Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I just called my girlfriend sonic right before saying I love you by accident

Or was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Mikedawson posted:

That's pretty much what the situation with the comics is and those are pretty good, fwiw.

Yeah that's what i mean, between the comics, sonic mania, and the various animations, we've seen what happens when people who love the series get to work on it. and this is definitely not it

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

https://twitter.com/edwardpun1/status/1123261756048953344?s=21

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
It's really funny to me how sonic looks like a tiny man in a sonic costume.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

He seriously looks like something out of one of those intentionally lovely ironic Sonic fangames.

Why bother to try and give him those proportions? He's a loving blue anthropomorphic hedgehog. Let him be a cartoon. And they gave him impossible anime eyes anyway!

Oh, and if he has tiny quills now, what exactly are his head spikes? Are they flesh? Does his skull grow that way?

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 30, 2019

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You and I have very different opinions because that was the moment where I literally said "gently caress you" out loud to no one.

I laughed because its lame as gently caress. The trailer is exactly what someone trying to do a parody of cgi adaptation movie would come up with and it owns.

I can’t loving wait for the illumination Mario movie.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

DrManiac posted:

I can’t loving wait for the illumination Mario movie.

Eh that will probably be just fine. Illumination makes safe, unobjectionable stuff for the most part. The worst part about them is their over-reliance on the minions. They're not riding a wave of literal garbage like Sony or anything.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
I love how they literally only use the parts of gangsta's paradise that only mention the song's title because the song is actually about how awful and terrible it is the be a Gangster.

Wait.

quote:

As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
I take a look at my life and realize there's nothin' left
‘Cause I've been blastin' and laughin' so long
That even my momma thinks that my mind is gone

quote:

Too much television watching, got me chasing dreams
I'm a educated fool with money on my mind

quote:

You better watch how you talkin' and where you walkin'
Or you and your homies might be lined in chalk
I really hate to trip, but I gotta go fast, fool!
I think the song now officially doubles as a metaphor for being a sonic fan in 2019.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's hilarious that they're going cheap 1980s live-action cash-in movie with it, like Masters of the Universe

Yeah, don't show us the character in their interesting world

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Still a better story than Sonic 06

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfNIA2MR79E

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

sharrrk posted:

Yeah that's what i mean, between the comics, sonic mania, and the various animations, we've seen what happens when people who love the series get to work on it. and this is definitely not it

To be fair, there's a lot of people who love Sonic that are working on it, just not in a position to make high level creative choices.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

At the very least, the tone would've felt better.

This doesn't fix the problem of Sonic's design though.

Meanwhile Detective Pikachu over here not only is doing the designs right but every single trailer they've released has had perfect music choices

edit:

https://twitter.com/AimeeUeda/status/1123326781002481664

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mean.
Everyone’s talking about Sonic now so I guess that’s something

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The White Dragon posted:

i dunno about that man. my impression of it is lovely guardians of the galaxy except with anthro uncanny valley sonic that'll probably scare kids. prepare for a 90 minute journey of the writers projecting their daddy issues and one liners that sound great in a trailer

To be fair, when I watched the trailer, the first thing I thought of was a girl at work talking about how her little boy liked Hotel Transylvania 3 alot. And he'd probably like this without knowing Sonic or anything.

Also I'm probably going to watch this, and be pretty optimistic about it. I just won't like most of the filler scenes. Mainly because they'll just have jokes that won't be great. But the machine stuff in the trailer seemed pretty faithful, as far as what they could realistically do translating the games' action to a movie.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Augus posted:

I mean.
Everyone’s talking about Sonic now so I guess that’s something

So Sonic 06 was actually good!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So Sonic 06 was actually good!

I mean, it ended up being in the best hits collection for both the 360 and PS3, so the joke was on us in the end, there

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

True, but later Sega actually removed it from digital stores which is pretty funny.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

yeah, but they made their money, and all the videos ripping on it and using memes from it gets used to grow the brand.

Again: joke's on us

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm pretty sure they would have preferred to release an actual good game that sold even better than guaranteed Christmas present from grandma sales just for having the name Sonic on it.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Oh man are we doing unironic dril "there's zero difference between good and bad things"

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Sonic is the icon of the 2020s

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Eggman is the smartest guy around and he knows it, makes sure you know it, and takes great pleasure in being a theatrical ham. He finds great delight in being himself and doing his mad science, and his huge ego comes crashing down into throwing temper tantrums. He’s a big brilliant baby. Carey seems to be doing a version of that, so it’s a valid Eggman.

There’s no bad Eggmen, and looks like that much will stay true.

Sonic’s voice sounds like Sonic, and his dialogues give isn’t great writing but it’s the right tone.

This movie may contain 5 even, dare one dream, up to 9 minutes of content that could be described as enjoyable. That’s more than I expected. But everything else is hell.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Negrostrike posted:

Sonico is the icon of the 2020s

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SjUi7UY3fg

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

God drat.

Botman
Mar 3, 2006
DASH DASH DASH!!!!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Eh that will probably be just fine. Illumination makes safe, unobjectionable stuff for the most part. The worst part about them is their over-reliance on the minions. They're not riding a wave of literal garbage like Sony or anything.

Plus, I think NoJ/Miyamoto managed to get a much better contract where they have much more direct creative control over the project and a possible bailout clause after getting burned by the Mario movie.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I can't believe we finally have a bad Eggman and that it's Jim Carey.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

amazing

play it sped up and you get a nice song for a fangame

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

I can't believe we finally have a bad Eggman and that it's Jim Carey.

Faithlessness!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WilliamAnderson posted:

amazing

play it sped up and you get a nice song for a fangame

At 1.25x it's something that could perfectly replace Cassino Night or Spring Yard.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Botman posted:

Plus, I think NoJ/Miyamoto managed to get a much better contract where they have much more direct creative control over the project and a possible bailout clause after getting burned by the Mario movie.

Let's not get too crazy. It's still Illumination, and they are incapable of creating anything above "adequate".

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://twitter.com/sonicscanf/status/1123321422556934151

Ah, you are now cursed with knowledge, too.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My friend sent me that. What it doesn't say is that there is a sharp birth increase 9 months after a major blackout. So Sonic gives as much as he takes.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Elentor posted:

At 1.25x it's something that could perfectly replace Cassino Night or Spring Yard.

It's from the PAL version.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

My friend sent me that. What it doesn't say is that there is a sharp birth increase 9 months after a major blackout. So Sonic gives as much as he takes.

And to think that everyone was saying it was Eggman who fucks.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Given the general fandom, I give it five years max before some team of fans gets a pirate copy and does this to it frame by frame.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Calaveron posted:

I mean
It's Sonic. It's not high art or anything like that. That was segas issue starting with Adventure by going all in on the seriousness with the little girl who died of space aids and Sonic being the cause of the apocalypse because he didn't make out with the human lady fast enough. It wasn't until Unleashed when they went what the gently caress are we doing these are cartoon animals and decided to just be goofy like this movie appears to be
Adventure 2 did nothing wrong

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ventana posted:

Adventure 2 did nothing wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I saw this so now you all have to.

https://twitter.com/Namatnieks/status/1123512730630094848?s=19