Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Share Bear posted:

salesforce is enterprise jira for salespeople

and somehow not acquired by SAP yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Boiled Water posted:

and somehow not acquired by SAP yet

salesforce market cap is 165 billion dollars

pram
Jun 10, 2001
failsfarce

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Pryor on Fire posted:

For like 10 years there were a lot of people who did a real good job of putting the words "java" and "enterprise" really close together a lot of the time and my wires are still all crossed because of this bullshit

Did you know that Java is running on over 3 billion devices?

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Lambert posted:

Did you know that Java is running on over 3 billion devices?

Someone had better get after them! :xd:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Share Bear posted:

salesforce is enterprise jira for salespeople

loving thank you. i've been wondering wtf this was for years

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

graph posted:

there's a piece of software here that upon restart randomly assigns the licensing port from 1-65500

hey ours does that too

(probably both using flexLM SDK I guess?)

it's not completely random because I've only had to forward a few hundred ports so far

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Service Now just started emailing us all when we have 30, 15 and 5 days left on our password expiry

edit: haha, to manage notification settings you have to login to the OLD service now, not the current "modern UI" one

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Apr 30, 2019

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

The 'Enterprise' level HP SureStore P9500 Disk Array is managed by a pre-installed onboard management server running Vista. No, I'm not even loving joking.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

~Coxy posted:

hey ours does that too

(probably both using flexLM SDK I guess?)

nope its proprietary

e: we do have one that uses flexlm but its got a shite web frontend and if you dont explicity click a checkbox somewhere itll random assign on reboot

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Rivethead posted:

The 'Enterprise' level HP SureStore P9500 Disk Array is managed by a pre-installed onboard management server running Vista. No, I'm not even loving joking.

that is impressively gross

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

enterprise grade means day to day tasks require using a web-based management console written in a 12 year old version of java that shits itself if you use anything besides IE6 with all the security options disabled

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Wouldn't you like to know? Scroll down for pricing

Call us for a quote

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
written in vb6 by the owners nephew using whatever trial version of a Janus Grid* active X control that started displaying nag screens three months after it was deployed because the owner was too cheap to spend the $200.

salesmen have been clicking away the “you need to register” message from the invoice screen for over twenty five years

* http://www.janusys.com

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 30, 2019

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Rivethead posted:

Hewlett-Packard Enterprise Division posted:

Does your data center fear a catastrophic failure? Designed for organizations that simply cannot afford any downtime, HP XP P9500 Storage combines a high-performance, online-scalable, fully redundant hardware platform with unique data replication capabilities integrated with clustering solutions for complete business continuity.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
enterprise means the feature comparison page will compare the product to other products you've never heard of before, and it still doesn't explain what it does

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
the program icon looks like it was drawn by a 2 year old in mspaint, and the founder/ceo will fire anyone who dares to criticize it because he's very proud of it.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
enterprise grade means paying too much money for software you can't pay your employees enough money to use

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

the documentation still contains references to windows 3.1

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Sweevo posted:

the documentation still contains references to windows 3.1

true enterprise-grade software has the absolute thinnest documentation and requires you to go to the vendor's expensive training classes or hire consultants to actually do anything with it

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Mind your manners when talking to the king!

pointsofdata posted:

enterprise grade means that none of the people selling or buying the product have or will ever use it.

word.

to elaborate, "enterprise-grade" ensures that the people in your organization who have to use the product and the people in your organization who decided to deploy said product are completely disjoint sets.

by implication, "enterprise-grade" means that the user interface factors approximately zero into the purchasing decision. since the UI has a negligible effect on the product's marketability, there is no lower bound on how terrible it can be.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
enterprise grade means running in an unresizeable 800x600 window in 2019

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
enterprise grade means everything is in a tiny unchangeable 8pt font that looked fine in 1996

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
enterprise grade means search results are displayed in an unresizeable, unsortable 3 row high panel and you're expected to scroll three at a time through all 1000

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
enterprise grade means running on a windows 98 box that is deliberately not connected to the rest of the network

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
enterprise grade means a near 10 minute startup time, every time, for a program that hundreds of people in your organization use on a daily basis

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
op if you want to find out more just talk to your sales rep about it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

SO DEMANDING posted:

true enterprise-grade software has the absolute thinnest documentation and requires you to go to the vendor's expensive training classes or hire consultants to actually do anything with it

also if any of your employees get good enough such that you no longer need the consultants the company will poach them as a consultant

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
my two big takeaways so far re. enterprise grade software:

1) you can’t find the price online 2) it’ll look like it came from the 1990s

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

President Beep posted:

my two big takeaways so far re. enterprise grade software:

1) you can’t find the price online 2) it’ll look like it came from the 1990s

Please don’t sign with your mother’s “...dating...” strategies.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

It also means, we have this untested/experimental NEW THING we want to sell you!

enterprise means someone sold a sales engineer's 20% time project as a core product feature

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
enterprise means the vendor has employees with the title "sales engineer"

(it's me, i work for the enterprise vendor)

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I like the open source products that now sell an enterprise version as well

ansible tower, puppet ent, hashicorp...everything

Literally the open source functionality in the flimsiest wrapper of new features and "support" for hundreds of thousands/year.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

jimmyjams posted:

enterprise grade means search results are displayed in an unresizeable, unsortable 3 row high panel and you're expected to scroll three at a time through all 1000

lol if there's a search mechanism that does anything at all

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
my favorite enterprise grade program was the one i used which had a memory usage bar in the bottom corner. started the day at about 150mb used, and when it got to 500mb, it would crash.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

we have an enterprise grade program we have to use for documents. if you have it open on your laptop and you're on battery it goes from 7-8 hours of use to < 1.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
enterprise grade means its 20 years out of date and still incompatible between brands

i have a few enterprise grade fibre connections that wont run 100mb duplex with my gear, so i have to run them though a switch to duplex properly

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
enterprise grade means that it uses a parallel port dongle for licensing

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
my first programming gig i was the last dev/IT man standing and the company sold part of the company off and the buyers came in and converted all the servers to a small handful of VMWare machines, except the print server we used required a parallel port dongle, which couldn't be emulated.

it was my last week at that point and I just said 'lol' and stopped coming in because gently caress if I'm going to help with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

i worked for a school in 2001 and the entire school was managed using some terrible all-in-one "school management solution", which was basically a huge flat database (in a late-80s version of dbase) with hundreds of fields and a suite of editor programs all clearly written and designed by people who never communicated with each other. parts of it were still dos-based. just adding a new student and assigning them to classes took 15-20 minutes and required running five different programs.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 3, 2019