Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I would never have played through the Fatal Frame series if I hadn't done it with a room full of friends talking to each other about it and screaming out at appropriately scary moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Oh also having a group of friends over to argue and add terrible suggestions is objectively the best way to play Until Dawn

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I have fond memories of a bunch of my friends screaming at me while I was trying to navigate that fog maze in Silent Hill 3 with the non-tank controls so I'd change direction every time the camera cut.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I play horror games on my own in the dark

Just like everything else

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
People should play remothered so they can hear an old man go "e i e i o" in a very confused attempt to be scary.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The only "horror" game I had an audience for was Thief: The Dark Project. It was pretty spooky at times, to be fair, and one my friends was tense enough that he literally jumped when my cat skipped onto his lap.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The premise of Remothered is that if you are AFAB and are forced to take testosterone pills, you will become so powerful that you can no longer be harmed with hand-to-hand weapons

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
The real question is which did it worse? NightCry or Remothered? I mean, Remothered can be given the excuse that it pretty much started out as a fan project to make a 3D remake of the first Clock Tower and then they got a cease and desist, so they had to make up their own story, but NightCry was the original Clock Tower designer just doing what he did for the original Clock Tower but in 3D....and it doesn't work at all.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

NightCry is horrendous on all levels. It's not as weird and fun as Clock Tower and it's pretty drat ugly next to Remothered. I think it's comparable to Telltale's Jurassic Park in quality.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010
NightCry is way worse than Remothered in almost every way, but it is a lot funnier.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
NightCry is super flawed and weird and not good but I'll be damned if I didn't find it charming in how stupid and dumb everything was.

Like, I still legitimately do not understand how some of the stuff that happened in that game actually happened or how you were meant to piece it together.

I'd say that this is how they compare to one another. Not gonna dive too deeply into spoiler territory, just talking about some surface level stuff.

Remothered is a game with a bafflingly dumb story and the game manages to be tense and scary but also just kind of laughable and, towards the end, just bad.

NightCry is a game with a baffling story outright because so much of it goes unexplained and there are parts that seem to just happen without any explanation whatsoever but I'd argue that the outright bad parts of NightCry are bad in a more interesting and charming way than the bad parts of Remothered which are sometimes entertainingly bad (world's longest death scene lol) but also tilt towards just being uncomfortably bad (most of the revelations regarding the plot).

I'd say they are both like horror exploitation films, but where Remothered is clearly inspired by Clock Tower but not necessarily the material that Clock Tower itself pulled from, NightCry has some allusions to Clock Tower in terms of its format and some relatively minor plot beats (ie the stalker being a thing that wields scissors) but takes far more inspiration from what Clock Tower pulled inspiration from, the Giallo genre, bloody, sometimes nonsensical Italian horror/thriller films.

I'm not really sure how else to put this so I apologize for the bad comparison I'm going to make.

If the original Clock Tower games were the original trilogy of Star Wars, then the prequel trilogy would be NightCry and the new trilogy would be Remothered. This isn't a statement on their quality, just a statement of how you can best understand what the games are like. One is something made by the original creator who may or may not know what the hell they were doing and the other is made by fans who may or may not know what the hell they were doing depending on whoever you ask at the time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

GUI posted:

SuperGreatFriend did a playthrough of Remothered.

discworld is all I read posted:

The real question is which did it worse? NightCry or Remothered?
I quit after video 2 of 8 and I regret watching even as much of that as I just did. Nightcry is merely a bad game. Remothered is a creepy game, and not in the way horror is supposed to be creepy.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Play more Dreadout

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The MC of Remothered being Jodie Foster makes total sense now, considering Clock Tower and Jennifer Connely.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
NightCry is a bad game but it's way more charming than Remothered, which definitely plays very "fangameish".

al-azad
May 28, 2009

So Madonna is responsible for the greatest horror video game. What hasn't this woman done?

https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/1111006554549944320

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Aged gracefully.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Really nice reminder how good that video (and most of Ray of Light) was

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

al-azad posted:

So Madonna is responsible for the greatest horror video game. What hasn't this woman done?

Oh I figured this would have been responsible for Siren but I see the resemblance

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

al-azad posted:

Directed that video for one.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Looks like the studio that made Echo is going out of business now:
https://twitter.com/theUltraUltra/status/1125687744443899905

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd never heard of Echo until I saw that and it looks pretty cool :(

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Sakurazuka posted:

I'd never heard of Echo until I saw that and it looks pretty cool :(

Yeah I would guess poor publicity for Echo is why this is happening. I think people liked it enough, but not enough people heard about it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Echo sounds pretty great in an experimental kind of way. Not necessarily like much of a game, but certainly like one of those things that are worth playing just for the unique experience of it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I feel like the game Echo is way too expensive for what it offers. I don't know the price on PC but on ps4 it's $25 and I don't even remember ever seeing it on sale.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's the same on PC, I wishlisted it when it came out and I never picked it up because what's presented in the screenshots and videos doesn't look worth the price. There was also other things on sale I picked up in stead whenever it dropped in price. Apparently the game is getting a film adaptation though so I guess it reached someone big enough to want to make a film out of it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah the only reason I own a copy of echo is I think I splurged on my wishlist when I had some extra income.

I still need to try and get back to the game. At least just finish the story. That's where the real interesting part of the game is I think.

Edit: wonder if this game will be delisted. Someone else published it right?

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 8, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
They said it’d be available for purchase after the studio’s dissolution.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Bogart posted:

They said it’d be available for purchase after the studio’s dissolution.

It seems like a good idea. I mean, who wouldn't want to keep getting checks on a game they've already made? It doesn't help anyone for it to drop off steam.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Figured thats the case. Usually a game is only delisted when they lose the license to some copyrighted property in the game.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I liked it plenty but yeah that price tag will ward people off. If this remains up after they dissolve they really should start giving discounts on it. 10 bux off might make it more enticing for some.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
You talk about Remothered and Night Cry and I'm wondering if there's a market for incomprehensible horror. And not "You cannot comprehend the monster's true form", but more like there is no rules to the bad place and you can enter into a soap opera right out of early Twin Peaks with a group of killers as every member of the cast or the vending machine that eats people at the drop of a hat. You can piece together elements of a plot that could be there if you want, but that ain't helping you here, buddy.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Crabtree posted:

You talk about Remothered and Night Cry and I'm wondering if there's a market for incomprehensible horror. And not "You cannot comprehend the monster's true form", but more like there is no rules to the bad place and you can enter into a soap opera right out of early Twin Peaks with a group of killers as every member of the cast or the vending machine that eats people at the drop of a hat. You can piece together elements of a plot that could be there if you want, but that ain't helping you here, buddy.

I feel like lakeview cabin collection is what you're looking for. It most definitely has a definable plot, but the definable plot involves a lot of effort being put forth and also involves a variety of things from hillbilly cannibals to cursed video games to evil alien fetus monster things to apocalyptic demon summoning rituals to sea witch ghosts to the repeated reincarnation of some guy to the game's hub area secretly being part of the story to ritualistic incest to god I just don't even know, those games are just *weird* and they really went out of their way to make each part weird in a different way.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
I think Crabtree is more referring to surreal horror in a shifting perspective of reality, kind of like what The Evil Within did with some of the level transitions where things just completely change right in front of you (which also foreshadow what's really going on but I digress). LCC isn't incomprehensible horror at all, it's just very obtuse in multiple ways* AND much like Dark Souls you'll need to put all the plot details you encounter together yourself if you want to actually understand what's going on.

*It wouldn't be the first game where the low-pixel graphics make the label-less objects so chunky that you might have trouble figuring out what they are (that goes back to the Atari/Colecovision era), and what exactly you can or should do with them (that was a thing with graphic adventures), nor the first to have both real-time events firmly handcuffed to trial-and-error gameplay, with the 2nd "movie" throwing in randomized locations into the mix on top of it all. It does ALL of that, simultaneously, and then throws in some extra gameplay curveballs unique to each entry AND as said you'll have to piece the plots together all by yourself. That is, if you have the time and patience to do it because LCC is a very difficult game if you just sit down and play it.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Crabtree posted:

Too Many Cooks: The Game

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

You talk about Remothered and Night Cry and I'm wondering if there's a market for incomprehensible horror.
Most people tend to prefer stories that they can understand on some level, even if they aren't very good, so I think whatever market exists for this is fairly limited. You're most likely to find that kind of thing in free Flash or RPGmaker games, or the stuff they sell over on itch.io.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Agent Escalus posted:

I think Crabtree is more referring to surreal horror in a shifting perspective of reality, kind of like what The Evil Within did with some of the level transitions where things just completely change right in front of you (which also foreshadow what's really going on but I digress). LCC isn't incomprehensible horror at all, it's just very obtuse in multiple ways* AND much like Dark Souls you'll need to put all the plot details you encounter together yourself if you want to actually understand what's going on.

*It wouldn't be the first game where the low-pixel graphics make the label-less objects so chunky that you might have trouble figuring out what they are (that goes back to the Atari/Colecovision era), and what exactly you can or should do with them (that was a thing with graphic adventures), nor the first to have both real-time events firmly handcuffed to trial-and-error gameplay, with the 2nd "movie" throwing in randomized locations into the mix on top of it all. It does ALL of that, simultaneously, and then throws in some extra gameplay curveballs unique to each entry AND as said you'll have to piece the plots together all by yourself. That is, if you have the time and patience to do it because LCC is a very difficult game if you just sit down and play it.

The actual theme and aesthetic changes between each game so much that I think it qualifies for that because it's kind of hard to mash that mess of stuff together into something coherent. There's a plot summary out on the steam forums but even then someone else made their own plot summary to counter it because of how poorly certain pieces of the game fit together and how much of the game seemed to revolve around just doing stuff just to do stuff and putting stuff in to try to tie it all together even if it didn't actually gel well with the rest of the series.

e: and even then, there are definitely lots of things that you can do that you wouldn't really know how to do because of how obtuse some of it is and how much they relied on the community to work together for certain stuff (especially uhhh lakeview cabin 5 I think, the Halloween-inspired one)

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 9, 2019

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Crabtree posted:

Absolutely yes there is, that poo poo worked out great for Deadly Premonition and Silent Hill 2*

*yes I am aware SH2 had a plot but that was revealed way later into the game, long after I was pulling light bulbs from tin cans and running from a guy with a geometrically shaped head

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's a bit ironic, but I think Deadly Premonition and Silent Hill 2 are way too coherent to count for this. I mean, when you get right down to it, they both have plots that are really very straightforward. Sure, there are parts where you speculate and they're heavier on atmosphere than on explanations, but if you look at it just at face value, everything is pretty easy to follow. There isn't really a lot of random craziness or absurdity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Cardiovorax posted:

It's a bit ironic, but I think Deadly Premonition and Silent Hill 2 are way too coherent to count for this. I mean, when you get right down to it, they both have plots that are really very straightforward. Sure, there are parts where you speculate and they're heavier on atmosphere than on explanations, but if you look at it just at face value, everything is pretty easy to follow. There isn't really a lot of random craziness or absurdity.

OK, well, NightCry and Remothered, the points of comparison that Crabtree posted both also have pretty straightforward plots on some level. I think most games that you end up selling will have something that looks an awful lot like a plot; the surreal part will be how far into strangeness you go away from that. At no point does either have a vending machine eating someone, but even in NightCry it's just supposed to be AFAIK someone behind the machine grabbing and pulling victims into it, which, while ridiculous, is also a thing you like what you'd find in an awful lot of trashy horror movies.