Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

PneumonicBook posted:

If one crew does something really awesome on deployment is that like a super meta version of Navy cucking?

Well the Other Crew on USS LASTSHIP got port calls in Australia and Singapore while we got Guam and Guam so...yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Itt we bitch about double tropical vacations

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013

Cerekk posted:

Doesn't the whole Cyclone class do crew swapping?

They did until they moved PCRON out to Bahrain and homeported them out of there instead of having them split between Bahrain and Little Creek. When i was on them 06-10 we had similar issues that you would run into on the other swaps mentioned on a smaller scale. Can't say i was a big fan of the crew swaps, though flying to/from deployment wasnt too bad, at least you usually got a couple days downtime after the crew swap was done before flying home.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

CMD598 posted:

Itt we bitch about double tropical vacations

Guam is the island of misfit children. Its the poor mans tropical vacation. Its also hornier vegas.

Its not really a happy or healthy place to be on for any extended period of time.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Well you never know if it'll tip because too many people are on one side.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yeah and people constantly bitch about the work done by the "other crew" (gold crew) because they're a bunch of lazy fuckwits!

They’d actually be better served with A/B/C/D crews for hull swaps or whatever.
A/B start
A is relieved by C
a month later or so B gets relieved by D
So B is there for turnover purposes originally, kinda like staggered shifts for emergency services jobs.
And repeat...
Of course what would happen is one crew would be short due to reasons and some poor souls would get hosed y being held over...

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Dingleberry posted:

A/B start
A is relieved by C
So B is there for turnover purposes originally, kinda like staggered shifts for emergency services jobs.
And repeat...
Of course what would happen is one crew would be short due to reasons and some poor souls would get hosed y being held over...

When crew swap was tried on DDGs it was staggered like this for logistical/berthing reasons if nothing else.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Dingleberry posted:

A/B start
A is relieved by C
And repeat...

That’s basically how it’s done on most cargo ships, you switch out 5-10% of the crew every two or three weeks (depending on the schedule and stuff).

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 2, 2019

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ManMythLegend posted:

When crew swap was tried on DDGs it was staggered like this for logistical/berthing reasons if nothing else.

iirc big navy's report about DDG crewswaps was that the program was a tremendous success and also immediately shuttered and will never be done again.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

FrozenVent posted:

That’s basically how it’s done on most cargo ships, you switch out 5-10% of the crew every two or three weeks (depending on the schedule and stuff).

I've done almost whole crews. The top 4 are usually permanent though and may get more extended changeover. We basically reflag ships like that after all.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yeah reflags, lay ups and fit outs are their own thing. Dry docks too.

But I’ve never seen a whole crew switch in normal operations on a commercial boat.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
So far Whidbey as been pretty awesome, good to be back in the Northwest.

That said holy hell the deer here are a bunch of annoying overgrown forest rats.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Jimmy4400nav posted:

That said holy hell the deer here are a bunch of annoying overgrown forest rats.

Confirmed.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Glad to hear blue side is as jacked as green side culture and trash recruits wise

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Depredation permit and lunch is on!

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Are deer... not like that somewhere?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Madurai posted:

Nah on Whidbey it's twice as bad.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

LingcodKilla posted:

Depredation permit and lunch is on!

Was looking at hunting laws on the island, they seem like they mostly use bows here.

Madurai posted:

In my little neighborhood alone we have about 10 mangy looking ones strutting around. Cars dont even phase 'em.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I got a 4 point buck who likes to sleep in my driveway and could give a fuuuuuck about me and my car. I have to throw pebbles at him because it’s too loud to honk the horn in the morning.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

LingcodKilla posted:

I got a 4 point buck who likes to sleep in my driveway and could give a fuuuuuck about me and my car. I have to throw pebbles at him because it’s too loud to honk the horn in the morning.

Slap a Saddle on it and ride to work for free. Gas is going up in price. Second plan go legal and harvest that tasty tasty organic hunk of meat in your driveway.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Deer taste good.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

My wife thinks he’s cute. Plus momma has twins constantly and also uses our yard so she won’t have me killing the rascals.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Try a dog whistle?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LingcodKilla posted:

My wife thinks he’s cute. Plus momma has twins constantly and also uses our yard so she won’t have me killing the rascals.

I swear you've told this story before in a different thread.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I swear you've told this story before in a different thread.

I have. It was topical to this thread.

My life is boring sorry.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
So I finally got hooked back up to normal internet so I could check my NMCI email.

AAAAANNNNNNDDDD it turns out my sponsor didn't send me some paperwork I was supposed to fill out to get a government passport since my unit I'm joining is overseas. I have my civilian one but no government one.

The sad thing is I was talking with a couple other JGs I know who are at the squadron too also didnt know about sending all the paperwork or process to me either. It took me reaching out to the administrative LPO to get all the requisite information...just in time for me to be nowhere near any PSDs since I booked it south from Whidbey to visit my family before deployment (burning leave before leaving).

Am I allowed to expedite a package with my birth certificate and all my application forms to PSD?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Jimmy4400nav posted:

So I finally got hooked back up to normal internet so I could check my NMCI email.

AAAAANNNNNNDDDD it turns out my sponsor didn't send me some paperwork I was supposed to fill out to get a government passport since my unit I'm joining is overseas. I have my civilian one but no government one.

The sad thing is I was talking with a couple other JGs I know who are at the squadron too also didnt know about sending all the paperwork or process to me either. It took me reaching out to the administrative LPO to get all the requisite information...just in time for me to be nowhere near any PSDs since I booked it south from Whidbey to visit my family before deployment (burning leave before leaving).

Am I allowed to expedite a package with my birth certificate and all my application forms to PSD?

Lol. Welcome to your journey. But yeah they'll probably figure something out for you.

When I first got my gov passport many years ago the one civvie guy at psd who processed them rage quit and mine and many other application packages sat unnoticed in his vacant office for weeks. It was sorted when our YNC called over and they found the papers. Of course this was after getting my rear end reemed for the procrastination I, PO3, must've done and the commands poor readiness that was my fault. Who knew a PO3 could weild such power?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Jesus Christ officers are loving useless

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

King of Bees posted:

Lol. Welcome to your journey. But yeah they'll probably figure something out for you.

When I first got my gov passport many years ago the one civvie guy at psd who processed them rage quit and mine and many other application packages sat unnoticed in his vacant office for weeks. It was sorted when our YNC called over and they found the papers. Of course this was after getting my rear end reemed for the procrastination I, PO3, must've done and the commands poor readiness that was my fault. Who knew a PO3 could weild such power?

Kawasaki Nun posted:

And I only found this out because I did a one day stop at Whidbey after spending the week driving cross country. The PSD passport guy was like "yeah you need all these forms plus that form they sent you needs the YN1s signature in blue ink".

Like, I get that I could have been a little more provocative in getting some of this stuff, but I was busy moving and while I get that my sponsor may have been busy its still annoying that after almost 3 weeks of emailing back and forth he couldn't get me all the info I got with one single email to the YN1.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

And I only found this out because I did a one day stop at Whidbey after spending the week driving cross country. The PSD passport guy was like "yeah you need all these forms plus that form they sent you needs the YN1s signature in blue ink".

Like, I get that I could have been a little more provocative in getting some of this stuff, but I was busy moving and while I get that my sponsor may have been busy its still annoying that after almost 3 weeks of emailing back and forth he couldn't get me all the info I got with one single email to the YN1.

Hey, lemme let you in on a little secret: you're a god damned officer - you're supposed to be able to figure this poo poo out on your own. I know you've been loving off in flight school and such for a few years so have had a lot of stuff handed to you, but it's not your sponsor's or anyone else's job to make sure you, a commissioned officer, has his ducks in a row.

Everything that happens in the navy has a regulation or instruction that lays it out for you. If you don't know how to find, read, and follow those rules, you're going to have a rough time actually functioning as a division officer. Hopefully this situation serves as a wake up call otherwise you're going to be a pain in the rear end to everyone around you rather than actually serving some useful function.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
All the information you need was most likely in your orders, or there was something in there that told you where to find the information.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

That's why he was saying this. It has nothing to do with your sponsor. He's calling you useless. This is what your Sailors are going to think of you unless you get your head out of your rear end, as well.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Mr. Nice! posted:

All the information you need was most likely in your orders, or there was something in there that told you where to find the information.

That's why he was saying this. It has nothing to do with your sponsor. He's calling you useless. This is what your Sailors are going to think of you unless you get your head out of your rear end, as well.

Worse....we will 100% actively sabotage you in front of your superiors to show how loving incompetent you are.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Melthir posted:

Worse....we will 100% actively sabotage you in front of your superiors to show how loving incompetent you are.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

If you want to get proactive talk to admin and get looped in on the personnel reports for gains and whenever a new JO is rolling in from the pipeline send the info yourself. Explain your experience, what you learned from it and expectations for them moving forward on that front

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Or just loving do whatever and let the Chiefs snowblind you and have your POs pick up all the slack, what do I or any of the POs or former PO officers know

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Mr. Nice! posted:

Good Stuff

Melthir posted:

maffew buildings posted:

If you want to get proactive talk to admin and get looped in on the personnel reports for gains and whenever a new JO is rolling in from the pipeline send the info yourself. Explain your experience, what you learned from it and expectations for them moving forward on that front

Definitely, I've been doing a ton of complaining, but I do understand that it is on me to get my own poo poo squared away. Got all the paperwork done, just have to turn it into PSD and coordinated with the admin to make sure me and a couple of other people bring all our required stuff. I do want to loop in with admin to help out with any new gains to the squadron.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I do want to loop in with admin to help out with any new gains to the squadron.

This is great idea and I'm sure admin will appreciate it and most of the issues will get squared away! Tell them you said loop in.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
It's so cute when they're new and still have the factory wrapping on them.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Please don't pick on the nub too hard, he's been at flight school for a few years and hasn't had the opportunity to interact with dirty enlisted people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

Melthir posted: