Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Uh oh the gf said she would pitch in like $150 if I want to buy a Pro...

Do eet! It's worth it for the next year and a half left of PS4 gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'm not sure how to spoil this. It's not exactly a plot issue, but it's about an Easter egg for Bend Studio. Better safe than sorry, though, so only read this if you've beaten Days Gone or never intend to do so.

There's a tourism collectible in one of the story locations late in the game that's an examination of the virus. It's literally the Syphon Filter. The file comes complete with name-dropping Gabe, Xian, Teresa, and Laurence. Apparently Days Gone is what could've happened in the original trilogy if the virus had ever actually been used.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Wanderer posted:

I'm not sure how to spoil this. It's not exactly a plot issue, but it's about an Easter egg for Bend Studio. Better safe than sorry, though, so only read this if you've beaten Days Gone or never intend to do so.

There's a tourism collectible in one of the story locations late in the game that's an examination of the virus. It's literally the Syphon Filter. The file comes complete with name-dropping Gabe, Xian, Teresa, and Laurence. Apparently Days Gone is what could've happened in the original trilogy if the virus had ever actually been used.

That actually made me a little more interested in Days Gone. Cool stuff!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Wanderer posted:

If the 1000-yard taser is an unlockable weapon then I may need to check this out

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

MeatwadIsGod posted:

If the 1000-yard taser is an unlockable weapon then I may need to check this out

It is.

I broke down and looked it up. You can find "IPCA Tech" items at various not-FEMA bunkers throughout the map that don't have an obvious use. If you find 18 of them and clear the game, you get a crafting schematic that lets you make Gabe's air taser, complete with "setting your rear end on fire" functionality.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Haha holy poo poo

I hope Days Gone is £20 sooner than later

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Game mode: when my parents got a new 4K tv they gave me their previous one, a Samsung UE40J5000 AWXXC. Basically a nice Samsung panel pre-smart tv and no post processing stuff. Feels great to have a big screen even at this distance (I just move a bit away when playing PS4 games). Not in the picture: hidden xbox360 behind the TV because I loving love Forza Horizon.

New setup:

Old setup:

And yes, I removed after years the stickers on my PC monitor and got a nice R6 Siege mousepad :haw:

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 1, 2019

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
As someone who is going to buy all 4 games on the sale, I would like to know what are your thoughts on how Naruto UNS series is like as a fighting game? Is it worthwhile as a casual fightmans?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

uh, anyone want a 20% off ubisoft store code? Don't think it works with Division 2

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Wanderer posted:

It is.

I broke down and looked it up. You can find "IPCA Tech" items at various not-FEMA bunkers throughout the map that don't have an obvious use. If you find 18 of them and clear the game, you get a crafting schematic that lets you make Gabe's air taser, complete with "setting your rear end on fire" functionality.

my lord

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I've been playing Dynasty Warriors 9 and I think I know why it's oddly enjoyable; it's one of the same reasons as Dragon's Dogma. It's a open world RPG except that you can run around at high speed with hardly anything in your way and climb over almost anything. And also every once in awhile you pull out your weapon and it becomes a normal Musou game for a short time.

It still looks like hell though, and there's a lot of movement bugs and stuff. In a castle assault battle, every single one of the enemy's engineers fell into the moat and just stayed there, treading water, for the entire battle. I wasn't complaining.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Finished what I assume is the second disc/act of Shenmue 2 -- beating up Dou Niu and leaving Kowloon. I hope that isn't the last I see of him or especially Yuan cause I've come to adore her VA, making lines like "Tasty! What an elegant way to spend my time." come off exactly as ridiculous as they should.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BisterdDave posted:

Do eet! It's worth it for the next year and a half left of PS4 gaming.

We’ve been talking about it. The only big reason why we would got ATV4K over a Pro is the Criterion Channel app. Without headphones our room is not great for movies though and I don’t have anything nearly as easy as the PS4 + two sony wireless headsets.

So uh yeah I might buy a PS4 Pro this week.

Anyone need a loud launch PS4?

Will the Pro make standard non enhanced games look better via upscaling compared to the base system? The PS4 doesn’t even output 4K.

Guillermus posted:

Game mode: when my parents got a new 4K tv they gave me their previous one, a Samsung UE40J5000 AWXXC. Basically a nice Samsung panel pre-smart tv and no post processing stuff. Feels great to have a big screen even at this distance (I just move a bit away when playing PS4 games). Not in the picture: hidden xbox360 behind the TV because I loving love Forza Horizon.

New setup:

Old setup:

And yes, I removed after years the stickers on my PC monitor and got a nice R6 Siege mousepad :haw:

Niiiiice, I like it!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Policenaut posted:

That actually made me a little more interested in Days Gone. Cool stuff!

Haha same. I didn't even know that's who made the game. Hell I thought that studio closed like 15 years ago

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Wanderer posted:

It is.

Post a video if anyone unlocks it, please.

DanZX
May 5, 2015

Mamkute posted:

As someone who is going to buy all 4 games on the sale, I would like to know what are your thoughts on how Naruto UNS series is like as a fighting game? Is it worthwhile as a casual fightmans?

It’s really simplistic and the franchise is way more about flashy and cool animations, and no substance. Still a really pretty show and the boss fights can be amazing.
It’s also the best, or at least the most fun, way to go through the Naruto story because the anime is filler town.

Also skip 1 or go through it as fast as possible because the campaign is really bland.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Thread theme song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgZwxDTHcrU

screaden fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 1, 2019

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I am wondering how perception of Day's Gone ends up landing after some time. I don't trust initial reception of any game with that much negative press.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Day's Gone seems like the perfect game to play when you have a really bad flu and need something that'll pass the time.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I had a jrpg itch and I was thinking of replaying FFX when I picked up Persona 5 on sale. I knew vaguely what it was about and that it was a Good Game.

I did not expect it to be Jung's "Man and His Symbols" the video game, nor did I expect it to be this loving fun holy poo poo. I'm still getting tutorials 15 hours in, what have I done oh no

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Wanderer posted:

It is.

haha holy moly

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Day's Gone seems like the perfect game to play when you have a really bad flu and need something that'll pass the time.

The last thing I want to deal with when I'm sick is a buggy game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

The last thing I want to deal with when I'm sick is a buggy game.

First world problems right here folks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ah yes, my favorite genre, "it's fun if you're on a bunch of painkillers" :v:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Easy mistake to make, I know, but it's Dying Light that's the zombie game with a buggy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rinkles posted:

Easy mistake to make, I know, but it's Dying Light that's the zombie game with a buggy.

Boooooo

But also lol

Dying Light was so drat good tho

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

VideoGames, you are a true mod of the people. Thank you for hanging out with and enabling us! :glomp:

Good grief! This was unexpected, but thank you very much :D

I was feeling quite exhausted last night from work and was going to just be a weird lump on the sofa.

Lady VG said I should play some PS4 to relax and I saw Tetris Effect on sale for £25 so I spent a good few hours having one of the most amazing chill experiences ever. It reminds me of Chime and Lumines but is even better. I have not tried the VR aspect yet, I might this evening, but oh my word I have never experienced Tetris like this before. It is gorgeous and it sounds divine. It was exactly what I needed!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

Will the Pro make standard non enhanced games look better via upscaling compared to the base system? The PS4 doesn’t even output 4K.

They won't look better but they might run better with boost mode.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

You jerks. I went from having no interest in Days Gone to wanting it on sale because of those spoilers.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I wish modern consoles had Left 4 Dead :negative:

E: it's probably non Xbox back compat, I dunno

World War Z is a 1:1 copy of L4D, minus the tank launch cars and with more zombies

Oxxidation posted:

calibrate your tv sets, folks

they're all hosed-up computers now, you've got to customize them properly

For a time, I considered downloading a user made firmware and flash my TV with it, to have more options. (disable more retard poo poo)

But thats where I draw the line... having to mod my TV with user mades firmwares.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tei posted:

World War Z is a 1:1 copy of L4D, minus the tank launch cars and with more zombies

L4D is an FPS tho

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

L4D is an FPS tho

I don't even remember if WWZ is third or first person. If that matter to you, then it may be a problem, yes.

IMO the biggest problem with WWZ is that L4D style games are a thing of the past. In 2019 games need to be much more complex, with more moving parts,... the average player demand more than 5 maps and replaying these 5 maps again and again.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Is it still worth playing the last of us remastered or will it be a terrible experience in 2019?

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

Game good

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tei posted:

I don't even remember if WWZ is third or first person. If that matter to you, then it may be a problem, yes.

IMO the biggest problem with WWZ is that L4D style games are a thing of the past. In 2019 games need to be much more complex, with more moving parts,... the average player demand more than 5 maps and replaying these 5 maps again and again.

Doesn’t Fortnite have only one map

Ramadu posted:

Is it still worth playing the last of us remastered or will it be a terrible experience in 2019?

It’s definitely worth it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Tei posted:

One of my friends said this about L4D2, that he would not get it because it only had five maps. I then mentioned that he and I played thousands of hours of TF2 on the same four maps and he got a bit sheepish. :D

However, I do get what he was trying to say. I do not think it was the variety of maps, but rather the game play. It is far easier to play a TDM game on one map because the people you play against provide the content. With a game like L4D2, you have the same content each run with only minimal changes.

This is probably why Fortnite and PUBG work for people. The map is the background and the players are the content.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Ramadu posted:

It is 100% worth playing for the story alone. Don't know how active the multiplayer is still, but I always heard that was pretty drat fun too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ramadu posted:

Yeah it's great.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Environments being filled with waist-high obstacles is a little passe, but based on my memory, everything else is absolutely state-of-the-art today just as much as it was then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Ramadu posted:

Pound for pound it's the best game of the 7th Gen of consoles, and one of the best games of all time.