Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Waynes World 2 is so much better than Waynes World 1.

The Village People scene in WW2 is a highpoint. Even though it followed a time honored troup of straight guys accidently walking into gay bars, no one was weirded out by it. Walken was annoyed he couldn't find that construction worker spy, but didn't seem to be upset he was in the Tool Box.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Controversial opinion: Spanglish is better than Click.

Click isn't better than a pile of turds.

Spanglish is good though.

EDIT: hey 2 Christopher Walken movies! One poo poo and one good, which is probably his win/loss ratio for all his films.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I turned Click off when he fast-forwarded through sex with Kate Beckinsale. :cmon:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, Click was garbage. Couldn’t finish it.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

And another underrated 90s comedy (which also happens to me much better than the hopefully shitposting asking for movies better than Sandler late 90s trash), The Addams Family Values is superior to the first one in that series.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sand Monster posted:

And another underrated 90s comedy (which also happens to me much better than the hopefully shitposting asking for movies better than Sandler late 90s trash), The Addams Family Values is superior to the first one in that series.
:yeah:

It's really criminal how much better AFV is than OG Addams.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Empress Brosephine posted:

Name a better and more clever 90s comedy than Waterboy or Wedding Singer; you cant. Maybe Clerks?

...The Big Lebowski, Office Space, Groundhog Day, Rushmore, BASEketball, and City Slickers, to name a few that weren't already mentioned.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The correct answer was Orgazmo and y’all blew t

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The most clever 90's comedy movie was 1995's Kicking and Screaming which straight up predicted the new style of comedy that became popular in the 2000's/2010's for better or worse.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Krispy Wafer posted:

Thank you! Finally, someone agrees. I still love 1, but the reasons I love 2 moreso are:

- Walken
- Waynestock and the dreams
- Del Preston
- Garth's plot
- Better jokes
- The YMCA scene that even looks like it was a shitload of fun to make in the first place.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Easy Diff posted:

:yeah:

It's really criminal how much better AFV is than OG Addams.

Yeah. The first one is pretty good but the second one is brilliant. I always use it as an example of that rare beast, the sequel that’s better than the original.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

therattle posted:

Yeah. The first one is pretty good but the second one is brilliant. I always use it as an example of that rare beast, the sequel that’s better than the original.

I've never seen it, so I'll have to check it out. I've seen the first a bunch of times and it was pretty good, glad to hear that the sequel is better.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Thank you! Finally, someone agrees. I still love 1, but the reasons I love 2 moreso are:

- Walken
- Waynestock and the dreams
- Del Preston
- Garth's plot
- Better jokes
- The YMCA scene that even looks like it was a shitload of fun to make in the first place.

Those are funny ways to spell Chris Farley.

Also the Kung Fu fight with Cassandra's dad, the Graduate ending, and Charleston Charlton Heston. Wait, has it always been spelled Charlton? Why the gently caress have I always spelled it like the city?

Which brings up the greatest 90's comedy of all time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Krispy Wafer posted:

Also the Kung Fu fight with Cassandra's dad, the Graduate ending, and Charleston Charlton Heston. Wait, has it always been spelled Charlton? Why the gently caress have I always spelled it like the city?

Wait til you find out about Courteney Cox.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
What's an example of a film series where the sequels are significantly better than the original?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

OldTennisCourt posted:

What's an example of a film series where the sequels are significantly better than the original?

Off the top of my head, Bill and Ted. Waynes World as already mentioned. Deadpool. Depends how you want to treat the MCU I guess. I'd argue the fast and furious films are better from probably #4 onwards (depending on what exactly you want from that kind of movie). Kind of depends if all the sequels have to be better, but X-men 2 was significantly better than X-men, but then 3 probably wasnt.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

SiKboy posted:

Off the top of my head, Bill and Ted. Waynes World as already mentioned. Deadpool. Depends how you want to treat the MCU I guess. I'd argue the fast and furious films are better from probably #4 onwards (depending on what exactly you want from that kind of movie). Kind of depends if all the sequels have to be better, but X-men 2 was significantly better than X-men, but then 3 probably wasnt.

Hmmm MCU is tough, I've always viewed each movie as a MCU movie rather than a movie in a seperate series though I guess you are right.

Another choice is the Child's Play series where 2, Curse and Cult are all better than the original.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

OldTennisCourt posted:

The Purge in a walk, I'd say the first is the worst.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SiKboy posted:

Off the top of my head, Bill and Ted.

Nah. Bogus Journey is a ton of fun but is more a series of sketches than a movie.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Dark Knight 2, Batman 2, Superman 2, Iron Man 2, Captain America 2, Spider-Man 2...really any superhero movie once you've lifted the burdensome yoke of an origin story.

Ironically, Godfather 2 because it had an origin story.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

feedmyleg posted:

Nah. Bogus Journey is a ton of fun but is more a series of sketches than a movie.

Its entirely possible I am blinded by my childhood love of Bogus Journey, but I've always like it more than Excellent Adventure (which I still really like). I can understand your arguement but... They are generally really fun sketches and I stand by my pick.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

OldTennisCourt posted:

Gremins & Crank 2 but there's only 2 of each so im not sure if it counts. Both definitely take the "ramped up sequel" thing to new levels.

also the mad max series

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The Fast & The Furious movies, but I maybe wouldn't say "significantly" since I like the first film.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
friday the 13th definitely is improved upon in later movies (2,3,& 5 specifically) & helped turn jason in to a horror icon by the 3rd when he gets his mask, but the original is still better than the rest of the sequels i didn't mention.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SiKboy posted:

Its entirely possible I am blinded by my childhood love of Bogus Journey, but I've always like it more than Excellent Adventure (which I still really like). I can understand your arguement but... They are generally really fun sketches and I stand by my pick.

And I love Secret of the Ooze and but I'm not going to argue that it's objectively better than TMNT1.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Parachute posted:

Gremins & Crank 2 but there's only 2 of each so im not sure if it counts. Both definitely take the "ramped up sequel" thing to new levels.

also the mad max series

Mad Max yes (although this isnt to say I find Mad Max bad as such, the sequels are undeniably better), Gremlins... Sure. I find them hard to compare because I think they are almost different genres, with Gremlins having a horror tone and gremlins 2 being more of an up front action comedy. Crank on the other hand is the platonic ideal of an action movie while Crank 2 is merely "a good action movie". An action movie hero who *needs* to have an action scene every 10 minutes or he'll die? Simply too perfect to top.

feedmyleg posted:

And I love Secret of the Ooze and but I'm not going to argue that it's objectively better than TMNT1.

TMNT1 had precisely zero on screen appearances by vanilla ice. The objective winner is therefore obvious.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Gremlins isn't even the same genre between iterations.

But even if they were, Gremlins 1 is better than Gremlins 2.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
how are gremlins and gremlins 2 both not horror comedy/how does that prevent them from being included in a discussion about sequels? one is just a lot more heavy on the horror, and the other is just better overall.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Parachute posted:

how are gremlins and gremlins 2 both not horror comedy/how does that prevent them from being included in a discussion about sequels? one is just a lot more heavy on the horror, and the other is just better overall.

Gremlins is a fantastic little horror film with elements of dark comedy. Gremlins 2 is someone watching Gremlins while tripping balls.

It's been a while since I saw it last, but didn't the bad guy have sex with a Gremlin dressed up like a woman? I do remember Hulk Hogan in there somewhere.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

OldTennisCourt posted:

The Fast and Furious franchise?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Gremlins 2 is a god drat treasure

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i think a big part of my love for it (other than watching it way more as a kid) was that WB pushed Joe Dante super hard to make a sequel after Gremlins made like 10x its budget and he agreed and gave them a live action Looney Tunes movie. i mean there is an entire scene where people are just arguing about the semantics of the rules for gremlins in the first place (time zone changes, food stuck in your teeth, etc..)

also this skit is right on if you have never watched it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHtH_SHhc6E

edit: yeah its definitely implied that The Doctor from VOY hosed the lady gremlin

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Parachute posted:

Horror-Comedy vs. Comedy-Horror. It's the same as the difference between Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Horror-Comedy vs. Comedy-Horror. It's the same as the difference between Evil Dead 2 and Evil Dead 2.

evil dead is definitely a strange one because 2 is like a supercut of the original in the first 15 minutes with a few details changed then gets completely nuts and better in just about every way.

along those lines: TCM did the same thing with 2 by making it a comedy, not remaking the original i guess.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
does NOTLD and its adjacent movies count or is it like an "in name only" sort of thing? they aren't really sequels I guess but if they are counted then ROTLD is my favorite and is way better than the original. its hard to take that one in to account without considering the legacy the original left though imo.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I love Return but Night of the Living Dead is still a stone-cold classic

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bladerunner 2049.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Controversial opinion: Spanglish is better than Click.

Click was a movie that couldn’t decide what it was going for in terms of mood and makes a hard left midway through.

Spanglish was a good, low-key character piece.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

therattle posted:

Not just a sequel that's better than the original, but an even more rare beast: A good comedy sequel.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Parachute posted:

Basically; As others have said, its the evil dead/evil dead 2 thing. Gremlins is a horror with comedy elements, Gremlins 2 is essentially an action comedy with mild horror elements. I'm personally just not good at directly comparing the quality of movies in different genres. Compare the quality of two comedies, or two action movies or whatever, its broadly comparing like with like. But is my favourite comedy "better" than my favourite action movie? I do personally like Gremlins 2 more than Gremlins, but I'd hesitate to say its a better movie, its a movie in a genre I like better and that biases me right off the bat. I feel like Gremlins is probably a tighter-written movie, and I just forgive a lot of the faults of Gremlins 2 (Hulk Hogan).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

How is Hulk Hogan a flaw in Gremlins 2? That's straight-up one of the funniest scenes in the film.