Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Reading an LP before playing it.

You just gotta stay one step ahead. :wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I don't know when I'll get the game is the problem there then.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'll give credit the big Essentia 2000 plot twist: it made me want to tune in to watch Yuk unfold for longer than I would have without it. I just can't be bothered to watch anymore, even though this LP is one long riff on how bad it is. One of the things that bugs me the most is that there are some good ideas that, in the hands of a competent story teller, could have been connected together competently. Allan is not good at this. Every development is buried under an avalanche of :words: , and sometimes there is a glimpse into the creators' horrible worldview, but there is never a theme that ties it together.

Also, Yuk doesn't have inspirations so much as it has pieces of media that it copies wholesale: Murakami, Persona, Earthbound. voiceofdog's video laid out the central tenets of Earthbound-likes pretty concretely and one of them was that they all had their own little spin on it. Yuk just puts in Onett, Moonside, and the Giygas battle in 3D and calls it a day. It's incredibly lazy. And Allan's attitude that we don't understand his genius is laughable but not surprising.

I'm so glad we're coming up on Jimmy. It's the anti-Yuk: everything is just so inspired and crafted with care. I might just want to join in as a voice. Don't put me down just yet but I'll alert this or the next thread when I'm ready.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'd just like to add that I'd be down to commentate on Jimmy if you'll have me when the time comes. :3:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

get that OUT of my face posted:

I'm so glad we're coming up on Jimmy. It's the anti-Yuk: everything is just so inspired and crafted with care. I might just want to join in as a voice. Don't put me down just yet but I'll alert this or the next thread when I'm ready.

No sweat. You do you and I'm glad you're considering it.

BioEnchanted posted:

I'd just like to add that I'd be down to commentate on Jimmy if you'll have me when the time comes. :3:

Absolutely. You've been added to the list.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

GrandmaParty posted:

Because i am nice, I edited 7 minutes out of the final battle sequence.

How does it take more than 7 minutes to use LP Toss?

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Actuarial Fables posted:

How does it take more than 7 minutes to use LP Toss?

It's a gimmick fight which will bug out if you hit it too hard.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 1, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Combat Lobster posted:

It's a gimmick fight which will bugged out if you hit it too hard.

And it sure did

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

So I had about two hours of footage of two bros. ready to edit for a couple of bonus videos, but after starting the second video I realized I don't have the willpower to work on them any further so here's some of the highlights from those two hours:

The very first thing that stands out to me is the VERY LOUD background music. For real this poo poo is practically clipping, and I had my volume at around 40 which for most games barely go over -12db at that setting. Also there is no setting in the options to fix this:

The game uses a 'reaction' system to response to questions and the like. Here they are happy, mad, and blowjob face (complete with prison tattoo):

Also this game presents dialogue, status updates, whatever in a always-present textbox. The textbox will never go away, it is always there and will have the last bit text on display until it has a reason to update it. Personally, I find this to be a problem because the fact that it's always there has sorta made me want to not pay attention to it as often as I should.

So after completing the tutorial, I started a new game which opens with a long opening where Roy sets things up by telling us that he and his wife are looking for artifacts or some poo poo, but when I'm given control, this happens: (Note this is not the actual start of the game.)

Video: Game breaks before even starting because doing the tutorial does that

Luckily you can reset the game with F2. So after going through the opening again, We're met with Roy and his loving wife Jane. We walk to the top of this cliff thing and then Roy and Jane start making out. Aw yeah, pixelated second base...

After they're done sucking each other's faces off they go down to the fish. Jane takes point and says that the fish king looks dead. Roy rolls up beside her and...

Video: Making a deal with a Goat, see?

So now both Roy and Jane are dead, and then the title drop happens with some slow rear end text about science or some poo poo. I can't be bothered to read any of this as it's some Alex-levels of fart sniffing. We return to the game in a new place labeled 'Game Over', and there's something different about this place. It has colors other than gameboy pale greens and weird hazy blues!

Roy walks around a bit and finds this dude named "Guide" who basically tells Roy, "Yo dawg, you ain't suppose to be here cus isn't your time yet. Naw, quit asking questions about your wife, I dunno nothing." Then a hole opens up below Roy and drops him back down to the living world. We then cut to one year later where Roy has moved past his wife's death and is now really REALLY horny for more colors. Unfortunately, his attempts to finds new colors in the living world haven't panned out. Roy mentions he received a letter from his brother, Bivare, which notes that he had made progress with the color hunt and wishes to meet with Roy in Volta.

I think that's about as much as I can manage at the moment. I'll continue this after cleansing my palette alittle with a better game.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 1, 2019

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Combat Lobster posted:

So I had about two hours of footage of two bros. ready to edit for a couple of bonus videos, but after starting the second video I realized I don't have the willpower to work on them any further so here's some of the highlights from those two hours:

The very first thing that stands out to me is the VERY LOUD background music. For real this poo poo is practically clipping, and I had my volume at around 40 which for most games barely go over -12db at that setting Also there is no setting in the options to fix this:

I...what? :psyboom:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Oh hey this is what happened to me and why I never played any further! Heh, joke's on me for wanting to know how to play.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I personally wanna know how you got the window to be so big without the game crashing

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

I personally wanna know how you got the window to be so big without the game crashing

Had to reach out to one of my buds over at the Fangames thread for a software solution to this: http://www.brianapps.net/sizer/

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 1, 2019

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

oh noo. this game real bad

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Ah, I see, the story of the brothers Roy and Biv and their quest for colors. I wonder how they fit the G in so they can finally taste the rainbow.

Honestly the fish king stuff was actually kind of interesting, though too wordy. Except for the game breaking bugs and instantly fridging the loving wife.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I see his opinion on women has been well documented ever since that game.

loving hard pass

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
I think the internet might seriously implode if somebody ever did a full-on, beat-by-beat deconstruction of this game.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

So of course the woman doesn't have a name and is only referred to as "Loving Wife". It's kind of amazing how you can build an accurate portrait of the devs' views on women just by looking at their games.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Qrr posted:

Ah, I see, the story of the brothers Roy and Biv and their quest for colors. I wonder how they fit the G in so they can finally taste the rainbow.

Their last name is 'Guarder'.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Qrr posted:

Oh buddy, I have seen Roy taste the rainbow and it is loving sick and nasty.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Miss posted:

oh noo. this game real bad

That is definitely the face she would make playing this game

I love it

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You know I was gonna make a joke a while ago that the 3rd ending will be Dick Masterson convincing Alex (and you??) to join the Men Going Their Own Way movement but wasn't completely sure Andrew deserved that.

Until now of course.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Combat Lobster posted:

I think that's about as much as I can manage at the moment. I'll continue this after cleansing my palette alittle with a better game.

Thanks for the look! I tried to get it working and ended up with that tiny useless window that, and after seeing so much of YIIK I don't really wanna give Ackk Studios any more benefit of the doubt. So I closed it and went to go play more Baba. :v:

Thotimx posted:

I think the internet might seriously implode if somebody ever did a full-on, beat-by-beat deconstruction of this game.

The problem here is that YIIK is entirely surface-level garbage, so deconstructions of it end up with a pile of rubble as it were. The moment you take any of its parts away from it, the whole thing collapses. I originally thought this game was doing something clever with its Earthbound influences, giving characters plaid or stripes based on whether or not they were adults(Rory is implied to be younger, and Michael is 17, where Vella and Alex are both in their mid-20s) but, then Chondra comes along and she's supposed to be five minutes older than Alex? With her absolutely whacky twisty timeline that we're not allowed to dissect because the game headed us off at the pass and yelled "REALITIES! TIME DOESN'T FLOW THE SAME!! SOUL SPACE!!!" at us.

This game loving sucks on every level, it's unreal how it just keeps getting worse and worse and worse, more and more up its own rear end. At this point it's so far up its' own rear end it came out its' own mouth, then went around and up its own rear end AGAIN. I hate that Soul Space is literally space. I hate that The Essentia 2000 supposedly exists to explore her own parallel nature, but actually just exists to ferry Alex to Alex Safety Island. I hate the arbitrary use of Proto- being applied to people achieving enlightenment or some poo poo. I hate that the Proto-Woman hasn't come back up so we're either never gonna see her again or she's annoyingly important. I hate that the golden alpaca hasn't been explained and that it never getting an explanation is probably the stupid joke.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
It's post-post. You probably aren't capable of understanding.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Okay, now that I've had some time to clear my head let's continue down the Two Brothers hole.

After all that text, Roy walks out of his room and gets ready to leave. Before leaving though, I know that I have to talk to the Inn Keep, so I try to do that.

Huh? I'm talking to you right now! So I try again and I got the same text. I try behind the counter.

So turns out you have to try and leave:

gently caress you. Roy says his goodbyes and leaves a book with Sliva that apparently will allow her to "be all caught up on my plans for when I get back." Whatever that means.

Once outside, Roy walks around Kalta a bit. Not much interesting going on here beside this NPC who gripes about people cutting the tall grass like they expect something to be there. (Little did he know that we found an anatomically correct heart in the grass which gives us back some lost health.)

A little ways north is Emily Rogers who had this to say:

Uh huh, whatever.

Roy leaves and before we can get to the overworld, we have another text dump from Roy while he stares down a tree.

Roy posted:

After the death of my LOVING WIFE, Jane. I've moved around a lot... Kalta Inn is just one of many places I've stayed in this year. I've traveled from one town to another hoping to find something that sparks inspiration.

I've seen most of the eastern continent now, and I've enjoyed my travels very much. My brother and I were raised in this part of the world, so it's been nice to visit all the places from my childhood.

I haven't returned to the western continent, or to Jane's and my old home. Since that day in the cursed lands... Bivare's letters keep telling me what I already know... If I want answers, one day I'll have to return there.

I haven't seen much of my brother, or my old colleagues from the university either. Now, having received a letter from Bivare. I hope his news will hold some sort of positive answer.

I am a fortunate man to have a brother who believes my unrealistic findings.

Hopefully whatever Bivare has stumbled upon will aid me in proving my theories, or at least to further understand what I experienced.

Finally, we're taken to the overworld. North is where we need to go, but the wagon structure to the right has my attention.

Roy enters this wagon titled 'Caravan?' The caravan has a series of letters on the ground and a sign that says:

Luckily the code was leaked long ago. It's AABBAA. Entering it takes Roy to a pub where Kickstarter backers hang out. The Devs are here too.

The only other room in this place is a single room with two dudes hanging out. Believe it or not these guys are a weapon that we can take with us. How does that work? Like this:

Before leaving the caravan forever, I enter one more code 'ACKK'.

Video: Bitch I'm hilarious!

Well with that I need another break. I might abridge the rest of my misadventures of this game and finish this up later.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 1, 2019

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Kobold eBooks posted:

I hate that the Proto-Woman hasn't come back up so we're either never gonna see her again or she's annoyingly important. I hate that the golden alpaca hasn't been explained and that it never getting an explanation is probably the stupid joke.

You know who else never returns? Sammy's roommate. Who gets a mention and a scene where his silhouette moves in the foreground and... that's it! And you wanna know why? 'Cuz they cut him from the game... but decided not to remove the bit where he gets talked about OR the bit where his silhouette shows up.

YIIK.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Combat Lobster posted:

Well with that I need another break.
How much of yiik is recycled Two Bothers?

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
Not to be reductive, but Two Brothers looks stupid as hell.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kobold eBooks posted:

It has a decent idea for a plot. Life, death, immortality, and bringing loved ones back is a classic plot for a reason. The problem is that it's Ackk.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Kobold eBooks posted:

Am I right in thinking it's basically Welcome to Pleasantville: The Movie: The Game?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Am I right in thinking it's basically Welcome to Pleasantville: The Movie: The Game?

Ya know, replace "sexual maturity" with "life and death" and I think you're right.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

iospace posted:

It has a decent idea for a plot. Life, death, immortality, and bringing loved ones back is a classic plot for a reason. The problem is that it's Ackk.

Yeah, for an indie version of Legend of Zelda/Mana, it's pretty alright. It's the technical issues that kill it.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
For a game set in 1999 the main characters sure look a lot like late 2010s hipsters. Does that ever get addressed?

I might've stopped watching too early, as the game is unbearable even with commentary.

Hammurabi fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 1, 2019

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Hammurabi posted:

For a game set in 1999 the main characters sure look a lot like late 2010s hipsters. Does that ever get addressed?

In this thread, yes. In-game? what does your heart tell you

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 27 is up.

I have to drive an hour in the morning.

Special guest: Huskyhog and Huskyhog. Huskyhog and Huskyhog were out trading in their car and couldn't make it to make a full Huskyhog episode.

Holy poo poo! We did it! Holy loving poo poo!

I hope you like all this buildup to a big, wet fart.

That's you. You're the female Alex.

And the Proto Alex.

It's worth scaling this mountain to say you did it.

Also Huskyhog and Huskyhog and I went to see some otters at Seaquest and they were really cute until they turned out to be gross.

Hope you played Two Brothers to understand the ending.

Cutscene Commentary On

Cutscene Commentary Off

Scabs is in this one. I actually had to edit out a portion where she screamed into the microphone directly because it was 7 more goddamn minutes of this boss fight which I broke by LP Tossing him into next month.

One more to go. And it's bad. Hope you like second endings and bad streams.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm judging you.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
At the end of the day I am not sure what is going on and I think I feel extreme apathy for anything in this game that I do get.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So in the end this is a vore game. "I was worried about hurting people, but I didn't know the difference between being flawed, and being evil". No, Alex, you chased after some dead girl tail, got freaked out by an end of the world poo poo, pissed off a lot of people, got them all killed and then made us eat all the souls of every other Alex to somehow fix everything. You're not flawed, you're just a self-insert. And made us you, because that's the only way you'd empathize with anyone else - if they were you that did poo poo for them.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The proto Alexes throwing jizz socks and realizing how unoriginal and worthless they were were surprisingly self aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
I'm sorry, what's the point of the reveal?