of slurring speech of a Swede trying to imitate cockney accent. Boy I would be up for a Vicky 2 game again. Is MapGoons organizing a Vicky 2 game any time soon?

Groogy fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 3, 2019

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Morrow posted:

Are there any mods for MP a la Armageddon for HoI2 that have relatively balanced starts?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=946684259
Apres Moi le Deluge is probably the closest thing to that where France is the world's super power and the rest of the world is split up into several theatres that are balkanized along roughly balanced lines.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=851283534
Honorable Mention to the 1984 Mod which is an almost perfectly even matchup of "Oceania", "Eurasia", and "Eastasia" going at it with a handful of independent minors to gobble up as appetizer before the main event. Sadly it's not been updated for Man the Guns

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Last I checked apres moi was updated minus the new naval stuff, like the naval terrain. And yeah I'll update 1984 eventually.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

420 Gank Mid posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=946684259
Apres Moi le Deluge is probably the closest thing to that where France is the world's super power and the rest of the world is split up into several theatres that are balkanized along roughly balanced lines.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=851283534
Honorable Mention to the 1984 Mod which is an almost perfectly even matchup of "Oceania", "Eurasia", and "Eastasia" going at it with a handful of independent minors to gobble up as appetizer before the main event. Sadly it's not been updated for Man the Guns

I'd like to see a HOI4 ~Paradox Best Hits~ mod, where the countries are things like Byzantium, Al Andalus, Aztecs, Prussia, Ryukyu, etc. Roughly even starts.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I have Apres Moi: it seemed like it didn't need to be updated for MtG because it was playable immediately.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

bees everywhere posted:

Last I checked apres moi was updated minus the new naval stuff, like the naval terrain. And yeah I'll update 1984 eventually.

Every time I think about the new naval tech changes I deflate like a balloon, I don't know how Archangel coped implementing it

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Groogy posted:

Also imaging a lot of slurring speech of a Swede trying to imitate cockney accent. Boy I would be up for a Vicky 2 game again. Is MapGoons organizing a Vicky 2 game any time soon?

The cowards replaced the V2 slot with some EU4 mod. I've been saying we should do a Cold War/HFM Divergences game for a minute tho.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Fintilgin posted:

I'd like to see a HOI4 ~Paradox Best Hits~ mod, where the countries are things like Byzantium, Al Andalus, Aztecs, Prussia, Ryukyu, etc. Roughly even starts.

I heard Prussia will be the next DLC character in Smash.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

aqu posted:

I heard Prussia will be the next DLC character in Smash.

Smash has the thing where characters can have multiple color schemes, right?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
If Prussia is not piss yellow then i will boycott the game

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Groogy posted:

Prussian Gru, a minion yellow colour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Groogy posted:

Says the guy who just released a game where the apparently actually existing state of Pissuria is a dumb grey colour :colbert: