Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Moriatti posted:

Target audience demographic is deffo 23-35 with parents and children as a bonus.

My 8yo pokemon playing kid is pretty hyped to see it. As am I, despite still wanting Danny DeVito to be Pikachu's voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Larryb posted:

Technically that's impossible as Gen 2 features an encounter with a shiny Gyarados as part of the plot (which is also the only one I've ever encountered when playing these games, though then again I don't really care about going out of my way to look for them).

Yes yes I mean non-guaranteed ones encountered in the wild. I've gotten a few through events and trades.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

I haven't been this hyped for a movie in some time, I need to borrow someone's kids so I don't look like a pervert

I am expecting either an audience full of 20-somethings or an audience of just children when I go, no in between. Either way, it's gonna be kind of awkward

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Larryb posted:

Technically that's impossible as Gen 2 features an encounter with a shiny Gyarados as part of the plot (which is also the only one I've ever encountered when playing these games, though then again I don't really care about going out of my way to look for them).

lmao do you really have to be that person. No one counts the gyarados because it's the guaranteed one and shinies are all about a rare chance.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is there any trick to catching the Gen 1 legendary birb in X or am I really stuck roaming Kalos forever praying the annoying thing doesn't decide to change routes across the country before I can reach its location?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The advantage of living in a country that usually offers a dub and sub is that you get older audiences at the sub showings, especially the ones at the start of the evening. It makes watching something like the Teen Titans movie not so awkward.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

mandatory lesbian posted:

I am expecting either an audience full of 20-somethings or an audience of just children when I go, no in between. Either way, it's gonna be kind of awkward

Y'all are, like, a decade too late to feel weird for watching "kids stuff".

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

SuperKlaus posted:

Is there any trick to catching the Gen 1 legendary birb in X or am I really stuck roaming Kalos forever praying the annoying thing doesn't decide to change routes across the country before I can reach its location?

I think I kept camping the border of two routes in which it could show up and checking every time I crossed. If I was on the same route as it, I would go hunting.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

SuperKlaus posted:

Sorry lil' buddy never managed to climb that mountain myself. I'll just say roaming mechanics suck ungodly amounts of peen.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 2, 2019

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

RatHat posted:

Is there a spreadsheet of goon ORAS friend codes? Having friends is nice for grinding O-powers.

I almost forgot about this. I don't know of any spreadsheet but you can add me. Code is 3798-2728-5770, name is KLAUS! with a star symbol at the end. I could use a helping hand doing a trade-back to evolve a Scizor too, and if by coincidence my little collection has anything where you want the HA I can share. I've gathered a few now from X Friend Safaris and OR hidden 'mon.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SuperKlaus posted:

I almost forgot about this. I don't know of any spreadsheet but you can add me. Code is 3798-2728-5770, name is KLAUS! with a star symbol at the end. I could use a helping hand doing a trade-back to evolve a Scizor too, and if by coincidence my little collection has anything where you want the HA I can share. I've gathered a few now from X Friend Safaris and OR hidden 'mon.

Sure, I'll help you trade whenever. Only Pokemon I'd want are a HA Shroomish with a alright nature or a Ditto(any nature), otherwise I'm good.

Friend code is 4356-5724-6402, name is Rathat. Anyone else feel free to add me too

EDIT: Either catch me when I'm on(I'll be on a lot tonight) or send me a PM here when you want to trade.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 1, 2019

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
"I'm not modest"
I like that they actually got some Pokemon nerds involved with this to produce these kinds of references to the games, rather than just making it a movie with weird creatures.

Also, they probably showed half the movie in trailers by now... how many trailers are there going to be?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Entropist posted:

"I'm not modest"
I like that they actually got some Pokemon nerds involved with this to produce these kinds of references to the games, rather than just making it a movie with weird creatures.

Also, they probably showed half the movie in trailers by now... how many trailers are there going to be?

your post made me want to go check out the new trailer, and

lol

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Search Level's effect on everything except Shiny chance caps at 100 right?

Also, are Horde encounters just crazy rare or what? I'm at 5 gym badges and I've caught all the Pokemon in nearly every area I've encountered and still never saw a Horde battle. I know you can force it with Sweet Scent or Honey but I thought they happened randomly too.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

RatHat posted:

Sure, I'll help you trade whenever. Only Pokemon I'd want are a HA Shroomish with a alright nature or a Ditto(any nature), otherwise I'm good.

I can help you on both counts :) So long as you're OK that the Jolly HA Shroomish has no maxed IVs. Nor the Ditto.

edit: give me ten minutes or so and I'll be on and free

You are most welcome. Fistbump emoji!

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 2, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah that's fine, I don't care about IVs. Want to trade right now?

EDIT: Thanks a lot! Didn't you want to trade evolve too though?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 2, 2019

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

RatHat posted:

Search Level's effect on everything except Shiny chance caps at 100 right?

Also, are Horde encounters just crazy rare or what? I'm at 5 gym badges and I've caught all the Pokemon in nearly every area I've encountered and still never saw a Horde battle. I know you can force it with Sweet Scent or Honey but I thought they happened randomly too.

They do happen on occasion, but sweet scent is the fuckin' way to go. I spent so many weeks trying to catch a goddamned Taillow in X before learning about sweet scent.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

indigi posted:

your post made me want to go check out the new trailer, and

lol

me: i bet that top article is gonna be some stupid film vs video bull poo poo
article: "i believe that the true difference between my movie and sonic the hedgehog is, detective pikachu is shot on FILM :c00lbutt:"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I like the look of the Pokemon world in Detective Pikachu. The city stuff with all the neon and food booths and stuff, it's like cyberpunk but happy. And that contrasts with the forest that looks really rich and verdant. The whole thing is very slightly exaggerated so the Pokemon fit in better.

They didn't just film in California with totally normal lighting and punch in a CGI Pikachu after

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

The White Dragon posted:

article: "i believe that the true difference between my movie and sonic the hedgehog is, detective pikachu is shot on FILM :c00lbutt:"

I figured the article would be something taken out of context or whatever. I'm glad you pointed it out because reading the director of photography's take really gave me that fart-smelling atmosphere that dude lives his life in.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Gripweed posted:

I like the look of the Pokemon world in Detective Pikachu. The city stuff with all the neon and food booths and stuff, it's like cyberpunk but happy. And that contrasts with the forest that looks really rich and verdant. The whole thing is very slightly exaggerated so the Pokemon fit in better.

They didn't just film in California with totally normal lighting and punch in a CGI Pikachu after

There also isn't a Very Serious Military Guy to "ground" your story by talking about how what's happening is crazy and weird. Everyone but the main character seems to love Pokémon, and it's a basic character conflict that he doesn't at first.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

It also kind of helps that the Detective Pikachu movie is directly adapted from an already existing game. We have a story written specifically with the Pokémon characters in mind: Pokémon mostly behave like intelligent animals, but don't speak human languages. The one that can directly communicate with both humans and Pokémon can gain an insight not afforded to others and can solve problems together). and the world is basically one where Pokémon and humans live side by side and that's normal.

With the Sonic movie, they used the cliche "Popular cartoon character ends up in the real modern world" that so many movie adaptations have done (That CGI Smurfs movie comes to mind).

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 2, 2019

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zuzie posted:

It also kind of helps that the Detective Pikachu movie is directly adapted from an already existing game. We have a story written specifically with the Pokémon characters in mind and the world is basically one where Pokémon and humans live side by side and that's normal.

With the Sonic movie, they used the cliche "Popular cartoon character ends up in the real modern world" that so many movie adaptations have done (That CGI Smurfs movie comes to mind).

Also Alvin and the Chipmunks etc. I dunno I'm just really tired of that particular take. So loving happy detective Pikachu isn't going that route.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Zuzie posted:

It also kind of helps that the Detective Pikachu movie is directly adapted from an already existing game. We have a story written specifically with the Pokémon characters in mind (Pokémon mostly behave like intelligent animals, the one that can directly communicate with both a human and Pokémon can gain insight and solve problems together). and the world is basically one where Pokémon and humans live side by side and that's normal.

But sonic regularly exists alongside humans in his games too. It's just a little weird in those cases

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The president has a picture of shadow and sonic on his desk

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

El Burbo posted:

But sonic regularly exists alongside humans in his games too. It's just a little weird in those cases

sonic has had two (three?) completely separate human girlfriends, one of which definitely wasn't 18 yet

the first chick was just blonde jessica rabbit though, and they never appeared together in public

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 2, 2019

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Sonic's lore has a lot of issues. Mostly because Sega of Japan, America and Europe all had different backstories regarding Sonic with little communication between them.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Late to this convo, but my first shiny was a Scrafty in Black2, I love that green dumbass. Then gen6 was shinytown: Dragalge, Trevenant, two Lampents thanks to the Friend Zone or whatever it's called, a hatched Snivy (!!!)...

Haven't found any on gen7 yet, sadly.

Pokemans are cool.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Man there are a lot of Pokémon in Gen 3 that are near useless until they evolve. Snorunt, Swablu, Nincada, Shroomish, Ralts ect. It’s fine for Pokémon like Caterpie/Weedle/Wurmple since they evolve early but Snorunt evolves at level 42!

I was gonna put Trapinch on this list but turns out it has 100 attack so it can do some damage if it survives a hit.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Just got through the Tate and Liza fight in the anime. I honestly can't get mad about Thunder Armor because, as absurd as it was, it looked cool; they should have a Flying/Electric Armored Swellow in Sword/Shield. I also liked the characters' reaction to it, which I think was a bit of a Signal from Fred (Liza: "I can't believe that worked!" Max: "But Swellow's a Flying type!").

By the way, it was a really odd choice to have Lance, rather than Steven or Wallace, be the one to save the day in the Groudon/Kyogre two-parter. I guess the Lake of Rage two-parter went over well so they turned the resolution of the Magma/Aqua storyline into a sequel to it? Also, both Archie's animators and his dub voice actor were really having fun hamming it up, weren't they?

Edit: It was also an interesting choice to downplay the "psychic twins" angle with Tate and Liza and have them bicker like actual siblings.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 2, 2019

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Silver2195 posted:

Just got through the Tate and Liza fight in the anime. I honestly can't get mad about Thunder Armor because, as absurd as it was, it looked cool; they should have a Flying/Electric Armored Swellow in Sword/Shield. I also liked the characters' reaction to it, which I think was a bit of a Signal from Fred (Liza: "I can't believe that worked!" Max: "But Swellow's a Flying type!").

By the way, it was a really odd choice to have Lance, rather than Steven or Wallace, be the one to save the day in the Groudon/Kyogre two-parter. I guess the Lake of Rage two-parter went over well so they turned the resolution of the Magma/Aqua storyline into a sequel to it? Also, both Archie's animators and his dub voice actor were really having fun hamming it up, weren't they?

Edit: It was also an interesting choice to downplay the "psychic twins" angle with Tate and Liza and have them bicker like actual siblings.

Lance is cool and should get his own spin-off or doing Pokémon super-spy stuff

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

I've always interpreted that scene as Swellow's Guts ability in action but taking it to an extreme.

quote:

The portrayal of Psychic characters in Pokémon's media is an interesting one. In the games they're fairly common but it's more of an informed ability as you fight with Pokémon and are beaten in the same way as any other trainer. After Sabrina and her patently absurd abilities, humans don't display that sort of power any more and canonically psychic characters have their abilities absent or greatly toned down. The writers have even forgotten that Ash had the power to manipulate aura at some point.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

Lance is cool and should get his own spin-off or doing Pokémon super-spy stuff

They actually could, come to think of it. Have him fight against Team Rocket's top agents like Domino from Mewtwo Returns. Have him interact with Will and Karen, who have literally never made an appearance in the anime, ever. Dogasu has remarked that the anime writers must hate the Elite Four, and I'm not sure why they would, but they definitely don't give them much focus, do they? Even Lance's appearances don't count, because only Gen II Champion Lance appears in the anime, not Gen I Elite Four Lance.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zuzie posted:

I've always interpreted that scene as Swellow's Guts ability in action but taking it to an extreme.

The portrayal of Psychic characters in Pokémon's media is an interesting one. In the games they're fairly common but it's more of an informed ability as you fight with Pokémon and are beaten in the same way as any other trainer. After Sabrina and her patently absurd abilities, humans don't display that sort of power any more and canonically psychic characters have their abilities absent or greatly toned down. The writers have even forgotten that Ash had the power to manipulate aura at some point.

Adventures focuses on humans with paranormal powers a lot more, although not much on Tate and Liza, oddly enough.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Silver2195 posted:

Dogasu has remarked that the anime writers must hate the Elite Four, and I'm not sure why they would, but they definitely don't give them much focus, do they? Even Lance's appearances don't count, because only Gen II Champion Lance appears in the anime, not Gen I Elite Four Lance.

the anime writers love the elite four they just hate ash so he always fucks up his chance to meet them

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

The White Dragon posted:

That's bizarre. They're both CGI uncanny valley, but Detective Pikachu just kinda leans into it by a) using weird Pokémon like Psyduck, Mr. Mime and Ludicolo so the uncanniness works in their favour, b) at least staying vaguely on-model, whereas half the problem with this Sonic is he looks so different from the one in the games and c) having that grimy kinda noir setting where these ugly distorted versions of things we know and love (exhibit A: that Jigglypuff) make sense.

Also actually looking like it has a proper story with heart, but you know.

Zuzie posted:

Sonic's lore has a lot of issues. Mostly because Sega of Japan, America and Europe all had different backstories regarding Sonic with little communication between them.
This was also entirely deliberate because the goal was to make Sonic as marketable as possible and if that meant different regions getting different backstories to best appeal to their residents then so be it (it's also why there were two* very different cartoons, one silly and one serious, to capture both demographics). Then around the time of the Sonic Adventures they tried to force the whole thing back into one canon, with predictable results.

Hell, the movie even calls Jim Carrey's character Robotnik rather than Eggman and it's actually really weird to see a presumably official piece of Sonic media do that in 2019 (except as an off-hand joke like in Generations).

___
* well yes okay there were more than two. You know the two I mean.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 2, 2019

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
But Robotnik is the correct name tho!

Detective Pikachu seems like it's actually put thought into their realistic designs and world, it's got a cohesive art direction and understanding of the original material. Sonic is just...I mean, look at it.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

The biggest thing about Detective Pikachu is that all the Pokemon designs at least look like someone gave a poo poo about the source material. As stated before by previous goons, it feels like a labor of love, and it feels like at least SOMEONE working on it looks like they gave at least a bit of a poo poo about the end product.

Sonic, on the other hand, you can feel the design-by-committee and execs giving it the Poochy treatment. Nothing in any of the film's material released so far leads me to believe anyone cared anything about the franchise.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Dias posted:

But Robotnik is the correct name tho!

Detective Pikachu seems like it's actually put thought into their realistic designs and world, it's got a cohesive art direction and understanding of the original material. Sonic is just...I mean, look at it.
True, it does seem to be some sort of origin story for him so that does make sense.

I sorta feel like you could make a better movie by hardly having Sonic in it at all, just have him be the heroic equivalent of a horror movie monster that's only ever see in brief glimpses and have the story be completely about Robotnik's slow descent into full-on "I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG" madness.

And yeah, that's sorta what I meant by "on model". Someone there is making sure that the Pokémon look like Pokémon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There’s still an embargo on Detective Reviews just one week ahead of its release, which doesn’t usually bode well. Am probably still gonna watch it on opening night.