Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
When do radar and the map become things? I loaded up my old save (just pre-steel production) and couldn't find them anywhere. Do I need to start a new game or are they deeper in the tech tree?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

From the changelog it sounds like they depend on the Quartz tech tree which is probably level 7 or 8.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Ixjuvin posted:

When do radar and the map become things? I loaded up my old save (just pre-steel production) and couldn't find them anywhere. Do I need to start a new game or are they deeper in the tech tree?

They come with quartz, which you unlock by mining quartz.

You need to manually click on the quartz node to get it, even if you've already mined it before the patch.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Dr. Stab posted:

They come with quartz, which you unlock by mining quartz.

You need to manually click on the quartz node to get it, even if you've already mined it before the patch.

Yup, the map comes for free after you put quartz in the MAM. The radar is a little further past that, but in the same Quartz "tree".

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
These double input containers are exactly what I wanted for a dumb overengineered solution I'd been thinking of.

I'm busy building rebuilding factory that makes every item now that we've got a ton of new items and new alternatives. These items are all sent to a giant warehouse with a container for each item. Something I constantly run into though, is that I run out of inventory space. I don't want to just throw away items and feel like I'm wasting my time looking for something I can throw away or dump in a machine. To fix this I wanted to make an auto-sorting setup where I throw all my poo poo into a big container and have it run down a set of smart/programmable splitters to sort it all per item. The thing that stopped me from making it is that I didn't want to add splitters to all my current belts going into the warehouse and I wanted to see what the programmable splitters would be like. With the double input containers, I can just send it all into the top half.

It's dumb and completely unneccesary but it'll be fun to design and create.

Speaking of programmable splitters, has anyone tried them yet? I saw that they now only require motors and not turbomotors, but I haven't had a chance to try them yet, how are they different from smart splitters?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Freaksaus posted:

Speaking of programmable splitters, has anyone tried them yet? I saw that they now only require motors and not turbomotors, but I haven't had a chance to try them yet, how are they different from smart splitters?

You can apply multiple filters to each output. That's the only difference, I think.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
They can take an unlimited number of filter conditions. It's honestly not super useful for anything I've thought of.

Like, with your thing, where you'd have a belt of unsorted inputs and then want to filter out each kind of item and put it on its own belt, you'd only need one filter condition per splitter.

The thing I'd really want to make something like that is a priority merger. Let me greedily take from the sorter belt input to minimize the chance that things get backed up in the sorting system. Right now you can sort of emulate that by taking an arbitrary number of splitters/mergers in order to make it prefer one input over another, but that's big and bulky and requires a lot of clicks to place.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Dr. Stab posted:

They can take an unlimited number of filter conditions. It's honestly not super useful for anything I've thought of.

Like, with your thing, where you'd have a belt of unsorted inputs and then want to filter out each kind of item and put it on its own belt, you'd only need one filter condition per splitter.

The thing I'd really want to make something like that is a priority merger. Let me greedily take from the sorter belt input to minimize the chance that things get backed up in the sorting system. Right now you can sort of emulate that by taking an arbitrary number of splitters/mergers in order to make it prefer one input over another, but that's big and bulky and requires a lot of clicks to place.

If you have N item types on a belt to sort, you can use the smart splitter to pick off 2 at each splitter. With a programmable splitter you can sort hierarchically rather than serially. Ores to the left, Ingots to the right, secondary sorts on each of those, plus everything further down the main sorting trunk.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Dr. Stab posted:

To somehow make this, obviously
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kry8lbrHjeY

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mr. Powers posted:

If you have N item types on a belt to sort, you can use the smart splitter to pick off 2 at each splitter. With a programmable splitter you can sort hierarchically rather than serially. Ores to the left, Ingots to the right, secondary sorts on each of those, plus everything further down the main sorting trunk.

I have never ended up with more then one thing on a belt in this game due to space not being any sort of issue and all machines directly outputting to a belt.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I like having a single spot I can dump inventory trash and have it sorted into storage. That's the only use case I've found for smart splitters.

I have seen them used to make more compact factories, but it's not always easy to do.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

In the experimental save, two quartz veins appeared like right beneath my base and I don't remember those being there before, haha. Convenient.

Not *quite* as much new stuff as I had wanted but more than I had hoped for, honestly. I like how if you ping resources, then open your map, the ping will show them on the map to help you figure it out more precicely.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Speedball posted:

In the experimental save, two quartz veins appeared like right beneath my base and I don't remember those being there before, haha. Convenient.

Northern-middle part of the map, just east of the desert? I don't remember seeing those before, either, but they were convenient pure nodes!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

necrotic posted:

Northern-middle part of the map, just east of the desert? I don't remember seeing those before, either, but they were convenient pure nodes!

Yup. I built my base on a huge foundation out over the canyon so I'd have plenty of space and even conveniently there was one oil field across the canyon so my bridge-base was closer to good stuff than I thought.

Now I'll have to plan out the whole base all over again. Might start from scratch just to get a better feel for things.

You can blow up the weaker poison-gas plants (the ones that "stand up" before they start emitting) but not the other type. Hmm...

One thing I hope they address in the future is you taking fall damage when in a vehicle. That makes hopping over cliffs and ramps in the rover problematic....

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

necrotic posted:

Two pure nodes in a sort of cave? Those have been around, they're the nodes I beelined for after updating.

I'm enjoying the patch but man it seems to have stability issues. Lots of hitching and my friend keeps crashing.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Atoramos posted:

Two pure nodes in a sort of cave? Those have been around, they're the nodes I beelined for after updating.

I'm enjoying the patch but man it seems to have stability issues. Lots of hitching and my friend keeps crashing.

Nope, the new ones are not in a cave. They are across the river over there, raised up a bit.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTGCAwwNyfc

vvv make sure you report those using the ingame reporter deal, along with reproduction steps!

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 4, 2019

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ooof, anyone else getting these really bad bugs in the experimental branch? I've noticed two that are just horrible and repeatable (but hopefully fixable). One is if I have a portable miner in my hand slot and other stuff in other hand slots, plopping down one portable miner has another appear in my hands but the other items in my hand slots disappearing. Lost my first xeno-zapper that way.

The other bug is even worse. If I have a stack of power shards, dragging them over to a building to power it up cause all the extra shards to vanish as if they were deleted. Yikes.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Speedball posted:

Ooof, anyone else getting these really bad bugs in the experimental branch? I've noticed two that are just horrible and repeatable (but hopefully fixable). One is if I have a portable miner in my hand slot and other stuff in other hand slots, plopping down one portable miner has another appear in my hands but the other items in my hand slots disappearing. Lost my first xeno-zapper that way.

The other bug is even worse. If I have a stack of power shards, dragging them over to a building to power it up cause all the extra shards to vanish as if they were deleted. Yikes.

Yup, I experienced the second one. Also having more cases where I get stuck on a tree than before.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Looks like they already detected and fixed both of those bugs in a patch but then had to roll back that patch because it somehow unintentionally deleted everyone's conveyor belts. Whoops. But at least they're working on it.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Speedball posted:

Looks like they already detected and fixed both of those bugs in a patch but then had to roll back that patch because it somehow unintentionally deleted everyone's conveyor belts. Whoops. But at least they're working on it.

The first hotfix update last month deleted all the coal from every inventory slot in my save, including my own, vehicle cargo bays, and vehicle fuel slots.

I actually decided to re-embark rather than try to fix all of that, since it was my first start. In hindsight it wouldn't have been that big a deal I guess.

In other news, I started for a third time on since I didn't even check for saved games after installing the separate experimental client. I found one chunk of quartz but it only yielded 20 raw and I have yet to find another, though I've got a stack and a half of Bauxite, three stacks of SAM Ore, and enough sulfur from chunks that I was able to unlock and build demolitions, the rifle, and 30ish cartridges before going out to set up a sulfur outpost.

Would anyone in this thread be willing to give me the location of a quartz chunk relative to the sunken lake near the plains starting area, the one with four coal veins on the north shore, plus a Normal copper and a Pure iron about 250m west? I did quite a bit of perambulating to gather all the above poo poo and I really just want to play with the other new toys.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

hrrrm, not sure how to help you with that, I've been doing all my exploration in a totally different area.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

LonsomeSon posted:

The first hotfix update last month deleted all the coal from every inventory slot in my save, including my own, vehicle cargo bays, and vehicle fuel slots.

I actually decided to re-embark rather than try to fix all of that, since it was my first start. In hindsight it wouldn't have been that big a deal I guess.

In other news, I started for a third time on since I didn't even check for saved games after installing the separate experimental client. I found one chunk of quartz but it only yielded 20 raw and I have yet to find another, though I've got a stack and a half of Bauxite, three stacks of SAM Ore, and enough sulfur from chunks that I was able to unlock and build demolitions, the rifle, and 30ish cartridges before going out to set up a sulfur outpost.

Would anyone in this thread be willing to give me the location of a quartz chunk relative to the sunken lake near the plains starting area, the one with four coal veins on the north shore, plus a Normal copper and a Pure iron about 250m west? I did quite a bit of perambulating to gather all the above poo poo and I really just want to play with the other new toys.

https://www.satisfactorymap.com

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Have they fixed any of the MP bugs? Me and a friend enjoy playing this, but the game gets too laggy or he can’t use any items when he joins my game. Sometimes reconnecting fixes it, but when we tried a couple weeks ago he couldn’t get anything to work after like 39 minutes of trying to get it to work.

They really need a way to host dedicated servers too.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I was hoping for something less spoiler-y but as it turned out I had the willpower not to browse the map and instead to just filter it! And also there don't appear to be any chunks close enough to my lake that 1-2 lines of text could easily locate them. Sorry for using y'all as a search engine.

Also, I found Caterium during my exploration and analyzed both the ore and quickwire. Last time through I had a jetpack by the time I located some, so I'm using the Blade Runners for the first time. They're no jetpack but they will surely the gently caress do!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Blade runners are arguably the better exploration device since they let you sprint like crazy for days. The Jetpack is just for getting over mountains.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Launching off belts with a jetpack gets you around the world pretty quick.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Once I get the jet pack I never take it off.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Balancing out the late-game production of items still takes a while, I should probably remedy that by going out into the world and building lots more factories around lots more resource nodes to just pump more everything into the system.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
Were the appearances of the splitters changed in a patch recently or is this a graphical glitch (having the directional indicators on the interior rather than the exterior)? Also, all of the metallic surfaces in my factory have had this weird green reflection that I can't recall being there in this biome.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Yeah, appearances for splitters and mergers appears to have changed with one of the recent note-less patches to the Experimental. Noticed it while ripping out my initial-landing factory which was making regular modular frames and engines, the latter from a manually-loaded container of Stators which are made offsite. Now I have a dozen containers of end products, an empty expanse of concrete next to a space elevator, and a big-box building with three stories designed to spit out 720 iron ingots per minute for shipment elsewhere.

Thanks to a judicious use of the map I was provided earlier, I've got like 8-10 stacks of Pure Quartz and an outpost set up to start shipping as soon as I get around to drawing an autopilot route. It's a loving relief to finally have access to a map in-game, and once I pick a location for the central factory truck routes will finally be set up and I can start building radar towers.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Is it just me, or is the new vertical conveyor only capable of moving materials upwards and not downwards?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
The first piece placed is always the input, so to go down you have to start at the top.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Cobbsprite posted:

Is it just me, or is the new vertical conveyor only capable of moving materials upwards and not downwards?

What Necrotic said, you have to click on something hanging off a cliff and drag down to make a conveyor lift that goes down.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
And it’s a placeholder model, so placing it certain ways causes to look like its bring material the wrong way, despite working correctly

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

How "complete" is this so far by Early Access standards?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

My impression is they have a very clear vision/roadmap and are pretty much just filling in content.
There's at least 20 hours of play at the current level (to unlock everything), and probably another 3-6 hours with the update released as experimental right now.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

The core gameplay is there, but there's a lot of content not implement, especially objectives.

I don't think anyone's expecting much of the future gameplay to play out differently to what's there now, since you are mostly finding, harvesting and processing resources, and that's going to be the same making reinforced plates as it is quantum computers. but there's a good few tiers of resources to find and things to make not yet put in.
On top of that, there's not actually much reason to make the current end products, since the goal tier they're for isn't implemented yet. You're only making them because making stuff is what the game is about, rather than any explicit objective.

Still, you'll probably get most of the main experience playing the game now as you will once it's out. You just have to be motivated to make complex efficient factories for its own sake, rather than to hit an endgame.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Exploring the handmade map and finding relics and stuff is probably another 5-10 hours of gameplay. Lots of cool caves, rare items at the top of mountains, and neat landmarks to take pictures of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I can't imagine they won't have other maps in the future, rather than just three starts on the same map

Also, something more to do with all the gobs of raw and processed resources you gather along the way. Hopefully it has some sort of infinitely progressing endgame ala factorio to give the factory some sort of meager purpose after you've unlocked the main stuff