Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A fat pink mast cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Bran is put upon the Iron Throne as King and everybody leaves the room except Arya. Bran stabs her in the back. She asks "Why..." as she lays dying...

"The Night King didn't come to kill me. He came to take me home."
Bran's eyes turn blue
"Hail to the King."
*Thriller plays*
*zombies break out of the ground*

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Bronn is going to stalk Tyrion and Jamie and setup to snipe them with the crossbow. As he pulls the trigger, the camera shows a would-be assassin falling over right behind them in a SHOCKING TWIST to pull on the heartstrings of the audience. You see, Bronn was a good guy all along even if he is a cutthroat rogue. Tyrion offers Bronn a lot of money to fight for them and he acquiesces with a witty remark. Jamie says something witty too but Bronn says something even WITTIER. Compilation videos are posted to youtube for this scene's reaction.

You loving know I'm right.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

I am so tired of all
these throne wars

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Gatts posted:

Bran is put upon the Iron Throne as King and everybody leaves the room except Arya. Bran stabs her in the back. She asks "Why..." as she lays dying...

"The Night King didn't come to kill me. He came to take me home."
Bran's eyes turn blue
"Hail to the King, baby."

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Nerses IV posted:

People just standing there and allowing themselves to be killed is like 95% of The Last Jedi star wars

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
For those of you keeping score, The Lord of Light brought Beric Dondarrion back 19 times and Jon Snow once so that they could do gently caress all and then Tiny Anime Princess stab the NK.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 1, 2019

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kubrick hey lets comission the loving nasa a camera so i can film night scenes with loving candles
dyd what if we put a loving artifact so all looks like poo poo?

Standard Measure
Sep 5, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

For those of you keeping score, The Lord of Light brought Beric Dondarrion back 19 times and Jon Snow once so that they could do gently caress all and then Tiny Anime Princess stab the NK.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The only answer for why Rhllor kept Jon Snow alive is I guess he just really likes watching incest boatsex.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Haha!

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The only answer for why Rhllor kept Mel alive is I guess he just really likes big tit red heads

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 1, 2019

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Too light plus needs "buffering" in the middle

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

DoctorGonzo posted:

The only answer for why Rhllor kept Mel alive is I guess he just really likes big tit red heads

Honestly, same

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
My wife and I finally watched the episode and she said that she was disappointed because “hardly any important characters died”

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Sheen Sheen posted:

My wife and I finally watched the episode and she said that she was disappointed because “hardly any important characters died”

She seems smart

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I like the whole Lord of Light prophecy thing and if this were a better fantasy show, we'd get a more straightforward insight into high fantasy viewed through a commoner's eyes. Because that's scary and beautiful, and to me those sentiments are what carried the highest points of the episode and the whole show.

I'm really sad that the most beautifully shot fantasy scene of an an ancient witch disposing of her immortality charm to a fantasy landscape as viewed from the eyes of my most noble and yet relatable hero had no greater context.

I like to believe that she was just a powerful priestess, who believed an old prophecy, and was human, but truly believed what she was doing was good. Ultimately, her strategy was to go attend her own execution to attend what she believed a the Apocalypse. That she survived the night after so many other prophetic failures, she simply ends her own life, rather than try to rationalize what she did, likely in her defense at the hands of an angry mob, a vengeful knight, or a mad queen. But I don't know because the show never loving told us.

I'm disappointed that we're not seeing more high fantasy now that magic and dragons are real to the audience and the characters. I'm disappointed that the battle was like so many fantasy set pieces that send my mind adrift: leaving any real context or lasting sense of a greater narrative. In fact, that's what I'm disappointed most overall. There were so many ways to play with the narrative to improve any of this, and still, the writers need to make paychecks and fans love service, so we're back to the old boring Game.

There are so many parallels within parallels between the stories of this world that I keep my fascination alive while watching these stories; its much like looking up old Nostradamus predictions, seeing if I can make the pattern fit the stories. I really do think that's the strongest point of gurm writing those prophecies, so that the reader could half remember of they heard this one before.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 1, 2019

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I kept thinking they were gonna do a weird time jump thing with Bran again where he'd be like "well I just saw the bad end lol so let's change our plans"

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Dear Everyone who hated this GOT episode,

Awwww yeah that's the stuff.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm really happy for Maisie and her character.

But I can't believe room full of full grown adults thought the shadow step jump shot was the way to end that goddamn cut.

Jesus Christ.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
If I were a god and 400 years ago I saw Carice Van Houten's ludicrous tits I'd use all my power to preserve them shits, too, and I'm gay as dicks.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Gatts posted:

Dear Everyone who hated this GOT episode,

Awwww yeah that's the stuff.

Arya mad? :smug:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I mean I guess you can say Jon convinced Dany and her armies to go north and that without them they'd have had no chance but gently caress all that the show runners didn't think it and all they thought was let's have Arya kill the NK for the surprise.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

It ends with a Sonic The Hedgehog crossover.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

If you want to get convoluted, without Jon, the dragon never would have died North of the Wall, so the Night King never would have brought down the Wall or made it South where he could be killed in the first place.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Arya is absolutely riding Nymeria at some point in the next 3 episodes.

Believe it.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Arya is absolutely riding Nymeria at some point in the next 3 episodes.

Believe it.

They ran out of big dog budget like 5 seasons ago

Dreaddor
Apr 7, 2006

The reason the lord of light brought Jon back was most likely not only to unite the people but also to get Arya to come back to Winterfell. Remember originally she was headed for King's Landing until Hot Pie told her about Jon winning the Battle of the Bastards.

I'm torn on the episode. I liked some of it and I hated some of it. I feel like the story of the NK isn't quite done yet. I feel as though something is going to happen to Arya as a result of being the one who held the blade that killed him. Some kind of supernatural consequence. Which is why I also believe Bran made that look when he handed her the dagger on the previous season. Not only because he knew she would use it to kill the NK but also what would happen to her as a result. Who knows!

Dreaddor fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 1, 2019

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Fashionable Jorts posted:

They ran out of big dog budget like 5 seasons ago

There's no way the hacks that wrote this show aren't going to have Princess Mononoke after they had a bajillion neon signs pointing at that Chekov's gun in season 7.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

This is a very silly show.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

I asked my father who would win the Game of Thrones and he texted me back "Probably the midget. Jon Snow is a plug"

I asked my friends who have reread the books many times what they thought of the episode and they assured me the ending of the books will be way way better and GRRM probably bullshitted the show creators. Denial is a sad thing :(

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Poasty posted:

the ending of the books

You mean A Dance With Dragons?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Maybe Tyrion hasn't turned stupid. Maybe he's been extra manipulative. Maybe the writers aren't idiots.

:laffo:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

You mean A Dance With Dragons?

:eyepop:

Malkof
Oct 13, 2001

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

As the NK approaches a warged Bran, he hears movement from behind. He spins, hands at the ready. Movement catches his piercing blue eyes; it's a raven?
The bird appears to be dive bombing, a feeble last ditch effort by the 3ER to save himself. He opens his mouth to mock the pathetic gesture.
As his frost blue lips part, the raven suddenly rears, stopping suddenly. To late to notice, a small object is released from the bird's claws.
Theon's desiccated penis sails through the air, right into the NK's open mouth.

As the shriveled member banks of his lips into his open mouth, Bran's opaque eyes clear while a guy wrenching laugh bubbles out from his chest.

"HOLLLLY poo poo I WASN'T SURE IF THAT WAS GOING TO WORK HAHAHA!", he bellows as the NK panics and spits the organ to the snow. I HAD THAT FLOWN ALL THE WAY FROM THE IRON ISLES JUST FOR YOUR HAHAHA!

From all sides, gutteral laugher erupts. Even his own children, the walkers, are doubled over in bales of howling laughter.

Utterly owned, the NK scrambles to his undead mount to fly of never to be seen again.
And thus, it was revealed that Bran is the fabled Azor Ahai, wielding his fabled sword, though much smaller than everyone thought.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

"We had a goon named Malkof," said Benioff and Weiss. "One day he shitposted on the forums and said, 'You know that guy (Theon) whose dick got cut off by Ramsay? The dick that was mailed to the Iron Islands to let Balon know his son was a eunuch?' 'Yeah?' 'Well,' said Malkof, 'doesn't it make sense that Bran would warg into a raven to go pick it up and bring it back to Winterfell? Where else is it going to go?' 'You're right,' we said. 'That does make sense.' 'And what if during the battle for Winterfell, The raven fires that dick into the Night King's mouth to humiliate him in front of his entire army?' This year, Malkof is a better writer than any writers on the show."

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
You can write everything off with "it was prophecy". What was the point of John being a Targ and having a magic sword, one of three than can kill the night king and nothing comes of it? Ah, it was all prophecy. 4d chess. He had to be there to let Arya be here and that means Bran is over her because fate. It's just poo poo writing.

HILARIOUS poo poo writing, but what irks me is that everyone thinks its the most brilliant thing ever. We're all hear laughing at this poo poo but literally everyone else is nodding their heads and rubbing their chins and going, "This is absolutely the pinnacle of what we can get out of the media."

Also for everyone claiming it makes perfect sense that Arya could gank the Night King because she's been training for 6 seasons, I'd agree (kinda, there's SMART ways of subverting expectations and dumb ways and this was real dumb) if not for a few things.
She gets battered outside on the walls and has to seek refuge in the library where, once again we're shown how stealthy and fantastic of an assassin she is. And not to sound like the yogurt guy from the Simpsons, but this is real good. She's prowling around, really showing those skills she has and then... a single drop of blood splats against the wooden floor. And a zombie hears it. Which is also great! Nobody was expecting that. These undead bastards have something extra to them, something magical maybe that lets them seek out their prey despite how stealthy she is. It's a good like ramp up of tension and adds an extra layer of threat to the undead. (despite everyone else having plot armour, but whatever)
So having set that up, showing that Arya's skills in stealth are unmatched but also having the wights being harder to stealth past than dudes it comes off as real fuckin' stupid and dumb when she just suddenly teleports out of nowhere when the Night King had his footsoldiers right there.

But gently caress me for wanting better from the tv shows I watch, right? Just turn your brain off. Or, if you're a real dickhead just say "hush". That's the big one people do now when you try and criticise the dumb poo poo they love.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It'll be funny to see if the poor reception of the TV series has an adverse effect on the book series, assuming any new ones come out. Like, if the writers really whiff the next few episodes will loads of people just be too disillusioned with the books? If you were a fan of both it seems like it would be impossible to totally divorce TV GOT from book GOT in your mind.

Everyone will adore the next few episode no matter how trash they are. When people latch onto a fandom it doesn't matter how poo poo it gets because that BECOMES their identity so they'll never criticise it because that'd be a bad reflection on themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

gurm's going to be crushed by a stack of manuscripts and brandon sanderson will ghost write the final 4000 asoiaf pages in 9 months

if arya's fate from the very start was to kill the night king as intended by the lord of light, i guess that's as good as explanation as any why the og ninja Jaqen H'ghar managed to end up in a prison wagon like a scrub