Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

food court bailiff posted:

In the original story it's because he's got a mad obsessive crush on Death, who recognizes him for the gross big purple dork he is and snubs him completely. He wants to kill half of all life as a gift for her, NOTICE ME SENPAI~~~ style.

e:f;b

I can't remember whether it's fanon or canon that Death is super pissed at him for making so much more work for her, but I always liked the idea.

E: the first Avengers had that bit at the end with Thanos' adviser telling him that to attack Earth would be to "court death" and he grins like it's the best news he's had in years. Probably before they settled on ecoterrorism for his motives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I don't follow the comics, but isn't Death that Thanos is in love with also shacking up with Deadpool? None of this makes sense.

I recall some fan theories that Vanessa in the Deadpool movies is going to become the Death character. It's probably as accurate as every Game of Thrones fan theory ever posted on Reddit.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Krispy Wafer posted:

I don't follow the comics, but isn't Death that Thanos is in love with also shacking up with Deadpool? None of this makes sense.

I never got that far in the recent Deadpool stuff (not because it was bad or anything, comedian Brian Posehn wrote a really good run on it) but yeah I'm pretty sure they started dating. Death was into Wade specifically because he couldn't die and was pretty much an anti-Thanos.

e: VVVV I really hope the "other reasons" are "he's a big dumb purple dork with a nutsack for a chin" VVVV

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 20:31 on Apr 30, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah Death married Deadpool a while back. She’s currently looking like a goth waifu and tormenting Thanos for other reasons. This is her now

Happy Noodle Boy has a new favorite as of 20:25 on Apr 30, 2019

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

OK, so I haven't seen any of the Avengers movies, or any MCU movies outside of Iron Man 1. I just wanted to ask a very small question... Why the hell does Thanos want to wipe out everyone? Is there any sort of real, understandable-but-still-bad motivation there?

He doesn’t want to wipe out everyone. Your information is inaccurate.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Is any reason ever given why Thanos is so much stronger than other skrulls? Steve Rogers got a super serum, Hulk got gamma rays, Thor isn't human. Why is Thanos one of the most powerful beings in the universe even without his Infinity stones?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's not a skrull he's a Titan, he just shaves with a rake.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Now he says he came from an overpopulated planet in the movie, implying there were really an awful, awful lot of people like him, but somehow he's the only one left. Maybe they worked on, like, Jet Li's The One rules and all the other titans dying made him into a god-titan. Or maybe all Titans were as buff as he is and he survived because he was some kind of god-tier doomsday prepper before he became an omnicidal spacelord and hid while the rest killed each other for scraps. Is Titan so hosed up because all the guys who were as bad rear end as him fought each other barehanded to the death or something and it was like 10 billion Hulks going berserk? How long ago did all this take place? If they didn't just go to space to fix their population problem, who uplifted Thanos? If they did go to space, where are they, and why did they gently caress their planet and their population up so bad?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Titan was very anti vaxx

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Do they ever explain why Thanos switched from being blue to purple inbetween movies?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Do they ever explain why Thanos switched from being blue to purple inbetween movies?

Is that when they switched the ‘actors’ playing Thanos?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That's just how his species ages.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tunicate posted:

That's just how his species ages.

Yeah they ripen like a melon. If you knock on his butt and there's a hollow sound that's when you know he's finally an adult.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Krispy Wafer posted:

Is that when they switched the ‘actors’ playing Thanos?

Eh even the ‘Guardians 1/Ultron’ Thanos was subtly different from the ‘IW/Endgame’ Thanos and it’s all Brolin by that point.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
I haven't watched any marvel movies since like 2011. Is Thanos' basic plan basically the same as the reapers from mass effect?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Olaf The Stout posted:

I haven't watched any marvel movies since like 2011. Is Thanos' basic plan basically the same as the reapers from mass effect?

No. Thanos' plan was actually coherent and made more sense than the Reapers.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

oldpainless posted:

He doesn’t want to wipe out everyone. Your information is inaccurate.

No no, he just wants upend everything and assumes it will all shake out fine. Totally different!

Also: (Endgame spoilers)

He does revise his plan just before getting his poo poo kicked in after realizing that we'll never not be petty dicks.

Doomsayer has a new favorite as of 23:53 on Apr 30, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

marshmallow creep posted:

Is Titan so hosed up because all the guys who were as bad rear end as him fought each other barehanded to the death or something and it was like 10 billion Hulks going berserk?

Now that's a movie I'd like to see

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

1stGear posted:

No. Thanos' plan was actually coherent and made more sense than the Reapers.

A friend told me his plan was to kill half of everyone periodically, is that true? I don't see how that's much different in practice than the reapers.

They both oppose entropy and over-expansion essentially. Thanos is just scaling his thinking in terms of his own mortality, whereas reapers have been watching the galaxy for over a billion years and have adopted a more cosmically-scaled solution.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 00:49 on May 1, 2019

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

The Reapers' plan in ME1 was neat. The Reapers' plan in the later games not so much.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Decrepus posted:

The Reapers' plan in ME1 was neat. The Reapers' plan in the later games not so much.

Refresh me on the differences?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Olaf The Stout posted:

A friend told me his plan was to kill half of everyone periodically, is that true? I don't see how that's much different in practice than the reapers.

They both oppose entropy and over-expansion essentially. Thanos is just scaling his thinking in terms of his own mortality, whereas reapers have been watching the galaxy for over a billion years and have adopted a more cosmically-scaled solution.

The Reapers in ME3 periodically wiped out all advanced civilizations because conflict between synthetics and organics was inevitable so welp gotta kill everyone I guess?????? This was pretty much scrawled out by the lead writer on a cocktail napkin after the game had started production and forced on the rest of the writing team.

Thanos wanted to wipe out half of all life in the universe because he believed everyone would eventually be killed due to overpopulation and lack of resources. Which is real dumb for various reasons the Internet has beaten to death over the past year, but its something that has a coherent motive and thought process behind it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Bio life becomes a threat to synthetic life if allowed to run amok so it must be culled is actually more coherent.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Captain Monkey posted:

Bio life becomes a threat to synthetic life if allowed to run amok so it must be culled is actually more coherent.

Maybe, but what ME says is "advanced bios will make synths that will wipe out all bios so we need synths that wipe out bios before they can make synths that wipe out bios."

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

Maybe, but what ME says is "advanced bios will make synths that will wipe out all bios so we need synths that wipe out bios before they can make synths that wipe out bios."

There's no guarantee the newest synths would win, the geth got demolished pretty easily. Then bio life is pre-prejudiced to kill synth life like the reapers.

It hangs together pretty well. And I'm definitely not an ME fanboy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Thanos’ plan was to halve the universe then retire to his farm. No repetition.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aphrodite posted:

Thanos’ plan was to halve the universe then retire to his farm. No repetition.

Yep, in Endgame the Avengers discover Thanos destroyed the Infinity gems when he retired to the farm so no one could undo what he did.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yep, in Endgame the Avengers discover Thanos destroyed the Infinity gems when he retired to the farm so no one could undo what he did.

Endgame: And so he wouldn't be tempted to do anything else. It's only after the Avengers reverse the Snap that he goes full megalomaniac and decides he needs to be God.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jedit posted:

Endgame: And so he wouldn't be tempted to do anything else. It's only after the Avengers reverse the Snap that he goes full megalomaniac and decides he needs to be God.

And due to time travel it's technically not the same Thanos who did the Snap.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If 2014 Thanos were a little more patient he could have just waited until he got all the stones legit and just kill everyone in the first snap, and then you got cross-eyed again.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Thano's motivations sort of make sense - he's got some messianic duty to save as much life as he can, after his homeworld starved or whatever - 'the universe is finite and its resources finite' so to prevent it from happening on a universal scale he has to stop rapid overpopulation with the snap. He says in infinity war that he'd rest on a 'grateful' universe which is a pretty big clue for why younger, more ambitious Thanos goes so loving batshit in Endgame. He realises the universe definitely was not loving grateful for the extra corn when half of everyone they knew was wiped from existence and commerce and governments ground to a loving halt (though Endgame did a pretty poor job of showing that, which I hope Spiderman 2 will cover) so he revises his plan to recreate the universe in a perfectly balanced image, specifically either grateful to him or with no memory of whatever happened in the past. Like in the comics, his ego was his undoing. He didn't care that the Avengers killed him at the beginning of Endgame, he was just annoyed they weren't grateful to him

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
I just want to know what Thanos thinks about all the innocent people that died because half of the universe turned to dust.

There's people who died on the operating table because the doctor got snapped. Aircraft that crashed because suddenly they didn't have a pilot (we see this one, like, immediately in Infinity War's post-credits). He quite clearly didn't just kill half the universe, he definitely killed far more just by nature of what he did. Does he care? Was the 50/50 thing actually important to him, or did he just decide 'eh, close enough good enough'?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
He killed off the plant life so there wasn't even extra corn

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Milo and POTUS posted:

:goofy: oh yeah

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

b-but how will the country girls make do

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

If anyone wants to take a serious look at 'what if a huge number of people just disappeared one day?' definitely check out HBO's now-finished series, 'The Leftovers'. It's excellent and downright chilling at times.

It touches on stuff like 'what if you were being driven somewhere, and the driver 'departed'? What if you were pregnant? What if you were Gary Busey?' but in an unnerving way. And then it gets crazy.

And it may or may not actually explain everything at the end :getin:

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 12:23 on May 1, 2019

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Cleretic posted:

I just want to know what Thanos thinks about all the innocent people that died because half of the universe turned to dust.

There's people who died on the operating table because the doctor got snapped. Aircraft that crashed because suddenly they didn't have a pilot (we see this one, like, immediately in Infinity War's post-credits). He quite clearly didn't just kill half the universe, he definitely killed far more just by nature of what he did. Does he care? Was the 50/50 thing actually important to him, or did he just decide 'eh, close enough good enough'?

I doubt he gave that any thought.
He has a stupid and crazy idea about BALANCE, that he was rightfully mocked by his own people for saying out loud.
The 'titans' ruined their planet by some means (likely Capitalism) and didn't do anything practical to stop it and went extinct save for Thanos. He has latched on to 'cull half of all life' as the ONLY way to stop that kind of thing from happening again. With the inability of his people to stop their destruction and ignoring his solution being the only evidence he has to know he is 100% right.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Aidan_702 posted:

Thano's motivations sort of make sense - he's got some messianic duty to save as much life as he can, after his homeworld starved or whatever - 'the universe is finite and its resources finite' so to prevent it from happening on a universal scale he has to stop rapid overpopulation with the snap. He says in infinity war that he'd rest on a 'grateful' universe which is a pretty big clue for why younger, more ambitious Thanos goes so loving batshit in Endgame. He realises the universe definitely was not loving grateful for the extra corn when half of everyone they knew was wiped from existence and commerce and governments ground to a loving halt (though Endgame did a pretty poor job of showing that, which I hope Spiderman 2 will cover) so he revises his plan to recreate the universe in a perfectly balanced image, specifically either grateful to him or with no memory of whatever happened in the past. Like in the comics, his ego was his undoing. He didn't care that the Avengers killed him at the beginning of Endgame, he was just annoyed they weren't grateful to him

There were little glimpses. Stuff like cruise ships docked haphazardly around the Statue of Liberty because no one wants to go on vacations or even visit landmarks. But yeah, aside from people crying, bags of trash, and an inordinate amount of scarce resources going to monoliths you don't see much that's changed.

A subtle moment is Ant-Man joking about the teenager's mother in the diner. It's meant to be a joke, but it makes sense Ant-Man hasn't figure out you don't make remarks like that since there's a good chance her mother's gone along with a good chunk of her family.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Movie Thanos is a really dumb guy from your Philosophy class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Pastry of the Year posted:

b-but how will the country girls make do

God dammit I salute you for thinking of the hard things.