Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Painted the brake calipers. I dunno if AI has an opinion on this but I think it looks great (till it gets covered in brake dust)

Finally started going after that silverdollar sized hole. This was my first time using bondo and I learned a lot. I was following instructions off a ChrisFix video on diy rust repair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Chunjee posted:

I was following instructions off a ChrisFix video on diy rust repair.

oh god no

OH GOD NO!

That's all gonna start cracking out in a hurry, especially if you use the door at all.

At least it's just a door, and.....

Only on a race car, not a road car

When you have to redo it next year, find a welder that will let you do the prep work and weld it up for you for a case of beer. cut out a patch for it, clean it up, have him weld it, and then do the finishing work over that.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Apr 29, 2019

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Powershift posted:

When you have to redo it next year, find a welder that will let you do the prep work and weld it up for you for a case of beer. cut out a patch for it, clean it up, have him weld it, and then do the finishing work over that.

Thanks. Trying to make friends with a welder for my hitch problem. If this isn't going to last I may just knock it off and have him do both.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've also gotta ask, did you try to pull the dent out a little?

bog really doesn't like to flex, and if you put it on too thick, could start to crack as the inside keeps curing. door skins are extremely flexible, you can usually see them move quite a bit when you shut the door or have the stereo cranked. On a Nissan they probably flap in the wind at highway speeds.

Having access to the inside through the gloryhole, you could probably pull the dent out so you only really need a light skim coat of bog.

Also, when you're sanding, you either want a sanding sponge or block, not a kitchen sponge like that video. a soft sponge would move with the highs/lows in the body/repair instead of leveling them off. It's a little more difficult on compound curves, but on a flat curve like that, a 2x4 would probably be better than a kitchen sponge. They won't show up much on white paint anyways, but in black paint it would look like a fun house mirror.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Powershift posted:

I've also gotta ask, did you try to pull the dent out a little?

bog really doesn't like to flex, and if you put it on too thick, could start to crack as the inside keeps curing. door skins are extremely flexible, you can usually see them move quite a bit when you shut the door or have the stereo cranked. On a Nissan they probably flap in the wind at highway speeds.

Having access to the inside through the gloryhole, you could probably pull the dent out so you only really need a light skim coat of bog.

Yeah the skin was flexing quite a lot with just a light press from the outside. That was obviously going to cause a problem so from the inside I did my best paintless dent repair impression till it was no longer moving. Applied a body patch to the hole from the inside. But it's still probably 1/4th inch thick in places. From what you're saying it sounds like I should have pressed it out more.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, You want to cut a piece of cardboard or something stiff to match the door profile on an undamaged part of the door, or on the door on the other side and flip it, and try to get it as close as you can.

Thick bondo on a flexible panel will start cracking like this

It's different on a quarter panel or fender, because the compound curves give the metal more stucture, but on door skins like that you really want to use as little as possible.

e: thinking about it, where are you at? those things should be hitting the pick-n-pulls, and a door there is like 50 bucks. You could just stick with your repair until you find a color matched one.

https://row52.com/home

e: or spend $200 on 4 black doors and pretend you're a cop!

Powershift fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 29, 2019

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

There was a 2nd Gen Xterra at my Pink-n-Pull recently but it's probably cleared out by now. If a white one shows up sure I'll nab that door but I am not holding my breath. Maybe wheen 2005+'s start showing up more frequently. Will keep an eye out.

Chunjee posted:

I visited the junkyard Saturday, a 2nd Generation Xterra showed up on in my inbox alerts a few days ago and I'm praying it hasn't been picked clean already because I've been waiting for one to show up for months.
Coincidentally it was black and all the doors were usable. Would've made some good cop cosplay.

Powershift posted:

It's different on a quarter panel or fender, because the compound curves give the metal more stucture, but on door skins like that you really want to use as little as possible.
:hmmyes:

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 29, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Pink-n-pull. Man, what a place.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Pink-n-pull. Man, what a place.

What a wonderful, magical place!

The last time i was in there, there was a 70ish bmw with a crank sunroof. If i had the tools, i probably would have cut it out and bought it.

I also go straight to conversion vans now, because they're filled with such wonderful goodies.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Moved it to it's new home on Saturday.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Fronts done. Got a screaming deal on these rotors from Amazon.

Yeah there's a lot of rust down there but I wire wheeled the critical areas and applied anti-seize where needed.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Did up the wheels with the addition of incredibly-not-in-the-USA Honda "H" caps from a buddy out in California who just happened to replace his wheels on his Big Cab. Also replaced the old and dumb wood with new fresh wood along the sides and tailgate. Proper lil' handsome truck now.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
I have no sense of scale, compared to that Bongo you had is the Honda much smaller?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

How does something have less than 5000 miles, and still have a giant dent in the tailgate?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Chunjee posted:

Painted the brake calipers. I dunno if AI has an opinion on this but I think it looks great (till it gets covered in brake dust)

Finally started going after that silverdollar sized hole. This was my first time using bondo and I learned a lot. I was following instructions off a ChrisFix video on diy rust repair.

I'm in favor of painted calipers. A glossy finish usually is a bit easier to clean, and in the case of cast iron calipers, 100% less rust. The nice bit of color is welcome, too, or even just silver.
On the Bondo, yeah, what everyone else said. 1/4" is way too much. 1/8" is pushing it. With a hole like that, you need a friendly welder. Heck, epoxy and some sheet steel (from the inside), then a little bondo to smooth the transition would be acceptable. Better than a hole, anyway.

angryrobots posted:

How does something have less than 5000 miles, and still have a giant dent in the tailgate?

Some idiot took it off the showroom floor.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

angryrobots posted:

Camry driver.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Kastivich posted:

I have no sense of scale, compared to that Bongo you had is the Honda much smaller?

Much smaller, think the size of one of the John Deere things mowers drive around, or those Polaris whatever-the-hells. It's got half of a Honda Goldwing 1000 powering it. 550cc compared to the Bongo's 1500cc.

EDIT
Here it is next to our Prado

angryrobots posted:

This Acty has just under 40,000 km (~25,000 miles), the 5000 mile one is the Suzuki Carry I just bought, but that won't be here for another two months. That has a flawless tailgate:

This Acty was used as a little work truck for someone though, and they loved it because they kept up on all the maintenance beyond what they needed to do (stuff like incidental boots being replaced) and even made a little vinyl hat for the stick shift knob when it was out in the sun that matches the seat vinyl. :3:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 29, 2019

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

Camry driver.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

KakerMix posted:

Much smaller, think the size of one of the John Deere things mowers drive around, or those Polaris whatever-the-hells. It's got half of a Honda Goldwing 1000 powering it. 550cc compared to the Bongo's 1500cc.
Oh neat. That is a really good comparison.

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

Finally put some wheels on the girlfriend's Prius; 17" WedsSport TC-005 with Toyo Extensa HPII. Looks tons better than the old 15s. Also did an alignment while I had it on the rack. Haven't noticed a significant difference in MPG going from the 15" LRR tires, maybe because the new wheels are so light? I dunno.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Not gonna lie, I really like the look of a done up prius. They're pretty decent looking. Also those are some nice looking wheels.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

MasonF posted:

Finally put some wheels on the girlfriend's Prius; 17" WedsSport TC-005 with Toyo Extensa HPII. Looks tons better than the old 15s. Also did an alignment while I had it on the rack. Haven't noticed a significant difference in MPG going from the 15" LRR tires, maybe because the new wheels are so light? I dunno.

Extensa HPIIs are the best all seasons I've ever used by far, they were a solid 70% as good as the potenza summers I'm on now. Great choices on both tires and rims, it looks fantastic.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

Not gonna lie, I really like the look of a done up prius. They're pretty decent looking. Also those are some nice looking wheels.

That generation, honestly the worst bit to me is that tacky chrome taillights. Lose all that and we can talk. I have the same problem with any contemporary car that has huge swaths of plastic chrome that isn't a reflector for a bulb. gently caress Toyota for starting that crap with the Altezza.

Speaking of, has anyone but me noticed the head- and taillights on the Chevy Sonic? It's like the clear lens that should be over all the elements fell off or something.

Kind of a bitch to clean all those nooks and crannies, I bet.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Speaking of, has anyone but me noticed the head- and taillights on the Chevy Sonic? It's like the clear lens that should be over all the elements fell off or something.

Kind of a bitch to clean all those nooks and crannies, I bet.

I always notice that. It looks like it got smashed off and never fixed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Exactly!

Edit: it looks like the earlier models of that generation had red lenses over what is now black areas on the taillights, so no idea why they didn’t just make them clear. Other than LOL cheap GM. Not sure on the headlights.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Called the nearest Chevy dealer to get it in the shop for a "special coverage adjustment" (so not quite a recall, but a free fix if it happens). The lines from the fuel pump are loving plastic, and they eventually crack. Mine cracked awhile ago, but for several months just resulted in a slight gas smell. It's now marking its territory every time I park it, MPG is in the toilet, and it loving REEKS.

Got the front desk the first time. Sat on hold for over 20 minutes for service. Grabbed my work phone, called with that, and immediately got service. They said I needed to speak to a service advisor (understandable). Got transferred to voicemail for one. Left a voicemail around noon. Still no call back. (and my other phone was still sitting in their hold queue by the time I finished leaving a voicemail - I left it on the call to see if anyone ever picked up, the battery died after an hour and a half).

This dealer's parts department has been fantastic to deal with the two times I needed parts (gave them a part number, they ordered it, I picked it up the next business day - no fuss, and so far, always cheaper than Amazon and generally on par with Rockauto). It looks like their service dept isn't as great. Too bad, they're the nearest Chevy dealer, and /r/Austin recommended their service dept.

e: the original coverage just replaced the fuel pump. On my model, the current revision of the bulletin also includes a new tank and filler neck. I don't have any evap codes (no codes at all, and for the first time possibly since I've owned the car, the evap monitor is showing ready... clearly the PCM is broken), so I don't really care if they do the tank and filler or not. I just want my MPGs back, and I want to be able to drive it without smelling like gas.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 1, 2019

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Got distracted in the workshop last night and had a play. I've been hacking out the rotted arches and welding in nice clean metal and decided to put a wheel back on just to see. There's a good 3" off the arch already, they were that lovely underneath I had to just get rid and scorched Earth the situation. It's getting some widebody overfenders anyway (which considering this is 'widebody' anyway makes me laugh).

So this is pretty much where the wheels sat previously, obviously with the original arch 3" closer to the tyre.

And this is pretty much stuffed in as far as possible.

You can lose some big wheels in this car, a friend's running 11" wide 19"s on his but I want some oldschool Japanese rims.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You can lose some big wheels in this car, a friend's running 11" wide 19"s on his but I want some oldschool Japanese rims.

I know exactly which wheels you're thinking of, and a lot of guys have gotten them widened, or even converted them to 3 piece.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Those are German :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Now you're just splitting hairs, axis is axis.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Y'know I've just noticed the valve hole on the original rim hasn't been filled on those and now I'm annoyed.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

That's his belly button.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I can't tell if you're joking or not! If not, lower than that.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I picked up a FD RX7 to balance out the C6 Corvette.

It has been in a buddy's garage for years now I think I have both mold death and the hantavirus.
Video, it's a pretty big mess
https://youtu.be/t7f8iXmAnm0

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

bird cooch posted:

I picked up a FD RX7 to balance out the C6 Corvette.

It has been in a buddy's garage for years now I think I have both mold death and the hantavirus.
Video, it's a pretty big mess
https://youtu.be/t7f8iXmAnm0

You know what you need to do now.
(see Rob Dahm's project)

Also, lol: "as you can see, it has no engine. That's not abnormal for RX-7s."

edit: Texas, eh? Howdy partner! (I'm in the DFW area.)

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

You know what you need to do now.
(see Rob Dahm's project)

Also, lol: "as you can see, it has no engine. That's not abnormal for RX-7s."

edit: Texas, eh? Howdy partner! (I'm in the DFW area.)

So he needs to put an lsx in the rx7?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yes, and drag a rotor.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

EvilBeard posted:

So he needs to put an lsx in the rx7?

And a rotary in the Corvette.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Darchangel posted:

And a rotary in the Corvette.

Been done several times before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Been done several times before.

Even by the factory! Though only in a concept.