Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's not a big Crisis style crossover.
In the Rebirth special, it's implied that Dr Manhattan had a hand in the universe rebooting with the New 52, and Batman found the Watchmen smiley face pin embedded in the wall of the batcave.
There was a short crossover with Batman and The Flash investigating the pin, but it didn't really add anything.
In Detective Comics, Tim Drake was transported to a prison for a while, run by Superman's returned birth dad, which seemed to involve the big blue guy, but nothing really came from it.
I think that's it for tie-ins

Doomsday Clock is meant to have started one year into the future of DC and have the comics catch up to it, but that's kind of been dropped.
There's about to be a 'Year of the Villain' lead up to whatever mega event Scott Snyder has planned, which is probably not going to be interrupted by a full reboot, so I wouldn't expect that at the end of Clock.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

George Kansas posted:

Is doomsday clock supposed to be a massive event on the level of, say, crisis on infinite earths? I know it hasn't finished yet, but I suppose I'm kinda curious for how big of an event this is in comparison to other recent DC events. Introducing Watchmen to DC doesn't seem like that huge of a deal at first glance, even if it gives Alan Moore an aneurysm.
I guess it depends on what you mean by big Crisis style event. Compared to most of those it's remarkably self-contained as an actual published story, so it's not a massive event like that.

It is a big continuity/universe/multiverse style redefinition like Crisis on Infinite Earths, though. It was revealed (in the 2016 DC Universe: Rebirth one-shot, on sale nearly three years ago) that the story that has been told about how DC's "New 52 Universe", the one all of their 2011-2016 comics were published in, was not an entirely new universe created by Flashpoint, but in fact was the same old universe* everything from 1986-2010 (or at least 2006-2010 or 2008-2010, depending on how you interpret previous Crises) but Doctor Manhattan had manipulated things to make everyone forget about that.

This plot thread was largely unmentioned and unaddressed in any DC Comics at all for a year or so, until a Batman/Flash crossover called The Button which was heavily rewritten at the last minute (it was solicited/hyped as the return of Jay Garrick, there was a cover with Jay Garrick on it, the final comics have Jay Garrick's hat appear in a dream) and that book announced/revealed DOOMSDAY CLOCK was coming.

It's been heavily, heavily, heavily teased that Doomsday Clock is going to resolve with either a new new Universe or more likely some sort of restored old DC Universe where the Justice Society, Legion of Superheroes, Flash Family, etc. exist again (they'd been written out in 2011, and have been teased as coming back for three years or so now) but all of that is contingent on Doomsday Clock wrapping up, which is legitimately not scheduled to happen now until August at the absolute earliest.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Thank you both for explaining all of that, I was looking stuff up but it can be pretty difficult to get a handle on certain things outside of PR-speak and fans geeking out. I remember hearing about The Button before it came out- how have they had so many teases for the Dr. Manhattan plot amount to nothing?? That’s wild.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

George Kansas posted:

Thank you both for explaining all of that, I was looking stuff up but it can be pretty difficult to get a handle on certain things outside of PR-speak and fans geeking out. I remember hearing about The Button before it came out- how have they had so many teases for the Dr. Manhattan plot amount to nothing?? That’s wild.
I don't have any inside information so I have no idea how much of this is standard comic book hype/fakeouts and how much is actual reshuffling/creative changes but this sort of thing happens a lot when a given plotline 'belongs' to someone. In this case, Geoff Johns, who from 2010-2018 held an executive role as "Chief Creative Officer" at DC.

When the New 52 started in 2011, Johns was writing three books for the relaunch; Green Lantern, Aquaman, and Justice League. From all accounts this was a lot for someone who was also supposed to be overseeing the entire line (and DC's movie/TV/multimedia projects) and so within a couple of years he'd dropped Green Lantern and Aquaman, and was hypothetically supposed to just do one monthly book while focusing on Big Picture stuff (and the Batman Earth One OGN series). But for whatever reason he'd still keep taking on new projects, like a backup Shazam serial in Justice League that was supposed to spin out into an ongoing series, but because of his schedule the Shazam serial ended in the summer of 2013 and the series only started last fall. He'd launch books like Vibe and Justice League of America out of Forever Evil as a co-writer only to have them sort of collapse into whatever they ended up being for a year or so before they ended. He revamped Superman with John Romita Jr. for a run that ended up only being seven issues.

Then came Rebirth in 2016, where he wrote the one-shot that set up the new universe and served as a springboard for his forthcoming Three Jokers series and also Doomsday Clock. This one-shot came out the same month as the end of his Justice League run, and aside from "showrunning" (meeting with the writers for all of the Rebirth books and brainstorming ideas for them) and co-writing the Green Lantern Rebirth one-shot, he was supposed to focus all his comics-writing efforts on Doomsday Clock, Shazam, and Three Jokers, and most of his time on the movie/TV side of things. All three of these books were supposed to launch sometime in 2017.

Meanwhile, the DC Universe comics kept coming out every month -- twice a month for most of the big titles, since that was the gimmick for Rebirth -- and all of the plotlines from the Rebirth one-shot were marked as Geoff Johns things. Last year Johns stepped down/was asked to step down as Chief Creative Officer of DC to focus on writing/producing a Green Lantern movie, and it certainly seemed like he had a significantly reduced presence in terms of creative/editorial at DC as people like Snyder and King rose to prominence, Bendis came over from Marvel, etc. All three of these writers (among others) have talked about how certain characters and plot points will make more sense/be fully explained "after Doomsday Clock", but the endpoint for Doomsday Clock has slowly expanded out from "2018" to "the end of 2018" to "early 2019" to I guess now August or September, though the way things are going I wouldn't be shocked if it ends up closer to the end of the year.

In the meantime, there have been a bunch of stories that boil down to "Hey, is this Doctor Manhattan screwing with the Titans? Nope, it's Mister Twister! But who is behind Mister Twister? Maybe we'll find out one day..." or "Did Doctor Manhattan create two Supermen? No, it was Mister Mxylptlk! But he was doing it to try to save Superman from... Doctor Manhattan? Nope, it's Mister Oz! But who is Mister Oz? Why it's... oh, it's Superman's dad, plucked out of time! But who plucked him out of time???? I guess we'll find out one day..."

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Almost exactly 12 years after The Clown At Midnight, Grant Morrison has graced us with another prose comic :toot:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 1, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1123581920787324929?s=19

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
DC put out a 25c comic today. Is it worth my money to pick it up?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's essential if you're reading Justice League, or if you wanna know why Lex will be appearing at the end of every comic for the rest of the year.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's free on Comixology if you don't want to spend the money.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's not a big Crisis style crossover.
In the Rebirth special, it's implied that Dr Manhattan had a hand in the universe rebooting with the New 52, and Batman found the Watchmen smiley face pin embedded in the wall of the batcave.
There was a short crossover with Batman and The Flash investigating the pin, but it didn't really add anything.

It brought back the Flashpoint Thomas Wayne as a villain, ruining the one good thing to come out of Flashpoint and making it so both Detective Comics and Batman each have a different gun-loving antihero Batman from a dystopian timeline running around in the background of each book. And that's not counting Ceno-Batman for all of Snyder's (and now Williamson's) books with Batman in it. 3 Jokers? Try 4 Batmen.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Autism Sneaks posted:

It brought back the Flashpoint Thomas Wayne as a villain, ruining the one good thing to come out of Flashpoint and making it so both Detective Comics and Batman each have a different gun-loving antihero Batman from a dystopian timeline running around in the background of each book. And that's not counting Ceno-Batman for all of Snyder's (and now Williamson's) books with Batman in it. 3 Jokers? Try 4 Batmen.

Wait, how did evil batdad get brought back to life and intodc prime?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

McCloud posted:

An incredibly angry Superboy Prime punched the walls of reality so hard it shook him out of his universe and into the mainline DCU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

McCloud posted:

A giant universe-collecting Brainiac preserved the Flashpoint timeline, then Convergence happened and it was "restored" up to the point it was going to be erased again, but Dr. Manhattan held it together long enough for Flash and Bats to visit with the cosmic treadmill and then let it finish being "retconned" as they escaped. Thomas was shown disappearing into nothingness but apparently Dr. Manhattan wasn't done with him because he's now running around the main universe palling around with Bane trying to get Bruce to quit his job.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Did The Button reference Convergence? I'm sure Didio told everyone other than the Earth 2 and Telos writers to forget it ever happened immediately.

edit: Or after the Supermen Reborn.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 1, 2019

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

It's actually at least five Batmen:

Bruce Wayne, Regular rear end Batman
Thomas Wayne, Evil Gun Toting Flashpoint Batman
The Batman Who Laughs, aka Evil Joker Batman
The Grim Knight, aka Punisher Batman
Arkham Knight
There are like forty other Batmans in Batman Who Laughs but I think they've all been murdered already. To power up an evil Batman machine!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Edge & Christian posted:

Arkham Knight
There are like forty other Batmans in Batman Who Laughs but I think they've all been murdered already. To power up an evil Batman machine!

This makes me wonder about works that are derivative of Batman throughout the comic publishing industry. You could probably fill an entire line of Batman like characters.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Young Justice has kept up with the Dr. Manhattan stuff by saying it's less of an alternate timeline and now just repressed memories? Again? Maybe?

It also retconnected Stephanie's dad back to life to no apparent surprise to her, so I guess the continuity status is very "uhhhh."

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Edge & Christian posted:

Arkham Knight

Who is The Grim Knight? And what about Midnighter? Did he get shunted off after Rebirth?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Schneider Heim posted:

Who is The Grim Knight? And what about Midnighter? Did he get shunted off after Rebirth?

The Grim Knight is one of the Dark Multiverse Batmen that is currently in the Batmini that Snyder is writing because who can't get enough Batman Who Laughs in their lives right

Midnighter is in The Wild Storm, where it looks like all the Wildstorm characters were shunted back out of the DC universe after Rebirth

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I dunno, I like the batman who laughs and the grim knight. I particularly loved that punisher bats was ultimately taken down by Gordon

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

Did he get shunted off after Rebirth?

Midnighter and Apollo was out after Rebirth.

Edit: Looks like they haven't been used since. If Steve Orlando hasn't had them in a cameo somewhere, then they're probably off the table (or at least while The Wild Storm is on.)

I just rechecked the end of the M+O and they didn't kill 'em off or anything.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:58 on May 2, 2019

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just read a bunch of comics so here are my thoughts because you need them badly.

25c comic. Not really worth the money. Was more of a 4 page per story primer and nothing there really interested me much. Which leads into....

Justice League As much as I am loving Snyder channeling his inner Morrison, this whole Perpetua/DOOOOOOOOOOOM thing is really really really really dragging out. I appreciate the scale and scope of it but it has been 20 something freaking issues (I think) of build up and some extremely convoluted mythologizing going on. Seriously, try explain this to a person who doesn't read comics and make it sound interesting. There is this woman and she gives birth to universes and she made three sons who represent....stuff. And one son makes worlds for her but if a world does....something....it goes away and he makes another one. And she was supposed to gently caress off and die or something but instead she decided to have the worlds have people who hate each other because she is really a jerk so her siblings locked her away but Lex Luthor set her free because he....I think wants something? Also Luthor shoves the word "DOOOOOOM" into every sentence which is very awkward.
That being said, Darkseid's cameo was hilarious so that might have been worth it.

Green Lantern I was a bit nervous on this one seeing the last time Morrison wrote a prose comic it had terrible poser art and it was so bloody pretentious that Morrison pretty much out-Morrisoned himself. Luckily GL didn't have terrible poser artwork so this was very pretty to look at at the very least. One thing this comic actually made me do is take note of the lettering. I wasn't a big fan. This makes me realise that I don't usually pay attention to lettering. So thank you GL comic for making actually notice the lettering. The story itself was fine and actually quite fun. I kind of liked that Hal's Jordan ring had built up some internal mythology that was straightforward enough. And again, beautiful artwork

Young Justice Another comic I am really enjoying. I never really read the PAD YJ but have been catching up on it via trade/comixology and I am really enjoying the catch up. Bendis' is clearly a fan and it's nice to see him bringing back the PAD stuff even though it doesn't make much sense. It is also nice to see Bendis actually acknowledge the stuff and do some reveals (again even if it doesn't make much sense). I am hoping this all leads to Secret making a return too.

Batman Well Knightmare is done and it had some high points and low points. The story that is building off that is starting and even though this is an issue where Bat is pissed off and beating up everyone, nothing really happens except Bane saying "dance puppet dance". I am really feeling like all King's stuff would be better read as a trade because the single issue stuff makes it seem like nothing is happening.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Knightmate just felt like 6 solid issues of pure filler.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Bane stands at the entrance of a comics shop: "Excuse me. Wallet inspector."

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So DCeased is a thing and it reminds me a lot of Marvel Zombies. Basically, all gore favorite characters, but some of them are now flesh ripping monsters

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
It wasn't terrible either which is very surprising.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
The dialogue was super rough.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Young Justice 5 gave me happy chills.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

It's definitely a little mediocre at the moment, but I'd say it was a fairly novel way to start off an outbreak event that isn't just something suddenly appearing out of nowhere. It might fit better as a TPB so how the next few issues shape up will determine how good it is.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The art was a bit crap, especially since there were two artists.
The cartoony one with Vic at Apokolips was better, but didn't fit with the other guy or the tone.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised. There are way better uses for Tom Taylor though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Pat Gleason's left DC for Marvel.
http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2019/05/05/marvel-comics-announces-exclusive-agreement-with-pat-gleason/

edit:
DCeased seems to be doing well. It beat Batman in BC's retailer poll.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/05/05/bleeding-cool-bestseller-list-5th-may-2019-its-as-if-thanos-really-did-snap-away-half-the-populatio/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 6, 2019

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

WAIT, WAAAAAAAIIIIIT YOU FORGOT TOMASI, YOU FORGOT TOMASSSSIIIIIIIII! :saddowns:

Jiro fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 6, 2019

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/PeterJTomasi/status/1125182827400708101

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

This was a bad and wrong post, I confused Gleason and Tomasi.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/robertliefeld/status/1125917630873751552
Thank you, Didio.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I mean was that because most of those don't have comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I mean was that because most of those don't have comics.

I bet Rob cold pitches random books every few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That sucks because I am coming to appreciate Rob art.

Major X only getting one Rob issue is a bit disappointing.