Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Holding really super tightly around that corner (to the point where I can't even seen the corner of the display) I can attenuate the wifi signal by a single bar and it looks like I lose about 10mbps of throughput.

Holding in landscape in a way I naturally would (so as not to occlude the speakers), there's no attenuation at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

arisu posted:

I don't know about the HD10, but I have an HD8 and the screen is so poo poo it actively makes me mad. I thought I could stomach it and used it for like 4 months but I can't live with it anymore.

This was when I started thinking about the cheap chinese tabs lol

Amazon cheaping out and making the 8 inch tablet 1280x800 is the worst thing they did with the line. The 10 is at least 1920x1080, but it's true that it doesn't seem like a great display otherwise, it just isn't some terrible low resolution.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Moey posted:

Just was reading this, any wifi issues you can reproduce?

https://bgr.com/2019/05/01/galaxy-tab-s5e-wifi-connection-issues-samsung/

Hahahaha, gently caress, let me go get the thing... (like I said, I'm almost 100% portrait mode so this hasn't come up yet).

smr
Dec 18, 2002

smr posted:

Hahahaha, gently caress, let me go get the thing... (like I said, I'm almost 100% portrait mode so this hasn't come up yet).

I gripped the poo poo outta the lower-left corner (which isn't natural, at least to me), and the wifi didn't lose a bar or anything. The speedtest I ran on my home wifi is showing there, that's about what everything wifi gets in that location of my house.

Oddly, I fast.fm'd in Portrait mode with my usual grip and got 130Mbps, so it was slower.

*shrug*

Kinda smacks of "every new device from a major maker MUST have a something-gate" to me.

EDIT: Cool how none of the usual Dropbox or iCloud share links work here :(

smr fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 2, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I put Nova launcher on my Tab S5e with the helper app for Google feed and it's now perfect.

Good job Samsung, I think this is one of the best products you've made in awhile.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Looks like this weekend I'm downloading Android Studio. Amazon really, really wants you to use their lovely launcher on their tablets and have blocked Launcher Hijacker, so currently the only way around it is to download the source, rename the dev and package name in the files, then compile it from source.

gently caress you, Bezos! Let me have Nova Launcher on your lovely tablet!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

taiyoko posted:

Looks like this weekend I'm downloading Android Studio. Amazon really, really wants you to use their lovely launcher on their tablets and have blocked Launcher Hijacker, so currently the only way around it is to download the source, rename the dev and package name in the files, then compile it from source.

Or just download the file from XDA because someone else already did all that

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm going to reiterate how much I'm actually liking this Tab S5e which, if you know my Samsung history, should mean a lot.

The 16:10 aspect ratio, light weight, and minimal bezel make it very very usable in portrait mode. It's actually not all that much harder to use in portrait than the smaller Mediapad M5 8.4. This is the first 10" tablet that doesn't seem like a chore to use.

Nova has been working great with it so it almost feels like a Google device at this point.

Battery life, most importantly idle usage, has been great. I'm 3 days off charge right now with 5 hours SoT and I still have 36% battery left.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Does it support SPen?

That's one feature I really miss about my 10.1 2014. The Sheild stylus is/was good, but abandonware hurts.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It does not, no. You'll have to wait for the full Tab S5 that's probably coming around the same time as the Note 10 in August or September.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

taiyoko posted:

There are automated scripts for all of this and if you had bothered to look at XDA you'd have probably seen one of the several pinned topics about it. It takes one click from the AIO Toolbox program. Actually really awesome, and the toolbox has a few other neat options and tools too. I used the ADB File Manager a bit while dicking around with the Fire

https://www.google.com/amp/s/forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd10/development/official-amazon-fire-toolbox-v1-0-t3889604/amp/

barnold fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 13, 2019

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I managed to snag one of these before the deal expired:

https://slickdeals.net/f/13076938-lenovo-10-1-smart-tab-p10-64gb-android-tablet-w-dock-177-65-free-shipping?src=SiteSearch

That seems like a pretty good deal for a tablet with 4gb RAM, plus a nifty dock to go along with it. The processor ain't great but I'm only gonna use it for media consumption anyway, not play games. As long as it's enough to drive 1080p videos it should be enough for me.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh poo poo

https://goodereader.com/blog/kindle/amazon-is-going-to-release-a-new-fire-tablet

quote:

Amazon is going to release a new Fire Tablet

May 9, 2019

Amazon plans on releasing a new Fire tablet sometime in the next few weeks. The company might refresh the Fire 7 or the Fire 10, the exact model is currently unknown. The new device has just obtained FCC certification and it supports WIFI.

Other features revealed by the FCC documents include support for dual-band WiFi and Bluetooth, as well as inclusion of a camera, audio jack, microSD card slot, and USB port. It will likely employ a new Mediatek octa-core processor and a modust spec bump from the previous generation model.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Haha not sure a new Amazon tablet is worth an "oh poo poo"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Depends on the resolution.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Is there now an 8" tablet with specs somewhat on par with an Nvidia shield? Would really like to not move forward with just buying used tablets from eBay for work. They're really only going to be running custom software so screen quality doesn't matter a ton, but the wifi adapter can't suck. Needs to be 8" (with similar physical dimensions) because it's going to be in a custom built case. We could possibly have changes made to the case to make it bigger, but only if there's a good enough replacement tablet to make it worth the cost.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'd honestly be fine with my previous Fire tablet if it actually had a decent amount of RAM on it

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

I'm going to reiterate how much I'm actually liking this Tab S5e which, if you know my Samsung history, should mean a lot.

The 16:10 aspect ratio, light weight, and minimal bezel make it very very usable in portrait mode. It's actually not all that much harder to use in portrait than the smaller Mediapad M5 8.4. This is the first 10" tablet that doesn't seem like a chore to use.

Nova has been working great with it so it almost feels like a Google device at this point.

Battery life, most importantly idle usage, has been great. I'm 3 days off charge right now with 5 hours SoT and I still have 36% battery left.

Any issues with using it in landscape mode and are you still happy with it in general? I might be in the market for a new tablet soon with these Huawei developments...

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think Amazon's HD designation is a little disingenuous considering the resolution is like 720p or whatever on the HD8.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

jokes posted:

I think Amazon's HD designation is a little disingenuous considering the resolution is like 720p or whatever on the HD8.

720p has always been an HD resolution.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Incessant Excess posted:

Any issues with using it in landscape mode and are you still happy with it in general? I might be in the market for a new tablet soon with these Huawei developments...

Most of my landscape usage has been for video, but I haven't had any issues.

I'm also going to say again how awesome the speakers are on this thing.

I haven't used my Mediapad M5 since I got this thing. Oddly enough, the 8.4" doesn't really feel much smaller. This is finally a usable 10" tablet.

And the screen is still gorgeous.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Cool, I'll be getting that should I find a buyer for me M5, not that there are a whole lot of alternatives.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Amazon Fire 7 is getting refreshed

It now has the same innards as the HD 8 (faster quad-core processor, 2MB front and rear-facing camera, maximum 512 GB microSD) and hands-free Alexa now works without the device needing to be plugged in - I'm guessing it will also be on current generation Fire OS 6 (Nougat)

Still only has 1GB RAM, same poo poo speaker, and same screen resolution

16GB version is $49 and you can preorder it now (ships June 6th):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FKR6KXF

Previous generation (8 GB) is on sale for $39:

https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Amazon-Fire-7-Tablet/dp/B01GEW27DA

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 25, 2019

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

How is it possible to only have 1gb RAM in 2019? I rather get a lovely big phone than that. I understand that the price point is really low but still...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Guillermus posted:

How is it possible to only have 1gb RAM in 2019? I rather get a lovely big phone than that. I understand that the price point is really low but still...

It's the same price as dinner for two.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I live in the capital city of tapas (Sevilla, Spain) and that's like twice of a night of drinks+food. :colbert:

Yeah it's super cheap and I get that they have to cut somewhere but as I'm looking for a Nexus 7 replacement I'd like a more expensive version with at least 3gb ram and a 720p (minimum) screen. Looks like Samsung and Huawei (not sure about this right now) are my only bets.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Guillermus posted:

I live in the capital city of tapas (Sevilla, Spain) and that's like twice of a night of drinks+food. :colbert:

Yeah it's super cheap and I get that they have to cut somewhere but as I'm looking for a Nexus 7 replacement I'd like a more expensive version with at least 3gb ram and a 720p (minimum) screen. Looks like Samsung and Huawei (not sure about this right now) are my only bets.

I get what you're saying but these are so disposable they sell them in 3-packs. Obviously the only thing it's a replacement for is a broken one of itself.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I think that I'll end going for a bigger one (8.4" or even 10) as the only thing I use my N7 2013 with replaced battery is for netflix, twitch and other streaming apps since my Nokia 7 Plus is up to date and faster.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I had an HD8 for video streaming and even with that limited use, the performance made it kind of tedious to use. The screen and speakers were also predictably low quality, so I wouldn't recommend those unless you absolutely *have* to stick to a budget. I eventually replaced it with Huawei Mediapad M5 that I was pretty happy with for a while but, well, you know.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Guillermus posted:

I'm still annoyed that someone on this forum told me 1.5GB on the fire 8 if you just wanted a tablet for light web browsing

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Someone with an HD8, how long does it take to boot? I have a whole car gps-tethered to my phone setup with a Nexus 7 and looking to switch out. Boot time is pretty important so I'm not sitting there staring at it while waiting for directions.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Lockback posted:

Someone with an HD8, how long does it take to boot? I have a whole car gps-tethered to my phone setup with a Nexus 7 and looking to switch out. Boot time is pretty important so I'm not sitting there staring at it while waiting for directions.

Mine takes at least a minute, I've never timed it. Also, how do you GPS-tether? I had once wanted to do that to have the bigger screen to play Pokemon Go (not that the hd8 has enough ram to support it nowadays).

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lockback posted:

HD8 doesn't have a built-in GPS like the Nexus 7 does

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

EugeneJ posted:

HD8 doesn't have a built-in GPS like the Nexus 7 does

Well poo poo, thanks for the heads up on that.

taiyoko posted:

Mine takes at least a minute, I've never timed it. Also, how do you GPS-tether? I had once wanted to do that to have the bigger screen to play Pokemon Go (not that the hd8 has enough ram to support it nowadays).

I get into my car and start my car. My tablet is rooted and boots on power-on.
My phone auto-connects via bluetooth to my car
Tasker has a task to turn on hotspot when it sees my car as a connected bluetooth device
Tablet boots and connects to hotspot.
Tasker shuts down the tablet when the power is disconnected (ie. when the car is turned off)

I don't have many apps so the data usage for googlemaps and darksky is pretty minimal.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Got my Lenovo P10 today. Great tablet so far. The screen, while not the highest res screen out there, looks sharp enough where I'm not getting tired looking at it like I did with my Fire HD8.

I'm upgrading from an Echo dot so being able to dock it is pretty cool too. Gonna order some smart bulbs so I can start talking to my electronics like a madman. The dock sounds as good as my sister's standard Echo too.

Well worth the $190 after tax I dropped, but I don't think I'd pay MSRP for this device. I hate the glass back though, almost tempted to drop $18 on a skin just so I can stop worrying about that slippery fingerprint magnet.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Are there any decent cheap (> $200) 10" Android tablets other than the Kindle Fire HD 10? I'm looking for something which I'll mostly use for reading PDF's, etc.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/06/20/report-google-gives-up-on-making-its-own-tablets/

No more tablets from Google. They've also cancelled two unreleased devices.

They will focus on laptops (and phones) in the future.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Wasn't the Nexus 9 the last one they made? I still have my N7 2013 and the 9 was expensive and not good at all.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Guillermus posted:

Wasn't the Nexus 9 the last one they made? I still have my N7 2013 and the 9 was expensive and not good at all.

The Pixel Slate was the last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

LastInLine posted:

The Pixel Slate was the last one.

The 9 was the last Android one, though.