Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
The server doesn't populate anything for me. I have to matchnake and it's awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

spear rules and if you're actually fighting people face to face, one on one with a spear you're playing spear wrong. Hide behind the piles of sword-catchers that are your allies and poke people in the butt.

There's a guide that was written by a long-time alpha player in the OP, it will help you Git Gud. Study it closely, keep its virtues in mind, and soon you too will be asked to leave the server to let the less-good players have a chance.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

The advice to not panic parry was a big help to me

And initiative was huge.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah I feel like panic parrying is legitimately one of the most important things to stop doing. Your opponents entire gameplan is to find a way to hit you and by just spamming parry you are giving them to opportunity instead of making them work for it.

Stay calm, parry late, parry the tip, wait your turn.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
throw rocks at your opponent

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

It's 100% true. I feel like I'm more of a threat now and even if I'm not winning an engagement with someone better -- I'm holding them in place so they can get ganged up on.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Broke: Making a balanced and strong build

Woke: Stack perks and take weapons off the corpses of enemies.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Pulcinella di Bund posted:

throw rocks at your opponent

CuddleCryptid posted:

Woke: Stack perks and take weapons off the corpses of enemies.

this is my preferred build. replace rocks with lute to flavor

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I feel like I'm a lot better at the game now that I understand how the directional indicator works for strikes. I'd noticed the little arrow moving around before, but I never really paid attention to it.

Also the V key is the best secondary weapon. If you hit it as you select your spawn point, the screaming grows louder as the camera zooms in to you.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I'm wondering what to put on my side mouse buttons. I think the one has under hand swings already bound to it but I'm not married to the idea -- any suggestions?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'm wondering what to put on my side mouse buttons. I think the one has under hand swings already bound to it but I'm not married to the idea -- any suggestions?

I use one for stabs

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

LGD posted:

I use one for stabs

What do you have for the mouse wheel then?

Edit:

FYI:
There's a key that's binds parry or feint to one key apparently. Gonna replace my right click with that.

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 1, 2019

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Small but cool ui thing

Also apparently riposte attacks cannot be flinched

https://v.redd.it/qm9jjwmjknv21

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Glenn Quebec posted:

It's 100% true. I feel like I'm more of a threat now and even if I'm not winning an engagement with someone better -- I'm holding them in place so they can get ganged up on.

This is huuuge. Whichever side gets flanked is probably going to lose. So, you don't necessarily even have to be killing anyone, if you are in a group fight and tying up two people, or tying up a person which allows a teammate to flank, you have already shifted the battle in your favor.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The player stats section seems a bit lacking. You have kills tracked with no deaths. I have no idea how many battle cries I’m averaging per death or how many roleplayer’s tears I’ve collected. Get your act together!

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Mordhau's bot situation is surprisingly impressive. They'll actually do stuff like ducking under blows or accelerating and dragging their own hits.

Edit: The names are on point too. Blattant Ottobloking is my favorite.

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 2, 2019

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Update on the gold/progression issue: they posted a status update 20 minutes ago. They've disabled unlocking equipment, and they may have found the problem and they're working at it right now. Also stated earlier, they are not resetting anyone and they're just going to give us a bunch of money.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
who needs money when I can throw rocks at my opponent , take his weapon , and move up in the world

Like a medieval guy who traded a paperclip for a house

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Sword Game when

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

Update on the gold/progression issue: they posted a status update 20 minutes ago. They've disabled unlocking equipment, and they may have found the problem and they're working at it right now. Also stated earlier, they are not resetting anyone and they're just going to give us a bunch of money.
Making up for lost cash is nice, but given the initial level gating on weapons seemingly for the sake of having it, I hope they are not trying to spin the lost experience as "We're not going to undo your hard work!" when there was a wide combination of people not having their effort count, or understandably waiting for them to get their poo poo together :v:

"Here, have a bag of gold. We good?"
"I'm still level 2"
"Look, it was paramount that we make the Blacksmith's hammer level 5 along with the Zweihander!"

Level 5 itself probably wouldn't take all that long unless there was some drastic inflation of experience per level, but think of the lost pants unlocking time!

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 2, 2019

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I just hope that launch issues don't come back to bite Mordhau. First impressions count for a lot, especially for an indie multiplayer game. I can imagine there being quite a few players who give the game a fair try and come away thinking "oh great, yet another busted first-person medieval game."

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 2, 2019

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Section Z posted:

Making up for lost cash is nice, but given the initial level gating on weapons seemingly for the sake of having it, I hope they are not trying to spin the lost experience as "We're not going to undo your hard work!" when there was a wide combination of people not having their effort count, or understandably waiting for them to get their poo poo together :v:

"Here, have a bag of gold. We good?"
"I'm still level 2"
"Look, it was paramount that we make the Blacksmith's hammer level 5 along with the Zweihander!"

Level 5 itself probably wouldn't take all that long unless there was some drastic inflation of experience per level, but think of the lost pants unlocking time!

They said they were going to do xp as well, or at least they did at first.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I don't know if they're going to giving everyone an XP boost but they've at least walked back resetting everyone to 5

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Playing to get better but no XP or Gold and lovely server stuff is starting to get long in the tooth

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm starting to get pretty good at weapons I don't want to use lol

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Babe Magnet posted:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Babe Magnet posted:

Day one I unlocked all sorts of random bullshit before more unlocking got disabled. I feel very fortunate to have rocks, the stupidest looking hat I could find, pole ax, long spear and a hammer

really wish I had fire pots or smoke bombs but hey it could be worse

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The average player's lust for archer death will pretty easily lead them to charge right over a bear trap and into my crossbowman's waiting mace, it turns out. Got more kills from that than from actually plinking at people.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I love setting up mini-ballistas in hosed up locations, and I love even more when fellow engineers or friendly crossbowmen will set up next to me to help me hold position. Was watching the bridge on the mountain pass map dead-on for an entire game today

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

posted less than a minute ago:

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
For all you lute boys, I am just going to leave this here:

https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/13519/mordhau-lute-bot/#c12

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

posted less than a minute ago:

Confirmed in game, woo

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

does anyone have that old chivalry video of a bunch of people probably with australian accents just goofing off with each other

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Browser is still busted for me fffffuck.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

Browser is still busted for me fffffuck.

Is your steam region set to the correct region? I've seen that screw with server browsers in other games.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Bear Traps are incredible.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
How do you build ballista with the engineer? I could only figure out the little archer wall and spikes.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Comrayn posted:

How do you build ballista with the engineer? I could only figure out the little archer wall and spikes.
If I remember right, because I didn't make one myself yet because dropping instant walls in front of a horse is funny. You need to be at full ammo to do it, and the toolbox starts at half ammo.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
In your player stats it tracks how many times you've yelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
One neat thing I've figured out is that you can start a local game with bots while you're waiting for matchmaking to find a game.

Edit: or at least I was able to do that earlier when matchmaking was working :sigh:

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 2, 2019