Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I got pretty far along in the new world stuff last night but man is it tiresome. You can't use commuter docks, you can't use electricity, and every island is awkwardly made up of 60% rivers and mountains. It's annoying how much less efficient you can make it all without a ton of trade unions, those of which you can't even really afford after a while. I really don't get the commuter dock or electricity part, like why would that not be available in the new world? If I can ship the steel and concrete, ????

Anyways I'll post up some screenshots later tonight, I probably have to rethink my layouts a bit since I really, really need to utilize trade unions super well to keep this organized. I got everything up to chocolate in production but I straight up need more of everything to get to that 10k investors mark.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

If you ever watched Angry Beavers as a kid, my thought process when it comes to New World islands is basically "Dagget angrily stomping items into a suitcase"

I think I've got just about every tile I could realistically use taken care of here. And this is after I moved the banana plantations off to another island.

Edit: Oh something I don't think anyone's mentioned is how in your powered industrial zones you start seeing little trucks instead of horse drawn wagons zipping about. They move faster and unload faster, very nice.

Also...for the love of your sanity give your oil refineries fire departments next to them. They have a habit of exploding due to high productivity.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 30, 2019

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
How much actual input can a warehouse handle? All the game gives me is how many loading bays there are, but I have no idea how that really translates into how many production buildings of particular rates I can keep connected to a single warehouse without getting it clogged.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Guildencrantz posted:

How much actual input can a warehouse handle? All the game gives me is how many loading bays there are, but I have no idea how that really translates into how many production buildings of particular rates I can keep connected to a single warehouse without getting it clogged.

Eh, because of cart travel time that's pretty hard to determine. I usually make sure there is a warehouse for every 4 buildings that will be needing loading/unloading to it.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Guildencrantz posted:

It’s variable based on if they need to both supply and pick up and the timings of that production chain. Lumberyards prcoess every 15 seconds vs 2 minutes for beef, etc. It also doesn’t matter if the warehouse has too many trips pending so long as it’s not actually slowing down production. I’ve had 4 buildings swamp a warehouse while another could manage 8 because of those differences. 1 per 4-5 buildings is generally safe, but you can get away with a bit less if need be.

Another thing is that you should always build extra warehouses over upgrading them unless space is at a premium. The first warehouse has 2 carts and 2 reserve for 19 upkeep, the second adds a cart for 49 upkeep, and the last another cart for 99 upkeep. 5 level 1 warehouses process 10-15 loads for the same cost as 1 level 3, which processes ~5. This doesn’t factor in the exponential building costs up front either.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 30, 2019

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Another reason it's hard to figure out how many buildings you can use before you overwhelm a warehouse is that if a building is affected by electricity (double production or requires it) the building will stop sending out horse drawn carts and start sending out little early trucks when juiced up. The trucks not only move faster but load/unload faster.

Also the second upgrade to warehouses (from 3 to 4 cargo bays) quietly increases the warehouse capacity of the entire island. Which is part of the reason I'm kind of irritated the New World warehouses upgrade only once. Not only is space a premium on New World islands (if previous gripes didn't explain that) but it would be so nice to upgrade their island capacity. Oh well, the harbor storage space exists for a reason.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Is increasing fields beyond limit with the shift key basically just for aesthetics?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

aesthetics and/or preparing for getting one of those dudes who gives +production at the cost of +more tiles.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Uh, apparently, according to this quest George Smith gave me, I'm supposed to deliver these three refugees to, hm, those selfsame three refugees. This is getting too Becket for me.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Whoever designed all the new world islands to have rivers galore has extremely questionable design skills and I don't believe they ever played the actual game with their own islands.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I suspect the new world islands being a mess is exactly why the game has farm plots down to 1-tile increments. Imagine if you had to place farm plots like you do animal pens: large x by y blocks that could only be within a certain radius of the farm. like in 1404 and 2070.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I don't mind the rivers as long as it's a big island. When it's a tiny island and it has a ton of rivers but it's also the only island with the right fertilities I'm just done.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
On the other hand (maybe?) having spent a considerable time in the Midwest US the idea that farm fields somehow can’t cross a road is momentarily baffling.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I can't seem to figure out how to turn quests in, I pickup the item with my boat and go to the boat the quest wants to in order to deliver it and no clicking/dragging combo seems to allow me to give it to them.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

socialsecurity posted:

I can't seem to figure out how to turn quests in, I pickup the item with my boat and go to the boat the quest wants to in order to deliver it and no clicking/dragging combo seems to allow me to give it to them.

Go real close to the boat and then click on the boat, make sure no other AI prompt is up at the moment. Like no newspaper or AI message, nothing.

If it doesn't work, click on your boat and then the target again. There's often a weird delay.

----

On another note, I'm going to aim to streamline the poo poo out of my old world stuff today so I can remove any and all trade unions and such I don't need, and clean up my overproduction and trade routes. Once it's as close to perfect as I can get, I'm just going to go to the new world and lose my loving mind until it's all finished. I really underutilized how strong electricity and the production sliders were originally, I can get rid of like half of my steel/pigs/grain/etc. The new world sucks comparatively so I kind of want to get the entire old world complete so I can just puzzle together the new, start shipping things to their proper destinations and be done without trying to think about what my needs will be later on.

I found calculator #1 which is nice as it lists the total amounts really clearly, pairs well with #2 for more fine tuning of actual production values when I add electricity and such.

1. https://schwubbe.de/index.php
2. https://nihoel.github.io/Anno1800Calculator

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 30, 2019

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

On the other hand (maybe?) having spent a considerable time in the Midwest US the idea that farm fields somehow can’t cross a road is momentarily baffling.

More baffling is why museums/zoo modules have to be adjacent to eachother, when you're limited to 1 per island anyhow.
The radius for bonuses could just be from the entrance, but let me plop down the modules spread out a bit more, game.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I also really enjoy that the radius on oil refinery is always like 3 tiles too short to get all 5 or 6, you always need a second or third building for 1 loving tower.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What are those character items without any stats you sometimes get from quests for?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Flavour items with no benefit other than to sell for usually pretty small sums of money. (Currently, atleast.)

It's a bit annoying because in the closed beta I remember the pirate ships dropping ship equipment like crazy, while now it's mostly character items.
(Though the weapons and rum they can drop is pretty useful.)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

SubNat posted:

Flavour items with no benefit other than to sell for usually pretty small sums of money. (Currently, atleast.)

It's a bit annoying because in the closed beta I remember the pirate ships dropping ship equipment like crazy, while now it's mostly character items.
(Though the weapons and rum they can drop is pretty useful.)

Alright cheers, I'll just ignore them, then.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Well poo poo, just got up from a game session, got dressed so I could go to the shop for some milk whereupon my roommate quizzically told me it was past 11PM and the shop was closed. Last time I even looked at the time it was 9PM or something, game has me way too hooked.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Another heads up: Loading time is a function of the total tonnage on the boat, something like 1 second per 2 tons, a fully loaded steam cargo ship can sit in port for 3+ minutes. There are items to reduce loading time, a really good one being the epic propellor that is movespeed and -50% loading time. Get those for your old/new transports or you add like 5+ minutes onto a 5+ minute trip already.

EDIT: 19 minutes start to finish :wtc:

EDIT 2: I got my first ~4000 investors going... and honestly lost all interest because now its just fighting the trade/UI more than ever. I think I'll wait for some patches/DLC like I kind of said already.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 1, 2019

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I take it that when you get a bugged quest with no objective you might as well just abandon it?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Pretty much. Always fun when you get "collect 0/0 items" Since there's nothing you can do might as well abandon it.

And yeah Mazz I think I'm in the same place. Was tempted to work on an expedition or see what other crazy items/workers I could get but...think I'll wait for new stuff.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Alkydere posted:

Pretty much. Always fun when you get "collect 0/0 items" Since there's nothing you can do might as well abandon it.

And yeah Mazz I think I'm in the same place. Was tempted to work on an expedition or see what other crazy items/workers I could get but...think I'll wait for new stuff.

The problem is I’m still in Anno mode so I either want to start a new even more optimized game or reinstall 1404. I’ll probably start another game and try to min/max the old world as much as possible and hope they do a first balance/UI patch in the next week or 2 (which makes trade/UI/new world a little less draining to interact with).

On the plus side I have a very good idea of how I want to lay out my entire old world side of things now.

:negative:

Mazz fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 1, 2019

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

The worst thing about the trade window is that it's actually fairly easy to understand once you fiddle with it. The downsides of it is that it just spits out error messages and has some weird UI things. God help you if you ever want to use the full six slots on a Cargo Vessel's inventory because the sixth slot overlaps with the "delete port" button.

The issue for me is frustrating because there's other strategy/sim games I want to play but have updates coming out this month and I don't want to burn out on them (Oxygen Not Included releasing, Surviving Mars having a terraforming pack) Wheras 1800 is here...and needs some cleanup as you said.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
The trade window needs two things for me to like it 100% more:

1. A time that displays the last route’s duration from start to finish (updates every full run). I don’t care if it varies with wind just give me a basic number so I don’t have to stopwatch my boats if I want to know their route timing. Also display the loading time somewhere if its going to be 2+ minutes per station w/ full loads.

2. Flesh out the alert details and more importantly let me disable them individually. I don’t care if the storage is full or the station is taking too long on some of my trips, I don’t need to be notified every time or the route to be flagged.

Reserve features or ship-set-amount features would be cool too but ultimately I realized I don’t actually need those, I just need better data on the rest of the stuff.

The rest of the UI is just stuff like global production data and a house counter somewhere, little stuff like that they omitted for no reason. The stats building in the Arctic UI will likely help a lot there, hope that’s not too far off.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 1, 2019

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Can we make it so that when you mouse over your trade routes it actually shows the route on the map, right now you have to click on it to see the route line and it is so annoying. 1404 you could mouse over just fine.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

yeah that's really loving annoying

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I keep clicking on ships to try to add them to the trade route too. :sigh:

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Is there a chart anywhere of what the various NPCs like? Wiki's got nothing.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
If you go to the trade screen, you can mouse over thee different harbors and see what they are requesting. The actual NPCs requests vary per island need, and they only ever want 50 max of something. You can't set up any good long term trade with the other AI, only the neutral harbors. You can load up a ship with what a few of them want and see all your excess for the best prices possible, but it requires a lot of clicking on your end. The other AI are better used to pick up more good from your harbors by setting the slider pricing in your warehouse.

The neutral AI only have a handful of specific requests, and they are static and will take infinite. The big ones are prison guy wants soap and potatoes, blake wants coal and pirate lady wants schnapps, beer and rum. The other lady wants fur coats and lol if you are trading those away. The pirate lady pays a pretty insane amount for beer and is the best single trade partner once you get peace with her.

New world lady wants cannons, which can be a decent moneymaker if you have a lot of excess production.

----

On another note, I changed my mind yet again and decided to get this new world poo poo organized.

By maxing out trade unions and using the sliders to boost (and cut) production where I could, I am supporting the rum, coffee, and cotton needs for all 24000 pops on my artisan+ island from this one new world island. I should have the space for the rubber trees as well.

Chocolate and tobacco will be interesting, I'm getting so much extra cocoa and tobacco from the trade union guys I might only need like half the fields I normally would, and thats before any additional trade union stuff. All my coffee roasters make chocolate as well.

Their happiness is only in the blue but I couldn't give a poo poo if they don't throw any festivals.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 2, 2019

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

I mean what actions they like to build up happiness to get alliances and trade deals.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Man Alonso Graves does not gently caress around. Snuck attack me and stole my second island in the late worker era, so I ended up having to reconfigure my starting island to industrial hellscape to mass produce frigates. Stole his second island and started sniping all his individual ships with a horde of frigates, which has become a lot more dangerous now that he's got ships of the line. Still haven't been able to retake my island since he fortified it pretty heavily, though hopefully my own ships of the line will make it doable. Also haven't had the time to dedicate to reaching the new world, even after reaching nearly 1000 artisans.

Yall ever tried keeping your main island as the industrial hub and starting a second one to be the tourist hub? Thinking I'm gonna be stuck attempting this.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Eschatos posted:

Yall ever tried keeping your main island as the industrial hub and starting a second one to be the tourist hub? Thinking I'm gonna be stuck attempting this.
A lot if people find this easier than trying to transplant everything from your main island but the trade off is you are going to be needing g a lot of trade routes to shuffle goods around and make sure they're adequately supplied.

Again doable but can take some wrangling because of the way ships on trade routes tend to bunch up at the nearest dock. Some islands are better suited than others depending on which way the beaches are facing.

The best way to deal with hostile AIs that I've found so far, one the initial battles are over, is to camp their shipyard with as many ships as possible and blast anything that comes out. Helps ensure they can't reach critical mass again and take you on. It's a cheap tactic, but so is refusing to negotiate for over an hour then extorting you for hundreds of thousands of dollars for a ceasefire when they're the one on the ropes.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Eschatos posted:

Your first island is always better as an industrial hub because it has the oil on it to start with, so it must have your first steam shipyard and your first Motor Assembly shop as both require electricity, and you can't bring oil to any other island until you have those to build oil tankers. And since you're building an Oil Power Plant there, you might as well have most of your other big industry there to take advantage of it.

The follow-up question is, is it an island big enough to hold a lot of population? If not, I'll have a different island be my main population hub and beauty parlor. If it is... I've traditionally just said "gently caress it" and tried to make it work as both, but it's a really interesting idea to take a small island that doesn't have much more than farmers and fields on it and have the museum and zoo and harbor over there.

Edit:

To be clear - I have one island with a big city which has all tiers of population; every other island I try to keep at farmers or farmer/workers, which reduces the amount of shipping that needs to happen.

The big city, therefore, inherently has to have fur coat makers, glass makers, goulash makers and kitchens, sewing machines, and concrete on it because all of those require artisans/engineers and you need them before you can build commuter ports; but none of those pollute, so it's not a problem for attractiveness and happiness. Sometimes I'll sneak a few steel-makers on because it makes my life easier (use native mines to produce steel girders and steel bars rather than ship back and forth), but that's a trade-off with pollution, but if that's where my oil is, that's where the industry goes.

I need at least one other worker-level island that can have all of the pig-farmers and sausage/soap-makers - this is going to be a lovely, polluted island so I'll try to move steel, charcoal, and brass over to there, but it's dependent upon size and closeness to the big city. My starting island, which has oil, is always either this lovely industry island or the big city island, depending entirely on size.

Other islands stay farmers to get raw goods; once I need the mines out of them I'm usually at the point where I can build commuter docks. The only exceptions are when my starting island only has one or two clay deposits; then I'll get a tiny island with clay on it and get workers run up there because only 2 clay pits is a slow strangling death.

What I haven't considered is making one of the farmer-level islands my 'pretty' island - I've always put my zoo and museum on the big island in part due to theme and in part due to offsetting the pollution there. Making an otherwise empty island into a cultural preserve is actually a really neat idea I may try out.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 2, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Eschatos posted:

I did it a little differently but on the same idea:

First island was/is all farmers and workers, with just enough artisans and engineers to get commuter docks before downgrading them back to the first 2. I also had some pigs and industry here till I could move it off. Skeleton is right about the oil but I found it was easy enough to just make a power plant and steamship yard long enough to make a oil tanker, then just delete those and ship the oil elsewhere. This island only produces the things workers and farmers need, no excess, and I ship in the pig goods from the production islands.

You can see the oil dropoff in this one, I've shown more detail in previous posts.

The attractiveness of the island after I threw on a small zoo with some of the epics/legendaries I had sitting and filled all open space in with temperate grove.

Once you get to commuter docks, you can offload all industry/pollution to a seperate island and just make everything there. This has the added benefit in that since nobody lives there, you can jack up all the production sliders to 50% and nobody gets unhappy. The businesses will riot occasionally, but not nearly long enough to affect production if you scatter in some police station. This is true for all island without population btw, I have 3 little small farm and fur islands that are boosted to 150% as well.

I really can't overstate how incredibly strong this is paired with electricity, I can support 30,000 people from this island with chains of like 3-4 buildings at 250% instead of 12 at 100%.

As I said, the happiness/attractiveness doesn't matter at all with no population present.

And finally, I made a third island for all artisan+ population that will be filled with giant zoos and musums once I get the entire population upgraded and their needs fulfilled.

The whole process does take a lot of trade ships but you can slap a lot of piers down to make up for that, you can see my line of 5 in the last shot at the very top as an example. Y can also use the larger steam cargo ships to both transport 6 types of cargo one way but also pick up other goods in those slots so long as they are dropped off completely each trip. This often means you can move 7 or 8 goods per boat instead of 6, so long as its one directional per resource.

Leaving for the weekend today so I can't quite get it done but at this point I just need to settle an island I already took over in the new world for rubber and additional oil and I'm essentially done.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 2, 2019

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Man that's a pretty city you've built there.

Also, I'm hoping for a little more variety in island shapes at some point. This is the historical harbour of the city I live in, and I want something like that to gently caress around with.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

Man that's a pretty city you've built there.

Also, I'm hoping for a little more variety in island shapes at some point. This is the historical harbour of the city I live in, and I want something like that to gently caress around with.

Yeah, more bays and fjords would be nice, though I wonder how well the boat pathfinding would play with it.

I imagine they might avoid them due to the overwhelming defensive benefit you get from them, but I'm absolutely down for more island variety, and hope they sneak in a couple new variants with each DLC.

(Though you can't really replicate Bryggen without near-perpetual rain and flooding though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

SubNat posted:

(Though you can't really replicate Bryggen without near-perpetual rain and flooding though.)

Oh yeah, we're gonna need more disasters. At least we have fires.

Fun fact for the thread: our city's football team is literally named "Fire" because our city was pretty much constantly on fire before the 1900s.
Edit: and during WW2.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 2, 2019