Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Snowy posted:

The endgame is getting rid of all musical instruments

And songs

And melody

*me listening to pulse demon with all the other nerds at the cafe*
that's the good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
When I saw Zoroaster they actually ended their set with improved noise. Was pretty rad.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

First Sunn in a cave, then tonight at Brooklyn Steel. That was some good poo poo, the sound was really on point imo. And the smoke machines were way better this time, do they have a smoke choreographer? And when is Werner Herzog making the concert film?

Also I had a chance to buy more merch presents 👍🏼

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Nativity In Black posted:

When I saw Zoroaster they actually ended their set with improved noise. Was pretty rad.

I miss Zoroaster.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Nativity In Black posted:

alternatively you can just be like Halo and make improvised almost noise sludge to begin with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4uEnlOCu4c

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I don't know which thread is best suited for it, but I saw Perturbator yesterday (it was just OK I thought) with Gost as the opener. I admit I only briefly listed to one of Gost's songs before going and figured it'd be this kind of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiGFAc8a2gg

You know, darksynth / what if vapourwave but grimdark? And I suppose it was at times, but you also get this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGh4FqwY5Zo&t=97s

(sorry for the potato video)

What I'm saying is see if you can catch him (them?) live, it was excellent.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://pitchfork.com/news/adult-swim-announces-new-metal-comp-ft-sunn-o-baroness-and-more/

Oh hell yeah

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Speaking of hell yeah im getting to see Sunn for a surprising 3rd time in nine days or so. Last night I noticed on the tour shirt that they’re coming back to Saint Vitus on Monday, but I assumed that if it was on the shirt they already sold out, it’s like 200 capacity. But no they went on sale today and my friend was quick on the draw so gently caress it why not see em again.

They had five members for the big shows but this should just be the two of em like in Philly. Fuckin yeah!

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I really thought after the cave I would be fully sated but I'm probably still gonna go to the Sunnday show in DC (partially to get a crack at the merch line this time)

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Just got back from Sunn o))) :psyboom:

They played for like 2 hours, it went from strange to punishing to profound.

Was prob the loudest show I've ever been to. with earplugs it was bordering on uncomfortably loud, I pity the people who came unprepared.

And holy gently caress the lights and fog!

Really enjoyed it, 5/5 would see again.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Slothful Bong posted:

Was prob the loudest show I've ever been to. with earplugs it was bordering on uncomfortably loud, I pity the people who came unprepared.

What are the odds of someone actually coming unprepared to a Sunn show?

I have a deaf coworker and I'd love to bring him along to see Sunn when they come by these shores again, if just to learn how it works for him.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I'm sounding very early 30s rn but I definitely saw a lot of young guys who are going to live forever unplugged in the cave. I assume this is less decibel-related, but we also saw a guy fall down ten minutes into the show, hit his head on the rock floor, and have something of a fencing response (we were also thinking seizure at first but I think that's less likely). Fortunately security took care of him asap, hope he's alright! It's a long way to travel just to end up in a backwoods ER.

e: there was also a cat curled in a ball with his head between his knees and someone lying beach chair style on the floor (getting a sunntan ha) but they were fine just vibing

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 27, 2019

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
We didn't have anyone pass out or anything at the show, but I did see a handful of people walk out with pained faces throughout the set, and my buddy kept on having to take breaks because his foam ear plugs weren't enough.

The encore was a cool extra thing too!

Half the crowd left before it, but I recalled someone here mentioning an encore at a prior show, so we stuck around and got another 20-30 minutes of sound massage.

I'm definitely gonna catch them again any time they play nearby, as a whole the experience was more ritual than concert, and I'd love to just find a spot to sit and close my eyes and absorb the vibrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Slothful Bong posted:

my buddy kept on having to take breaks because his foam ear plugs weren't enough.

I’m surprised, the foam plugs usually have better dB reduction than a lot of the more expensive ones

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
With "Bong Mountain" being released by "The Wizard of Bong Mountain" which contains one riff being repeated for about an hour and twenty minutes, I'm afraid that the genre has reached its peak, everyone must now go home. Sorry. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzIe415YegE

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Zoben posted:

With "Bong Mountain" being released by "The Wizard of Bong Mountain" which contains one riff being repeated for about an hour and twenty minutes, I'm afraid that the genre has reached its peak, everyone must now go home. Sorry. :(

call me when they do one riff for four hours and twenty minutes

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Snowy posted:

I’m surprised, the foam plugs usually have better dB reduction than a lot of the more expensive ones

what

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

oh sorry... I SAID THE FOAM ONES HAVE GOOD DECIBEL REDUCTION, THEY JUST DONT HAVE THE FLAT RESPONSE LIKE MORE EXPENSIVE EARPLUGS

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Zoben posted:

I thought this was a “SDS songs all sound the same” post but holy poo poo it’s literally one riff for the whole thing.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ingmar terdman posted:

call me when they do one riff for four hours and twenty minutes

Yeah they really dropped the bong on that one

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

butros posted:

I thought this was a “SDS songs all sound the same” post but holy poo poo it’s literally one riff for the whole thing.

Yep. The drums change though! It's funny how the song has "sections" on the Bandcamp link. If this ain't some kinda meta-parody-satire horseshit like the kids do these days, then I just don't know what's what https://thewizardofbongmountain.bandcamp.com/releases

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

Slothful Bong posted:

Brooklyn Steel, hell yes it was :hfive:

Did you see the dude in the front row head banging.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Less Claypool posted:

Did you see the dude in the front row head banging.

Yes I was impressed by how long he kept that going

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i got some $4 reusable earplugs from lowes and they are great for the extremely cheap price imo

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Parachute posted:

i got some $4 reusable earplugs from lowes and they are great for the extremely cheap price imo

ill probably never buy etymotics again if these work well drat $4

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Sunn in DC was very good. Cool Moog-centric encore after 60% of the place had cleared out

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

emdash posted:

Sunn in DC was very good. Cool Moog-centric encore after 60% of the place had cleared out

Weirdly underattended right? The attrition was high but it felt very sparse out of the gate. I ended up against the stage by the end, watching empty beers vibrate across the floor. I also got there early for merch but really just in time to see the smoke detectors go off haha

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ingmar terdman posted:

watching empty beers vibrate across the floor.

Thread title please. What a beautiful phrase.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Ingmar terdman posted:

Weirdly underattended right? The attrition was high but it felt very sparse out of the gate. I ended up against the stage by the end, watching empty beers vibrate across the floor. I also got there early for merch but really just in time to see the smoke detectors go off haha

That's true, it was nowhere near sold out. I think they definitely had better turnout for the 9:30 show two years ago

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Sunn about to go on

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Ingmar terdman posted:

The Howard Theatre is a weird venue that, like five years after reopening, is trying to figure out it's niche and book artists.

It's turned mostly into hip hop/rnb artists but every so often they'll get a metal show. But it's so far off the radar for metal fans to track as a venue it's always undersold.

A friend saw Symphony X there a few years ago and said there was maybe 20 or so people there

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ingmar terdman posted:

That's a bummer for the band but still sounds like a cool show to be at. Did they run the fog machines even harder to "fill" the space?

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Snowy posted:

Sunn about to go on

Holy poo poo! Is he wearing a Confessor shirt?!?!?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Shakenbaker posted:

That's a bummer for the band but still sounds like a cool show to be at. Did they run the fog machines even harder to "fill" the space?

I don't know about that, but I couldn't see the band for most of the show so whatever they were doing, it worked

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Shakenbaker posted:

It was much more effective than in the cave. Occasionally there would be a break in the fog and you would get a clear view, but even better was when from your point of view, you see nothing but smoke and color and then a robed figure with a guitar emerges from the ether to hit a chord. And as you can see below, we ended up close enough to see the fog machines:

edit:

SgtScruffy posted:

The Howard Theatre is a weird venue that, like five years after reopening, is trying to figure out it's niche and book artists.

It's turned mostly into hip hop/rnb artists but every so often they'll get a metal show. But it's so far off the radar for metal fans to track as a venue it's always undersold.

A friend saw Symphony X there a few years ago and said there was maybe 20 or so people there

That scans, it was my first time there after five years of living here, and the only other metal thing I can remember coming through was Uncle Acid a few years back. The 930 Club show was better attended and they shook the leftover confetti from the previous week's Flaming Lips show out of the rafters

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 30, 2019

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
too bad Jaxx isn't still open...

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ingmar terdman posted:

It was much more effective than in the cave. Occasionally there would be a break in the fog and you would get a clear view, but even better was when from your point of view, you see nothing but smoke and color and then a robed figure with a guitar emerges from the ether to hit a chord. And as you can see below, we ended up close enough to see the fog machines:

That pink picture rules. Bottom picture makes me think of Boris backlighting their own impressive clouds so that it was like you had your hi-beams on in heavy fog.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
There was a giant rear end fan on the ceiling in Brooklyn that was just throwing the fog directly on the people below It looked really funny from the balcony because no one really noticed.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 1, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This new Sunn album is like being wrapped in a heated drone doom blanket and I'm digging it! :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

So I pulled off the Sunn hat trick this tour. First flew down for the cave, then saw them at Brooklyn Steel. Then I noticed on the tour shirt that for the last show of the first leg they were coming back to nyc for a show at Saint Vitus with is about a tenth the size of Brooklyn steel. Also it was marked as a Grimmrobe/Shoshin show, where it’s the two of them doing old stuff and whatever else they want I guess.

I was just like whelp that would have been amazing but there’s no way there’s tickets for that left.

Then the next morning a friend texts that tickets go on sale in a couple minutes, do I want one? gently caress yeah I do and he was quick on the draw which was lucky because they sold out in a minute or so.

So a couple days later I’m squeezing into my favorite spot at Vitus, all the way front and to the side. There was no opener, just a wall of amps that wrapped around the stage, the only way they’d fit.

Also a few fender twin reverbs practically hanging off the sides for good measure, one of which became my armrest.

Unsung hero, the smoke machine maintenance man

Tuning up a smidge

Aww poo poo here we go...

I was over by Greg and luckily the only smoke machine was on the other side so while it was still a cloud half the time, I got to really watch how much they’re playing to each other and coordinating with the hands in the air and whatnot.

The volume was on another level from those other shows. I used foam instead of my etymotics but could tell that wasn’t even enough. I think the sound just going through my skull was hurting my eardrums. My vision went weird a few times when they hit massive blasts.

If anyone knows how to embed this let me know, or just click for a gif that gives an idea of volume: https://imgur.com/a/NWm0RZd

Greg was chugging some wine of course, and passed the bottle forward so I got a few good chugs before passing it along.

Wine gif: https://imgur.com/a/xoVzAxd

After an hour and a half of insane pummeling different from that I’d seen at the other shows the guys get a massive roar going as a finale, just an amazing crumbling avalanche of sound. Greg walks up with his guitar raised over his head, then he somehow hooks the headstock into the PA speaker overhead and lets it hang there resonating before leaving the stage.

(I have a few more fun gifs here but gently caress I wanted to embed so oh well)

My ears are still a little hosed which sucks because I already have tinnitus from 30 something years of shows so that didn’t help. It loving ruled though so there’s that. And what a great way to end a three show run with something completely different.

tldr: it’s loud