Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The Y2k bug destroyed the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Can't discuss the death of adventure games without this: http://www.oldmanmurray.com/features/77.html

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Negrostrike posted:

Some say the 90s and the 20th century ended with 9/11 and I can't blame them. Makes perfect sense.

Others, though...

This was also the birth of the crass rear end in a top hat culture of the early 2000s.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Negrostrike posted:

Some say the 90s and the 20th century ended with 9/11 and I can't blame them. Makes perfect sense.

Others, though...

That's a good one. It's basically the nail in the coffin of Grunge Era 90s. With Bubblepop Millennial Silver being a transitionary form until 9/11 just obliterates everything.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

What’s arugula?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Negrostrike posted:

The 20th century ended with the fall of the Soviet Union. The 21st started with 9/11. In between was The End of History.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I like how this is also a movie about Henry Hill.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twistedmentat posted:

I like how this is also a movie about Henry Hill.

It was years after I saw that movie that I learned it was semi-based on Henry Hill.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Randaconda posted:

It was years after I saw that movie that I learned it was semi-based on Henry Hill.

Yea i didn't know until they mentioned it in the History Buffs video for Goodfellas.

Henry Hill could have gotten a job in the Trump Administration, he loved committing crimes, just like everyone Trump hires.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I remember him on some radio show years ago where he tried to pimp his new pasta sauce business. It was sad.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mu Zeta posted:

I remember him on some radio show years ago where he tried to pimp his new pasta sauce business. It was sad.

Pasta crimes belong in the anti-food thread

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

Pasta crimes belong in the anti-food thread

gonna need a taxonomy ruling re: pizza crime

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pastry of the Year posted:

gonna need a taxonomy ruling re: pizza crime

I'm pretty sure the Fat Boys were 80's, that's a time crime

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Mu Zeta posted:

I actually just picked up two jars of his pasta sauce from Amazon. Haven't tried them yet.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm pretty sure the Fat Boys were 80's, that's a time crime

Not to mention that it’s well established that there are no goddamned pizza rules

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Oh, is it late 80's/early 90's cereal time?

Two cereals in one, WOW! This was around the time when Nintendo anything blew my little-kid brain.

"Sweetened Chex with marshmallows" was pretty drat tasty. And of course it was Ninja Turtles.

This was one of those one-off cereals that never survived the couple years it was on shelves in the 90's. It wasn't that great but damned if I didn't beg my parents to get me a box one day. I remember most of the sprinkles would be left in the bottom of the bowl.

Imagine Cap'n Crunch that doesn't cut your mouth and also some of them have fruit filling. This stuff was awesome and it's a crime that it didn't last more than a couple years. The closest you can get now is Kellogg's Krave, which is all-chocolate.

If you've never tried this, it's not exactly like Rice Krispies Treats. It's more like if someone tried to make Rice Krispies Treats but didn't use any butter and just enough marshmallow to get a few bite-sized clumps to stick together. I loved this horribly unhealthy garbage.

I remember this cereal mostly because of memories attached to it. One of my neighborhood friends had a box and shared some with me one day after school, which is probably where my unhealthy sugary cereal addiction started. Then we played Mike Tyson's Punch-Out on his parents' huge rear-projection TV, and then I asked my parents for an NES for my birthday. Thanks, Paul!

Also, the commercial had the Batman theme blaring as a spoon slammed into an overfilled bowl and sent cereal pieces flying everywhere. To a 6-year-old, that's pretty amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnjTmpWMTrA

...I ended up being a pretty fat kid. Please do not buy your kids sugary cereal for breakfast.

DizzyBum has a new favorite as of 17:17 on May 1, 2019

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DizzyBum posted:

Oh, is it late 80's/early 90's cereal time?

Two cereals in one, WOW! This was around the time when Nintendo anything blew my little-kid brain.

I can still remember how absolutely terrible that stuff tasted.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I remember it tasting strongly of artificial vanilla, like C-3pO’s and a bunch of other tie in cereals of the 80s. Kind of like those funnel cake fries all the food trucks were hawking a few years ago.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The only thing I remember is that Cookie Crisp was disappointing in that I disagreed with their claims that it tasted like cookies :catbert:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Iron Crowned posted:

The only thing I remember is that Cookie Crisp was disappointing in that I disagreed with their claims that it tasted like cookies :catbert:

:same:

Cookies my rear end, this is cereal. These chocolate chips taste like CEREAL!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nerds was the superior licensed cereal

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Ive always had trouble eating super sweet things but goddamn those commercials were so effective at getting me to beg my mom for sugar cereal that I inevitably hated.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Randaconda posted:

Nerds was the superior licensed cereal

The nerds bowl that had the nerds dam which you could open up to de-segregate your different coloured nerds.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I loved sugar cereal as a kid, but we hardly ever got it and when we did it was always Popeye Sweet Crunch. I loved that poo poo, and the shape was way less mouth-slicing than the Cap’n.

I hate most sugary cereals now though. A bite or two, sure, but then my tongue starts wanting to die.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The only cereals I could count on being available in my house at any time were, Rice Krispies, Corn Flakes, and Cheerios, AKA the garbage no kid wants.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Those plus Shreddies, and Shredded Wheat. We'd be lucky to get Life.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I know it is still around (isn’t it?) but Count Chocula was massively underrated. Cocoa Puffs were/are dog poo poo compared to Chocula. Cocoa Krispies are the best between them and Cocoa Pebbles.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

The only cereals I could count on being available in my house at any time were, Rice Krispies, Corn Flakes, and Cheerios, AKA the garbage no kid wants.

Yeah, it was usually those three in the house at any given time. The sweetest cereals I was allowed to get as a kid were Berry Berry Kix and Frosted Mini-Wheats. I really only started eating lots of sugary crap when I was a little older and visiting my dad every other weekend; he let me get whatever junk food I wanted.

dialhforhero posted:

I know it is still around (isn’t it?) but Count Chocula was massively underrated. Cocoa Puffs were/are dog poo poo compared to Chocula. Cocoa Krispies are the best between them and Cocoa Pebbles.

Count Chocula is still around, yeah, as are Franken Berry and Boo Berry. The latter two usually only appear around Halloween. I loved Cocoa Pebbles but they got soggy so goddamn fast.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea Count Chocula is the king of cereal monsters.

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013

Lester Shy posted:

Speaking of adventure games, anybody have a soft spot for FMV games?

Head over to the Internet Archive and take a gander at the FMV games. Tons of unreleased curios if you love the stuff. None of it remotely good, but if you're into 90's style and attitude it's a good trip in time. Just be prepared to fire up your VM.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Raisins are nature's candy.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I ate like 3 bowls of this one morning and then my aunt came to pick me up to go swimming.

I ended up puking the minute she pulled into the driveway, all over the floormats of her red sports car.

I've always felt bad for that.

That cat had those cool flip up headlights and had a loving LCD display for the speedometer that looked like a curve composed of chunky 80s squares and might have even had auto-locking seatbelts. That car deserved better than my puke .

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Pop-up headlights fall into the same category as that Douglas Adams bit about humans thinking digital watches were pretty nifty.

I dunno if car alarms were old hat in America by the 90's, but here in NZ we thought Grandad's brand new 92 Corolla was pretty swanky because it had an alarm. It was known as 'the pop-pop car' because of the lock/unlock chirp it made.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
One of the great joys of my adult life is buying whatever loving cereal I want.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Imperador do Brasil posted:

What’s arugula?

It’s a veh juh tuh bull

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Jaguars! posted:

I dunno if car alarms were old hat in America by the 90's, but here in NZ we thought Grandad's brand new 92 Corolla was pretty swanky because it had an alarm. It was known as 'the pop-pop car' because of the lock/unlock chirp it made.

I've been selling some old car magazines on ebay, and flicking through them to check their condition I noticed that there's suddenly an explosion in ads for car alarms in about 1992-ish. Late 80s, nothing. Then suddenly there are four or five ads in every issue all through the mid-90s. Then it dropped off again.

Handbrake/steering wheel locks too.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWW9BhGg71I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
My mum refused to buy sugary cereals, we were a sad cornflakes and raisin bran household :cry:

I remember once I was staying at a friend's and his mum put a big spoonful of sugar in my cereal like it was nbd and my eyes were never so wide and when im senile enough to forget my own name I'll still remember that amazing sugary morning in detail...

Also this:
https://youtu.be/mq7DbWsjX6A