Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

be aware, progression works but servers are still laggy as gently caress. Private servers are hit and miss but sometimes they're dumb and have custom rules like double damage or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
hitting somebody with a flying falchion right in the face before they can hit you with their stupid pole arm or giant sword and getting the kill for yourself instead is very satisfying and pretty funny when you retrieve it out of their dead body

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Trying to play this game with friends is a loving nightmare.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
have the material scientists figured out how colors work for team games

I want to maximum pretty up my lad

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

Midgetskydiver posted:

Trying to play this game with friends is a loving nightmare.

As far as I know, once you're in a party with friends, the party leader joins a game and then you have to like watch for the "join on friend" button to appear and click it? Then hope your slot didn't get taken.
Why can't the party leader just drag the party into games instead of doing this bullshit?

Stokes posted:

Bear Traps are incredible.
You can have 4 out at a time. So you can hold 2 + your main weapon, and refill to your hearts content if you survive that long. I like to preplace one and then get someone chasing me and see me obviously place a second, so they take the next shortest route and activate my trap card. If they're heavily armored you just hit them with your frying pan.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Cowcaster posted:

does anyone have that old chivalry video of a bunch of people probably with australian accents just goofing off with each other

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv6RbEOlqRo

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
While XP/gold was locked, I made a few peasant perk characters to try out the various weapons. Quarterstaff, rusty shovel, and scythe are legit. They might not win you any 1v1 fights, but in teamfight modes they are great. I was really getting into flanking light armored guys and reaping them with the scythe.

For actual builds, I'm really liking tier 2 armor, short spear + kite shield, throwing axes. Would look real snazzy with some viking armor cosmetics.

edit: can't wait for :females: so I can be a hideous grandma hucking beartraps all over and smacking knights with a frying pan

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

Update on the gold/progression issue: they posted a status update 20 minutes ago. They've disabled unlocking equipment, and they may have found the problem and they're working at it right now. Also stated earlier, they are not resetting anyone and they're just going to give us a bunch of money.

I think I'll wait a while before jumping in, the game's apparently so popular that a bunch of things just broke. You know what, I'm just glad it's getting traction, proves there's a market for these games.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I think whoever it was that was asking about minimum specs/potato computer viability just bought the game to test it themselves, but I have an extremely budget PC (mid tier i5 CPU, 8GB RAM, overclocked fanless 1030GT) and it runs with everything on ultra at 1600x900, or mix of high/medium settings at 1920x1080. The biggest bottleneck for me is that I don't have an SSD, sometimes it takes half a second for textures to load at the start of a round. Haven't played on servers with more than 64 players, but everything so far has been smooth.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

The Fattest PI posted:

As far as I know, once you're in a party with friends, the party leader joins a game and then you have to like watch for the "join on friend" button to appear and click it? Then hope your slot didn't get taken.
Why can't the party leader just drag the party into games instead of doing this bullshit?

You can have 4 out at a time. So you can hold 2 + your main weapon, and refill to your hearts content if you survive that long. I like to preplace one and then get someone chasing me and see me obviously place a second, so they take the next shortest route and activate my trap card. If they're heavily armored you just hit them with your frying pan.

I made a build I call the Can Opener where I trap them and if they're not dead yet, I decapitate them with a poleaxe.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

I think I'll wait a while before jumping in, the game's apparently so popular that a bunch of things just broke. You know what, I'm just glad it's getting traction, proves there's a market for these games.

Honestly as soon as they sort the server issues out, I'd recommend getting in, if you're at all interested. Everything else pretty much works as intended and it's great.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You can couch the estoc when mounted, I was really surprised. Do any of the other two handers let you do that?

Also had a really fun moment against a spear and shield user where they maneuvered themselves into a real bad corner so I just kept kicking them until they died.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

really glad money and XP are finally working - I've got the Messer I'd been pining for and now can start playing pretty-pretty-prince (until they add women at least)

game is a blast, I'm still quite bad

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I finally played a frontline match and was top 5 wearing light armor and the spear. The alpha nerds wearing light armor and zweihanding are easy peasy once you realize that they are just wading in spamming left to right strikes.

The number one player was just hucking axes at their head.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Me and a buddy cornered one of those obnoxious 1337 pro horse ridin' alpha players and smashed the poo poo out of his horse with mauls and his horse literally exploded and threw him far enough in the air that fall damage killed him.

11/10 best game ever. YOUR WIFE IS A HOBBY HORSE.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

It's pretty much all fixed now. Come play mi'lord.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

WITCHCRAFT posted:

I think whoever it was that was asking about minimum specs/potato computer viability just bought the game to test it themselves, but I have an extremely budget PC (mid tier i5 CPU, 8GB RAM, overclocked fanless 1030GT) and it runs with everything on ultra at 1600x900, or mix of high/medium settings at 1920x1080. The biggest bottleneck for me is that I don't have an SSD, sometimes it takes half a second for textures to load at the start of a round. Haven't played on servers with more than 64 players, but everything so far has been smooth.

I just turned the clothing physics off . I can’t tell if its server lag or CPU lag because of the state of the servers at the moment . It’s playable and smooth but idk if the servers are just constantly making GBS threads themselves

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Imo server lag. The entire servers ping would hop from 30 to 300 ping randomly. Made for awful fighting tbh, think I'll stick to horde until their servers stop melting.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
It was hit or miss with servers for me. One server was pretty consistently showing as the lowest ping frontline at 20-30 but I had 300+ once I actually joined. Others seemed better but I wouldn’t say any were really good. Smaller player numbers seems fine.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

the perks in this seem pretty, uh, bad altogether. there's not a lot of good ones, friendly withstanding (though even then)

like, dodge is pretty pricey but the dodge is just a man's length left/right/back, which... isn't really useful in any situation, that's not far enough. A swing/stab is still going to connect barring it being a frying pan stab.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I was on a 64 person dueling server and it was laggy , but not unplayable . 20 something dueling servers seem to be best right now .

The rapier is insanely deadly .

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

the perks in this seem pretty, uh, bad altogether. there's not a lot of good ones, friendly withstanding (though even then)

like, dodge is pretty pricey but the dodge is just a man's length left/right/back, which... isn't really useful in any situation, that's not far enough. A swing/stab is still going to connect barring it being a frying pan stab.

Dodge looks real bad until you realize just how much worth you get out of a few inches to the left or right. I'm starting to get real good at turning my camera to dodge people swinging at my head, and I've been able to snake past people trying to stab me with dodge more than a few times. The hit and hurtboxes in this game are really accurate.

I'm starting to fall in love with the warhammer, having an alternate swinging mode where you just spin it around to put the pain on lightly armored guys is really useful and it's a fun weapon to listen to as it smashes poo poo.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
hearing the heavy breathing of the heavy armored guys as they run out of stamina swinging their purple monkey dishwasher weapons and then they drop them from exhaustion is great

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
The one where you heal on kill and dodge have been pretty good for me. I made a naked guy with only points in perks with rat/friendly/bloodlust (or whatever it's called)/brawler/dodge/flesh wound and I can just go in and duck and weave through attacks while punching people to death. If I get one of those 11 point weapons I can really just go ham on people and the only reliable way to keep the build from going at least 1:1 on kills is to chop his head off immediately.

Spear users right now are really, really bad about actually hitting you with their stabs if you dodge to left or right, so you get a free punch in on their face when they try. With Rat I can duck and scurry around pretty quick and people don't hear me coming at all so I get a free punch or weapon swing in on them while their backs are turned.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
you can kill people with 3 good punches and it’s very satisfying .

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Spear users are also going to be stabbing you 80% of the time so it's a good time to get some chambering practice in.

I've found a good way to get people riled up is to make fun of their knight. I love telling people their super shiny set of armor must mean they've never set foot on the battlefield, huh? Also call everyone Geralt.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Commoners posted:

The one where you heal on kill and dodge have been pretty good for me. I made a naked guy with only points in perks with rat/friendly/bloodlust (or whatever it's called)/brawler/dodge/flesh wound and I can just go in and duck and weave through attacks while punching people to death. If I get one of those 11 point weapons I can really just go ham on people and the only reliable way to keep the build from going at least 1:1 on kills is to chop his head off immediately.

Spear users right now are really, really bad about actually hitting you with their stabs if you dodge to left or right, so you get a free punch in on their face when they try. With Rat I can duck and scurry around pretty quick and people don't hear me coming at all so I get a free punch or weapon swing in on them while their backs are turned.

I don't think people realize how you can track with a stab. They just kind of plant themselves and thrust.

Babe Magnet posted:

Spear users are also going to be stabbing you 80% of the time so it's a good time to get some chambering practice in.

I've found a good way to get people riled up is to make fun of their knight. I love telling people their super shiny set of armor must mean they've never set foot on the battlefield, huh? Also call everyone Geralt.

The last time I got the chance to play tabletop with my friends IRL was a few years ago and it was game of thrones. Being able to remake everyone's characters as my merc retinue has been a real pleasure.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
My problem with Dodge is that I can absolutely never remember to loving use it.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

If you have a free point, spend it on something that comes as a matter of course like stamina gain on a hit, passive Regen or the one that gives you 80% fire resist.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

spend it on friendly so you only take 60% of your total match damage from your own teammates instead of 70%

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I throw my fire grenades at any teammate in a 1v1 and if they don't run away and the enemy does then we deserve to lose and my team needs to get good

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Ran into a guy with a bunch of music macros for the lute. He would run up to 1v1s and start playing duel of the fates or flight of the bumblebee and it was great.

At one point I was in the middle of a fight and I turned on him and chucked two pans at his head, killing him, before killing the guy I was 1v1ing. My duel partner failed to save the music.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
man this game is fun

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Commoners posted:

Ran into a guy with a bunch of music macros for the lute. He would run up to 1v1s and start playing duel of the fates or flight of the bumblebee and it was great.

At one point I was in the middle of a fight and I turned on him and chucked two pans at his head, killing him, before killing the guy I was 1v1ing. My duel partner failed to save the music.

How uncouth. No surprise though as commoners just don’t appreciate the fine arts

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm starting to really like the humble warhammer as a backup weapon. It's cheap as hell at just 2 points, but it's still capable of killing even max-armoured tin cans in just three hits (two if you hit the head). It's reasonably quick to swing and even has an alternate mode that offers a decent damage boost against people with light/no armour. Only downside is its short range, though usually when I'm using a class with several weapons I'm at medium/fast speed anyway.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'd enjoy this game even more if it didn't start severy stuttering for a few seconds every few minutes. Really loving cool to be in a nice fight that's going well and suddenly HRRRKRRRKK and I'm dead because i can't loving see what's happening.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Nordick posted:

I'd enjoy this game even more if it didn't start severy stuttering for a few seconds every few minutes. Really loving cool to be in a nice fight that's going well and suddenly HRRRKRRRKK and I'm dead because i can't loving see what's happening.

I was having this problem the other night too.

Day 1 no problem, ran amazingly well on 64 player frontlines

Day 2 intermittent freezing up despite having rock solid locked 60 fps

I ended up turning off cloth physics and the next day I had no problems. I’m not sure if it was the cloth physics or something server side being overloaded, but it seems to be gone for me now

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Horde mode is fun but boy howdy do they need to fix bot pathing. The strategy thus far is to get into a ladder tower and rain down arrows while the bots all pile up next to the tower flinging poo poo up at you & plastering the side of the tower with it.

Also I opened an Epic Chest for 200 points and got a bear trap worth 10 :argh:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

oldskool posted:

Also I opened an Epic Chest for 200 points and got a bear trap worth 10 :argh:

I feel like Horde mode needs the equivalent of Pack-a-punch for higher difficulties. The enemies slowly gain more armor over time and you can hardly duel sixty enemies at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

CuddleCryptid posted:

I feel like Horde mode needs the equivalent of Pack-a-punch for higher difficulties. The enemies slowly gain more armor over time and you can hardly duel sixty enemies at once.

It works well with 24 players once you get past wave 10. With the default of 6 the pathing exploitation and kiting are all you can do to have a chance.