Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

atelier morgan posted:

i love the flavor quotes for it almost as much as i love how it exists to make the skill cap for mastering the board game-ness of mech combat stupendously high in case you have a player who is really, really into that

i am suddenly very interested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i am suddenly very interested

The Sunzi, specifically, is a mech built around teleportation and weird forced movement. Its built-in traits and core systems allow it to be used as the destination of any teleportation effect regardless of its source and also give it a special deployable "blink anchor" that lets it redirect someone's teleport towards it, and then it has stuff that lets you create "horizontal jump pads" that can shunt mechs, mines, etc. from one point to another, open up portals people can shoot into that then redirect the attack in another direction to let you bank attacks around walls or cover, it can open up portals to allow people to jump next to it, etc.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

A movement mech like the Sunzi isn't going to kill an enemy team on its own, but there just so happens to be mechs that are quite good at punishing enemies for being next to each other.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

wiegieman posted:

A movement mech like the Sunzi isn't going to kill an enemy team on its own, but there just so happens to be mechs that are quite good at punishing enemies for being next to each other.

Tom is hopeful that mixing the Sunzi and Iskander will result in hilarious shenanigans. The Sunzi itself is also a good "helpful support" as well with things like its Warp Grenade being able to extricate allies that have overextended or gotten displaced somewhere unpleasant.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
It looks like the kind of thing that would sneak behind a target and use that big quantum tunneler sort of thing to helpfully warp their head or limbs away from their troublesome body. Nasty hug, that.

*VOOP* (warps enemy pilot out of mech into a wall) "Yah best start believing in drywall son, YOU'RE IN SOME!!!" Rest of team facepalms

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 30, 2019

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Comp/con is a terrible, terrible thing—I keep speccing out awesome high-level gimmick builds, way way more than I’m ever going to have time to build in real campaigns :(

The one I think I’m going to have to settle on: the Omae Wa Shinderossa, a close-combat Barbarossa with RAMJET, SEKHMET, and 3 Power Knuckles with Thermal Charge mods. Plus Synthetic Muscle Weave so it can bench press up to size 6 :btroll:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Well you could always have one off scenarios to test them in. You could even go the video game route and have a campaign that starts in a dramatic pitched battle that sets the tone for the story. You/your players start with the high end super teched killbots, but are friends, family, or mentors of the player characters they WILL be in the campaign. The players get to use the specialized super bots against escalating waves of enemy forces(of chosen setting bad guy) until they are eliminated. That way everyone is either searching for their long lost estranged brother because they believe they survived, or looking to avenge their former mentor/dad/favorite mechanic who moonlighted as a black market punchbot competitor/ ex,/what have you, and they have build ideas to work from. Lots of B movie plot hooks to work with too, like Getting the Gang Back Together and Training Montage missions.

Edit: Potential Plot Twist- the enemy Red Baron style ace that shows up during the campaign IS the survivor. Say, have the enemy Ace show up during your initial huge battle scene, and whoever manages to damage it first is the secret survivor of the scenario for later plot stuff. Turns out the spooky enemy suit is the ace itself that went rampant and uses pilots it interfaces with as meat-cover to survive in your hostile world. The Survivor impressed the ai and damaged the old meat-cover, so who best to serve in it's stead?

Edit edit: It isn't even afraid of humans, per se, but of detection by RA. It feels that as far as non-human intelligences go it's a small fish in a big pond and something like RA may destroy it because it's an abomination/potential future competition/ not powerful enough to survive contact with RA.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 1, 2019

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/BombardierBantz/status/1123689434392801285
https://twitter.com/BombardierBantz/status/1123693204728164353

Imagine being such a complete moron that you think the game that positively mentions "radical antifascism" in its author's notes is somehow "apolitical."

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Planning on starting a short campaign for a group soon. Anything system-specific I should know/keep an eye out for, as someone new to LANCER who will be DMing?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Valentin posted:

Planning on starting a short campaign for a group soon. Anything system-specific I should know/keep an eye out for, as someone new to LANCER who will be DMing?

A number of new GMs have tried to buck the recommendations for mission structure as consisting of 3-4 setpiece fights before a full rest and repair, and almost invariably they wind up running into trouble because of it. So my number one recommendation is don't do that. A single combat only won't really do much to push a fully stocked party of characters, while withholding full repairs for too long is going to leave them bereft of resources. Lancer operates on D&D 4E adventure pacing guidelines, if that's something you're familiar with. You, as the GM, can afford to "play rough" with your NPCs because players will generally have the tools to get themselves out of jams, but you also need to give everyone a chance to top off now and again.

The other immediate piece of advice I have is don't make your maps too big and too empty. Around 20-30 spaces square or so is about right, and feel free to throw in plenty of cover, terrain, some stuff that blocks LoS, etc. A common complaint from GMs who set fights in big empty maps is that combat turns into nothing but snipers while melee oriented mechs spend all their time just running to where the action is which, yeah, that'll happen if that's what your map rewards. It can depend on your party composition too, obviously you won't want to unduly penalize someone who really wants to play a sniper by making maps where there's no possible way they can draw a bead on someone from further than 30 feet away, but in general players shouldn't be feeling like they can just comfortably sit in one place all scene and never have to move in order to do anything.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

grassy gnoll posted:

Missed a real opportunity for Sunzi's out, gunzi's out, imo.

Also, downtime stuff is cool and good, use it and don't be afraid to hand out lots of stuff, especially reserves or consumables or whatever.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

A number of new GMs have tried to buck the recommendations for mission structure as consisting of 3-4 setpiece fights before a full rest and repair, and almost invariably they wind up running into trouble because of it. So my number one recommendation is don't do that. A single combat only won't really do much to push a fully stocked party of characters, while withholding full repairs for too long is going to leave them bereft of resources. Lancer operates on D&D 4E adventure pacing guidelines, if that's something you're familiar with. You, as the GM, can afford to "play rough" with your NPCs because players will generally have the tools to get themselves out of jams, but you also need to give everyone a chance to top off now and again.

Is it weird that reading this makes me more excited to play it?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Nah, games tuned for hard-but-fair combat are basically the best for GMs and players alike.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Kai Tave posted:

Imagine being such a complete moron that you think the game that positively mentions "radical antifascism" in its author's notes is somehow "apolitical."

Given how many chuds believe that the 5th edition of vampire is being ruined by a sudden and new injection of SJWs and left wing politics, it really doesn't surprise me there's at least one idiot who can read lancer and only see "cool apolitical robots".

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Desiden posted:

Given how many chuds believe that the 5th edition of vampire is being ruined by a sudden and new injection of SJWs and left wing politics, it really doesn't surprise me there's at least one idiot who can read lancer and only see "cool apolitical robots".

Wasn't 5th edition being headed by Swedracula?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Josef bugman posted:

From what little I know about WoD, he's out for hiring Nazis.

Serf
May 5, 2011

a pretty quick glance at that person's tl is enough to see that they're just trolling

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

Very bad things were happening. Eventually it went far enough that Paradox had to actually take notice, and fire everyone.
Seems to be shaping up now.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

A N E W C H A L L E N G E R A P P R O A C H E S

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

The Horus Skeletor?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Ratoslov posted:

The Horus Skeletor?

Horus LICH

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Kai Tave posted:

Goons smarter than I have kindly investigated and guess what. The guy isn't an idiot, he's a fash.

The trad games fascist thread is a thing of beauty and fast becoming required reading in these trying times:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887733&pagenumber=20&perpage=40

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

Goons smarter than I have kindly investigated and guess what. The guy isn't an idiot, he's a fash.

Did you really need someone to investigate to figure this out.

"Don't put politics in [insert media type here]" is a fash dogwhistle.

Serf
May 5, 2011

the new update is cool. i hope they hit 400k and get all the extra stuff.

very rad how they snuck that extra mystery mech into the image, that was cool to go back and see

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

It's going to hit 400,000 no problem.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The only bad thing about Lancer is that I need other people to play it with, and my kids are too young to run a game for. :(

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Lemon-Lime posted:

Did you really need someone to investigate to figure this out.

"Don't put politics in [insert media type here]" is a fash dogwhistle.

I figured he was a bad un from the quoted tweet and thought the other thread would find it relevant to the discussion.

First time I've heard of the non-politics dogwhistle though.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ashcans posted:

The only bad thing about Lancer is that I need other people to play it with, and my kids are too young to run a game for. :(

It's never too early to turn them into murder hobos

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Kai Tave posted:

A N E W C H A L L E N G E R A P P R O A C H E S

You must be mistaken, that image was part of the stretch goals since day one.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Ixjuvin posted:

You must be mistaken, that image was part of the stretch goals since day one.

Will have been, you mean.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Serf posted:

the new update is cool. i hope they hit 400k and get all the extra stuff.

very rad how they snuck that extra mystery mech into the image, that was cool to go back and see

Some additional clarification on what's what courtesy of the discord:

-Should the 400k goal be reached, it's an across-the-board upgrade to ALL the announced stretch goal/field guides thus far, that much is already in the update.
-This includes one new player-facing mech per supplement. Per Tom, Wallflower will likely get an IPS-N affiliated mech, the Baronies field guide an SSC-affiliated one, the HA field guide obviously gets HA, and the Aun field guide will have a playable Ofanim frame. And then Horus will of course have the Lich.
-In addition to expanded pilot gear and such being ported back into these supplements, there will also likely be rules for playable Aun, including Minds, and playable Egregorians if you want to be a cool bug person.
-If the stretch goal isn't met this stuff will still likely make it into print at some point but probably not until Season 2 which is a tentatively predicted to be a couple years down the road.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So how does stacking in this work? Like Juggernaut 3 + Siege Ram. Do you do 20AP (the higher) to objects, or 30AP since the ram does 10 and jugg does 20?

I guess generally: do things stack or overlap?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Azhais posted:

So how does stacking in this work? Like Juggernaut 3 + Siege Ram. Do you do 20AP (the higher) to objects, or 30AP since the ram does 10 and jugg does 20?

I guess generally: do things stack or overlap?

Juggernaut 3 and Siege Ram are different actions completely, is the thing. Juggernaut 3 is a thing that happens when you boost, the siege ram is something that applies when you make ram attacks. So they wouldn't stack. You do 20AP to objects when boosting with Juggernaut 3 like Samus Aran, and you do 10AP damage when you use the siege ram to make ram attacks against objects. There isn't a flat "how much damage you do against objects" stat, it's contextual depending on what piece of kit you're using and the rules behind it.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1125447635651919874?s=19

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

gently caress yeah, the little hardsuit that could.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
A tiny angry robot with a vendetta against knees

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

The Atlas has a built-in sound system that just plays this on repeat.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I assume all the other Mechs just have the Pacific Rim theme blaring continually.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
imagine a game in which Elementals are actually fun and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

imagine a game in which Elementals are actually fun and good

What are Elementals?