Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Do you know where the amp is? It's usually under the dash or under the seat, and it's fairly trivial to rewire to there from the head unit. My IS300 actually has an amp delete harness installed that runs from an ISO connector behind the head unit to the factory amp location. If it's under the seat, you can run your wires under the centre console and pop them out there. Will be an afternoons work, but much easier than running them all the way to the doors.

Ideally you should have enough slack to cut the connectors off and just bridge each side together, then you don't have to run any wire. Use crimp connectors vs solder, as solder has a tendency to melt in automotive applications, and speaker level signals aren't as prone to interference as line level. Heat shrink is still a good idea if you have some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

polyester concept posted:

It wasn’t an impedance mismatch at all. My car has an upgraded amplifier in it that is separate from the factory head unit (never heard of this before). With the aftermarket receiver installed, it was double amplifying the signal which explained the sensitive volume and hissing tweeters.

Not sure what they did with the wiring but they did gently caress it up and I had to get a new wire harness that plugs into the pre-out of my receiver instead of using the actual speaker wires. It’s kind of a hacky solution because it breaks the fade and balance controls, but it works. The only way around it would be to rewire each speaker so that it bypasses the car’s internal amplifier. Maybe another day.

Was gonna ask if it originally had a JBL system or something like that. Sounds like it did.

You should still have balance, but not fade, if it's hooked up to one set of preouts.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

After more digging, I found there was a second set of wire harnesses tucked away far to the side in the cavity where the stereo mounts. Looks like this is the "standard" stereo harness, and I was able to connect a $10 walmart harness adapter to it and wire the stereo properly. Everything works as it should and the internal factory amp is successfully bypassed.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

2008 Civic SI. Drivers side front speaker sounds like it’s on its way out, all muffled. Are there good cheap non 2-3 way speakers in the 6.5 or 6.75 inch range that folks like? Or just good cheap speakers in general? I mostly listen to podcasts so I’m not looking for anything crazy. Factory amp, non navigation. I know I’ll need adapters to connect them but that’s no biggie. I was looking at these Rockford Frostgates:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R1675X2/Rockford-Fosgate-R1675X2.html

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 23, 2019

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I got those speakers for my Miata. I also upgraded the Walmart grade head unit it came with so I might be a little biased but they sound good. Even better for a convertible, they get very loud. They're the only two working speakers and they do a great job filling the open space with sound.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Good to know. Probably get them, the crutchfield install kit and some speaker baffles because this gen civic is know for water getting to door speakers.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Inheriting a car soon (no, not from death... family member is getting a new car, and every dealer is offering <$1k for her current car on trade-in, which offends her slightly)

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS with the JBL premium system. 6 disc changer + cassette (these all still work, somehow). Sub crumbled to dust long ago, door speakers and dash speakers sound fine.

Step 1 will be replacing that ancient monstrosity of a stereo with something a bit more modern. Step 2 will be adding a proper sub (the current one is physically disconnected, since all it's capable of doing now is producing farting noises).

Step 2 is something I've done plenty of times, no biggie there. The current sub will just be abandoned in place.

Step 1 is where I may be stuck. I'll have to stick with the factory speakers briefly, but plan to go aftermarket.

#1, what can I put in for the dash speakers? I'd like to put components up front, any idea what size I can manage to squeeze into the factory dash housings and retain the factory grills? Crutchfield just shows modified fit for about every stand-alone tweeter they sell, and has no info on component sets.

#2, Does JBL use weird impedance speakers like a lot of the other "premium audio" packages? Crutchfield shows I can bypass the factory amp, but that I'll need to run a harness to where the amp normally sits. They don't mention if the factory speakers are 4 ohm or something different. They also don't mention if the dash speakers have any kind of crossover, or how they're powered (are they just spliced in with the door speakers?). It'd be nice to be able to use the factory wiring and throw the crossovers under the passenger seat, where the factory JBL amp sits, but I have no idea where the factory dash speakers are connected. I'd be fine just throwing a capacitor behind each tweeter if it came down to that, but I'd prefer passive crossovers. I'm not sure if I'll be able to find out for sure without a FSM wiring diagram, but I figured I'd ask.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

What is the opinion of these type android units coming out of china?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-1-An...&frcectupt=true

this one is specific to my car.

I would really like a headunit that has the ability for my reverse camera to work.

I currently have a 2-DIN pioneer that sounds great and I really like, but has no colour LCD display for the camera.

what I dont like about these android type units:
- they rarely list the amplifier power rating (even a false one would be a starting point) or DAC or any of the actual audio functionality/features (EQ, pre outs, etc)
the way you use a USB dongle on an android device to enable carplay (is it actually car play, or is it just some clever trick on the head unit?)
- android (see above) I dont want to be in the android eco system, does using carplay feed my data to google?

unfortunately there isnt a lot of options out there for non-drug money if you want a capacitive touch screen carplay head unit.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Laserface posted:

What is the opinion of these type android units coming out of china?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-1-An...&frcectupt=true

this one is specific to my car.

I would really like a headunit that has the ability for my reverse camera to work.

I currently have a 2-DIN pioneer that sounds great and I really like, but has no colour LCD display for the camera.

what I dont like about these android type units:
- they rarely list the amplifier power rating (even a false one would be a starting point) or DAC or any of the actual audio functionality/features (EQ, pre outs, etc)
the way you use a USB dongle on an android device to enable carplay (is it actually car play, or is it just some clever trick on the head unit?)
- android (see above) I dont want to be in the android eco system, does using carplay feed my data to google?

unfortunately there isnt a lot of options out there for non-drug money if you want a capacitive touch screen carplay head unit.

I wouldn't trust any of those things, I use a Pioneer AVH400NEX (I think?) which has android carplay by usb cable and my color reverse camera is fed through it when I put the car in reverse. Don't worry about google getting your data because they already have it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Laserface posted:

No more so than using any other Android device. You can usually disable that kind of stuff in the initial setup, but there's no telling what kind of spyware is built into these things. There's a very good chance Russian and Chinese hackers will get plenty of data from it; I wouldn't ever log one of these into a Google account you care about.

Also, that's not Android Auto/Apple Carplay. That's a full blown (very underpowered) Android tablet that happens to fit in a dash opening and have a crappy amp built in. Every review on these says they don't support actual Bluetooth audio streaming, only phone calls, so you'll have to stream via USB, aux input, or hotspot your phone to it to use Google Play Music or other streaming apps (or throw a SIM in it). The screen mirroring isn't via Android Auto, it's via something that some phones MIGHT support over USB.

Save some drug money for a Kenwood, Pioneer, or Alpine Android Auto unit.

The only benefit is you can put a SIM in some of them, and they'll actually stream your music collection (or streaming music service) without needing a phone connected. The fact that they mention wifi and 4G support should be a big flashing red light telling you that it's a data collection device for overseas hackers, posing as a (poor) car stereo.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 8, 2019

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

STR posted:

No more so than using any other Android device. You can usually disable that kind of stuff in the initial setup, but there's no telling what kind of spyware is built into these things. There's a very good chance Russian and Chinese hackers will get plenty of data from it; I wouldn't ever log one of these into a Google account you care about.

Also, that's not Android Auto/Apple Carplay. That's a full blown (very underpowered) Android tablet that happens to fit in a dash opening and have a crappy amp built in. Every review on these says they don't support actual Bluetooth audio streaming, only phone calls, so you'll have to stream via USB, aux input, or hotspot your phone to it to use Google Play Music or other streaming apps (or throw a SIM in it). The screen mirroring isn't via Android Auto, it's via something that some phones MIGHT support over USB.

Save some drug money for a Kenwood, Pioneer, or Alpine Android Auto unit.

The only benefit is you can put a SIM in some of them, and they'll actually stream your music collection (or streaming music service) without needing a phone connected. The fact that they mention wifi and 4G support should be a big flashing red light telling you that it's a data collection device for overseas hackers, posing as a (poor) car stereo.

I dont use android for that reason, I use an iPhone, Im more curious how it emulates Apple Carplay with a USB dongle, and if thats how Apple Carplay works in other systems.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
Folks, I have a 05 Accord with factory radio. I recently installed an AUX adapter ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EUZ948Y/ ) which was a simple plug n play.

While I didn't notice it immediately after, now I have no sound in the rear speakers. If I push the fader to the back, nothing. This is true whether I am using the aux, the cd player or the radio. I'm FAIRLY sure I did not mess up any wiring in the process of installing the adapter, because the process is very simple and no wiring was in my way to begin with. I'm also FAIRLY sure both rear speakers did not blow out. Could this recent change have caused something in the head unit to crap out? If so, is the recourse simply to find a replacement OEM?

carcinofuck fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 8, 2019

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
If you remove the adapter do the rear speakers function?

Alternatively, when was the last time you knew the rear speakers were working?

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks

Geoj posted:

If you remove the adapter do the rear speakers function?

Alternatively, when was the last time you knew the rear speakers were working?

No, there is no change if I remove the adapter. They were functioning before I installed it a week ago. I'm pretty sure they were functioning after because I tested out the aux, but stopped a couple days later.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is removing the radio in used cars a normal thing in some areas? I used to live in Nevada and bought and sold dozens of cars and they always had radios, sometimes they'd even had 2 if the original was replaced and it might be included. Then I moved to New England and the first 2 cars I got had no radios, I assumed they had just broke and were removed, but my roommate just told me he removed the radio from his car so he could sell it. It wasn't anything special, just a 40 dollar deal from Amazon for audio in support. Is it a normal thing for some regions or am I in some crazy world of removing car stereos?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Generally the good aftermarket head unit is gone and a lovely stock one is half rear end installed.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I have my factory Clarion unit, absolute garbage by the way, and plan to remove the 4200NEX to sell when I get rid of my car unless it's depreciated to $20 or something. Because the car will sell for the same price with or without it. I'd rather get the additional $50.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

A long time ago, a guy I know who owns a used car dealership told me that a car is worth more in the used market with the original stereo installed vs an aftermarket, which would add no value to the car and sometimes even detract.

Dunno why people would remove a stereo, original or not, to sell it. Seems dumb to me, unless the aftermarket stereo is worth more than the car and/or you don’t want to just give it away.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

When I traded in my old Altima, I dropped the original stereo back in. While talking to the salesperson, car audio came up, and I mentioned I'd reinstalled the original. He told me that Carmax in particular values cars higher if they have the original stereo. In my case I only got $1200 for the car, but he told me it probably added a couple of hundred to the trade value.

Personally, I'm a bit more wary of anything that has an aftermarket stereo. GM in particular likes to run all of the warning chimes through the stereo, and people often don't want to buy the ~$100-200 adapter to retain them. And when I replace a stereo, I always store the original one to drop back in whenever I sell/scrap the car.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

2012 RAV4.
Stereo model: 518C3
USB Drive 1: Kingston Data Traveler 4GB. Single active 4GB partition. Formatted to FAT32. USB 2.0
USB Drive 2: Sandisk 64G Cruzer Fit. Single active 30GB partition. Formatted to FAT32. USB 2.0

I want the stereo to automatically start playing from the USB drive when I start the car.
If I have the Kingston 4GB plugged in, everything works fine. When I start the car up, it automatically starts playing from the USB drive where it left off.
If I have the Sandisk plugged in, when I start the car, I get the message "BT AUDIO PLAYER NOT FOUND". If I push the MEDIA button, it selects the USB drive and plays normally from where it left off.
The only difference between the drives that I can figure is the capacity.
Bluetooth pairing to my phone seems to have zero effect. It happens if it is paired, not paired, disabled (phone and or phone media), deleted, or not in range.

Pushing the MEDIA button to listen to music is not the end of the world or anything, but at this point, it is more about figuring out WHY it reacts differently to one drive than the other. Thanks!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sometimes USB storage shows up in windows as a hard disk instead of removable storage. Usually larger capacity devices. That could be the difference?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
It's probably because the file systems are structured differently. The larger one has unallocated space and that might be tripping up the autoplay logic.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The stereo may also have been programmed by a halfwit, and the larger drive capacity itself is an issue for it.

Car stereos are kinda garbage when it comes to keeping up with modern IT capabilities. Remember all those cars from 2010 that had USB ports that only worked with OG iPods as opposed to iPhones and Touches which were well established at the time?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I've worked with a few embedded programmers, halfwit would be nice for most of them.

So, does anyone else have problems with Android Auto head units not wanting to connect to the phone sometimes? Kenwood DDX9903S, Samsung Galaxy S9. Rebooting both of them makes it work, but it's a pain in the rear end.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Thanks for the help guys. I'll order a 16GB Cruzer and see if that works. Something as small as 2GB would be plenty of space, but I can't get a thumb drive in the Cruzer form factor smaller than 16GB. The USB thumb drive plugs in vertically behind the shift lever and I worry that if I use a regular sized thumb drive, one of these days I'll end up smacking it and breaking the female port on the car.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Get a short USB extension cable? If space is really tight, one with a 90 degree plug, like this? (note that that set of 2 has one right angle, one left angle...)

Don Dongington posted:

Car stereos are kinda garbage when it comes to keeping up with modern IT capabilities. Remember all those cars from 2010 that had USB ports that only worked with OG iPods as opposed to iPhones and Touches which were well established at the time?

My current stereo (a 2018 or 2019 model Kenwood) has dual USB ports.... and an aux port...

On the back... via individual cables. :fuckoff: The microphone also hooks up to a cable hanging out. :fuckoff: :fuckoff: :fuckoff:

It's already kinda tight for wiring behind the stereo. I never plan to use those USB cables; my old Pioneer just had a USB port on the back that you could connect an extension cable to (and it included said cable), if you wanted to. Otherwise it was just a port on the back of the stereo. There's plenty of room on the front of my new one for an aux input as well (and GF's Kenwood has it there.. where it belongs), I don't get why they had to stick it on the back like that.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 25, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

EightBit posted:

I've worked with a few embedded programmers, halfwit would be nice for most of them.

So, does anyone else have problems with Android Auto head units not wanting to connect to the phone sometimes? Kenwood DDX9903S, Samsung Galaxy S9. Rebooting both of them makes it work, but it's a pain in the rear end.

Check for firmware upgrades for your head unit. Also cables.

My wife's Subaru had a recall over Android Auto becoming all wonky.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

STR posted:

Get a short USB extension cable? If space is really tight, one with a 90 degree plug, like this? (note that that set of 2 has one right angle, one left angle...)

My current stereo (a 2018 or 2019 model Kenwood) has dual USB ports.... and an aux port...

On the back... via individual cables. :fuckoff: The microphone also hooks up to a cable hanging out. :fuckoff: :fuckoff: :fuckoff:

It's already kinda tight for wiring behind the stereo. I never plan to use those USB cables; my old Pioneer just had a USB port on the back that you could connect an extension cable to (and it included said cable), if you wanted to. Otherwise it was just a port on the back of the stereo. There's plenty of room on the front of my new one for an aux input as well (and GF's Kenwood has it there.. where it belongs), I don't get why they had to stick it on the back like that.

Makes it easier to connect in to a factory USB connection. Also I'd expect most users that are using a USB connection want it wired to a port somewhere in the car and having it in the back there lets you hide the wiring.

They should just unplug from the board if you want to just pop that part of the case open, I did that with my pre-outs on my old 7949 when I picked up the external EQ and routed all the audio to it via AI-NET.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm griping more because they didn't just put USB ports on the back and include a cable or two, like Pioneer does.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I have a weird Android auto problem and I can't even tell who to ding for it, maybe someone here has an idea. Car is a 2016 GTI, phone is a Pixel 3 XL, and I plug in because the stereo visibly nags you as long as you're driving without your phone paired but not connected to Bluetooth, like every drat 30 seconds, and I don't like seeing it in my peripheral vision. You can wave at the stereo and it goes away but seriously all. the. drat. time.

When I do anything that "requires" AA to pause or completely mute the audio I'm listening to it's about a coin toss whether it will relinquish the audio when it's done. Unplugging and replugging the phone immediately fixes it but that's not ideal. I can't say for sure if it relinquishes it to music playing through Android Auto any more reliably but I've had the issue for sure with SiriusXM, the SD card in the glove box, but I'm pretty sure the CD drive is 100% unused.

Seemingly related, it also used to hang onto volume control forever when it lowered the volume on the stereo for notifications, so the volume controls would all stick to adjusting the voice prompts again until the phone was unplugged, and well the audio would simply stay muted as though AA was still telling me something that didn't require full mute of the audio.

Totally unrelated, the dial to the right of the stereo used to zoom in and out on maps, now it just tabs between the map and the search box in the corner :bahgawd:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Might contact a VW dealer and see if there's any firmware updates for the stereo?

And the good ol' "have you tried turning it off and back on again?". In this case, pulling the 2 fuses for the stereo. Or (probably easier) just disconnect the negative battery cable for a minute, along with manually erasing any phone pairings (if it retains them after the disconnect).

e: and the streaming SiriusXM service may be cheaper, if you have unlimited data on your phone and don't mind a kinda crappy app. It's easy to get retention rates after the initial trial period; I'm paying $5.99/mo. Supposedly their last offer is usually $30 for 6 months if you pay up front, but I'm happy with the $5.99.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 26, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

2005 Escalade -- all the stupid stuff: chimes through speakers, bose, onstar, steering wheel controls. I don't care about onstar. The others stay.

To replace the head unit, it looks like I have at least 2 adapters to buy -- one for steering wheel controls and another for the chimes/bose compatibility. Doesn't look like anyone makes an all-in-one setup, so... wiring. :toot:

Do I need to look for anything else?

Now, head unit -- double DIN. Looking for touch screen, modern. I tried a cheap-o Android unit and it worked well, until it stopped responding to touch on the left hand side of the unit, which double sucked since it didn't have hard volume/power and the controls for that were on the left.

So, I'd like to stick with a major manufacturer. I'm okay with buy an older model, preferably something that's being cleared out or superceded. I use Android phones, need nav that's updatable. And the usual stuff.

Teach meatpimp... go.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Double DIN recommendation from me is the Pioneer NEX series. You can spend a lot of money on their top end, but all has Android auto on top of all of the other features you could want. I own two and they're both great.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/NEX

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yeah, I'd agree with that. The NEX line is fantastic.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

um excuse me posted:

Double DIN recommendation from me is the Pioneer NEX series. You can spend a lot of money on their top end, but all has Android auto on top of all of the other features you could want. I own two and they're both great.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/NEX

I have an AVH4000NEX, it's fine but requires cable connection for android auto. Do the new ones do this over bluetooth?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Bluetooth lacks the bandwidth to drive the video display (Android Auto basically uses the head unit screen as an external display and input device, there's little actual logic taking place on the head unit), so wireless would require use of WiFi. Which destroys battery when your device is constantly transmitting - rendering it useful only for brief trips.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I don't even need the fancy new stuff. Android Auto would be nice, but I honestly don't even know how I'd use it.

I just need a simple radio (FM, because I listen to NPR because I'm an old), don't need a physical drive, navigation and some way to stream...

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

meatpimp posted:

I don't even need the fancy new stuff. Android Auto would be nice, but I honestly don't even know how I'd use it.

I just need a simple radio (FM, because I listen to NPR because I'm an old), don't need a physical drive, navigation and some way to stream...

Android auto is great because it takes all the functions of your phone and makes them more simple to use while driving.

Does all those things that you listed with ease.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

Android auto is great because it takes all the functions of your phone and makes them more simple to use while driving.

Does all those things that you listed with ease.
Yeah, and the navigation from apps (I.e., Waze) is always going to be better than the inbuilt crap. That alone is reason enough to use android auto/apple carplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

so my steering wheel controls will randomly not work with my after market head unit. skip track would occasionally not work, and sometimes volume up would act like holding down >>| to seek. the previous owner used an Aerpro adapter which seems to be the problem.

Anyway I bought an iDatalink Maestro SW. it previously only had a web browser plug in that you then used to program the buttons on the brain via USB. by the time it arrived they'd actually released a full blown app for windows and mac and its pretty fantastic.

choose your car, select what your steering wheel looks like, select your head unit, and it gives you a complete full colour wiring diagram specific to your trim level and your head unit, and lets you customise short/long presses of the buttons to do whatever you like. so you can actually add more functions than you had previously, or swap them out of stuff you actually want.

I havent installed it yet but I was pretty impressed with the software. Just thought I'd mention it for anyone else looking for a high quality after market steering wheel adapter. :)