Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Windows Phone was great, just Microsoft being Microsoft, abandoned it one two many time for them, or anyone else to support it. Plus never making any new hardware when they did get to Windows Phone 10 didn't help matters.

Ever use a Windows Phone over BT in a car that doesn't have Android Auto/Apple Play? It works amazing for hands of use. Android still can't get anywhere close. No experience with Apple myself but wifes doesn't seem to be all that great either.

On VR note, the selling out of the Index and good selling of everything overall it seems is good for sure. I wonder what I could get for my 1st gen Vive + TPCast + Deluxe Audio Strap? Hmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

With just a Vive these days it seems like you'd be lucky to get $300 for it, and with lighthouses being as expensive as they are doesn't seem like you'd actually save any money selling a Vive towards an Index. TPCast and DAS would bump it up though idk

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah I'm going to try and sell my full Rift setup for a couple hundred once I get the Index. I was only intending to buy the bare-minimum setup, the headset and one base station, but fear of that not working right made me buy the whole package.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

katkillad2 posted:

Was interested in the Oculus Quest, wireless VR sounds pretty good and that's an acceptable price. I realize I'm probably in the .001% of people this affects... but why do I see requirements of an Iphone or Android phone? Windows phone owner punished once again :smith:

I mean you’re using a dead platform that even it’s creator has no interest in supporting. It’s only going to get worse for you.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

LOL Windows Phone

Hover
Jun 14, 2003

Your post hits a tree.
The tree is an ent.
The tree is angry.
guys leave him alone he already has a windows phone, his life is bad enough already :(

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

AccountSupervisor posted:

So what is everyone playing in VR these days?

I picked up Elite Dangerous again, but then they introduced a really crippling bug with the April update (and some really cool stuff too) so not touching that until we get a bugfix. So i don't really VR now outside the occasional bout of Gorn when i want to watch limbs fly.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So what's the general consensus on the Oculus Rift S? Since the original Rift isn't being supported anymore, and with Index coming out, I'm not sure if I should just stick with the Rift brand or head to Index town

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

My Knuck’s order straight charges my card, but the knucks/Index order didn’t show up. It’s possible I missed the first batch and got waitlisted. I’m not honestly sure.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Willo567 posted:

So what's the general consensus on the Oculus Rift S? Since the original Rift isn't being supported anymore, and with Index coming out, I'm not sure if I should just stick with the Rift brand or head to Index town

If you have the money to consider an Index, get an Index. By all accounts the only disappointment with it was the higher than expected price.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

Get ready for AR, Apple Reality. Full HD resolution, $3000, comes with a two button remote.

*two* buttons?! little optimistic, don't you think?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Warbird posted:

My Knuck’s order straight charges my card, but the knucks/Index order didn’t show up. It’s possible I missed the first batch and got waitlisted. I’m not honestly sure.

The waitlist is when you click reserve after it's already sold out.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you have the money to consider an Index, get an Index. By all accounts the only disappointment with it was the higher than expected price.

The Steam VR doesn't have anything like Oculus' in-game window management does it? And I'm not talking about the 3rd party stuff that kind of does the same thing but isn't anywhere near as intuitive and simple. That is one of the biggest hurdles for me in considering Index.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

jubjub64 posted:

The Steam VR doesn't have anything like Oculus' in-game window management does it? And I'm not talking about the 3rd party stuff that kind of does the same thing but isn't anywhere near as intuitive and simple. That is one of the biggest hurdles for me in considering Index.

Pinning windows sucks but it’s going to be a hard, hard loss for me with Dash for desktop usages. SteamVR desktop blows almost bad enough to deter me from Index.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What exactly makes Index better than the Rift S?

I'm trying to go overboard on my VR budget, plus I was thinking about selling the older Rift model to afford the S

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Willo567 posted:

I'm trying to go overboard on my VR budget, plus I was thinking about selling the older Rift model to afford the S

No compromises.
Higher resolution, higher fov, higher refresh rate, hardware IPD, non-halo strap, good headphones, better tracking. Knuckles is an improvement while touch2 is a slight downgrade.
Pushing literally every aspect of current consumer VR up, but you have to pay for it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Willo567 posted:

Better display and controllers, mechanical IPD and visual adjustment (you can slide the displays towards and away from your eyes), far better sound, and a better ecosystem to upgrade in long-term. The Rift S isn't a bad device, it's just very average and come upgrade time it goes in the bin for a whole new thing. The Index actually has some measure of futureproofing as well, with the enhanced refresh rates and the equipment module in front (that, granted, will almost probably never see general consumer use in any meaningful capacity).

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

So will I have to just sell off my Rift now? Did they say how long the original will be supported after the Rift S is out?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

rage-saq posted:

No compromises.
Higher resolution, higher fov, higher refresh rate, hardware IPD, non-halo strap, good headphones, better tracking. Knuckles is an improvement while touch2 is a slight downgrade.
Pushing literally every aspect of current consumer VR up, but you have to pay for it.

Halo system is good for glasses. It's why I'm switching to it from the original rift.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Willo567 posted:

So will I have to just sell off my Rift now? Did they say how long the original will be supported after the Rift S is out?
I would be surprised if they ever actually eliminated support for the Rift CV1 for a long rear end time. Like, their software still supports the DK2 even

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

D1E posted:

LOL Windows Phone

I own a Windows RT Tablet. The Nokia 2520 is very sweet, and if the hardware could use actual human being software then it'd be sick as hell, but turns out Microsoft just abandoned Windows RT to die instead of letting it be useful.

still lol at windows phone owners

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Hamelekim posted:

Halo system is good for glasses. It's why I'm switching to it from the original rift.

I’ve got glasses and I can’t stand halo systems. The small issues with glasses and classic Rift strap style are much better than dealing with something wobbly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Willo567 posted:

There aren't any crazy new features in the Rift S that the Rift can't do, it will keep working.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

rage-saq posted:

I’ve got glasses and I can’t stand halo systems. The small issues with glasses and classic Rift strap style are much better than dealing with something wobbly.

I can't wear it without fogging occurring, Even just sitting still. I never had that issue with Vive.

I just want to buy the index, but who knows when Valve will open up sales to Canada and other countries.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hellsau posted:

I own a Windows RT Tablet. The Nokia 2520 is very sweet, and if the hardware could use actual human being software then it'd be sick as hell, but turns out Microsoft just abandoned Windows RT to die instead of letting it be useful.

Windows phone is *still* the strongest designed phone OS. :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cojawfee posted:

There aren't any crazy new features in the Rift S that the Rift can't do, it will keep working.

It's more a concern that the Rift will just be end-of-lifed in favour of the Rift S. Which people already had a bit of a panic over when it seemed to disappear from storefronts for a bit.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'm not in any hurry to upgrade based on this week's announcements. But if my Rift suddenly died, and Oculus refused to fix it, I would replace it with an Index, not a Rift S.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

BonoMan posted:

Windows phone is *still* the strongest designed phone OS. :colbert:

Windows RT is still the best OS where the only internet browser is Internet Explorer.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
A big part of my thought was that they're obviously not abandoning the past with the Index, since if you have previous gen Lighthouses and Wands you can just update the headset. I assume you can do the same thing when Index 2 or something comes out, since the Knuckles look pretty great already.

By paying 1k right now I don't necessarily have to pay quite as much in the future for cutting-edge VR.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Cojawfee posted:

The waitlist is when you click reserve after it's already sold out.

Double checked and I was wait listed for the Index+knuckles. Looks like the estimated availability is late July. I'll likely just cancel it and order the headset separately later. Bummer that work decided I needed to do a thing for once, c'est la vie. I did get my brother a Quest so I can log some piddling around time with that in a bit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warbird posted:

Double checked and I was wait listed for the Index+knuckles. Looks like the estimated availability is late July. I'll likely just cancel it and order the headset separately later. Bummer that work decided I needed to do a thing for once, c'est la vie. I did get my brother a Quest so I can log some piddling around time with that in a bit.

You're far better off just sitting on the known preorder than hunting for something that sold out this fast and has limited distribution (for the moment, at least).

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Sky Shadowing posted:

A big part of my thought was that they're obviously not abandoning the past with the Index, since if you have previous gen Lighthouses and Wands you can just update the headset. I assume you can do the same thing when Index 2 or something comes out, since the Knuckles look pretty great already.

By paying 1k right now I don't necessarily have to pay quite as much in the future for cutting-edge VR.

I think it's mostly a sign that Valve wants their VR to be PC-style. You can mix and match the parts to get exactly what you want, but at the risk of things getting... finicky. I suspect Oculus is going for more of a console style, where you buy the complete package and you're limited in what you get, but you know it will probably be dependable and easy to use.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

EdEddnEddy posted:

Windows Phone was great, just Microsoft being Microsoft, abandoned it one two many time for them, or anyone else to support it. Plus never making any new hardware when they did get to Windows Phone 10 didn't help matters.
Great product design...with lovely hardware and software, with a rough migration from shittier hardware and shittier kernel to at least a proper WinNT kernel instead of WinCE nonsense (7->8). And not enough memory, goddammit.

Hellsau posted:

:goonsay:
well akshually it's now Windows 10 S - UWP-only, and runs on arm64 hardware. So they just iterated and made something less lovely than RT. But it was still made rough by no transition from RT to S afaik.

we_eat_dirt
Jan 7, 2013
Has foveated rendering been discussing in the thread? Its a little disappointing to see the Index without eye tracking as in theory foveated render would allow much less resource use which may allow games to run at 120hz.

I would like to get into VR in the near future but I do think that eye tracking is essential for a good experience and would allow me to have reasonable hardware without have to spend 2000AUD on a GPU.

Maybe this Index Frunk would allow someone to add eye tracking?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I have a $350 (USD) video card (rtx 2060) and an oculus rift cv1 and have an excellent VR experience without foveated rendering or an expensive video card .

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bremen posted:

I think it's mostly a sign that Valve wants their VR to be PC-style. You can mix and match the parts to get exactly what you want, but at the risk of things getting... finicky. I suspect Oculus is going for more of a console style, where you buy the complete package and you're limited in what you get, but you know it will probably be dependable and easy to use.

I don't think it can really get finicky. The age of things like the Voodoo and AGP graphics cards are long-dead, and everyone's cracked on to the input standards created between the Oculus Touch and Knuckle controllers (Pimax has Knuckle knockoffs coming, and Sony has patents for their own version. Even HP's been teasing "new controllers" of some kind), and you can't really improve up on that much or go too far away from that without making your expensive controllers unusable for most of your already-small potential market. Especially when the Vive Tracker covers the biggest expensive parts of anything custom like a gun controller.

HMD-wise, there's not really a whole lot you can actually break compatibility for if you're not Oculus. The worst you could really do at this point is make something incompatible with the V1.0 Lighthouses, and with the V2.0's becoming available through Steam (hopefully in sane quantities and worldwide eventually) that's not too hard a pill to swallow in the long run.

we_eat_dirt posted:

Has foveated rendering been discussing in the thread? Its a little disappointing to see the Index without eye tracking as in theory foveated render would allow much less resource use which may allow games to run at 120hz.

I would like to get into VR in the near future but I do think that eye tracking is essential for a good experience and would allow me to have reasonable hardware without have to spend 2000AUD on a GPU.

Just get the Index if you want a high-end device now or eventually. Long-term it'll mean you just have to buy a new HMD instead of a whole new setup.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

we_eat_dirt posted:

No, nothing about that slot could add eye tracking, that has to be inside the headset where it can, well, see your eyes.

And you don't really need a 2000aud gpu to get into vr, min requirement is still a 970, or 1060. The index has a higher requirement, especially at a higher refresh, but that's unavoidable.

That said, eye tracking, foviated rendering, are hardly required for a good experience. People have a good experience with a psvr and that's running off a 6 year old console at 1080p with bad tracking.

If you're waiting on foviated rendering to become a standard thing, your going to be waiting another couple years. Now is a great time for vr though, the headsets are pretty cheap, the required GPUs are pretty old at this point so most can run them, and there's a decent amount of software.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Foveated rendering doesn't practically exist right now beyond demos, like on the handful of headsets that actually have eye tracking barely any software exists that does it. Even "fixed foveated rendering" where it just blindly renders fewer pixels on the outer perimeter with no regard to where you're looking is barely used despite Valve writing papers and showing reference implementations on that poo poo like 4 years ago.

Part of it is there's still barely any engine support for it so you really have to build your graphics pipeline around the idea, and you mostly have to do it yourself because hardware support right now is only in the most recent and expensive GPUs. Also people that know their poo poo seem really sketchy about if the eye tracking in the Vive Pro Eye or Fove or whatever else is out is actually good enough to reliably do it without it being noticeable, that's a much higher standard of eye tracking than what people are typically doing with those things

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I did get Space Junkies the other day and I forget what they call it, but it has a density slider, and those pixels get chunky AS gently caress when you turn it all the way up, its cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Proclick: https://youtu.be/FhiAFo9U_sM?t=204

Facebook's vrchat is gonna be super high-quality, but the only avatar you get to use is a goon.