Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Taear posted:

No, you can do it from the "mass build" icon at the top left but it still requires fuckloads of clicking.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If you go to the culture mapmode, you can see how many pops of each culture are in a province by hovering over it with your cursor.

Great, thank you both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Chalks posted:

This is my experience also, the clan retinues do not draw from my manpower pool. As long as my own troops are 100% strength, manpower is unaffected no matter how much reinforcement the retinues are doing.

I often withdraw my own troops to avoid losing too much manpower as the war goes on, assuming I have strong enough retinues to mop up and siege.

Only issue is that retinues cannot reinforce in enemy territory (not even when occupied). I've had retinues attrit down far enough to stall sieges before they can finish, then you have to retreat them way back to your own territory for several months. I suppose that's the balancing factor: free armies that don't tax your manpower, but you can only operate in enemy territory for so long with them.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Walh Hara posted:

As far as I know this is not implemented yet, i.e. a city can have as much population as you want. In the next big patch they'll change this.

Personally, I don't like this unless they make some very good mechanic for surplus growth once you hit you cap, it would be really annoying if you kept having to check which cities are near their cap so you can move their pops elsewhere.

I'm losing population is one of my cities, and when I hover over the bar in red one of the lines says City Population -0.35%. So how do I remedy that?

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Zotix posted:

I'm losing population is one of my cities, and when I hover over the bar in red one of the lines says City Population -0.35%. So how do I remedy that?

Ah, easy: either import more fish, livestock or grain or build more granaries. Worst case, move some pops to other cities since every pop decreases your population growth.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Yeah once your war machine starts turning say goodbye to having any Civic power left to buy Inventions with, whatever doesn't get used to build new trade routes or replace old ones is going into moving the hundreds of slaves that are going to start suffocating your capital to neighboring cities.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zotix posted:

Every pop passively adds negative growth modifiers. If the combined modifiers go below 0, the city starts starving. So essentially, the "limit" is organic and depends on how much pop growth you have in that city. Other factors such as looting can negatively affect pop growth and cause starvation as well.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'm hoping that the pop cap isn't going to make the slaving system even more problematic. If my capital keeps getting slaves rammed into it even when it's full and it causes all my citizens to start starving I'm going to be mad.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Moving slaves should be cheaper than moving citizens or freeman. You end up with so many and well...being able to forcibly tell them where to live fits with them being slaves.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Eimi posted:

Moving slaves should be cheaper than moving citizens or freeman. You end up with so many and well...being able to forcibly tell them where to live fits with them being slaves.

It is I'm pretty sure

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Eimi posted:

It is. You can get further discounts too. It's not too hard to reduce the cost to something like 3 civic power.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
5 civic power a slave really adds up when:

a) you've got 80 goddamn slaves in your capital
b) you can only move them to close by cities, which means if you actually want to spread them to a farther province you have to move one slave 2, 3, or even 4 times to get them to where you need them.

Either make it a gold cost, or allow me to move pops anywhere I want instead of only close by.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I would really like a way to choose to move 10 from city A to city B instead of manually doing it for every drat one

My war with Greece was a success but came with a massive toll. No, not on my armies. My economy is great. My borders are gorgeous. I had to click about 60 slaves out of Rome into nearby provinces. Agony!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
There should just be a Decision option to redistribute slaves throughout the empire if the amount in your capital reaches a certain amount.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sydin posted:

5 civic power a slave really adds up when:

a) you've got 80 goddamn slaves in your capital
b) you can only move them to close by cities, which means if you actually want to spread them to a farther province you have to move one slave 2, 3, or even 4 times to get them to where you need them.

Either make it a gold cost, or allow me to move pops anywhere I want instead of only close by.

They should make it so you can move pops anywhere, but do it so moving pops outside the same province costs double. And maybe even triple when outside the same region if they're that concerned about balancing power costs, though for this I don't think they should be. Doing it that way would at least save us some clicks.

The menu interface as a whole could be a lot better. Let us move multiple pops at once.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Impopator: Pops of Rome

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
They should have done it the other way, ie instead of find pop to move -> click move -> find city it should have been find city to move to -> get interface with pops in first city | pops in second city and then just press an arrow to move the pop. Could even group them in a tree so open slaves -> open hellenic slaves -> move massalian slave to not loose the choice of what culture to move.

edit: Stellaris have this interface right now in fact and while it's not perfect its better than this at least.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
*A citizen moves through the slave-flooded streets of Rome like Captain Kirk through a mass of tribbles*

"My God there's so many of them. They're going to devour all the grain!"

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Worst part is if you don't fix it, the citizens starve. I thought it was supposed to be historically accurate!

Julius Caesar giving his meal to a bunch of Gaulish slaves because he's just a nice man

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Do pops migrate around on their own at all or no? Can't quite remember and not in a position to fire up the game right now.

I feel like maybe for the slaves in particular there could be some slave market system that distributes slaves from the capital out to provinces that have citizens (and thus money) but not so many slaves? Might be a lot of complicated fiddling for something the player doesn't really interact with I suppose.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

Do pops migrate around on their own at all or no? Can't quite remember and not in a position to fire up the game right now.

They do not. Currently, the pops have exactly zero agency. They're just stats for your cities.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Is there any way to de-populate a province of people and leave it abandoned? I'd like to make myself a buffer zone between me and the angry neighbors.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Yooper posted:

Is there any way to de-populate a province of people and leave it abandoned? I'd like to make myself a buffer zone between me and the angry neighbors.

Are you a migratory tribe?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Cynic Jester posted:

Are you a migratory tribe?

Nope. Rome.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Yooper posted:

Sieges sometimes kill pops and can eventually cause a province to get abandoned.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I feel like the barbarians I paid off to not pillage and decivilize my land still applying a huge negative modifier to your cities they walk over is a bug but I'm honestly not sure at this point!

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
It's really hard justifying spending even a single precious point of civic power to move a pop around when there's inventions to learn with it instead.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Senor Dog posted:

People call everything DLC now even if you want to call it some fuddy duddy name like “expansion”. You’re being a dumb rear end in a top hat over semantics

yeah remember when EU2 was released as broken, then had an expansion come out which fixed it?

Senor Dog posted:

the post he was responding to said nothing about quantity, so i hope not

In awe at the size of this reading incomprehension. Absolute unit.

More on topic, is there a way to specify in the Trade Overview macro builder to exclude resources you already have the capital surplus for?

Beamed fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 2, 2019

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Beamed posted:

yeah remember when EU2 was released as broken, then had an expansion come out which fixed it?

In awe at the size of this reading incomprehension. Absolute unit.

More on topic, is there a way to specify in the Trade Overview macro builder to exclude resources you already have the capital surplus for?

Go find where that person claimed paradox released "tons of DLC" (your words). I'll wait.

Good work finding an example where it wasn't the case I guess, no idea really since I started with Vicky which was a buggy piece of poo poo until the expansion. Just like how CK was awful until Deus Vult and HOI3 was never fixed lol but yeah it started with CK2 except it didn't you stupidass

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Senor Dog posted:

Go find where that person claimed paradox released "tons of DLC" (your words). I'll wait.

Good work finding an example where it wasn't the case I guess, no idea really since I started with Vicky which was a buggy piece of poo poo until the expansion. Just like how CK was awful until Deus Vult and HOI3 was never fixed lol but yeah it started with CK2 except it didn't you stupidass

Weembles posted:

Because that has literally been Paradox's business model for as long as they have existed. Releasing a basic game and reworking it over the course of years worth of DLC is what they do.

that wasn't hard i just had to follow the train up. if you're gonna argue years worth of DLC and tons of DLC aren't literally the same words then okay ya got me, but calling me an rear end in a top hat over semantics because of that is, uhhhh

Stop melting down about it, especially after two self-owns in a row, I actually really like Paradox's current business model. It's how much it stands in contrast to their old model I was highlighting.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Beamed posted:

that wasn't hard i just had to follow the train up. if you're gonna argue years worth of DLC and tons of DLC aren't literally the same words then okay ya got me, but calling me an rear end in a top hat over semantics because of that is, uhhhh

Stop melting down about it, especially after two self-owns in a row, I actually really like Paradox's current business model. It's how much it stands in contrast to their old model I was highlighting.

"melting down" "self-owns" you're a walking cliche. try going outside

anyway you not understanding how words work, especially given that it did take paradox years to fix ck and vicky, etc. is ok to admit. I agree that the new model is much better

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the Rome thread!

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

aardvaard posted:

Mr. President, you cannot allow a Proscription Gap.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

aardvaard posted:

Just pass out some toga's and we've got a bonafide empire-stage Roman senate meeting going on.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

I'm surprised by the amount of hate this game is getting (not just here, elsewhere online as well). I've been playing it since release and I like it and I'm having fun. If anyone is still on the fence, if you like Paradox games and you like classical antiquity, you're gonna like this game. It has some bugs and issues (mostly problems with the UI, imo) but it's perfectly playable and enjoyable. I'm pretty confident after a few patches it's gonna be one of their best titles.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

The problem I had with it was that I just spent the last 6 years playing CK2 and EU4 and IR just doesn't have the variety and occasional depth that those do. It'll get it eventually, obviously, but it was a rough transition.

It's fun for what it is and has some great systems, so I'll buy every DLC like the scum that I am.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Azuren posted:

I'm surprised by the amount of hate this game is getting (not just here, elsewhere online as well). I've been playing it since release and I like it and I'm having fun. If anyone is still on the fence, if you like Paradox games and you like classical antiquity, you're gonna like this game. It has some bugs and issues (mostly problems with the UI, imo) but it's perfectly playable and enjoyable. I'm pretty confident after a few patches it's gonna be one of their best titles.

If you like paradox games as wargames and like classical antiquity you'll like it, but you're also a crazy person.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

reignonyourparade posted:

If you like paradox games as wargames and like classical antiquity you'll like it, but you're also a crazy person.

I hate to tell you this but for the most part they are wargames. Everything else they do is just a way to war more efficiently. Even CK2 which has probably the closest to a non military options.

If you have the patient of a saint

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

I hate to tell you this but for the most part they are wargames. Everything else they do is just a way to war more efficiently. Even CK2 which has probably the closest to a non military options.

If you have the patient of a saint

They HAVE a bland wargame but it serves as a delivery vehicle for "Austria betrayed me in a war so I joined the protestant league" and "man I got Talented and Ambitious Daughter as Brandenburg just in time for her to be ruler when I form Prussia, that's a fun history to think about" so that you're interacting with things instead of just reading the output of a random number generator.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

reignonyourparade posted:

They HAVE a bland wargame but it serves as a delivery vehicle for "Austria betrayed me in a war so I joined the protestant league" and "man I got Talented and Ambitious Daughter as Brandenburg just in time for her to be ruler when I form Prussia, that's a fun history to think about" so that you're interacting with things instead of just reading the output of a random number generator.

Is this guy trying to make a coherent point or is he just saying "I like EU4" in a really weird way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

Is this guy trying to make a coherent point or is he just saying "I like EU4" in a really weird way?

i think they want to form prussia but for ladies and you can't do that in ir