Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Yea, I feel for those who get laid off, but anything worth reading from there is still going to be written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

to the surprise of no one

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1123315495808249856

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Tim Marchman among the casualties.

https://twitter.com/timmarchman/status/1123313625622634496?s=20

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Probably being replaced by a former editor of Forbes.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Is that a stock photo of an Executive

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

I had to look twice because I thought it was Rob Heubel at first

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

R.D. Mangles posted:

It's what you look like when you've fully synergized your brands.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The Root being run by Bleach White Private Equity Fund Man is going to be quite a thing.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I want all Jontent to continue increasing in production time and runtime

I want his next Pretty Good to be released in May 2020 and take the entire month from start to finish

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Man, almost like we should have been outraged that a company that was successful profitable and privately owned was forced to sell because of a billionaire's vendetta. and people were literally cheering it because some of the old writers were dicks.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tinstaach posted:

I want all Jontent to continue increasing in production time and runtime

I want his next Pretty Good to be released in May 2020 and take the entire month from start to finish

17776 is a documentary.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Dexo posted:

Man, almost like we should have been outraged that a company that was successful profitable and privately owned was forced to sell because of a billionaire's vendetta. and people were literally cheering it because some of the old writers were dicks.

aj daulerio et al didn’t even suffer that much since they just sold it and weren’t personally liable

of course this process still happens to companies like cracked, which became an unfunny content farm for ads instead of a somewhat amusing content farm for ads, so firms are gonna do what they will

also don’t out people, especially if they’re megarich

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Inspector_666 posted:

17776 is a documentary.

It's one of the best things I've ever read

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

I had to look twice because I thought it was Rob Heubel at first

I absolutely thought the same thing :hfive:

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Deleted.

Can't wait for hard hitting, user-submitted, sports analysis that makes sbnation look ethical. Nevermind, they'll probably import the "Forbes wants you to disable your ad blocker" splash page line-by-line without change.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Timby posted:

So, Drew didn't spend a month in the hospital because he was drunk.

Heard on the deadcast he can't drink anymore because of his bad brain. Probably for the best all things considered, but what a weird freak accident. Given the uncertainty and weird media silence at the time I'm glad everything seems to be okay and he appears to be the same dude.

Shame about Marchman. Roth is better on the podcast and an excellent writer for deadspin, but Marchman was a good foil to Magary and seemed well-liked. The Gawker universe is strange in that some people go on to prominent gigs like Jia or Adrian Chen or even Kevin Draper. But a lot seem to flounder. Pareene is immensely talented and only recently landed a gig. Scocca's thing seems like kind of a flop.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

What the gently caress is this. https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/5/9/18537480/nikola-jokic-denver-nuggets-nba-playoffs

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

flexin that creative writing degree like it’s a mid aughts pitchfork review

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

My pitch: a 2003 free darko post written by 2002 bill simmons

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
man fails to understand spirit and text of rules and actual rule being applied, writes words

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

What am I missing? It’s not a good article but the rule seems kinda dumb

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

uggy posted:

What am I missing? It’s not a good article but the rule seems kinda dumb

it's a bunch of bitching about what amounts to "touchdown called back because player didn't get off field quick enough or was lined up offside" and not knowing about offsides and too men on the ice.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I watch like five hockey games a year unless the ducks make a deep playoff run so it's entirely possible that I too am a big dummy but to me calling it when a dude is clearly in the process of exiting the ice and not really impacting the play at all seems pretty ticky tack and not necessarily in keeping with the intention of the rule.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MourningView posted:

I watch like five hockey games a year unless the ducks make a deep playoff run so it's entirely possible that I too am a big dummy but to me calling it when a dude is clearly in the process of exiting the ice and not really impacting the play at all seems pretty ticky tack and not necessarily in keeping with the intention of the rule.

what's your opinion of a td getting called back because a player didnt make it to the sideline and caused too many men on the field

or because they lined up offsides or an in an illegal formation

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Every hockey fan Ive ever met and 99% of the online ones Ive seen hate the offsides challenge, largely because of situations like last night.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Every hockey fan Ive ever met and 99% of the online ones Ive seen hate the offsides challenge, largely because of situations like last night.

I was watching it last night and wondered why the linesman didnt blow it dead for offside to begin with.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

what's your opinion of a td getting called back because a player didnt make it to the sideline and caused too many men on the field

or because they lined up offsides or an in an illegal formation

If they're clearly in the process of leaving and just happened to be a step late getting off the filed I usually also think it's pretty silly, though this also doesn't really happen much to offenses so I'm not sure your hypothetical really works.

Offsides or illegal formation would depend. Those are both cases where generally the violation would have the potential to actually impact the play, which this doesn't really seem to have done. Trying to catch the defense offsides or draw them off with the snap is also part of the strategy of football whereas this just seems like dumb luck more than anything. There have been plenty of illegal formation calls that I thought were pretty ticky tack and dumb though.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MourningView posted:

If they're clearly in the process of leaving and just happened to be a step late getting off the filed I usually also think it's pretty silly, though this also doesn't really happen much to offenses so I'm not sure your hypothetical really works.

Offsides or illegal formation would depend. Those are both cases where generally the violation would have the potential to actually impact the play, which this doesn't really seem to have done.

nah, it's the same case. offside is a procedural penalty, an attacking team cant enter a zone with the puck until all of its players are out of the attacking zone, either by skating behind the blue line into the neutral zone (or in the case of the second period) by going to the bench and leaving the ice.

just like offside or illegal formation or too many men or illegal substitution, offside in hockey is meant to prevent a team from cheating the other one by getting a procedural advantage (in this case the offense entering a zone to attack before a defense is allowed to expect it)

I have no idea why landeskog stopped 4 inches short of being clear of the attacking zone and was offside, maybe he was trying to trick the sharks into not being set for the fast break

that it rarely happens at high levels of play is more because people it's such a basic thing not to gently caress up that people have beaten into them by the time they get to the professional leagues

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Do we really want to give refs more leniency in maybe falling rules when they feel like it?

Like you are considered on the field/ice until you get your rear end off is pretty cut and dried and even Landeskog agrees he hosed up rather than blaming the rule.. All changing the rule would do is shift the argument to “he was close enough!” Vs. “No he wasn’t!” which seems a million times worse.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
This isn’t sports-related, but I love Bill Simmons calling Adam Sandler’s commercial peak and most fan-beloved period “underrated”

https://twitter.com/billsimmons/status/1126565036648833024?s=21

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The old system where guys could be three feet offside and immediately score was so much better!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ElwoodCuse posted:

The old system where guys could be three feet offside and immediately score was so much better!

This sounds better tbh

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Remove the blue lines entirely. Ovechkin never leaves the circle

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

that it rarely happens at high levels of play is more because people it's such a basic thing not to gently caress up that people have beaten into them by the time they get to the professional leagues

Basically this. The only thing I remember about 2nd period line changes is that you always cross the blue line before you exit the ice/rink, and the highest level I ever played at is the sort of rec league where half the time you skated for the opposing team because not enough people showed up.

It's a stupid rule and a lovely way for a goal to be called back, but at the end of the day Landeskog is the one that hosed up.

Also, I have no idea why Petchesky keeps going on about it being a delayed offside call.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The point of the offsides rule is to stop dudes from cherry picking.

Figuring out if a skate is a half-inch above the ice a millisecond before the puck is really lame and dumb

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The point of the offsides rule is to stop dudes from cherry picking.

Figuring out if a skate is a half-inch above the ice a millisecond before the puck is really lame and dumb

That's literally the rule though. Every time these offside things come up people argue for exceptions that NHL has specifically declined to create

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

You must remember that these ticky-tack decorum rules that negatively affect the play and audience experience are in place because organized sports are only secondarily about expressions of competitive human athletics and primarily about socializing an acceptance of dehumanizing behaviors that make the populous into better citizens of the military industrial complex.

And to give people a reason to bitch at bars.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
"The offside rule is when the French mustard has to be between the teriyaki sauce and the sea salt."

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

This is rather niche, but if for some reason you've ever found yourself wondering what happened to No Fear, here is a nice long piece about that:

https://racerxonline.com/2019/05/10/the-rise-fall-of-no-fear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fauxhawk Express posted:

This is rather niche, but if for some reason you've ever found yourself wondering what happened to No Fear, here is a nice long piece about that:

https://racerxonline.com/2019/05/10/the-rise-fall-of-no-fear

This is actually pretty drat neat, thanks!