Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Zodack posted:

Also please feel free to laugh at my great four sheets of printer paper + one lamp photo booth

Hey, if it works, it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Yes! finally a modern Tallgeese 3 kit!

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I tell you what, these water slides on the MG Turn Red do not want to stay put at all, never had any want to lift at the slightest breeze like these do.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Are you using microset or mr mark setter? Are you clear coating after applying them?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/wisemanFZ/status/1122126915446272006

man I wish I could get my weathering to look like that

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Ka0 posted:

Are you using microset or mr mark setter? Are you clear coating after applying them?

I've been using Tamiya Mark Fit, need to get some more mark setter as I'm out. Maybe I've got some residue left on it from handling the pieces, just never had trouble with them before.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Kuvo posted:

https://twitter.com/wisemanFZ/status/1122126915446272006

man I wish I could get my weathering to look like that

I get kind of fatigued by constant over-weathering in mecha kits. Unless this unit has been left to rot for decades, why does it look that beaten up?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
It just survived its first Minnesota winter

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
My impression of weathered kits is, like decals, that it's a good way to add another layer of detail and complexity to a kit and make it look more professional. That being said I feel weathering also appears easier to do and you can go slapdash and still get a faux-pro product. Idk, I haven't weathered before and I much prefer a "factory fresh" look.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That looks impressively gladitorial. I think I actually like it better than the original custom Rebake. I think it might need a bigger shield to complete it though, maybe?

I agree, feels almost like it needs something bigger or more angular.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Zodack posted:

My impression of weathered kits is, like decals, that it's a good way to add another layer of detail and complexity to a kit and make it look more professional. That being said I feel weathering also appears easier to do and you can go slapdash and still get a faux-pro product. Idk, I haven't weathered before and I much prefer a "factory fresh" look.

Weathering is also a way to cover up mistakes. I don't think that's why most gunpla enthusiasts are doing it though: I think it's almost a 'cultural' thing. Having a massively bashed up robot is seen to be cooler than something pristine, though I would argue that a 'factory fresh' look is far, far harder to pull off than something that has literally been through the wars.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I think there's hardly anything more daunting and difficult than producing a "picture perfect" flawless model. Perfect panel lines (nearly impossible), even crisp chamfered cuts (also nearly impossible), seamless curved surfaces, no paint smudges or scratching. I can see why GBWC winners usually are seemingly plain looking kits because they look perfect even with closeup examination.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

My big problem with weathering is that a lot of people seem to forget to keep the scale in mind and wind up making what looks like a very nicely weathered small plastic toy instead of a large metal machine

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
As I work on my backlog I realize: The MG X-1 Full Cloth is a pain in the aaaaass.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Gearhead posted:

As I work on my backlog I realize: The MG X-1 Full Cloth is a pain in the aaaaass.

Have fun making the goddamn peacock smasher colour accurate and making the cape thing actually stay on.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
MG kits like this send me screaming back into High Grades.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

As awesome as I think the Crossbone is, I don't think there's a kit that isn't an unfun sticker hellscape.

I'll just stick with my too expensive metal build.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
It's a grenade of tiny plastic parts held together with friction unable to hold up its own weapons. It looks nice, but posing it is an exercise in patience, really needs a stand and any jostling could cause the whole thing to come flying apart.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
The MG Zudah is an actual grenade

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That looks impressively gladitorial. I think I actually like it better than the original custom Rebake. I think it might need a bigger shield to complete it though, maybe?

GP-02's :smug:

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
There is actually a wild custom Grimoire that has the GP-02 shield bashed with the K9 dog pack legs. Used it for waterslide placement reference when working on mine

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I have no idea how I've gone this long without realising that the Nu Gundam is literally 22 meters tall. That's huge!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah, gigantism is a thing that started in Zeta and reached its apex in Unicorn, so the suits from Chars Counterattack are all 20 meters or bigger.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I’m kinda used to wing and the rx-78 so 16 to 18 meters being the rough guideposts for protagonist suits is what I thought of until I saw a gunpla video with the mg nu in comparison and was like whoa

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Merilan posted:

I’m kinda used to wing and the rx-78 so 16 to 18 meters being the rough guideposts for protagonist suits is what I thought of until I saw a gunpla video with the mg nu in comparison and was like whoa

Wing is pretty tiny by Gundam standards. There was a stretch from F91 to X where Gundams were shrinking. Ended with Turn A, which got the main Gundam back up to a comfortable 20 meters.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 2, 2019

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
For comparison, the F-16 is around 15m long, the F-14 and 15 are both around 19m, and the Su-30 is a hair under 22m. The P-51 Mustang was under 10m.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I use a Zaku III as a ruler and gauge how tiny or average height a MS is.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I use the Zaku III to gauge the length of butt plate skirting.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/ikasuteaka/status/1123196266450538496

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

chiasaur11 posted:

Wing is pretty tiny by Gundam standards. There was a stretch from F91 to X where Gundams were shrinking. Ended with Turn A, which got the main Gundam back up to a comfortable 20 meters.

I love seeing the MG F91 next to the RG Sazabi, and the Sazabi is noticeably larger despite being a much smaller scale. UC suits just kept getting bigger from 0079 through 0096, and then got way smaller after.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, I have my F91 next to my 1/144 suits just because of the stand it came with and next to the HGs and RGs it just looks like it's in that scale.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Zodack posted:

There is actually a wild custom Grimoire that has the GP-02 shield bashed with the K9 dog pack legs. Used it for waterslide placement reference when working on mine

Google's failing me. Do you have pictures of this thing handy, by any chance?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Veotax posted:

Yeah, I have my F91 next to my 1/144 suits just because of the stand it came with and next to the HGs and RGs it just looks like it's in that scale.

I've been meaning to pick up some kind of UC Federation Master Grade to put next to my Gelgoog, and I'm strongly considering the F91 2.0 because F91 owns and the kit is apparently really good, but with the size difference I think it might look weird as hell. I'll probably wait for the Alex, or get some GM or another.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Aoshima's ACKS MechaGodzilla is going together quite nicely.

Good thing I planned on painting it though cause the base plastic color is UGLY.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

ANAmal.net posted:

I love seeing the MG F91 next to the RG Sazabi, and the Sazabi is noticeably larger despite being a much smaller scale. UC suits just kept getting bigger from 0079 through 0096, and then got way smaller after.

Yeah, a lot of my collection tend to be Wings and other stuff in Wing so when I do get the occasional thing that isn't from AC it just towers over them haha

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is there a site/resource that has a photo catalog of different paints on actual plastic under different lighting conditions? I used this chart to buy some tamiya rattlecans to mess with but after after testing them found the colors are quite a bit different than I expected.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Kuvo posted:

Is there a site/resource that has a photo catalog of different paints on actual plastic under different lighting conditions? I used this chart to buy some tamiya rattlecans to mess with but after after testing them found the colors are quite a bit different than I expected.

Are you priming pieces prior to painting? As this will alter the tone of the paint once applied. (This would also happen on unpainted pieces.)

http://otakurevolution.com/content/laymans-gunpla-guide-priming-tutorial

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
ya i used a gray primer. It was more that the colors I picked were lighter/darker or slightly off hue than the chart seemed to indicate.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Kuvo posted:

ya i used a gray primer. It was more that the colors I picked were lighter/darker or slightly off hue than the chart seemed to indicate.

The charts are never really that accurate for a multitude of reasons. There are too many factors on both ends, from the camera and lighting used to take pictures of the color samples, to viewing it on your (most likely) uncalibrated monitor.

Your best bet is to try to google any model builds that used those TS colors, and try to approximate it based on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

grassy gnoll posted:

Google's failing me. Do you have pictures of this thing handy, by any chance?

I could have had my shields wrong? Anyhow, here's the kit. Really cool stuff.