Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I have a new AMEX Delta credit card and tried to buy an airline ticket yesterday but Delta's website was throwing errors and the transaction was failing (not due to CC rejection, but because of errors on Delta's end - their customer support told me this directly).

As a result of trying several times, I now have two large pre-authorizations on this AMEX. Together, they go over my credit limit and AMEX sent me an email advising me that I was indeed over the limit.

I tried to purchase the ticket once more today and the AMEX finally rejected the purchase outright.

I successfully purchased the flight, but had to use a different card.

Critically, *ZERO* of the tickets are actually being purchased on the AMEX. After these pre-authorizations clear in a few days the balance on the AMEX will go back down to just a minimal amount.

Does all of this negatively my credit or my relationship with AMEX? I am concerned that, since this card is only about a month old, this may be a bad look for a new customer.

(FYI I will be paying off the CC in it's entirety right away. This is not some bullshit buying-beyond-my-means or debt rotation scheme.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I have a new AMEX Delta credit card and tried to buy an airline ticket yesterday but Delta's website was throwing errors and the transaction was failing (not due to CC rejection, but because of errors on Delta's end - their customer support told me this directly).

As a result of trying several times, I now have two large pre-authorizations on this AMEX. Together, they go over my credit limit and AMEX sent me an email advising me that I was indeed over the limit.

I tried to purchase the ticket once more today and the AMEX finally rejected the purchase outright.

I successfully purchased the flight, but had to use a different card.

Critically, *ZERO* of the tickets are actually being purchased on the AMEX. After these pre-authorizations clear in a few days the balance on the AMEX will go back down to just a minimal amount.

Does all of this negatively my credit or my relationship with AMEX? I am concerned that, since this card is only about a month old, this may be a bad look for a new customer.

(FYI I will be paying off the CC in it's entirety right away. This is not some bullshit buying-beyond-my-means or debt rotation scheme.)

I'd call Amex, inform them of the Delta error, and see if they can remove one or more of the 'duplicate' auths. If it's for the exact same amount it's more likely they can help you.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

astral posted:

I'd call Amex, inform them of the Delta error, and see if they can remove one or more of the 'duplicate' auths. If it's for the exact same amount it's more likely they can help you.

I do not mind waiting for the auths to clear on their own. I am not under pressure to keep the card immediately usable, I have few expenses in the near future.

I am much more concerned about possibly impacting my credit or relationship with AMEX.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Shouldn't effect your credit, as while your credit report may reflect the highest reported balance on a tradeline, when a statement cuts, which is what is reported, it should only include charges that aren't "pending" in the way pre-auths are. As for your relationship with AMEX, doubtful, but I would call.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I have a CC with Chase. I've had it for about 6 years and have never missed a payment.

I went online to make a payment, and noticed that my balance of ~$2K was now showing a negative balance. Apparently a few weeks ago, I received an Interest Charge Reversal and a Returned Payment Adjustment, both of which combined to total just over $2K. My credit score also went up 20 points as a result of this. The account is still active, and I was still able to make a couple of purchases after this happened but before realizing all of this.

I'm pretty sure Chase hosed up, but I'm absolutely not using this card for anything until I figure this out. Part of me wants to call them up and be a responsible adult, but the other part wants to ride it out for a bit. Any thoughts?

gregday
May 23, 2003

Weird, BoA did something similar to me in the past month. I have a reversed interest charge of around $6 and a reversed ATM fee of around $21. I have never accumulated or been charged interest on this card, and the last time I used it at an ATM was over 2.5 years ago.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I'm thinking there's some other customer out there who was due an adjustment in their favor and didn't get it. If it were me I'd just call and request an investigation.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

shyduck posted:

I have a CC with Chase. I've had it for about 6 years and have never missed a payment.

I went online to make a payment, and noticed that my balance of ~$2K was now showing a negative balance. Apparently a few weeks ago, I received an Interest Charge Reversal and a Returned Payment Adjustment, both of which combined to total just over $2K. My credit score also went up 20 points as a result of this. The account is still active, and I was still able to make a couple of purchases after this happened but before realizing all of this.

I'm pretty sure Chase hosed up, but I'm absolutely not using this card for anything until I figure this out. Part of me wants to call them up and be a responsible adult, but the other part wants to ride it out for a bit. Any thoughts?

Unless you were actually owed over $2k: make the payment you were going to make. It's not a bank error in your favor; it's a bank error that will cause you more headaches than you want to deal with when they resolve it and suddenly you have a very late payment.

Gazpacho posted:

I'm thinking there's some other customer out there who was due an adjustment in their favor and didn't get it. If it were me I'd just call and request an investigation.

Agreed.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

astral posted:

Jerk McJerkface maintains a referral spreadsheet; I'd recommend opening a amex general referral link in a new incognito window, navigating to the plat card from there, then close it and try again if it doesn't get an elevated offer for 75k. It can be random (determined on opening based on location, existing cookies, and voodoo) whether it gives you the 75k offer or not.
Can/should we add other cards not listed?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

astral posted:

Unless you were actually owed over $2k: make the payment you were going to make. It's not a bank error in your favor; it's a bank error that will cause you more headaches than you want to deal with when they resolve it and suddenly you have a very late payment.

Agreed.
Chase won't let you pay a credit card that has a credit on it. Autopay solves the issue that arises once they fix it. I'd also call Chase immediately - the secure message folks won't be able to understand this one.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Small White Dragon posted:

Can/should we add other cards not listed?

The first sheet is locked, if you tell me what cards to add I'll add blank references and pages for them. It only takes a second.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

SiGmA_X posted:

Chase won't let you pay a credit card that has a credit on it. Autopay solves the issue that arises once they fix it. I'd also call Chase immediately - the secure message folks won't be able to understand this one.

There is more than one way to make a payment. Two alternative ways that come to mind are pushing from another bank or nostalgically sending in a check.

I wonder if they'd accept a payment in-branch when there is a credit, for that matter.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Was debating about a CSR for a while. Pulled the trigger a few nights ago. Should be real interesting seeing how much use I'm going to get out of the perks/rewards.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Anyone know anything about European credit cards, specifically Spain? How is this card so good? What am I missing?

If you can't get Google to translate it for you, it's 5% cash back on everything for the first year, then 3%.

They have another that's 7% cash back at department stores...

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 27, 2019

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
It says 5% on all “compras aplazadas” which I understand to mean “paid in installments”.

From the marketing it seems like it’s a card geared to people who want to stretch out big purchases on multiple payments. The card then gives you a fixed interest on the payments.

If the cash back is only for purchases made on an installment plan, I doubt you come out ahead.

If the 5% applies to any purchase, regardless of whether it’s paid in installment, then it seems like a good deal.

I’d double check the actual agreement before signing.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Hmm, I understood that as "deferred purchases" which I thought was just describing the buy-now-pay-later aspect of using a credit card. You're probably right though, that would make more sense. Deals that good don't exist here. Anyways, I'll have to figure out how it really works.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

It says 5% on all “compras aplazadas” which I understand to mean “paid in installments”.

From the marketing it seems like it’s a card geared to people who want to stretch out big purchases on multiple payments. The card then gives you a fixed interest on the payments.

If the cash back is only for purchases made on an installment plan, I doubt you come out ahead.

If the 5% applies to any purchase, regardless of whether it’s paid in installment, then it seems like a good deal.

I’d double check the actual agreement before signing.

that's not a credit card it's a layaway card

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have the Blue Cash Everyday Amex that I use just for groceries, and I'm thinking of upgrading to the Preferred. Is there an easy way to figure out how much I spent on groceries in the past year or how much I got in rewards, to easily figure out if I come out ahead after paying the $95 Annual fee? I poked around my AMEX account and couldn't find anything, but I do have it in Mint if that helps.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

I have the Blue Cash Everyday Amex that I use just for groceries, and I'm thinking of upgrading to the Preferred. Is there an easy way to figure out how much I spent on groceries in the past year or how much I got in rewards, to easily figure out if I come out ahead after paying the $95 Annual fee? I poked around my AMEX account and couldn't find anything, but I do have it in Mint if that helps.

Make it easier by calling in and seeing if there's an upgrade offer. Often there's a $250 for $2k spending bonus upgrade offer.

Using the old statements/activity interface, click 'graph and filter your transactions' - you can filter by category, then click merchandise&supplies, then click groceries.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

The breakeven point between the cards as a grocery-only is $3,166.67/year, or $263.89/month. 

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Well that was easy, I spent over $5k on groceries in 2018, and the $250 for $2000 spend promo is active now, all I had to do was click a couple buttons and a new card is on its way. Thanks, I'd missed the "see previous version" to see the "old" interface that could easily track spending categories.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

Well that was easy, I spent over $5k on groceries in 2018, and the $250 for $2000 spend promo is active now, all I had to do was click a couple buttons and a new card is on its way. Thanks, I'd missed the "see previous version" to see the "old" interface that could easily track spending categories.

Nice; enjoy!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Coincidentally:

quote:

Starting May 9th, American Express will add two new reward categories to the Blue Cash Preferred card.

6% cash back on more than 20 US streaming subscriptions (including Amazon Prime, YouTube, HBO, Netflix, Apple Music, and Pandora)
3% cash back on transit purchases including parking, tolls, train fares and ride shares (including Uber and Lyft)

source: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/a...uber-2019-05-02

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Well that'll make it even easier to hit and exceed the breakeven point for me, along with it becoming my gas card as well.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
An acquaintance from college is the VP of Lending at AmEx, so I get to see her quoted when all these cards come out with new changes.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

This is phenomenal! I have had this card for ages, we spend a ton on groceries every year, and these added categories make cutting the cable cord that much more appealing. WOO!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Does that mean that an Amazon Prime sub is 6% CB? You can't buy the video on it's own right? I already have the Prime Visa, so I'm getting 5% as it is.

Also a plug for:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Goon Credit Card random referral page:
:siren:https://goo.gl/aA5mzH:siren:

Since it's on there, I just got a Chase Ref through it, so it's working.

If anyone wants me to add new cards, let me know.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Does that mean that an Amazon Prime sub is 6% CB? You can't buy the video on it's own right? I already have the Prime Visa, so I'm getting 5% as it is.

Not sure! I suppose it could be for the Prime Video Channels (e.g. HBO) if those code differently on cards or if they are just going by the amount charged.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

An acquaintance from college is the VP of Lending at AmEx, so I get to see her quoted when all these cards come out with new changes.

Was she hot?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Insane Totoro posted:

Was she hot?

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/fashion/weddings/elizabeth-wise-peter-bergman-weddings.html

Not too shabby. Impressive she went from joining AmEx as a Manager in 2012 to being VP in 2019. Makes me question my career trajectory and progression greatly.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

TraderStav posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/fashion/weddings/elizabeth-wise-peter-bergman-weddings.html

Not too shabby. Impressive she went from joining AmEx as a Manager in 2012 to being VP in 2019. Makes me question my career trajectory and progression greatly.

A VP there averages 10 years of experience and makes on average $180,000. It's not like an EVP where you make real obscene bucks.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I want to make sure I'm not messing my math up here but if I get the Chase Freedom Unlimited and use a referral for the 3% back on the first year but plan to move those points to my Sapphire Reserve, that effectively makes this a 4.5% card (when redeemed for travel, which is what I do with UR points) for all purchases for a year, right? Up to $20k? If so, putting my rent on it would also make sense since there's a fee that comes out to 2.5% but this would be keep me above the fee for the year at least (in which case I'd go back to paying by eCheck or whatever).

Planning a trip to Japan next year and trying to do it all with points if possible. If there are better ways to get to Japan than UR points, I'm all ears! I went to the winter Olympics last year using points accumulated from the Reserve only, so I'm hoping to go bigger/better for the summer Olympics.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 4, 2019

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

A VP there averages 10 years of experience and makes on average $180,000. It's not like an EVP where you make real obscene bucks.

Ah, that's like a Manager at my company (Fortune 250 Utility) including bonus / annual stock grants. Director level base but need more than 10 years experience.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Just FYI if you have a Barclays card/account in the US and can't login, it's not just you. Seems to be having widespread issues.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Chaotic Flame posted:

I want to make sure I'm not messing my math up here but if I get the Chase Freedom Unlimited and use a referral for the 3% back on the first year but plan to move those points to my Sapphire Reserve, that effectively makes this a 4.5% card (when redeemed for travel, which is what I do with UR points) for all purchases for a year, right? Up to $20k? If so, putting my rent on it would also make sense since there's a fee that comes out to 2.5% but this would be keep me above the fee for the year at least (in which case I'd go back to paying by eCheck or whatever).

Planning a trip to Japan next year and trying to do it all with points if possible. If there are better ways to get to Japan than UR points, I'm all ears! I went to the winter Olympics last year using points accumulated from the Reserve only, so I'm hoping to go bigger/better for the summer Olympics.

Yea you can freely transfer chase UR points across their cards like that. However, they increased the timing between when you can apply for the CSR. I think it's like 4 years between when you last had a sapphire card and when you can re-apply for one and get a sign up bonus. So keep that in mind if you are counting on that bonus. I might be wrong on the details, but a few months ago I looked into re-applying for the CSP after using/cancelling CSR the year it came out and was told I had to wait longer to get a bonus on signup.

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
All my insurance policies are due this month to the tune of $2350. Any specific insurance reward cards? I was hoping chase ink had a bonus a la cable/phone/internet but it seems like that's a no. If not I'll just use my CSR.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

ManDingo posted:

All my insurance policies are due this month to the tune of $2350. Any specific insurance reward cards? I was hoping chase ink had a bonus a la cable/phone/internet but it seems like that's a no. If not I'll just use my CSR.

Get a better points return out of an unlimited, but that's all I got.

lgcty5
Jan 4, 2003

ManDingo posted:

Chase just sent out some emails offering between 3x and 5x points on insurance (amongst a few other categories) on the CSP. It's targeted, so I'm not sure if you would get it if you were to apply now. But it could be worth a shot if you have a P2 who hasn't had the CSP yet.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Hi thread, sounds like Citi Double Cash is the best straight 2% card right now is that right? I have unexpected expenses that have come up (car repairs) and would like to maximize rewards, but there are no cards with a relevant category, so is Double Cash my best bet?

Freedom Unlimited looks ok (I have a CSR) but it's annoying how 3% is the promo rate for a year then it goes down to 1.5%, so I'd rather have the straight 2%.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Something Offal posted:

Hi thread, sounds like Citi Double Cash is the best straight 2% card right now is that right? I have unexpected expenses that have come up (car repairs) and would like to maximize rewards, but there are no cards with a relevant category, so is Double Cash my best bet?

Freedom Unlimited looks ok (I have a CSR) but it's annoying how 3% is the promo rate for a year then it goes down to 1.5%, so I'd rather have the straight 2%.

If you have a CSR, then the 1.5% from the Freedom Unlimited is more valuable since the redemption rate for UR is higher for CSR users. Just use the FU, transfer the UR points to the CSR and redeem. FU, Freedom and CSR is a potent combination of cards.

Unless you want straight cashback, which would probably be the doublecash.